Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My Harbor Freightload for the weekend:

1x Hi-Lift jack copy - this thing is fuckin' built and I have no doubts as to its durability. Heavy. Good steel pins in it, or so it appears. Lifted the Blazer (which is on 33's with a 4 inch lift) for a tire change no problemo, didn't even break a sweat. Only downside is that it doesn't have the rotating end piece so you can use it as a giant clamp. No big deal. Definitely worth the $35.99 sale price.

2x 4000 lb come-along - these were on sale for $13.99 a pop. We needed them to move a ~500 pound oak limb that went through my roof in the recent Arkansas ice storm. They are the same as the 2000 pound one, but use a pulley on the far end to double the capacity. I unrigged the pulley and ran them straight for longer pull. Just like the jack, strong as hell and though lowering requires two hands, it wasn't too bad.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lando posted:

Whats the part number for the jack?

Are the Husky brand jacks and jackstands worth the purchase?

Dunno about the Husky jacks / stands but everybody says HF jacks are pretty much worth the money.

Part number for the farm jack is 6530, I believe. They had a huge pile of them in the back.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stevobob posted:

I'm only perturbed that it's too cold to mess with most of it :(

Fact: The shittier the weather is when you work on your car, the better the repair will perform.

Brake swap on a 75 degree sunny day? poo poo will disintegrate in 500 miles.

Replace your radiator when it's 8 degrees with freezing rain? You're good until you sell the car, and it'll add 5 HP minimum.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lowclock posted:

(or should I wait another year and buy it a pack of smokes?).

Just don't wait four years, or it'll be old enough to go buy a pistol and get some revenge on your rear end!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, dumb fuckin' question time - I am at the point of auto repair experience that I would maybe like a modest air tool setup, I can mainly see use for the ratchet and impact gun side of things.

What all do I need - compressor, tank, lines and fittings?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jared592 posted:

Speaking of tools, have any of you seen this?
I was pretty intrigued by the idea. I know they have this sort of thing on industrial service vehicles, but on your car?

(btw I think he might be a Jeep ricer- I wasn't aware they made Rubicons with the 2.5L 4 cyl engine)

Onboard air is pretty standard equipment for rock crawlin' dudes - they use them for air tools, air lockers and also to air up tires when they get back on the highway after crawling at 10psi or whatever horrifically low pressure they run offroad. I want onboard air for my Blazer pretty bad, right after I get a winch and catalytic heaters built into the rear cargo bay.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Christ, that's awful. the M50 in my 325i is supposed to do over 200 PSI, that wouldn't be useful in the least bit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

oxbrain posted:

What do you do when autozone has already rented out their spring compressors and you're too cheap for harbor freight?

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

edit: Not mine.

Christ, I would have at least pretended to make it burly by using some chain links and stacks of washers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ha! I gotta get one of those for the truck.

AKA "don't bother breaking in and stealing my tools"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have sinned, and neglected my tools in the carport over some harrowing repairs that I've been doing this spring.

I've got sockets and bits everywhere, need to clean everything up.

Is there a particular method you all like for cleaning and shining up your stuff? I was thinking of a good strong Simple Green solution in a big tub and let the stuff soak and slosh around for a while, then rinse with distilled, blow off the air and let them all dry, then is there any sort of protectant I can/should use?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm moving from my house back into an apartment in town, then I'll be moving out of state, but I'm not really sure what to do with my tools. I need to be able to get stuff up and down stairs, so I don't think my big Craftsman chest is going to do the trick for me. About the only thing I can think to do is get that big Stanley wheeled 50-gal tote and a bunch of individual organizers for things like my sockets and wrenches. Anyone have better suggestions?

I think there's an old wives' tale about this one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, they have a series of QD water hose fittings at Home Depot for water lines. Haven't tried them but they look okay.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kastein posted:

I can charge it anywhere if I build a 6v charger that runs off a car.

Find a junker laptop power supply. 18-19 volts at a couple of amps, charge in series! I like the cut of your jib on this one, by the way. I have a few 14.4 drills with smoked batteries and was thinking of just hardwiring a set of jumper cables to one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Any thoughts on the Harbor Freight 80 amp inverter welder (not the $79 buzzbox) for an absolute beginner who has never laid a bead? I don't want to box in frames or anything, just build little brackets and stuff, and maybe do a rust patch or two on sheet metal. Maybe a roof rack.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Has anybody experimented with reloading cordless tool battery packs? I've got a fairly decent Panasonic drill with two smoked nicads and am thinking of buying a bunch of eBay cells; it's while-watching-TV work for me so labor's not an issue, and the cost would be less than half of new packs. They appear to be simple, 10-cell sub-C series wired, no chips or anything.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Excellent tips on the battery pack rebuilds, guys, with any luck and about $30 I should have two new packs for this pretty nice Panasonic! Sure beats my other cordless drill, which was a 12v that I literally bolted jumper cables to. Eh, it's portable enough.

---

I have a wild goose chase for you all. I am looking for an adapter for 1/4" standard hex drivers to fit those little micro hex bits that are getting popular. I have seen varying terms for the latter, though, and though I've seen one of these in a Youtube video, i can't seem to find one to purchase. If it's part of a little $10 bit kit or whatever, that's fine too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not quite. However, I found them, once I learned that the little bits are often referred to as 4mm hex bits.

This will allow me to just pick up one quality driver and have a wide array of both stronger full-size, and smaller precision bits.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Picked up the 3/8" Harbor Freight clicker torque wrench to do my spark plugs. I know how to calibrate it and was going to use two new gallon jugs of water (16.68 lb) as my calibration weight, my plug torque is 17 +/2 2 ft-lb so it should work well enough for that job.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think Crunches are too fiddly and require too much setup to use as an everyday belt tool, but they're amazing for small toolboxes.

I've gone back and forth between Gerber and Leatherman over the years; my favorite was just a big rear end basic Core. Beat the hell out of it for 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
One more that i'll suggest if you want a tiny yet amazing keychain/front pocket tool and find yourself playing with electronics a lot is the Leatherman Squirt ES4. It's got enough plier tip at the end to do needle-nosey things, and is a pretty drat good wire stripper. Handle tools aren't bad for the size.