Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I bought the $85 HF jack a month or so ago, only used it a few times but it's been great. In my experience the Craftsman ones always end up leaking hydraulic fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Kynetx posted:

For cheap hand tools, you can hardly miss with Harbor Freight. Their wrenches and socket sets are nearly as good as Craftsman or Cobalt and they have the same warranty.

I've bought a cheap socket set from there just to keep in my car. The socket wall was so thin I actually broke it when trying to loosen a really tight bolt.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I know it's probably been discussed, but I don't have search nor the time to search 19 pages. What is a good, cheap impact wrench? Looking to spend under $100, if not significantly less.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

You can't make bullets out of a plastic hammer in a war torn post-apocalyptic America :colbert:

I've been trying to convince myself I need a lead hammer for a while now, but still haven't found a need for one. Maybe I should convince myself I need a car with knock-off wheels first.

For content, does anyone have a suggestion for a decent semi-hard tool bag? My mobile tool collection is growing entirely too rapidly and I need a good way to carry them around. I probably need a bag about 20"x12". It's mostly for electronics and small stuff. Lots of allen keys, screwdrivers, small pliers and electronics stuff.

Also, if you haven't watched this video, you should. It's a shining example of a man who adores his tools, plus, mythbusters rocks.
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-raw-jamies-toolkit.html (5 parts)

It's painful listening to him explain the fraction to decimal chart. It seems like he's not so great with finding the right words. I also would have thought he'd have nicer tools but I must say the "widow maker" is pretty cool.

I should have mentioned I'm looking for an air impact wrench. Searched through all the pages, didn't find any recommendations for any particular models.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 2, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Anyone experienced with air pressure regulators for air compressors? I bought my shop's Ingersoll Rand air compressor (it says T10 on the side and it's a 2.5 HP 20 gallon) and it was missing the knob for the regulator so I bought a new regulator at Sears. My only gripe is that the regulator that was originally there had two gauges, one that rear tank (inlet I assume) PSI and another that read the outlet PSI and the new one does not seem to. If I had the outlet pressure turned off all the way, the tank one would read 100 or so while the other would read 0. The new regulator reads 0 on both when off and pretty much the same PSI when I turn the pressure on. Any suggestions for a new regulator? I used the same two gauges even though this Craftsman one came with a new gauge. I tried to find a replacement for the same model but it only says model AC-0076 and searching for that on Google, ebay, etc doesn't turn up much.

EDIT: I found a Sears part (on SearsPartsDirect and on ebay) that has the same model number but it does not look the same.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=AC-0076&productGroupId=0009&supplierId=919&pathTaken=partSearch&pop=flush

EDIT2: Found a PDF with a diagram of some Sears air compressor that looks very similar to mine despite mine being an IR model. Just gonna order the part and hope it works the way I want it to, I figure it can't be any worse and at the very least it's a few bucks cheaper.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 10, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Maxwedge posted:

Garage Journal and others say the Ingersoll Rand 231c is good ($110). Thinking about picking one up myself.

The C denotes that it was made in China. The 231 non-C should be a little better but for weekend wrenchers I'm sure the C is fine.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

trouser chili posted:

What do you guys think about this guy? I'm pretty hot on it to replace my HF 8 gallon that randomly stops working until I hit it with a hammer.

What's it run for? Ideally I think I'd want something with more HP as I think those SCFM readings are a bit optimistic for the motor.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

RealKyleH posted:

with this:

Makes for a pretty sweet looking knife.

What's so special about those blades?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Lando posted:

Can I get a little help/some recommendations? :)

I've only heard good things about MAC tools. As far as the warranty goes, they're probably like everyone else. Lifetime on hand tools, a year or two on power tools.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I got a Harbor Freight flyer with a coupon for $160 off 499.99 for this roller chest. If I can find a 20% off coupon to use along with it this weekend, I think I'll pick it up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90320

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I picked up a motorcycle stand today and the front fork lift adapters from Harborfreight. The stand was $37 and the adapters were $10 and they are made by Haulmaster. I'll let you know how I like it once I mess with it some more.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Kotaru posted:

Are the Harbor Freight timing lights any good? I really don't feel like dropping 150+ for something I would not use very often.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3343

My friend has gotten away with using the $20 Autozone special so I don't see why this would be any worse.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Error 404 NpH posted:

Just wanted to mention that this HF 3 piece plastic socket rail set for $3 is awesome

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96343

I picked up a huge craftsman loose socket set and put everything on these rails. Lowes wants $6.18 for a single rail of similar quality http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=29952-1074-22970&lpage=none

I think I paid $10 for a set of 3 Craftsman ones. This is a great deal, I had my brother pick these up a few weeks ago.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic for $22. There's a $10 rebate you can get from this slickdeals thread which brings it down to $12 for 5 quarts. Insane deal, I was able to find one jug locally.

