Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I bought a house with a nice 2 car garage about a month ago, and I've been going nuts over tools ever since.

I just picked up this from amazon for 88$.

It's going to be my first air ratchet, it has 90lbs of torque! Needless to say I'm excited. I've used impact wrenches since I was 15, but I never had a ratchet.

For those of you who have air ratchets, how awesome are they, and how much would you hate not having one now that you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I just used my new air ratchet I was all excited about to change two axles on a 2002 passat. The axles attach to the transmission by 6 torx like bolts. I wore leather gloves and let the 90lbs of torque loosen them, making sure my hands were free from any pinch areas. It would have been a big pain with a regular ratchet.

I love it.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Rhyno posted:

After my adventure in wheel bearings today I'm saving up for a compressor.

After just buying a 26 gallon oil-less compressor... unless you like the noise or are putting it in a soundproof closet, hold out get a 60 gallon oil type. My impact wrench drains it pretty quickly. I think I might take it back.

e: on the other hand, it's not bad if you have a tight workspace and don't want to have a permanent fixture hogging some of it.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Dremel tools are good for taking down toe nails.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

You can try one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-542D-C...g/dp/B0000302ZZ

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Disciple of Pain posted:

tool set
I got this set from sears onsale for 200$ a few months ago :
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...33260000P?mv=rr

I love it because it helps me keep everything organized. The drivers aren't as nice as some other ones I've had, but perfectly fine none the less.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I had a few slow drains, one in the sink, and a new one popped up in the shower. I took a 4" pvc pipe cap, and drilled a reducing hole in it with a uni bit. My air gun's tip fit snug into the hole, and I filled the sink and shower both up with a bit of water and then blasted some air down there. Way easier than snaking.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Looks like you could paint with it, and use it to inflate an air mattress too.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I have a husky 26 gallon oiless compressor, 1.5hp. Someone is offering to trade me a 240v 6hp craftsman 33 gallon that is just a little older. Think I should go for it?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Have you ever done rear disc brakes? On most foreign cars (not sure about US) you need to push in and rotate at the same time because of the screw type e-brake mechanism.

On the compressor thing, yeah I'm going to do it. Mine only gets 6 and 9 SCFM. I have 240 outlet in my garage I wired up for testing a hot tub that I no longer use

ease fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 26, 2008

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

grover posted:

air-blown fiber optic cabling

Not to derail, but airblown FO ?? Is that kinda like how a electrician will suck his pull line through conduit with a vacuum?

Whats the point, so you can just blow another cable through if you ever need to add another?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

^^ - Ah, thats pretty cool.

I heard on stern, and from an old timer, about people working in buildings who'd take a piss in the unwired conduits on new construction sites, rather than go use a portapotty a few floors down. Sometimes poor unsuspecting electricians get a face full of fermented piss when they'd go to put the vacuum on.

ease fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 28, 2008

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I was thinking about those air line kits... and then looking at my extra 50' hose that I rarely use, and then I looked over at my jar of big wire staples with plastic guards... so why not just do this on the cheap with T's and a quick connect wherever you want access to it.

You can get 50' coils of airhose for like 20$

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Sterndotstern posted:

Staplers and nail guns for sure. Will drive an impact gun as long as you don't mind letting it catch back up with you every so often. Air hammer and air ratchet for sure, handy when working on cars. Blow guns, I have no idea how I ever washed my car at home without one.

I'm thinking the same thing -- I just enclosed my carport and will be adding a retractable ceiling-mounted air hose. I plan to just run a hose from the compressor, up through my attic, to the ceiling-mounted hose. I'll let you know how that works out.

I did that right after I posted it actually. It's only going from one side of my garage to the other but works great. Instead of putting the hose inside the wire thingys, I nailed them in, and used zip ties to secure the house to them.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I've considered building a sound dampening box around mine.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Do electric impact wrenches still user the hammer type mechanism that an air one uses? Does it still make that machine gun like sound?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Should just put the thing in a giant refrigerator. Made out of lead.

ease fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 10, 2008

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

two_beer_bishes posted:

I ended up with a 650ft/lb Husky Composite for $130. I'm happy with that!

I think I have the same one. It's awesome.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Someone told me you shouldn't use a multimeter that has an ac/dc button on AC. Is there any truth to this? I used it to test my 240v 40a hot tub and it worked fine. He said his professor said its a bad idea?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I think one of the best additions I made to my garage was a 2x3' adjustable rolling tray.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I'm thinking of buying this arc welder :

Guy wants 100$ for it, and I have a 220 line already hooked up in my garage so I'm good to go.

I've only welded with a mig before, and created some pretty lovely welds at that. I figure I can get this and practice welding with it. One thing I'm concerned with is blowing holes threw thin metal which I hear is a concern with an arc welder. I know I'm going to have to learn with experience on this specific machine when it comes to that.

So obviously, I shouldn't be able to weld things like exhausts? How about things like a 4 wheeler frame? Still too thin of steel? If I gently caress something up, is it pretty easy for a good welder with a mig to fix? I have access to that.

ease fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 3, 2009

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Well I bought it. It actually worked great for what I needed (fixing a plow for my quad).

But here's the lovely part. I didn't know there was a difference between brazing goggles and arc welding goggles.

e: It was a #5 lens, and I guess it did offer a good amount of protection, but not adequate for arc. And holy poo poo, sunburned nose.

ease fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 4, 2009

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I just bought a 10 shade with a flip up lens. It has a clear lens under the flip up. I much prefer this style because you don't have to flip the whole helmet, but you can if you want to. I picked up some cheap Lincoln leather welding gloves for 10$, combined with my carhartt I should be pretty well covered up.

