Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I apologize for having not read all of this thread, but it's a quick question.

So this is the first time I've lived somewhere that I'm not 30mins away from a garage full of decent tools, which means it's time to start my own set. I have literally nothing, and am just looking for the basics. I grew up using Craftsman tools, I've only ever broke one ever while working with them, and sears replaced it that day. Is Craftsman still a good brand? I'm talking very basic stuff here, screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets.

Also, with regards to wrenches, I see all kinds with weird ratcheting features, or the socket-style end rotated 90*, what are your feelings on these, improvement? Or just get the good ol' and simple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

So I checked the resource thread, and I couldn't find my answers, so I've come here asking for advice.

I've worked on cars all of my car owning life. The problem is, I've always worked on cars at my family home, or in a friend's garage. I don't have my own tools. I'm at a point now where I have a place to keep them, a garage to work on cars in, and sort of have the means to afford some tools. Great, I want to get baby's first toolest, but where to start? I have some questions I'd like to ask and if you feel like answering them or writing some "Idiots guide to spending lots of money on tools" I would appreciate it.

To the questions though,

I'm starting out with nothing. Zero. I have a pretty basic idea of what I'll need, at least initially, (1/4 3/8 sockets, wrenches, hand wrenches, car jack, jackstands, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and go from there) anything else I'm forgetting?

I've used Craftsman tools all my life, but is there something else I should try? I'm not going to spend Snap-On kind of money here, I just need some basic tools, but I'd like to get a good deal. What is your favorite brands as far as hitting the quality/price sweet spot?

Retail/Ebay/Craigslist, where do I get em? I've got time to be patient and I can try to get them through other means, but if I try to get it online, is there any problem buying used? What should I watch for? Is there such a thing as counterfeit brand tools?

I'm sure there's more questions I'm not asking, but I just figured I'd ask you guys some stuff and see what advice I get back. As I said I've got time, I'm thinking about slowly aquiring all of this stuff as I find good deals and hopefully around early summer when I have my garage cleaned and prepared for the man cave it will be, I can have a decent starting tool set to work with.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

daslog posted:

What's your budget?
What do you plan to work on?

Budget is very little. I can spend 3-400, but over time. I'd rather put it together a set of sockets here, a wrench there. Obviously jackstands and a jack are something I would like to have high quality parts of. I can't believe I forgot the big loving hammer. I recently changed the timing belt/water pump on my 928 and the 4lb dead blow hammer the shop I was doing the work at had was loving invaluable.

And yeah, I'll mostly be working on my Porsche 928 and a 95 Saturn SL2 - I've been able to get away with just metrics and barely needed SAE's my whole life.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

daslog posted:

It's craigslist for you! Setup the RSS feed.

Done and Done - any recommended searches? Right now I have "Socket" "Ratchet" and "S-K" set up to search, should I modify these or add some extras?

Another quick question regarding the 3klb aluminum racing jack at HF, it says rated at 3000lb, I mean, it'll be fine for my two cars, both of 3200lb or so, right? that plus the smaller 3 ton jack stands, no need for the bigger ones, right? Might have to go buy those this weekend, or should I wait for a sale?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

So I went to a garage sale and bought some tools today

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I bought 2x 1/2" ratchets, breaker bar, torque wrench, and a gently caress ton of sockets
3/8" ratchet, and a gently caress ton of sockets
1/4" ratchet, and a gently caress ton of sockets
a gently caress ton of hand wrenches
SAE re-tapping tools
some ramps

Most of the tools are Craftsman or Proto/Challenger. Unfortunately most of it is SAE and I am looking for metrics, but at $60 for the whole thing I figured it was worth it regardless. As it stands, I now have to buy a 13mm 3/8" socket, and a 13mm ratcheting box-end hand wrench, and that should cover most of the hand tools.

I still have a couple questions about what I should do though. I now have a whole poo poo ton of nice SAE tools I don't think I need. Should I keep at least one set of the sockets for each size, and sell the rest? I know I shouldn't get rid of all of them because you never know when you'll need a certain tool, but do you think it'd be worth it to try to sell the extras on e-bay most likely, and use that towards buying more tools or just keep it? I essentially have an extra set of each size SAE sockets, either Proto or Craftsman, that I could sell and still have one of every size.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Edit: Apparently Fleet and Challenger were both tool sets made by Proto, ignore this post then.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 9, 2009

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Is this 10% off about the best I'm going to get on that 89.99 aluminum racing jack and some of the 3 ton jackstands?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Kynetx posted:

Assuming you get the emails, maybe... Maybe not. 20% coupons have been making the rounds lately.

