Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Can all mitre saws take abrasive metal cut off blades? I have only really seen them on the drop saw type, as in the ones you cant adjust for angle.

On that note, can your average hand held circular saw take metal cut offs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
They're also known as 'Floggers' in Australia and the UK anyway. Really common in the marine world, ships and platforms.

That said, I have never really seen many that small nor have I ever seen them double-hex.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I think a cheap generator will serve you better.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Speed chart. Good starting point for speeds, I'd run even slower than what they recommend.
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/drill_speed/

Another quick way to determine an appropriate drill speed is the '100/100 Rule', which basically breaks down to:

A 100mm bit should be spun at 100 rpm. So if you half the drill size double the speed etc. So a 10mm drill is ~1000rpm. This is for steel.

Obviously its for those of us who stick to metric only, but it was always used as a guideline when we were taught fitting/machining in Australia.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Raw_Beef posted:

Any opinions on 3/4dr impact guns? I need a high torque pro one but dont want to owe snap on my soul. Hoping to find that pawn shop gold but i need to know what models are cool.

Our Bahco ones have proved reliable, which is a big statement on a ship. They cop a lot of abuse and wet air and need nothing but a squirt of oil before use.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

thebigcow posted:

Any suggestions on battery operated grease guns? I'm looking to get something fairly heavy duty for my dad to use on the farm. We have a hand pump John Deere gun that's nice but he's getting old and I think its too much work for him when he needs to do an entire machine at once (or anything at all considering the number of bearings I've had to replace this past year).

Looking around on the internet I see people recommending Milwaukee and Lincoln. I've also had my eye on the 18v John Deere. Any other brands I should be looking at? Shoulder strap is a must.

Alemite is the only real answer, most of the other brands are copies/clones anyway so get the original.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Crustashio posted:

I would suggest a set with 6-pt sockets if you can get them. I've not had good luck with 12pt or universal sockets.

Unchromed Impact sockets seem to be the best of the cheapies.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Simkin posted:

I need a recommendation on a decent, inexpensive paint gun. Prime sources would be from Princess Auto and :canada: Canadian Tire, but if the price is right I'd consider ordering online. I don't plan on doing any huge project - just a motorcycle fairing or three.

Save yourself the headaches and buy a Star. Even second hand because all the spares are available.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Are there good covering sleeves for huge breaker bars?

Basically, my last breaker bar just stayed under the rear seat of the 4x4, and was therefore exposed to huge amounts of dust. I just got a nice breaker bar (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=651014&group_ID=682694&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog) and would like to get a canvas sleeve or something to protect it a bit.

I'd go to a fishing shop and get a rod cover, one that suits a small two piece or telescopic rod will probably fit.

Or go to a canvas sewing place they could probably knock something up for a six-pack.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Its a 33mm bolt actually. :v:

Buy a flogging spanner.

Sure it's not 32? 33 is an odd size, they tend to be even numbers once you get larger than 27.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Why is everyone doing up their filters so tight? I can't remember the last time I couldn't undo one with my hand.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Anphear posted:

Does Aussie have a postal service run USA address that you can apply for like we can in NZ? https://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/youshop

Yep! https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

Never used it personally.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

EKDS5k posted:

Does anyone know of a good tool for removing insulation from multiple wire cables, without damaging the insulation on the individual wires inside? I fix a lot of extension cords and charging cables (and the occasional 7-wire trailer harness), and my current strategy of being reeeeaally careful with a utility knife just isn't doing it for me anymore.

My SnapOn guy recommended either of these from Knipex, but it would have to be a special order, and I'm not convinced that a more expensive one will do a better job anyway. It's not exactly a heavy duty task.

Any good cheaper alternatives?

Wouldn't basically any wire stripper do this? i.e The 'T-Rex' style ones.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

MRC48B posted:

- Don't put anti-seize on your lug threads. Torque ratings are for clean, dry threads.

The product literature will generally mention how much to modify your torque figures for equivalent stretch. 20% less torque is pretty common.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Powershift posted:

Well, it didn't fuckin work.

Aired it up to 100 psi. the smallest tip i've got for the blow gun is about 3mm, it spits out air for about 15 seconds. only the first 5 seconds or so is usable. once i get the big compressor fixed, i'll narrow the tip down to a needle and run it up to 200 psi but it just doesn't seem like you can get enough air in with a regular compressor to make it a viable idea.

Yeah that's gently caress all air, even at 14bar. Hence why they charge those things to 300ish bar. You could try making a little venturi tip to get a little more volume.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

literally a fish posted:

I'm a big fan of Iroda's Solderpro series of butane powered soldering irons. I'm yet to have it gum up from butane impurities (which is disappointingly common with the Wellers) and it works pretty well. I have the 120, but I don't see why the lower models wouldn't be just as good for occasional use.

I've had the little Solderpro 50 for about 10 years and it's always worked fine. Probably worthwhile buying decent gas instead of shoestring market lighter refills.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Kafouille posted:

I'm wondering about getting a cordless grinder and rigging up a 18v corded power supply, so I can choose, but I'm concerned about the duty cycle on the motor/electronics.

You could probably buy twenty corded grinders for the cost of a power supply that'll much the current handling of a modern battery pack.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you need to cut a lock off (idiot went home without removing / lost key / idiot can't be found)

Or if you're on many Australian mine sites, fly back to work at your expense and remove your lock. There's signs at the airport to remind people to remove their locks.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I’m thinking lemon.

All meters will do that.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
T Bolts suck hard. Worm is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just had some fun with a stuck fastener that I eventually drilled out. It was a pan head hex, but it was too big for my Alden Grabits to get purchase and turned into a huge pain in the butt to try and drill and dremel out. At one point I got the bright idea I’d try a oscillating multi tool, and popped in a brand new $20 titanium bi metal cutting bit to shear off the head, but only chowdered the drat thing instead, so that really sucked. Combination of Kroil to loosen and tap magic to help cut the fastener didn’t seem to do much either.

I was thinking something like a spline drive socket might have actually worked on it, but that’s a specialty tool I don’t have. Anyone have recommendations on extraction tools? I see Gearwrench has a bolt biter extraction socket set. I didn’t try the Kentucky blue wrench, but this probably would’ve been the right time to bust it out.

Unfortunately the head was too mangled to get an impact hex socket in. I just hate not having the right tools when I need it.

Some left hand drills in sensible sizes are always good to have on hand.