Time to see if I can find my receipt from a month or so ago.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

You don't want a butane iron for doing anything small.

Pick up this;
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-Soldering-Hobbyist-Yourselfer/dp/B000AS28UC

Or, if that'll break the bank, just go to a Frys/Radio Shack/etc and pick up a 25-40 watt iron, which will probably be just fine.

Weller soldering irons are awesome but they can be a bit pricey, although $40 some dollars for that unit probably isn't bad. We used to use the Weller WTCPT at Circuit City for car audio installs and those things are rock solid albeit lacking on features. Then again, what features would you need? I liked em so much I picked up two of them from the store when we shut down. I also have a Blue Point butane soldering iron and a Matco one. The Matco is garbage and was a waste of over $100 :( The Blue Point was like $50-60 and is amazing. No butane soldering iron is good for small delicate stuff as they all have an exhaust vent that can melt things.

http://www.amazon.com/WTCPT-Temperature-Controlled-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28VQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1243075157&sr=1-6

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Sears has a Craftsman 2-1/4 ton Floor Jack with Jack Stands set on sale for $40. Not the most high-end equipment, but it's Craftsman and it's $40, and that's a good deal.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950140000P?keyword=jack+stand

Get the $80 US General blue and silver jack and some jackstands from HF while you're at it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Goddamn I hate my loving piece of poo poo Matco butane iron, I need to pick up a better butane/cordless one, where did you get the Blue Point? I've been looking at the Weller PortaSols too.

Snapon.com has it. Shipping is pretty cheap like $4 or something. Want to buy one of those Weller Soldering stations? I got an extra.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I'm not a pro, well not any more. I did do professional car audio installs but that is a little different. I feel that the tools you should have as air tools are impact gun and cut off wheel. Other than that, definitely go cordless. Drills I used 90% of the time just to make things quicker, but the main one I used was a tiny Li-Ion "screw-driver" from Snap-On. If it needed more torque than that I broke out the Dewalt 12V. As you work more, you'll learn what works better/faster for you.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Has anyone used the HF knock-off of the MityVac vacuum bleeder? I want to change the clutch fluid and I figure this will be a lot cleaner and easier for me to do alone.

That's a knock off of Mityvac despite being Mityvac branded? I own the thing, it should work fine. I bled my brother's brakes but didn't put the one way valve in, oops. Ended up bleeding them the old fashioned way then read the instructions about the valve.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's not a Mityvac ripoff, that pressurizes from the MC side instead of creating vacuum on the bleeder side.

Also, HF sells the actual Mityvac for less than that.

So the VACUUM pump creates pressure?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

What you're looking for is a 20% off coupon.

Hey look!

They took three from me today in one session. Trim off the extra white page edge. If they give you poo poo tell them "I'm not cutting up my collection." and give them the retard eye.

Just gonna chime in to say that that jack is awesome, especially at that price. I think I paid $80 for it, $60 is a steal. Also the TRIM AND MOLDING TOOL SET is amazing for car audio installation work so you might as well grab that if you ever plan to replace a radio. I think we used to pay $20 or $25 for a set from the MATCO guy, when I found out HF had them I bought like 5 sets.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

scapulataf posted:

Channel lock pliers.
http://www.channellock.com/

Slip joint pliers.
http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/category.cfm?SID=1&Category_ID=10

Check mate.

Now lets hear about this blood.

So according to their site those are called Tongue and Groove pliers.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Just wanted to let you motorcycle guys know that I saw a heavy duty chain breaker tool in the latest Harbor Freight ad. Had a coupon to get it for $10, normal price is $15. I'm gonna grab one so I have a separate tool for breaking and thus don't have to risk breaking a piece off of my $100 riveter/breaker combo.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

Post a review once you use it please.

