Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

boxen posted:

Huh, I wonder if that's a thing everywhere. In my area, I can leave it by the recycling bin if I put it in a clear plastic container with a screw top. Finding those is the hardest part, I have to plan grocery purchases around oil changes.

every autozone and oreilly ive ever been to accepts oil for recycling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what're people's thoughts on ratcheting combination wrenches? specifically, versus buying a set of regular combination wrenches. useful tool or mostly gimmick-waiting-to-break?

e: i have a socket set already

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i mean they were, what, two generations removed from oil just bubbling out of the ground all over pennsylvania, texas, and southern california so its not hard to see the A to B there

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

im so glad everything i own is metric

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thanks for the info on ratcheting wrenches yall

how do i avoid buying a lovely floor jack that will drop my car

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Buy one from Costco

lord help me, costco has $200 off the 2.5ton quickjack. i should not buy a jack set that costs more than my car's worth, but i want to

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Haha that's a baby lift. I was still talking conventional jacks but hey man you do you.

i guess the appeal is partly that having something i could easily take with me to the track or whatever, but if im being honest its mostly just "whooo gizmo" appeal

ive got a while before i'll be doing suspension work on my project car, so i've got a while. ive got ramps already and they do everything i need that doesn't involve taking the wheels off

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what's the best way to score used tools i couldn't afford new? craigslist? estate sales?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

OfferUp is full of questionable sellers too.

you can choose to be bothered by buying tools stolen from home depot...or just not

i would prefer to buy tools stolen from a big box store, actually. i'd even consider paying a premium for it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

is there any appreciable difference in power or torque from plug-in tools? Wouldn't running on 120v make them blow all cordless stuff away? I heard someone from Australia remark that american tools not running on 240 was a bummer. I mean it must not make a big difference or they'd be more popular. What gives?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what's the advantage with a small cheaply-made parts washer over a bucket, a gallon jug of simple green concentrate, and a set of brushes

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

please tell me you wear a respirator while agitating a bucket of fuming carcinogens

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Slick posted:

Parts washer talk. For small parts.

I have an ultrasonic. ~dentist model $300 it will fit a carb, The trick is turning up the heat settings. yeah it makes metals bright, but..
I have a Harbor freight style parts washer, the filters wear out. I've tried simple green, Purple magic. I use the kersone -ish safe fluid with it, Adding a magnetic engine heater helps heat the fluid. A lot of labor time, but what really works is:

I bought the large vibrating tumbler and a spare bowl from Eastman. The ~20lb model. Green pyramid medium, dilute simple green. And a 5 piece 5-gallon bucket classifier set off amazon.
Put in parts, come back a couple hours later they are clean. If I want polishing. Put on the bowl with walnut media & a bit of polishing compound. check it in the morning, bright polished parts.
Cleanup is water.

Really easy to dump out the bowl into the smaller classifier filter, catch the run off in a bucket and then dump the green media back in for whatever round of parts is next. About as loud as running the pump on the regular parts washer tank. quieter than ultrasonic.

is there supposed to be a picture or a link here

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Nobody:

Project Farm: Thank you for your comment!

dude no kidding. his fastidious attention to detail does not stop with uploading

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

how are harbor freight's rechargeable stuff? i imagine its like a lot of HF's stuff, "all over the map" so i guess the question is, what harbor freight impact wrenches don't suck

their battery prices are downright cheap compared to everyone else's

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that's what I would have thought, but seeing various harbor freight goods range from "the worst by some margin" to "outperforming several name brands" on project farm made me want to ask

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

pressing things into or against other things, with less force than a hydraulic press is capable of

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Gives you huge mechanical advantage on pressing things together, but still gives you the ability to have tactile feedback.

Elviscat posted:

Quicker than a hydraulic press though. They've fallen out of favor with hydraulic presses being more versatile.

Useful if you're press fitting bearings all day or something.

those too. they're also lower-maintainance than a hydraulic press, being basically a rack and pinion on its side

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

corded drills are really cheap, too. especially if you're considering paying a machine shop to make you something

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

where on the chart does "pile of mismatched tools from various dead relatives and/or the auto parts store" land me

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i've heard of F being used as a slight oversized reamer for getting 1/4" pins to fit without needing to be pressed. i think the letters are for when they ran out of gauge numbers?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i'll add that poly socks can be a cheaper and lower-maintainance alternative to wool. anything's better than cotton as a base layer. wool is warmer than poly when dry, poly wicks a little better and is warmer when soaked, but unless you're wading around in ice water you'd probably never notice a difference.

if you're on a tight budget, cheapass store brand mens poly dress socks are usually the best bang for your buck. anything but cotton

also i had to learn the hard way that buying two pairs of boots and alternating them, even with a boot dryer, will still usually make them last longer than the two pairs bought sequentially

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 12, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

I just got a bunch of old rear end tools from my grandad's Garage. Y'all motherfucks talk about your awesome 72 and 84 and 96 tooth ratchets?
I think one of the ones I got was about a 5 tooth ratchet. And a bunch of sockets that are actually hex drive rather than square.

nice. when the hell did anyone make hex drive sockets

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

wait are you talking about where the male part is on the socket, like you'd use with a power drill?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Here's one of the sockets from my weird Austrian dirt bike kit.

Drive end.

Business end.

far out. i never knew that was a thing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

kastein posted:

For cheapness, a pail of gas and some rubber gloves that won't dissolve in it plus an old metal strainer will let you marinate, scrub, and re-marinate as needed. Good thing to do outside or with the garage door open, and cheaper per gallon than most equivalent solvents per can.

