Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I have a 1997 bmw 328is. Its check engine light is on - I'm pretty sure this is due to a recurring quirk something about a fuel vapor sensor or something - I've had it replaced and every time I take it to the mechanic he's just like 'yep, that thing again, let me clear that for you, that'll be 20 bucks'

I don't know much about cars, but I do about computers - is there a cheap like usb-> ?engine diagnostic interface? way I could read and reset my engine light on my own? It just bugs me driving around with it on all the time. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

heat posted:

There are bluetooth OBD-II dongles on ebay that are cheap as poo poo and smartphone apps to pair them with. I've been thinking about picking one up to mess around with.

like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180589934731&viewitem=#vi-content I don't know much about engine interfaces - do they all mostly just do this ODB-ii thing?

30 bucks sounds like the price range I was hoping for, I'd probably pay to be able to reset my loving engine light. can you just leave the thing plugged in at all times? would be sort of neat to just like 'doot da doo' pull up android app while driving and be like 'yeah check out my fuel air mix baby'

edit : google says yes re my OBD question, they're all mostly the same

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thanks for all the help :) looking forward to this bluetooth thing. just nerdy enough to make me happy.