Seconding this. I already have a wheel balancer, might as well go for the whole set up.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

PitViper posted:

[*]The stopper on the hose is attached by 2 screws, so it's easy to set to a different length, and holds tightly to the hose. My 2 electrical reels have a non-removeable stopper ball, and neither of them holds the cord tightly enough to work very well.
[/list]

All in all, it's worth the $36 I paid for it, and I'd say even worth the $59 or whatever it normally costs. I'll probably pick up one of the 50' air/water reels closer to spring to use as my car-washing hose, so I can just reel it up when I'm not using it or in the winter.

Use a zip-tie around your electrical cords as a stopper for the balls. Works wonders.

I'm tempted to get that air reel but am a little nervous about mounting it to the textured drywall in my garage. Maybe if I make a base board like your set up. Also really wish I had more electrical outlets in my garage. It shouldn't be hard to add some more as the breaker box is in the garage and there's an attic right above it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Uthor posted:

What do you use to strip very small wires? My cheapo wire strippers go down to 22, but I've come across wires smaller than that before. A couple tiny wires on some aux lights I put on my bike for one. Telephone wire, for another. I haven't been able to find something that goes lower than 22 at the big box stores.

I got a pair of Craftsman wire strippers (yellow handle, the red ones are bigger) that go down to 26 gauge. I can't imagine working with wire smaller than that.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

revmoo posted:

Not a terrible idea but aren't those allen keys made out of hardened steel or something? Also where the hell can you even find a large allen key (17+mm)?

Harbor Freight has a set of allen sockets that goes up to 17mm. Should be like $15-20.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

ASSTASTIC posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Its a website that doesn't look horrible!

http://www.harborfreight.com/new-items/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

New crimper on there. Good thing I don't do car audio installs for a living anymore, otherwise I'd be $70 poorer.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Pittsburgh 1/2" Drive Click Stop Torque Wrench $10 at HF!

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

SideShift posted:

I finally got a Power Probe 3 after using a Fluke DVM and test light for years. It makes it so easy to troubleshoot electric problems, it feels like cheating.

I have the Power Probe 2 and was a professional car audio installer and it was definitely one of my best purchases. The only thing I bought that was more useful was my Snap-On screw gun. The LCD voltage display seems pretty useful on the PP3 but with the PP2 I could tell when voltage was under 12 volts because the buzzer sounded a little different.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

porkfriedrice posted:

Can anyone recommend a good entry-level air compressor? I don't need anything huge, just something some possible air tools, filling tires, and also to use with this: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

I need to do some A/C work on my truck, and didn't see the point of spending one hundred dollars on a single-use tool. Fourteen ninety-nine is pretty good and it got decent reviews. I realize I have to get the gauges, too. I have read mixed reviews on the Craftsman compressor models. What size do you think I should get? Are the Lowe's/Home Depot models any good? Thanks.

Maybe I'll have a go at fixing the AC in my Grand National. What are the steps you would generally take? Do you vacuum the H high pressure port and fill the low pressure port with refrigerant? Also what is recommended for refrigerant? I remember someone talking about R12 Freeze or something? Whatever it was it's supposed to be better than R134a and not a pollutant like R12.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I picked up a reader at Costco for $20 or so and it has worked great despite being pretty basic (2 buttons on it). Even works on my bike!

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Duke Thompson posted:

Can someone make a recommendation on a good impact socket set? I am looking for a set that has both 1/2" and 3/8" drive with metric and standard sizes.

I'd probably just pick up whatever Harbor Freight has... I have one set from them for large (3/4") sockets in metric for odd nuts and bolts. My normal size (1/2") are Stanley brand from Walmart and they work just fine but don't see much use other than lug nuts.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Any recommendations for a reciprocating saw? Need to cut the flex pipe off my brother's Camry and clamp a replacement in. I have an air compressor and cut off wheel but I'd have to unbolt the exhaust from the header and when I did it on my Camry one of the bolts or nuts stripped so I'd like to avoid doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Do you guys know where I can get exhaust clamps for dirt cheap? I paid $11 for a temporary flex pipe + 1 clamp and it seems silly to pay more than half that for just a single clamp.