Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

ease posted:

Have you ever done rear disc brakes? On most foreign cars (not sure about US) you need to push in and rotate at the same time because of the screw type e-brake mechanism.

On the compressor thing, yeah I'm going to do it. Mine only gets 6 and 9 SCFM. I have 240 outlet in my garage I wired up for testing a hot tub that I no longer use

I had my rear pads and rotors replaced this past summer and I think they tried to use the rotating part to screw me. They told me both calipers in the rear were seized and would need to be replaced. They started making calls but the only place that had them was a Mazda dealer at around $350 a pop I think. I was pacing around all pissed, making phone calls, canceling plans, etc.

Then I see the guy who was working on the car call someone else over who said "I'm right about something for once" loud enough for me to hear while pacing in the parking lot. I walked over to see if they had any luck and the guy said "yeah, turns out you need to rotate them to push the pistons back in"

So, I have a feeling that if the first place they called had new calipers in stock at the low low price of $200 a piece they would have just ordered them on the spot and stuck me with the bill, but since they couldn't find them for a reasonable price they pretended they didn't know how to do the brakes on a Mazda. I have a hard time believing a garage wouldn't know something like that.

I wish there was a foolproof method of finding a garage that doesn't suck. I wish I had my own garage to do my own work in actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I just saw this post on Toolmonger...

http://toolmonger.com/2009/01/19/take-a-ride-on-the-bone/#more-18718