Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

There should be. My brother-in-law is still $40,000 in tool debt from the year he decided to be a mechanic, then subsequently decided he didn't like it.

What? How is that even possible? Does he at least have a bitchin' tool collection to show for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a stubborn lug nut. Should I get this?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Sounds like you're out of options. That may be your only choice. Good luck.

That's what I feared. Anyone have a cheap source of 3½" drive 17mm sockets?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Those angle iron things are poo poo and slide all over, even when using the drive wheels. I ended up selling mine for a song to some poor schmuck. I can rent a lift for $20/hr or use my friends for free, gently caress violently sliding around, risking life, limb and body panel damage.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Any somewhat sober machinist should be able to churn out a few of those, but whether it'll be cost effective...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I'd be careful with HF torque wrenches. I bought one before I had the Craftsman...when I was installing an exhaust header I gave my less than mechanically inclined friend who was assisting me the job of torquing the header bolts with it, and he wrenched away until he sheared off the bolt head (and the wrench never clicked.) I'd probably test its function before using it on anything critical.

Some 1/2" torque wrenches can rathcet both ways, but in turn, you flip-flop the square drive itself. One way is with click, the other way is without. Just be careful, and try at a low setting before you go balls to the wall.

I found out just before I overtorqued something on my brother's brand new insanely expensive road bike frame.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

So this looks really great to me, I wanted to know what other people's opinions were?

I've read the whole thread, but man.. it's long. Was the consensus that HF is great for everything as long as it's not electric? Everyone's been talking about the decline in craftsman tools, is HF a decent alternative? As long as I'm not wailing on the tools with hammers, are they good enough to rebuild a whole car? Maybe that's a stupid question...

If you're just starting out, a huge set with every socket is a really great starting point. The stuff you use all the time might break, but then you can upgrade as you go. Not much point in having $100 tied up the that Snap-On female Torx 100 deep 1-1/4" left hand thread unobtanium impact socket you never use.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My electrician uncle brought home a FLIR camera for christmas one year. What a glorious toy. Too bad they're friggin' expensive.

Edit: Found some pictures. These were taken on christmas eve, I believe it was a few below freezing.

My parents' house from the outside. Red on the right are windows, yellow/green to the left of those is a wooden wall. It could probably be better insulated:

Three windows, middle one is about 35 years newer than the other two:

Main entrance. With a brass doorhandle assembly aka. heatsink:

My dumbass brother:

Also, no thermal camera discussion is complete without this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FOM_2kCOaM

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 28, 2011

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've looked quite a bit into the Pelican 0450, and while it's cool as gently caress, there's a few things to consider. It's fairly expensive, and the neat foam inserts are custom cut, so you'll need to get that done somewhere. Also, by design you tilt it 90 degrees when you transport it, so you need to make sure the contents can handle that.

You can, however, get cases in all sorts of sizes from Pelican, so if you can do some sort of custom insert...

Also, PowerShift, that's some bigass wrenches. Is the other end supposed to be hit by a hammer, or do you fix a huge extension on to it?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Its a great case, but have you priced it? If money wasn't an issue, I'd own one.

As for the foam, you can get the blank sheets, and cut it yourself. You can't do pick 'n' pluck with that case, at least not easily.

It's a little over €1000 over here... and I definately want one.

Could you post a link or two for that pluck'n'pull foam you were talking about...?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Man that Snap-On box look nice. How much, how heavy, and how come not red?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I made this "spacer" for my rolling tool cabinet. It's made from black Delrin and 30x30x2 aluminum angle stock, and is 40 mm tall. It greatly increases the space on which you can put tools while you're working, as you can just leave one end out.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Breast Pussy posted:

if I was talking about torque wrenches I would've quoted the dude who asked about them. I'm just gloating about a decent deal I got.

That is a cool deal. Is 3/8" useful, or somewhat small for an impact? I don't think I've ever seen an impact socket that wasn't 1/2".

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Carl Ras has a niiiice Bahco jack on sale I've been eying all week. I'd rather have the BH11500 model, which only lifts 1.5 ton but has a longer reach.

I've had the tHansen jack + stands for years, haven't killed me yet. Protip, make sure to hammer in the little tabs on the stands, otherwise the black part will fall out all the time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can't seem to find a picture right now, but Biltema (Harbour Freight for Scandinavians) have this semi-soft off white rubber hockey puck thingy (100 mm diameter/30 mm thick ish) which is really cool for this. It's pliable and large enough to not munch up pinch welds or destroy proprietary BMW jack points, and cheap enough to replace when it gets munched up years down the line.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The impact ones are also much more rust prone compared to good chrome plated sockets. But yeah, nothing really wrong with just getting a set of impacts if you don't have the room/funds for both.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Ball-ends are cool for low torque applications, but the loosening/tightening is best done with a real bit/key.

Which is why the L-shaped ones have a long lever for the real deal and a short one for the ball-end.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Or perhaps a chain?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The jack I've been lusting after for a good while finally came on sale, so I bought it. Bahco BH11500. Just tried it out putting the summer tires on granma's yaris, and it's quite nice. Big heavy fucker, though, glad I only have to push it around.

bolind fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Finally got my crowsfoot wrenches. Ordered them january 27th(!)

Fit and finish is nice, but not perfect. I don't have any other "KS Tools" so time'll show what they're up to.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, supposedly the SOP is to just make sure it's at a 90 degree angle to the torque wrench, that's close enough for almost all applications.

