Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've heard pretty good things about DeWalt 18v impact wrenches (Like this)

Has anyone used one? I want to be able to slam in normal stuff like control arm bolts, shocks, etc. Would it be safest to go with at least 1/2" or would 3/8" be sufficient? I already have a ton of 3/8" sockets, though they're not specifically made for impact wrenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

ajcz posted:

I have the bigass half inch gun and use it all the time at the junkyard,The 3/8 struggles sometimes. If you want suspension and lugs go with the 1/2. the 3/8 i use for nothing really but quickly tearing down lawnmower engines for scrap.

Thank you - I don't want to buy one and then not be able to use it on everything.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Back to talking about impact wrenches - specifically this one:
DEWALT DC820KA 1/2" (13mm) 18V Cordless XRP Impact Wrench Kit

I've always used hand tools on my jeep, and I'm thinking of getting this one to take with me off roading. Is an impact wrench appropriate for most any fastener? Will I break bolts left and right if I try using this thing on shocks, control arms, skid plate bolts, etc.? Can I use it on everything or would I need to stay away from smaller bolts? I don't see this saying anything about setting torque values, are these usually adjustable or do they always slam away with the full torque?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Cakefool posted:

E: also any suggestions on how to organise 1 billion assorted driver bits?

What about using some of the plastic bullet holders that come in a box of handgun bullets? I'm not sure how the sizing would work but there might be a casing that is similar to a screwdriver bit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Can anyone recommend a tool box that is basically a small bench-top tool chest? I want a metal tool box with drawers for wrenches and sockets. Everything I carry with me fits pretty neatly into a 19" box so I'd like something similar in size to that.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Goo Gone has always worked well for me at getting stickers off of things. Usually I use a razor blade in addition to get a good scrape but it's easy to gently caress up your paint.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

If you're obsessive, you can buy a plastic razor blade shaped insert for about $1.

I never care too much about the paint :smug:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I was using a 1/2" torque wrench on the Jeep's head bolts. I only had a 13mm 12 point socket in 3/8" so I used an adapter from harbor freight. I went through 4 of them on (I think) 12 head bolts. They didn't like going to 110lbs, but I don't think they were impact adapters either, so maybe they weren't built for that.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Anyone have the link to that imgur miniature tools album? My mom makes Mid-century Modern miniature furniture and would love to see that stuff.

I'll bet that tiny furniture isn't a whole lot cheaper to make than regular furniture.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I just need to air-up the Civic tires once to get it back to my apartment. I figure use it once and return it.

Bike pump?

It'll take you a while.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My girlfriend got me a creeper for working under my Jeep. I've used it once so far and I hit my head on pretty much everything I could find. Control arm mounts, axle tubes, etc.

I guess there's a learning curve. Using the creeper makes it easier to get to the tools that I always leave on the wrong side of the vehicle at least.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I really just need to add a kastein to my tool box. Seems to fix every thing. :v:

Just throw in some sandwiches every now and then

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

I break more poo poo than I fix.

Not if you're inside the tool box you don't.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My mom got me some coveralls for Christmas and they're great. I don't always put them on but if the project is gonna take more than a few minutes I will. Its saving me money on clothes already :-D

I'm good at staying out of puddles of oil, but I get everything else all over me. I'm always impressed by how much grime ends up on my face somewhere. Its great for skin...

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

I paid a whopping $100 for my washing machine on craigslist, so I spray my wrenching clothes with brakleen and toss em in the wash.

Yes, I know, it's flammable. I've always wanted to see a washing machine explode.

If you ever want to see a dryer explode just open up the back and spray some WD-40 on the squeaky motor. It'll singe off your armhair and you may piss yourself though.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I cleaned my mom's garage this weekend. This garage has been a mess since I was a kid, and after my dad passed away a couple years ago I've been making it worse by leaving Jeep parts and tools everywhere. I feel like he would be super stoked to see it now.

It's still pretty cluttered, and I need to organize a TON of little bins and tool chests. I boxed up at LEAST 60 duplicate screwdrivers and at least as many box wrenches. There were some pretty neat old torque wrenches, gear pullers and various other tools as well.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

revmoo posted:

Anyone know where I can find a good USB direct wire kit? I want two regular USB ports on a plate I can mount somewhere and tap directly into the vehicle 12v system.