I do not get the e-mails, but I will be now. I don't have anything to do right now, I was just hoping to wait for a good deal.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Who are these people that correctly torque wheels every time? :psyduck:

My car has aluminum lugnuts, they feel like plastic in your hands. 85ft-lb of torque for each one. It says in the service manual explicitily "DO NOT USE WITH AN AIR WRENCH EVER" and immediately after has the correct procedure for removing sheared off lugnuts.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Kynetx posted:

20% off at HF Coupon! Yaya.

Whoah whoah whoah, can anyone use this?

If so, I've got some money to spend. Hook a brother up!

edit: Just checked my inbox, there she is!

Korwen fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 20, 2009

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Post 20% coupon. I need a garage for my WRX, its covered in green allergens. I want to work the magic of clay and swirl remover but there is no point if I don't have an unstable $2000 harbor freight garage to put it in.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0000

Does this work for you guys?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

I stripped the poo poo out of one of my brake hose fasteners (11mm). How can I get this off?

vice grips, or try to file down some flat sides so you can grip a smaller wrench on it.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

All of the craftsman ratchets I've picked up in garage sales have the metal direction choosing lever, which I take to mean they're of better quality than the newer models. That having been said, I'm still on the e-bay hunt for a good 3/8" snap-on or SK 8" or so handle ratchet.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

seriouspost - I may have a line on a used Craftsman 25gallon 4hp compressor. Guy says it works, but you have to disable the safety valve. I imagine that's important.

Is there a way to replace/fix this valve, if so any idea how much? He said he'd sell it to me for $40. If I can get this valve fixed for $20 or so, $60 for a 25gal compressor would be :krad:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Sweet - sounds like I might be getting a compressor - now to scour the web for air tools.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...99&keycode=0000

:v:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I picked up the compressor today. It works, but it's not in the greatest of condition. It's been used, a lot.

There's some peeling of the paint and slight surface rust. The filter screen has cracked off, so I'm going to have to figure out some way to get one on there. I am going to sand off the surface rust and respray part of it. It'll look ghetto as gently caress unless I do the whole tank, which I might eventually do. I drained the tank and very little liquid came out, however. Is this dangerous? Is it a deal breaker? With another $20 or so I can get it back to very workable condition, I just want to make sure it's safe.

So now I have something to work on in the meantime.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I'd pop an inspection plug and check out the inside of the bottom of the tank. You can also remove the drainplug and see if its covered in rusty crap. If it is, then the tank is rusty, and you'll be guessing at how badly until you get it checked with a thickness gauge, or just get a new tank and transplant the compressor motor and whatnot.

Okay, well, now I'm having a problem with it. It keeps blowing the breaker I have it on. It runs, compresses air fine, then the circuit breaker pops for whichever one I have it on. Is there a temp way to just get it running for more than 15 seconds without it blowing one, or am I just boned? Could the problem be with the motor, or is my breaker just not beefy enough?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

is it a 220V compressor that youre running on a 120V line? Outside of that circumstance a 110V anything shouldnt be pulling more than 15A.

It was a "hybrid" that could be converted to run on 120 or 240 I do believe, tomorrow I can pull all the numbers off the front cowl.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

If you have a 220V dryer/generator outlet and its single phase hook it up to that. You can get the electrical connectors cheap on ebay. (I got 220 3ph conectors for 1/4 the price of home depot and they work perfectly fine)

Could I bother you to give me an ebay link to what you're talking about, because I have no idea and searching on ebay is not helping me at all. I do have a dryer outlet in the garage we're not using, so I think that'll work if I can get it connected to that. I'll try to take photos of everything today.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Sorry I am not trolling through the whole thread for this answer, but I appreciate it.

I'm going to need a soldering iron. I don't want to spend stupid amounts, but I want the best quality I can get for a budget cost. I'm going to have to solder wires on to the back of the printed circuit for my gauge cluster, as I have a few lines that have burned up, and need repairing, as well as some other spots.