Jeg ville ønske grafikdriveren var forsikret, for nu er den gået i udu... :)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What power brake bleeders are good?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That's a pretty decent idea... if you want to really go all out, make it with a siphon jar that holds a liter or two of brake fluid so you don't have to worry about running the master cylinder dry.

Yeah, was thinking about that as well. With the Motive one, you need to disconnect everything and add brake fluid as you use it, yeah?

Also, cool new links when quoting.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK, so some brake fluid goes into the motive bottle? Cool. I need to get myself one of those.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have experience with products from Raceramps? I'm specifically considering ordering these: http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLogicLimited/Adjustable_Height_Wheel_Cribs.html

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Finally caved in and got the Wera Joker set. 10, 13, 17 and 19mm, dunno what happened to the 15 but hey.

They seem nice and strong. The little grippy plate thingie is replacable. Looking forward to testing them out.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've never wrenched on a Subaru, but my Bahco BH11500 jack is long and low. Expensive, though, and may not be available in the US. I have a feeling that it's rebranded, though, so maybe Snap-On (who owns Bahco) has one?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I live in an apartment complex, with a basement level parking garage. I've pitched the idea of installing a compressor there, ostensibly to air up bicycle and car tires, but maybe I'd like to sneak in the odd air-tool as well.

It'll live in its own little room, with some sort of air line running out to the garage space proper.

What size compressor will I be looking at? Any idea how to limit running time on the actual motor to, say, 9am to 7pm (which is our official "power tools are allowed".) How do I detect a leak and shut it down so it doesn't burn itself up? Oiled or oilless? Is this even feasible?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We'd probably need some sort of auto on/off timer thingie as I won't be around to baby it 24/7/365.

Good point on the noise suppression box, I've actually seen one of those at one point. But, like you said, heat issues need to be considered.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^^^^ The concept was that it would be available to the rest of the unwashed masses as well. The timer was just so it didn't made noise during the night. People would then have to use the air in the tank, which should be plenty if they don't abuse it.

Raw_Beef posted:

If youre going to run off of regular plug in voltage, not that fancy 220, you could just get a standard timer at your local hardware store and that would take care of it.
Edit: despite being a farily competent auto electrician i know zilch about home/commercial electrical, so i dont know how much load one of said timers can sustain before blowing out or whatever. Look into that before taking a vacation and finding out you burned the apartments down.

I'm in Europe, we have 230V everywhere :smug:

I found a fairly cheap "industrial" timer that'll do 16A (in 230V) so I guess that should suffice.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, all the compressors I've looked at had ratings in kW so...

Raw_Beef, even simpler: amps times volts equals watts (A x V = W)*. So the same power (watts) can be had by increasing voltage while dropping amperage, and vice versa.

This is why you 'mercuns stress so much when using more than average juice (welders, compressors, espresso machines). Your 120V is fixed, so the amps go up, and there's a limit to how many amps you can draw through normal house wiring. Meanwhile, I have 13 and 16 amp fuses in my little yuppie flat, but since it's in 230V, I can draw the equivalent of 26/32amps had I had half the voltage (120V-ish).

*In not very rigorous mathematical terms. It's still true, though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Made these DIY Race Ramps Mark I last night. XPS foam good to 500 kPa crudely cut with a boxcutter and glued together with caulk (cause it was within reach.) They're 80 cm long, 28 wide and 10 tall on the highest "step". They weigh less than a kilo a piece.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bolind fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 6, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How much pressure do you need inside the pressure bleeder? Would a garden sprayer rated to 3 bars be enough?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

thegasman2000 posted:

Should I be able to get these wheels off with standard tools? No idea what I need.

Yeah, I see ten lobes as well, which doesn't really equate to any standard. It's most likely some sort of anti-theft bolt.

If it doesn't have to survive, you could maybe get a cheap torx bit (six-lobe) in the right size and hammer that fucker in there, but your best bet is probably to see if you can find the correct safety adapter.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Attention all :denmark:-goons. Biltema (our answer to Harbor Freight) is finally, finally, FINALLY opening a store in the greater Copenhagen area.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have this chuck, fits up to 13mm drills, that I bought for nothing in the hope I could mount it to my cordless drill, as it only accepts drills up to 10mm.

Unfortunately, it needs a "B16" tapered "mating" or whatever it's called. Can I get a B16 to 8mm hex or something adaptor?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My Proxxon 1/4" sets both have this thing, although I've never thought of it the way you do. Guess I'll try it out!

Although I guess Proxxon isn't the first choice for 'mericans.

Edit: The handle on it's own is called 23702, try to GIS 'proxxon 23702'.

bolind fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 20, 2014

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking to get my old man an infrared thermometer for Christmas. Initially I had my sights set on a Fluke, but HOLYSHITISTHATINPESOS?! kicked in.

There's a bunch of more or less dubious brands around that fit the budget. What should I be looking for in one? He doesn't have a specific need, I just figured it would be something nice to have around the house.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I realize they're probably fine but that seems like a lot of weight to be ultimately just hanging out on the threads of a screw. The fine adjustment is probably nice but is there anything that actually locks them into a set height?

I really want to get a set or two of these eventually.

I have a copy of those and they're nice, but I disagree with the footprint-to-height ratio. At full extension I'd be very wary to support a vehicle with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

AncientTV posted:

Using many approximations, my napkin numbers say it would take a force of about 10 kN at the car/stand touch point to tip something like that. 1.4 kN pushing from the top of the car.

Hmm, I suppose you're right in the mechanical sense. Maybe my fears stemmed from the fact that the surface I use them on isn't all that flat (asphalt surface in a parking garage.)

I have mine modified like this for the BMW, which is super nice if a bit make specific.