I'm glad I welded outside last night. I can't believe anyone would ever weld indoors in their garage or something.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Thanks for reminding me about Tillman gloves. I had a pair of those that lasted me for a year in the field at work, which is a really long time for light gloves.

Best glove company ever. Hard to find around here.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I'm pretty sure IR and CH make the majority of store branded air compressors out there.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

ModernDayDiogenes posted:

I've been reading this thread sporadically since it started, but I don't think anybody's mentioned one of the most simple and necessary tools that I always keep in my car - a pipe.

Think about how many people out there who got a flat couldn't get their lug nuts off because the tire shop put them on with an 800lb impact, and had to call a tow truck.

My boss had to call us to help come change the tire on his volvo. The lugs were impossible to remove, and my coworker who can bench like 5 tons couldn't get them to budge. Luckily I had a 5' section of pipe in the van, and hammered it a little oblong to fit over the wrench. That made it easy, but god drat it, tire shops .

If you have your tires put on by a shop, you should probably have a pipe in your car that fits over your lug wrench.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I just traded my alright 33 gallon craftsman compressor like this:

for this:

Straight trade, it's just missing a regulator. I love craigslist. What sucks is that when we picked it up out of the truck, my buddy didn't have a good grip and requested we lower it right to the ground. I lowered slowly and he lowered quick and it tipped towards him and fell right over onto my garbage can which let it absorb some shock into the fill tube and then it went to the ground where it bent the cage a tiny bit.

I took the tube off and was able to put a screwdriver in there and bend the kink out. It's not perfect, but I'm guessing it'll be alright.

Click here for the full 640x427 image.

You can see the repaired dent a little in this picture.
This is the outlet hole on the side of the tank :

I'm guessing thats 3/4" NPT? Do they make any regulators that will go right onto this or do I need to buy a reducer to step it down? The biggest regulator I found online was a nice Bosch that had 1/2".

ease fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 6, 2009

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Landshark posted:

How heavy are those things? i have often wondered how people get them in their garage and home from wherever they bought it.

not as heavy as you'd think. probably somewhere around 175lbs maybe a bit more. just awkward to lift

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Haha where is the regulator on that pic? What the gently caress.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

grover posted:

we were unable to loosen the bolts, even after lowering the jack and dropping the weight of the truck on the ratchet handle.

A 4' pipe on the end of the ratchet or breaker bar should do the trick if your impact cant get it done. Never thought of lowering the car onto the ratchet tho, thats funny. God drat tire shops putting wheels on with impact guns at 950lbs.

ease fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 7, 2009

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Wanderer89 posted:

How about a standard drill?
I like all my tools to match, so I've only been buying mostly Dewalt power tools for years now. I have one dewalt cordless drill that I've had for 5 years, and I abused the poo poo out of it, and it's still going strong on one of the original batteries. I recently bought a corded Dewalt drill as soon as I started having a need to drill alot of metal and I've been pretty happy with that too, I imagine it will last a good long time.

The Ridgid tools I've used have all been pretty nice.

Simply avoid black and decker, ryobi, and anything really cheap. It's really cheap for a reason.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I got a torin black jack at wal-mart years ago, I swear it was only 70$.

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-Profile...60397761&sr=1-9

It looks just like this, just silver instead of red. I love this jack.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

This is my temporary setup until I can figure out exactly how I want to mount a regulator with trap on the wall and then hardline everything in. I needed to get something done just to maintain tires in the mean time.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Small PVC is so cheap, I'm thinking of running all plastic lines. It's cheap enough that I could run two lines, one with lubrication and one without for tires and blow guns.

1/2 has a burst rating of like 1900psi, and a working psi of 350. I think my tank would explode before a line would burst.

My question is... how hard is it to get a good seal between plastic and metal fittings? Do all the fittings share the same NPT sizes? I'm not sure I've ever seen a shop have pvc installed, usually I think everything I've seen is copper, but I can't afford to fork out all that to hard line my garage. I guess worst case, I could use all black pipe, but i'm not even sure they make that in 1/2".

Also holy poo poo does this compressor put a ton of water in my air. Maybe it's just the weather here, but I was getting wet just finding and fixing leaks.

ease fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 10, 2009

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Holy poo poo you are right. Googling this is turning up a bunch of pages on how much of a bad idea that was. It's a bad idea because pvc is so hard it makes good shrapnel, correct?

Maybe flexible tubing is the way I will go.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Just curious what kind of fill times I should expect for a 80gal tank.

Specs say I get:
* 14.6 CFM's @ 40 PSI
* 14.1 CFM's @ 90 PSI

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

RealKyleH posted:

80 gal = 10.7 cubic feet

(10.7/14.6) * (60 seconds) = ~45 seconds

I'm guessing that means 45 seconds to 40 psi so shouldn't the rate grow as the PSI grows?

I'm guessing right now it takes about 10 minutes to get to 100psi.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Suniikaa posted:

I have a Shop-Vac that the motor comes off of and you can use as a leaf blower, seems to work ok.

This one http://www.epinions.com/pr-Shop_Too..._Wet_Dry_Blower

I have a ridgid version of this. It's a bad rear end vacuum, but the blowing power is nothing compared to backpack gas blowers. It does move leaves, but not as easily as a dedicated gas machine.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/16-Gall...lower/index.htm

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I don't know where he lives, but around here in southern new england, the only soil sampling you ever need to do for residential is for septic systems and wetland delineation. Simply remove the topsoil, dig the footing, compact the dirt, compact sand/gravel fill, pour footing, repeat for the slab.

You might want to contact a surveyor if you don't know exactly where your property lines are so you don't build it within a setback.

ease fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 17, 2009

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Channel Lock sounds too french for tools. I like Klein.
http://www.service.kleintools.com/C...8F3D045+PRD+ENG

PUMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

I got socks :/