Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I decided that I was sick of dithering about what hand tools I needed to pick up to do some simple maintenance on my car and after reading numerous positive opinions of HF's Pittsburgh brand I picked up the 301 Piece Mechanics Tool Kit yesterday for $143 after a 20% off coupon. I haven't done any wrenching with it yet and I will be the first to admit my tool knowledge is based mostly on this thread, but given that it's extremely inexpensive price I thought I'd give my first impressions:

• Holy crap there's a ton of stuff here.
  • There's no interchangeable head screwdriver with a billion little bits. This isn't a negative, but actually a surprise since usually all "xxx piece tool kits" pad their numbers with a ton of obscure screwdriver bits. This one manages to get to 301 pieces without that.
  • Not a ton of filler as a whole. There's two sets of hex wrenches (long and short) in both SAE and metric, which seems redundant to me, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me could speak to this. There's also two sets of 1/4" drive SAE sockets, both 12pt and 6pt. No idea why, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have backups.
  • Set is heavy. Shipping weight is 47 pounds and it feels at least that heavy to me. I wish they'd broken them up into two different cases because it feels awkwardly heavy to carry it one one case with an uncomfortable handle.
  • Case is decent. I was happily surprised to see that the latches are metal rather than the ultra cheap plastic poo poo I see on most molded cases like this which breaks very quickly.
  • The screwdrivers are usable quality, but definitely felt like the cheapest part of the set. The handles are super light plastic. There best use would be to augment a decent interchangeable bit, ratcheting screwdriver. If you have a screw that's too tight to get in with your ratcheting driver than pull these out.
  • There are certainly some things that either aren't included or aren't as useful as they could be in their included state. This breaker bar and this extendable ratchet are on my short list for upgrades, but the included items definitely work for their purposes.

Based on my initial opinions going through the set and the unanimously positive reviews on HF's website I would highly recommend this set for anyone who doesn't already own reasonable quality versions of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

HF has a pretty decent sale going on today. The famous 301 Piece Tool set is $140, the 1/2" Torque Wrench is $10 and they have a 3 ton floor jack with good reviews for $60. Prices are only good online and only until 10pm PST.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

you dont need to be a costco member to get stuff at the food court.

this was news to me.

If it's outside you're fine, but if it's inside maybe not. I've been asked for my card when walking in the exit to get food before.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Powershift posted:

costco, eneloops. I don't think they do 9vs, but the AAs will run for like 6 years being drained and charged daily.

Their Eneloop packs are on sale until 10/23, FYI. 8xAA/4xAAA for something like $23. If you want C/D/9v things get a bit more complicated, unfortunately.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Since I use mine chiefly for opening boxes, I use those $0.49 ones they usually have at the cash register at Harbor Freight. Lighter than anything in that video as well :smug:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Is there any great reason to own an air compressor? I keep finding myself looking at them, but the only current need I have is inflating automobile tires occasionally, which I currently do with a lovely 12v compressor. If I ever needed an impact wrench it seems like the electric options are cheaper. I'd love to talk myself into one, but I don't have a ton of garage space and it seems like I'd be better off with a $45 120v inflator.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

CamelCamelCamel just notified me that Amazon has a Warehouse Deal (essentially open box return) on the California Air Tools Compressor everyone here loves so much. Currently $101. Not sure what "acceptable" condition means, but they're pretty good about returns if you have an issue.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

slidebite posted:

One of my earliest memories was being put on finger pick up duty and scouring the back yard of grandmas place after when my dad severed parts of 4 of his fingers "fixing" grandmas running lawnmower.

Kids! Go find your dads fingers!

They weren't able to re-attach them so it was futile anyhow. But hey, life loving experience was had by the 3 of us!

:stare: And I say that as someone whose dad is missing 1/2 a finger due to an incident with a big agricultural mower.

wormil posted:

My dad used to reach under running mowers, he never got hurt but I never understood taking the risk. Idiotic.

What can you even hope to accomplish doing this?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can you do something like periwinkle?

On a more serious note I've reached hillbilly status. Harbor Freight is sending me two catalogs a month with slightly different names (not my fault). Mailman either thinks I'm a genius or an idiot in order to garner 20% coupons.

When I moved into my house I was a HF catalog in my name and one in the previous owners name. Oddly enough, they were different catalogs and his had better deals (25% off coupons when I'd only have 20%). All I could think is that maybe he'd been an ITC member at some point or bought enough to get a better catalog.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I can't get my wife's Jetta up onto ramps to change the oil due to low clearance (and fairly steep ramps). Is there a relatively cheap and compact jack I can use to put it up on jack stands? Looks like a bottle jack would be too tall.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Hadn't considered stacking boards in front of the ramp. That sounds like the best solution to start.

Follow-up question. My metals ramps slide around like crazy on my garage floor when conditions are wrong (wet tires, etc.). Is there some dumb trick to get them to stay still? I've tried rubber pads underneath, etc. with mixed success.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Sounds good. Am I right to be grabbing a $20 torque wrench from Harbor Freight, too?

Don't pay $20 for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I posted about this in one of the homeowner threads, but I didn't get any feedback, so I figured I'd try here.

A couple years ago I moved to a house with a fairly steep lawn in the backyard (30+ degrees in places). I still have the Toro I used at my last house which is a 190cc front wheel drive, but that is drat near useless here so I'm looking for something with more ability to get up the hills.

Right now I'm looking at these two models:
Toro All-Wheel-Drive 163CC
Troy-Bilt RWD with zero-turn wheels

The Toro has AWD going for it, and lots of good reviews mentioning hills (although in many parts of the country, "hill" is much less steep than what I have), but most of what I read indicates that AWD is not much more powerful than RWD. It's also only 163cc, and since my other complaint with my current mower is that it clogs a lot if the grass is a little too green and tall I worry about power.

The Troy-Bilt has the zero-turn wheels, which seems like it could be helpful in the flat portions of the yard. Also 190cc.

Any thoughts or advice?