Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

I light fires posted:

If you can get the impact sockets on sale go for it, I find them to have a more precice fit and tend to wobble around less on the end of the imapct gun. I prefer them to my regular sockets when I'm doing anything that requires an impact gun.

I like my impact sockets so much, I use them with a regular ratchet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Anybody got any ideas on what to use this $50 snap on gift card I've had laying around on? I'm leaning towards some nice crimpers or a riveter, but I dont know if the quality justifies the price difference from HF.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Does anybody have experience with this riveter http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12777&group_ID=1783&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
or any other swivel head riveter for that matter?
Is the action going to be harder than a regular straight on riveter?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Anybody used the $13 a/c vacuum pump from hf? Would it work for a simple recharge?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Lowclock posted:

Weird looking combined tools rock

It's like they knew what I do with those and made them better suited for it

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
What's the best HF spray gun for auto paint? I'm gonna tarp off my carport and paint my mr2 with rustoleum using the instructions on instructables.com

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I am in the Dc area, but had no idea there were more.

I just moved up here

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
How trustworthy is the air rating on older craftsman compressors?
There are several older "5hp" 120v models on CL that are advertised as 5scfm @ 90psi, which is more than enough for 90% of what I would use it for, and more than the new "1.5hp" models claim to put out.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
They take up a lot of space but having the compressor opens a lot of doors. Air your tires up, run an impact, nailgun, paint

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
How can I free up my seized gearwrenches(or exchange them for new ones)?
My toolbox got water in it and they sat submerged for probably weeks before I drained it and they are sticking.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Might be a dumb question, but I'm building a house and I want an outlet in the garage for a compressor and a welder. How many volts does it need to be? I see things listed as 220/230/240, etc. Is it all the same thing or do I need to pick one and buy all my equipment to that standard?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

kastein posted:

They're mostly all talking about the same thing. Same as 110, 115, 117, 120, and 125 are all the same thing - just made in different eras and/or some are intended for industrial areas, others for residential, etc. They will all work in the same circuit.

220 = double 110
230 = double 115
240 = double 120

Basically it's just a slightly varying standard, AC line voltage is never really constant. The easiest way to get what you want is to spec an electric dryer outlet (30 amp, 220/230/240/250 volt) or electric range outlet (50 amp, same voltage, w/ neutral) where you want it in the garage.

Which would you recommend for using standard plugs that come on the equipment?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Motronic posted:

Something like this works just fine.

Yeah, you're gonna have to wait a bit if you want to take off all 4 wheels like you're doing a pit stop, but it will work fine for almost all home type situations. Other than painting a whole car or 3/4" drive and larger stuff.

If you can find an older one (early 90s) they have 2.5 HP motors or larger on them and work much better. I'd pay the same price as a new one for an old one in good shape.

I have the craftsman 3 gallon one and it works great for exactly that. You wont be sanding or painting with it, but basic air tool stuff is fine

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I want to seal the garage floor on my new construction house. What should I use?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Can anybody recommend a good electric screwdriver?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
It looked like a lift post to me

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I need some new drill bits! Can anyone recommend a specific brand (or type, material, or something) that doesn't suck rear end after 5 minutes of drilling in steel?

If anyone has a set which they swear by, it would be nice to know. Is there any value to buying a more expensive set, or am I better off using the cheapest I can find?

Cobalt tipped. Use lube and don't let the bit get too hot.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Anyone have any experience with husky toolboxes? The 46" one that's 299 on the site is 240 at my local HD which is about 100 less than the comparable harbor freight one and has that wood top that I could mount a small vise to.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I want the 13 drawer hf tool chest but I want it to be shorter so it will fit under my workbench in my garage.
Does anyone have any experience with swapping the casters for smaller ones? How much harder will it be to roll assuming I never get close to the ton it's rated at?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Are the hf 3 ton jackstands worth a drat?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Splizwarf posted:

Hammer and vicegrips are the only tools you really need. If those won't fix it, sit down and think about your problem some more.

My favorite thing to fix with a hammer is probably windshields. :v:

New thread title.

Tools! - My favorite thing to fix with a hammer is windshields

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
$22 in shop your way points expire today. What do I buy?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

thebigcow posted:

What do you guys like for multi tools? I've never needed one before yesterday so I really don't know what's out there.

Home Depot has Leatherman sidekicks for $25. Rates extremely well for the price

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Maybe posting a picture of this setup will help because this doesn't seem right and threadlocker won't prevent screws from breaking

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Commodore_64 posted:

A properly designed joint actually transfers a large amount of the load from the fastener to the clamped materials, as long as it maintains a certain clamp load. If it gets loose, all of a sudden all of the force is carried by the fastener instead of the joint, making it more likely to break. Or so I understand it.

This doesn't appear properly designed. How is a subwoofer repeatedly breaking high grade fasteners? Is it mounted to a stressed part of the uni body or something? That's why we need pictures because I don't think the problem is with the fasteners and I don't know why nobody has said that yet.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
So let's assume these have a 1' pigtail with a 3 prong connector.
Would it be legal for me to remove my existing ceiling fixture and replace it with a 2 outlet socket, then run an extension cord across my garage ceiling to the pigtail? The ceiling is drywalled.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Battery tenders are spendy but worth every penny.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
This week's free Craigslist score.

It was listed as bad motor. I did some googling and discovered that the switch that disconnects the start capacitor can fail and cause issues including burning up that capacitor. That's what I went in expecting. After an hour drive and $15 in tolls the guy tells me that the pump is bad.

I take it and tear into it. It was used in a paint shop. IN a paint shop so both cylinders were full of dry paint and scored to poo poo.

I also found leaks in nearly every fitting.

I ordered rebuild kits for both cylinders but they sent me the wrong piston for the high side. Now I wait for the right one to arrive and I'm going to replace all the o rings and re Teflon all the fittings.
At least with the tank being full of paint I don't have to worry about rust.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Does anyone have any experience with 3rd party replacement batteries for their tools?
2 of my 4 Dewalt batteries are doa , and only 1 holds any kind of charge. With 1 replacement being $89, I'm looking at 3rd party(probably rebuilt) replacements that cost about what the replacement cells alone would cost if I were to try it myself.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
How much will I regret returning this
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FCE2-15-Amp-10-inch-Compound/dp/B000V5Z6RG

And getting this
http://m.harborfreight.com/power-tools/miter-saws/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61969.html

The Hf saw is only a few bucks more with coupon and with a extra inch of blade plus the sliding, I should be able to do more with it.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Wouldn't it theoretically be possible to get a set of fused leads and make any meter safe?

Shark tank here I come

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

I was going to do this with my new box but ran out of drawers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Cakefool posted:

Counterpoint, I have 18v ryobi kit and for what I use the drill for I could use a 10.8/14.4v combi 80-90% of the time. If I could start over I'd get a 10.8v drill & impact first, then buy the 18v or corded kit later when I needed the extra muscle.

No, you do the reverse. You get the overkill and then down the line you get the weaker more compact tools to supplement. Better to have the power and not need it...