A quick dip and shake in any alcohol or acetone will wash the gas residue off.

please don't do this. it's needlessly dangerous when plenty of other options are available. hell, a tablespoon of plain dish soap in a spray bottle of water is basically free.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

kastein posted:

There's a reason I said outside, and honestly dish soap and water is not even close to comparable. You can get more done in a 5 second dip and shake in gas then you will scrubbing for a minute with soap. It's great if you have a lot to run through at once because you can get the whole pile marinated, shaken free of most of the gunk, out of the gas and rinsed in alcohol or acetone and the lid back on the fire-death-bucket well before you'd have the first ten pieces painstakingly hand scrubbed with soap.

I wouldn't bother for a few pieces since it's not worth the time and risk, but when you've got a whole collection to do, it can be worth it. It'll even take butyl rubber sludge, road tar, 4 decade old dielectric grease that's turned to tar, and old paint off.

outside with a lid makes it safer, yes, but no amount of precaution-taking will make it as safe as even diesel, let alone a dedicated degreaser. and i didn't say dish soap was as good, i said it was cheaper.

e: seriously, degreasing with gasoline is dangerous enough to get a mention in Shake Hands With Danger, the industrial film that makes other brilliant suggestions like "don't let bulldozers freewheel downhill" and "don't work in confined spaces in large machinery with the engine running"

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 15, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

net work error posted:

My old Harbor Freight battery drill is pretty dead and no longer holds a charge so I was looking into what brand to get next. Normally I'd just get whatever but with the way tools are now I'm going to dealing with vendor lock in depending on what I get.
From reading the thread it seems like Ryobi is fine as long as I'm not doing serious work with it which I won't be. Mostly minor home DIY and some auto repair. Is that right? Is Milwaukee the brand to go with if I wanted something more serious or long lasting?

just to be clear, the HF drill itself is borked? or just the battery? because HF's replacement batteries cost less than some of the knock-off batteries for the other brands. Why not get a new battery?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

you run out of lawn to mow much sooner than running out of drugs?

both problems solved by moving out in the boonies

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i got a slide hammer, hub pullers, and a screw-drive bearing press with cup set in the mail and am just waiting on parts to do my first bearing change. hopefully I don't kill my car's front suspension

e: i also still need to beg borrow or buy a jack and a breaker bar. is there any reason to not get a harbor freight 1/2" drive bar?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The ryobi ratchet is like $80 and comes with a battery and charger.

yeah bizzarely ryobi is actually cheaper than hf in this case

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

doesn't the ryobi have a head that swivels to account for the buxom battery

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

angryrobots posted:

The non-fuel version of the M12 ratchet is only $90.

Where? homedepot's website has the 3/8" and 1/4" non-fuel ratchets for $150 each, tool-only

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-3-8-in-Ratchet-Tool-Only-2457-20/203111681

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1-4-in-Ratchet-Tool-Only-2456-20/203111679

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

huh, sure enough. That's wild that the price difference is that huge. Maybe it has something to do with both the amazon and walmart listings being from third-party sellers

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Looking for some T handle allen keys that have the wrench on the side of the handle. Just for bike work since I lost a 4mm normal allen key somewhere and figure I'll just buy another better set. :v:
Any thoughts on these? Will my hands thank me for something much more expensive and nicer?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-14-Piece-T-Handle-SAE-MM-Hex-Key-Set-HTHKSM14PCN/204153272
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-14-key-Metric-Standard-SAE-Hex-Key-Set/1000366459

a little late but for bike stuff parktool's 3-way :quagmire: allen stuff is the bee's knees. i have the ball-end 4-5-6 and the 2/2.5/3 they're great for "what is this bolt again? a five? no its a six" and in my experience the only time i need more torque on a bike than the ball end can provide is rusty old poo poo the po overtorqued, and i have a set of regular allen keys and some vice grips for that

e: part numbers are aws-3 and aws-8, here's all their allen and torx stuff:
https://www.parktool.com/category/hex-torx-compatible-tools

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i evaporusted and wire brushed a bunch of old tools to a bright shiny bare steel silver only to find out there isn't a single hardware store, big box store, or even gun store with a bottle of cold bluing liquid in stock for over a hundred miles. guess i'm just fogging everything with wd40 and waiting for it to come in the mail

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i considered hot bluing, but i dont trust myself to get these parts hot enough evenly enough with a torch

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

300F is 148C, which is plenty manageable by an oven, aye. Good shout.

the target range for hot bluing is 300c-400c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Question, what are the go-to brands for jack stands now? I don't really trust Harbor Freight's third attempt at them after their initial replacements immediately had failing welds.

Second, I know people love the HF racing jacks, any feedback on these? https://harborfreight.com/3-ton-long-reach-low-profile-professional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-blue-56641.html I like the height and the length, seems like it would be very easy to reach the crossmember/subframe to jack up the car compared to the more compact jack I currently have that is getting long in the tooth.

Finally, are there any baseplates or anything like that to make it safe to use a jack and stands on dirt? I've found the farm jack baseplates but they seem to be for one specific type of jack. I was looking at installing a driveway but I can't afford to pay someone else to do it and I really don't feel like wrangling 2.5 tons of concrete pavers and ??? pounds of gravel if there's another way. I've got coveralls, I don't mind lying in the dirt, I just need a hard stable surface for the jack and stands.

E: Wait, would just a thick slab of plywood do for the last part? I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Might want some rubber feet for my jack stands so they don't dig in on the wood I guess?

i got two pairs of autozone's duralast ones because they were steel (and thus cheaper) than HF's aluminum ones

feet would be nice, but I'm using them on concrete so it wasn't a big deal. i would deffo want to put down something to spread the pressure on asphalt and i wouldn't even try using them on dirt by themselves

i'm just spitballing but if the dirt surface is flat and firm, 1/8" steel plate should make a solid base, and you could trim and bend up the sides to make them a little more secure, probably with just a rigidly-mounted bench vice

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 16, 2021