Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's also Walmarts Hart brand that feel like toys in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

I took the tweet to mean fail as in the saw portion falls off and hits you,

this is way more metal though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any Ryobi guys have one of the 18v vacuums?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And apparently they shoot lasers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

um excuse me posted:

Now if you want to see bullshit, I also ordered a foaming hand sanitizer dispenser identical to what you see in hospitals. Refills used to be 17ish, now they're over 40. Just going to manufacture my own at this point.

My employer also owns a distillery and when poo poo popped off they retasked everything into making hand sanitizer. We all got one free bottle (in a whiskey bottle lol) and I can buy extras for $15 per bottle so that's a nice perk.

As for gloves, Menards seems to be getting stock on the regular and prices seem to be not much higher than they were last fall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We used a $50 emergency transfer pump from menards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

Build a Tron suit with El wire.

People have and it's s usually terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

any good recs on a multimeter?

Going by this page you should buy a lovely one and wrap some blue painters tape around it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

I, too, like to plug a classic iPod into my car's tires

My tires are now full of hoobastank and papa roach

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

On what? The Enterprise?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Or anything that comes through Jiffy Lube based on stories I've read.

So they just use it to hammer the old filter off?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing I dislike about Menards is the one closest to me is frequented by the Amish who are throwing a religious fit about masking and also horse poop in the parking lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hell if I know. I have a half dozen confirmed horror stories about living adjacent to the amish.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Play nice guys. We've got too much bullshit going on IRL to squabble.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In a pinch you can lob your used oil jugs through the windows of your local republican party headquarters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Virgil Vox posted:

If your using the ryobi 18volt or Milwaukee or harbor freight they have a battery hand held portable inflator. I have one and use it often for autocross to air back up.

There's two ryobi hand inflators, the deluxe one is the better buy. You attach the hose, set the pressure and hit start and you can just leave it until it's done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I picked up a second one at a ToolDirect place down south for $30 so my wife has one in her car now too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh it's deafening. But it tops up a tire in minute.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sharkytm posted:

Only Home Depot.

Menards seems to have some fuckers at the top.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I use the multi tool a lot when installing laminate floors. Good for cutting door frames to fit floor and for notching out pieces to fit around corners.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah sexy gentleman alllllll daaaaaay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MRC48B posted:

Before SAE came out with the "Standard" imperial sizes we know and love, 25/32 was a thing. You will find it on really old (pre 1950s) cars and industrial machinery.

I think I have two or three sockets I inherited from my grandfather in that size.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LobsterboyX posted:

Can you believe someone was throwing this extremely dangerous thing away?

it needs a cord replacement, but I really don't think I'm man enough for this thing - its comically heavy- I think this just may be garage decor - I don't feel like getting electrocuted, breaking my wrist, removing a finger or slicing an artery with this thing.

Hood ornament.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ryobi is the best bang for the buck for non-professional level power tools. Plus the ecosystem is crazy. I have an 18V glue gun? Who the gently caress needs an 18v glue gun? I don't know but I fuckin got one!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StormDrain posted:

Nobody is locking you in, it's just more convenient to have matching batteries. It's nice for me to use the same battery in my cordless jigsaw and buying it bare tool was cheaper than the kit. If I was doing a ton of jigsaw work I may have gone with another brand since this one is just OK.

It's pretty clear at the store which are premium brands and which arent. Big flashy displays with a ton of tools are the better ones.

I started on Milwaukee only because I won mine at a company event. I have used those drills for like... 8 years I think.

The displays for Dewalt, Bosch, Rigid and Ryobi are nearly identical at Home Depot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StormDrain posted:

Oh not at mine. There's a big end cap that's half Mil and half Mak and it's clear they're the flagship.

At HD? I mean, Ryobi is their store brand so it gets a lot of endcap space. Plus they have huge Ryobi displays over in lawn & garden. Kind of like how Walmart has HART stuff in 3 or 4 locations in the store depending on application. (Hart is also Mil/Ryo).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's on my upgrade list. My sister has one of the smart ones that works with delivery people and opens the door so they can put Amazon boxes inside the garage and I need that magic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mentor a kid at work and his fiance got him a Hart starter pack from Walmart. He had them in his truck and I must say, they don't feel like the toys they look like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

I just wash them by hand in the sink, but a washing machine is do-able.

Some of the shops around here have a "shop" washing machine for things like this, or uniforms if they don't use a service.

I use simple green and water in a 5 gal bucket and I agitate it with a huge paint mixer drill attachment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Okay guys... affordable cordless ratchet. Not talking impact, just something that's 90 degrees and can make PITA jobs a little less PITA. My only cordless tool right now is a Ryobi impact that's already dying (throws sparks and makes the garage reek of ozone), so I'm not really married to a brand. This is for casual garage work and junkyard trips. And a new cordless impact that can share the same battery system as the 90 degree wrench. Kinda leaning toward Harbor Freight for affordability, though I'm not opposed to going with Ryobi if it'll use the same battery (it does mean I'll keep running the impact until it finally dies completely).

Also, arbor press or hydraulic press? Going to be doing bushings on my car. Car is pretty rust free, so hopefully stuff comes apart somewhat easily. :ohdear: It'll be a Harbor Freight press either way.

The ryobi ratchet is like $80 and comes with a battery and charger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah bizzarely ryobi is actually cheaper than hf in this case

I lied it's $90

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Cordless-3-8-in-4-Postion-Ratchet-Kit-with-1-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-P344K/313581338

This is on my want list but I'm worried they'll release an HP+ version as soon as I buy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe the 18V batteries have been the same for a while, is your current impact a One+ model?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Yeah it is, just a beefier 4aH battery instead of the 1.5aH. The charger that came with the impact is way, way beefier, and I can't find the drat thing (I think it's buried in the back of my storage unit). I wonder if that cute little one can handle charging this battery?

I have 7 or 8 chargers now, it just takes longer for the little guys to do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought the 6 port mega charger as it was easier than managing a half dozen little ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Note that the huge battery on the Ryobi is going to make it impossible to put that ratchet in most tight places.

Which is where the 1.5 the tool comes with comes in handy. I have 4 of those for times like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's also double the price, STR said he wanted a cheap option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrOnBicycle posted:

drat didn't know Ryobi had a ratchet. Would you guys to 3/8" or 1/4"? I'm thinking 3/8" since 1/4 is a bit small... but the again I don't have much (if any) 3/8". Ryobi claims 60nm. But yeah the Milwaukee one is nice, but then again I already have Ryobi batteries.

Are electric ratchets as good as they look?

It's a recent release, in foreign markets for years but not here until last summer i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

doesn't the ryobi have a head that swivels to account for the buxom battery

It does.