Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

Where you're going, there are no jokes.

Nitrox posted:

No idea, but I'm sure it's possible.

I did it because never in my right mind would I use anything between "go" and "stop". Plus I don't have to have my finger on the trigger when the saw is running. Makes overhead cutting much easier.
How have your batteries lasted?
A buddy of mine at the cabinet shop I work at has killed 3 Ryobi li-ion batteries in a few months, and I know he doesn't overcharge them.
I need to replace all of my Dewalt 18.8 stuff, and I'm debating between Makita and Hitachi. I love both Makita and Hitachi, but have never used any Hitachi cordless stuff. For how much cheaper it is, I'd definately give Ryobi stuff a try if it has really gotten better than some of their crappy old stuff.

I'm probably going to get a drill, impact driver, and circular saw, and 3 extra batteries since I go through between 2 and 3 a day on my main drill.
Anyone used the newer (white casing)Makita Li-ion stuff yet?
What about Dewalt's new batteries? http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/attachment_detail.asp?productID=17720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Why are you replacing all of your Dewalt tools all of a sudden?
I'd rather have one system with one battery type if possible, and all of my batteries save for one are weak.
Since it's still got a good battery, one of the newer guys at work who is an installer's helper was interested in buying it, so I figured I'd give him a hookup deal on it. It's the least i could do since my drill and right angle drill were basically given to me by the dude I started out under.
Also, I'm a tool whore and want new stuff.

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

I work in my family's commercial millwork and casework shop, so I do a little of everything involving woodworking, and I also do a lot of machine maintenance and random-rear end tasks.
It's a 37 employee shop, so there's a lot of poo poo to fix in addition to my normal job, which is mostly building huge reception desks and nurses stations for hospitals, but I also end up doing a lot of the nicer, more furniturelike stuff we get, like built-in hardwood bookcases for law offices, complicated veneerwork and the shitload of red oak podiums I just finished with a bunch of applied crown molding and stuff on them.
I also might be helping the guys we sub out installation to before too long, but I basically do everything from countertops to changing the head gasket in the forklift, and I work out of a rolling gangbox that I share, so my tools get beat to hell pretty quickly.

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

AcCeL posted:

I use those for work all the time, the only thing that bugs me is the pivoting head sometimes moves too much and I cant get as much torque on the bolts. I recently bought one with a fixed head and it's great. I have to swap between the two of them sometimes though because it's hard to get to some bolts without the swivel.
I think Kobalt makes a set now that have a little lever you have to flip before it will swivel. It can lock on the left side, straight, or the right, and you may be able to reverse the ratchet without flipping the wrench over.

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

Same here. You just learn after long enough, or maybe it's that you eventually realize that a bolted joint that is loaded in compression doesn't really want to come apart so you don't have to ape down on it with a cheater bar to keep an intake manifold from flying off.
You also get really good at removing broken bolts for the first year or so.