Check this out - I have a regular 12v adapter from this company and it's pretty good quality and an easy install.
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...sb+port+bluesea

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I bought the cheapest oil catch pan that sealed up and I hate it. It's too much extra work just to catch it and the lid broke and leaks always. http://smile.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-11838-Oil-Drain/dp/B000AMGYNA/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1411405266&sr=8-17&keywords=oil+drain+pan

I'd like to switch to just an open pan and get a jug or something to fill, but I'm striking out there. I'm too nervous about ones like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-16...=oil+drain+pan, since there's a large area to leak from on the side.

Are there any better options? All I want is a giant jug like my cat litter comes in from Costco, but I don't trust a used cat litter jug from Costco to last very long.

We've used the same 5 gallon water jug since I was a kid, it's been in service for at least 20 years. Just the big clear plastic ones that you buy for a water dispenser/cooler. Get a wide funnel for it and it works great. It takes quite a while to get full, and when it does you just take it in to the parts store and dump it into their recycling tank.

e: This is just for collection, I drain the motor oil into a plain old catch pan and pour it into the jug when done.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 22, 2014

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's awesome to buy a tool and realize how much better it is than what you were using before. I bought these 8" crimping pliers to replace my stamped steel 'do it all' tool. It makes WAAAAAAY better crimps and I don't have to hold the two halves together to make it crimp straight. Now instead of the one tool I'm using two, but each is at least 100% better at the job it's designed for than the tool that's supposed to strip and crimp.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I usually end up hitting the wrench with a hammer when it gets stuck, I'm sure that's good for it and the bolt.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Would those 3d printers be able to create custom bushings or is the medium not right for it?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I don't use an extension on the ratchet, I just get it loose and then take it off by hand. I kind of like to get a little bit of warm oil on my hands every now and then. It makes me feel like a man.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
A review of that kit says that you get two sets of allen wrenches in SAE and two sets in metric. That's a lot of allens. You probably also get a buttload of shallow sockets :mad:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Has anyone found a transfer pump that works for more that a use or two? I'm talking about the kind that screws onto the bottle of oil. I've bought a couple of different ones at the parts stores, and they all brake in various stupid ways. Usually I get about a liter into the differential and then the pump smashes through the plastic cap and sends a spring into the bottle, leaving me a couple liters short. Usually this happens at around 9:01pm when there's no chance of getting another one. Luckily my 8.8 axle has the fill plug on the opposite side from the cover, and it's at an angle so I was able to make a funnel work.

I usually pay about $10 for the white plastic pump that's available at the stores. Has anyone found one that is reliable? I don't mind a little leaking here and there, I just want to be able to fill stuff without breaking pumps.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Cool, I'll put it in the microwave for a few minutes. Thanks!

:shobon:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've been looking into working with nylon webbing - it would come in handy for fixing straps on my jeep top, sleeping bag straps, just dumb stuff like that. I'm going to get some webbing, waxed nylon thread, a few sets of plastic buckles and triglides*, some velcro, just stuff like that. I'm also looking at the Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl. It's supposed to be pretty good for heavier materials. Has anyone used one of these things? I'll mostly be doing pretty small projects, so I don't mind the manual work.

*a plastic thingy that you slide webbing through. A triglide.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

dyne posted:

You could also probably debulk with a pair of tin snips and clean it up with a dremel and sanding drum. Tin snips would probably be a lot easier than a hacksaw blade

An xacto knife or razor blade usually makes pretty quick work of plastic too. You just have to score the surface quite a few times and then bend it til it snaps. Might be easier to get a clean cut this way, just slice, slice, slice, slice, bend and done.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I haven't really figured out how to use my creeper efficiently. It always seems like I have to get off the thing right after I get on it. Or I need to torque something but now I'm on wheels so I have to brace myself funny and jam a leg against the frame to keep from moving. I always end up equally dirty because I just roll along on the ground once I decide that the creeper isn't worth my time. Mine also folds into a stool, and it's great for that :)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
e: I guess it's cheaper at Lowes...

Woot.com has a deal today on some power tools - seems like a good deal to me for some 20v stuff.

