Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Curious, is the lead-filled bat to be used for self-defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh, like shovelglove, cool. That sounds like a better use of a lead bat than I was envisioning.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Frank Dillinger posted:

DO NOT LET WATER NEAR MELTED LEAD EVER. (Unless you want molten metal all over yourself)

Yeah it is not cool at all, wear eye/face protection. I got a lead splatter directly in my eye (except thankfully it was actually on the safety glasses in front of my eye) and I will never ever forget that poo poo!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I doubt you'll hit any thermal limit. I use something similar (fini airboss pancake style, 1.5 HP, 1 gal tank, less flow than the one posted) and it does fine. It might run 90% of the time you are filling the tires, but it gets the job done without too much waiting. I add a 5 gallon tank and its not too bad for general purpose stuff, I can run a pneumatic stapler or airgun and not feel like I'm waiting for the compressor to catch up all the time.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 17, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Please no one hurt me but I did get rid of my electric corded chainsaw right before we moved because the trees here are like 2-3" in diameter so my bowsaw would be sufficient.

You'll be singing a different tune in 10 to 20 years

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

The yellow daytona is really nice, my dad was a bit jealous of mine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bluetooth was/is available as a single-chip solution, but wifi required a separate module that was fairly expensive (like 5x the single chip bluetooth microcontroller). I believe you can get wifi on-chip now like bluetooth.

e: https://www.digikey.com/product-det...2850-ND/9919537 is from adafruit (so not big business) and it's still <$6 for everything you need except the canbus interface (like $2, $6 for a really nice one). The chip they are using is about a dollar if you are going to make your own pcb and antenna.

10 years ago it would have been like $20 for just the wifi module

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 2, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you are tightening something and it feels like it is taking 10x the force it should, stop and rethink. Took me a few years to figure that one out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

um excuse me posted:

I paid a guy with 40 years of experience to teach me. By hour 5 I was welding stainless TIG. Like 80% of welding is setting up the welder correctly.

Care to share any tips on welder setup?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

warning, I've only read a little wikipedia. Is SMAW welding just a huge DC power supply and consumable sticks? Seems pretty easy to DIY. Are there desirable features that go beyond CC and CV?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

If you need some inspiration:

That is exactly the thing you want to do inside!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

you might want to add a little bit of resistance so you have some current limiting

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'd like to find out as well, I hate the $15 calipers I got from amazon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I got a Yost 5.5" vise on amazon when they were on sale and I've been really happy with it. It's beefy as hell, IMO. I paid a fair amount less than the current price though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's not the battery type, it's how much power the device consumes when it is off. But it isn't actually off, it's sleeping and waiting for an interrupt signalling the power button was pressed or that the jaws moved. A modern microcontroller makes it almost trivial to sleep at low microamp levels, but go back 10 years and you'd have to pay close attention and choose the right parts to do that well (ie expensive models). Maybe LR44 is out of fashion making it a minor indicator of a newer design?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not sure about the price differences or quality differences but HF has a 20% off icon coupon right now, which is normally not eligible for the percent off. Those are their higher end toolboxes

Hfqpdb.com had the coupon on the front page

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Holy crap, nevermind. There's no way any toolbox from HF could be 10x better.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crosspost from the other tools thread

taqueso posted:

So about the compressor I bought: https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ga...ssor-64857.html

I used it for an hour or so and the oil is cloudy and darker, I assume I should flush that. But, should I do more? For example, will the tank come with a coating on the inside? It has 'drain the tank or face the rust monster' warning stickers on it. I have all the stuff to coat the inside with rust treatments and epoxy or epoxy primer. Maybe I should rebuild it right away?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Copied a good idea and made a compressor combiner with a couple check valves

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I just found this out a couple weeks ago, but even the real CE mark is entirely self-monitored. There isn't a central agency/testing facilities like UL that you pay for testing. ( the other direction) You might get hosed in a lawsuit if you are wrong or lie, but you can put the mark on legally by only deciding your stuff is fine with no testing and documenting that you did so.

e:

kastein posted:

Intertek is a real NRTL and CE is self certifying (normally with reports from an NRTL to back up the claims made in your DoC and technical construction file) but yeah, it's always nice to be surprised by the quality on something.

yeah this

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I flushed the oil in my HF compressor with some Sanborn 30wt compressor oil and it runs noticeably cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Makes sense though. My local store is pretty cleaned out. Lots of empty shelf space.

I work with someone that has a 2nd job at HF, she says they are OOS/low on all kinds of stuff right now. They don't even have the free flashlights available so it doesn't matter if they are free