Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

PainterofCrap posted:

$60 yard sale score.

Recommendations for 1/2 airline? I plan on piping with galv down to my garage.
Use "L" Copper, not galvanized steel. The price is a little higher, but you won't get steel rusty bits in your air tools and most importantly, any paint job you do, and its easier to work with, just solder it, no need for pipe tape or threaded fittings or having to thread pipe. I'm running my air lines this weekend (hopefully), and I'll take pictures if you are interested.

Copper is outrageously priced these days. It also involves heating and soldering the pipes. edit: also copper does rust too, but too a lesser extent. The smallish amount of copper oxide is much easier to filter out but it still gets into in paint and tools.

The "new school" way of plumbing garage air lines is nylon lines push-lock connectors.

Eastwood sells a ridiculous priced kit for like $200 but gently caress all that. Most industrial parts houses can get you just the pieces you need for much less. All you need to install is a cutter and a cordless screwdriver to mount the hardware to the walls wherever you will need it.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 27, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

sideshowalan posted:

Anyone have an opinion on spring compressors?
The struts are going to get replaced on my 01 Corolla and my spring compressor choice is down to either:

HF Clamshell style: This is my top choice so far, seems like it would be faster than the '2 sticks' method.

Craftsman Compressor: I'd trust the build quality of this over the HF clamshell but it seems like it would take longer. Also there's the fear of one of the sticks sliding over and pinching my finger off.

The HF $12 "screw it they're good enough" compressors have already been ruled out, they just look too flimsy.

Of course there's also the option to just take all 4 of them out, run them over to a local shop and have them switch the struts out using their big hydraulic compressor. But I'd rather just spend the same money on my own comprssor and be able to do it again anytime in the future

To ensure that you will actually be able to use these tools more than once, use grease (I like anti-seize compound) on the threads and run the greased portion into the pinion before working. I also recommend against using the impact wrech on them. Doing so will help ensure these tools can be reused next time you need them.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Today at 6pm PST this item goes on sale on the daily shellshocker deal for $24.95
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

:siren: You get two for this $24.95 price!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EX0GP8427

This is the most compact model

The cheapest one of these on Amazon prime (free shipping) is $15.49 and it is a bulkier one
http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B0090ZJPMK

You use it with your:

Bluetooth enabled laptop; using a plethora of software

Bluetooth android device; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque

iPhone; https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183

For the android device there is a free "lite" version, but for that cheap I recommend the full $4.95 version.

I used one of these devices, my Droid X, and this software to disable "flags" for a 200x camaro that didn't have cats anymore. No more complaints from the ECM. If he would have put the cats and associated sensors back on, I could re-enable with a quick checkmark.

I put it on my wife's 2009 outback out of curiosity and reviewed engine functions and saw I could perform similar mods.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wait, you were actually able to disable certain codes with one of these, rather than just clearing? What software on what device?

Also, any chance you've been able to test this particular one with an early OBDII Ford? Most of the China327s don't work well on those.

Device: Droid X
Software: Torque

not clearing, actually toggled to disable code/flag

Only plugged it into a camaro and a Subaru. Nothing else yet.

I am working from memory, but this was about 2 or so years ago.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

blindjoe posted:

I bought the AEM UEGO because it doesn't need calibration. The innovate has "ability to calibrate" as a feature, but to me, thats a failure. The manual for the innovate says "must be calibrated often" and "must be in free air" in that you have to take the sensor out. Pass.

I helped a close friend install a Ford Mustang 5.0L EFI and all in his 1970 Ford Bronco. Since his eventual plans involved either supercharging or turbocharging, I urged him to install a AEM UEGO and a fuel pressure gauge.

He used it to identify 3 major problems with his installation right off the bat.

First a major vacuum leak from an unseen/forgotten open port that could not be seen without mirrors and flashlights.

Then he identified a fueling issue using WB02 together with the fuel pressure gauge. It turned out to be the custom fuel pump pushed too close to the bottom of the custom tank blocking the inlet/sock.

Lastly it along with the fuel pressure gauge identified a bad adjustable fuel pressure regulator spring. Kirban sent him another FPR right away and gave him the option of returning the other in an included prepaid pouch on the honor system.

The use of the WB02 for a few months intimately acquainted him with the normal behavior of the fuel ratio under varying engine operating parameters.

He recently installed a larger set of injectors, a C&L MAF, and a Kenne Bell supercharger. It was invaluable there as well as it allowed him, without a dyno, to tune the motor using nothing more than the MAF, AFPR, and an FMU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Some loving rear end in a top hat in IRC just showed this to me
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4700

now I am trying to decide what I have to sell so I can buy one and ruin everything I own made of metal loving around with it.

edit: JFC! http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4100

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 12, 2013