PORTER-CABLE PCCK618L6 20V MAX 6-Tool Combo Kit - $299

I wish I had $300 and no power tools :(

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 29, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I thought that he 3/8" extending ratchet that I got from HF was awesome until a week ago when the stud that the sockets lock onto broke off completely :( I'll take it back and swap it for another one, but it's not going to be my primary any more. Hopefully the Kobalt I found in my dad's garage will hold up better.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I have an air impact and an older Snap On cordless electric. The Snap On is great for most things, but it doesn't have the 'speed' of an air impact. In particular the electric gun doesn't work well to tighten or remove the nuts that go on the end of a shock/strut. The Snap On just spins the whole shaft while the air gun tightens the nut without spinning the strut shaft. Newer guns may not have this problem (mine was made 2011 IIRC).

Are you saying there's a time in which you don't have to hold the shaft while threading on the nut? I've only messed with 6 or 8 shocks but they all required holding the shaft with something else after the first few spins.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
With two people recommending the HF extending ratchet I'll go ahead and put in my opposite opinion. I bought the 3/8" extending ratchet and the stud that the socket locks onto snapped clean off. This was on the oil drain plug on my motorcycle. I'm going to take it back for the free exchange but I won't count on it ever again after failing like that. I'll recommend it as a backup in case your good one breaks or you don't want to get it dirty.

It's really pretty petty of me to talk huge poo poo on a $15 ratchet, but I should not be able to break something like this with my pasty wimpy arms.

I have been scorned.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

The first use of my 20 ton was a friend pushing bearings out of a bike case. He forgot to remove some retainers, and it was powerful enough that you just can't tell you're breaking things.

That's good and bad.

It's really easy to explode a u-joint cap in these things too. Try it sometime!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Marauder Stig posted:

What are good drill bits for drilling through steel? I Stripped a driveshaft bolt in my car :smith:

Would really help if these were readily available at Home Depot or other brick and mortar type store. Also, what would be a good lubricant to use on the drill bits?

Any advice helps...never had to drill through steel before.

What kind of driveshaft are you dealing with? If it's held on with a few bolts and you can break loose all but one you can try grinding off the head of the bolt. Really depends on the setup though.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have the leatherman rebar and I like it a lot.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Cornflake posted:

Picked up one of these after my friend managed to lose a straw off a parts cleaning can into the engine. Made finding it a hell of a lot easier without having to go through the nonsense of lifting the engine and pulling the oil pan off. Imagine it's going to find other uses in the future, but holy poo poo, I had no idea these things even existed.

Best part: the 12v battery shares the same chargers as all my 20v Dewalt poo poo. That and being able to pop the little screen off for showing people poo poo and leaving the rest of the tool in the engine or behind a wall or something.

That looks like the thing the doctor jammed up my nose to look at my throat! Myriad uses, really.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What would be the best way to lengthen a hole? I'm drilling a winch plate for my jeep - Say I drill a hole to 3/8" and it turns out I needed the hole about an 1/8" to the left. Is a rasp what I'm looking for to make a 'slotted' hole?

e: Maybe my dremel tool...

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 11, 2016

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Deeters posted:

I don't need a huge jug since I'm in an apartment and I'm not supposed to be doing oil changes in the driveway. I dump it every time to hide the evidence :tinfoil:

It's similar where I live - I can't do anything car related in my parking spot, so I put it on the street out front and get to work. So far I've replaced a radiator and rebuilt a couple of drive shafts. Before they installed the cameras I just did my oil changes in the garage since it takes all of 10 minutes, but I felt funny as an adult trying to hide when the security guard Property Attendant came by doing his rounds.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
IMO the rolls are the way to go. It's quiet, and It's faster to find the right wrench as long as you organize them in the roll, rather than having to sort through the pile of wrenches at the bottom of a tool box. I took the tray out of my 19" tool box so that the roll can sit inside on top of everything else. Wrenches and sockets are the main things I use, so losing the tray wasn't a big deal. I can still find my screwdriver fast enough at the bottom of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I tried to quiet down my squeaky clothes dryer by spraying some WD-40 towards the running motor. Turns out it's flammable, just like arm hair! My dryer went "FWOOMP" and then it never squeaked again.