Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Kobalt tools are nice because lowes WILL exchange them no questions asked. poo poo Ive exchanged stanley and a few others while working returns with no problems. Its like craftsman without the bullshit and few plastic levers on ratchets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

How about a http://www.amazon.com/Expedition-To...h/dp/B001LQH1NQ hydrokinetic wrench? Seems like it would be less than useful on stuck bolts under the hood but anyone use one?

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

frozenphil posted:

You ever see an idea and go, "Why the gently caress did I not think of that"?

Hey they are on display like that at Lowe's, works great!

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

When ever Ive used cinder blocks in the past I would put 2-3 pieces of dunnage between the block and car. Dunnage is the wood that comes strapped to the underside of bundles of bulk wood. You can get them free at Lowe's or Home Depot if you ask the lumber people nicely. I still keep the jack there as backup along with more than one backup incase stuff fails. Such as if you take the wheel off, put it under the car. Something to keep it from dropping all the way to the ground.

I have a few old tires I use for this purpose too, lay the wheel/tire down, throw old tire ontop. Ive fully lowered a crapbox civic on a stack like that and it was solid. I will say I never went under it.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

I know autozone loaner tools are free, you only pay the deposit and you get the full deposit back when you return the tools.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

I used to live a 5 min drive from harbor freight, now its a 90 mile drive. Have never been to that one either, did the math and its like 26 in gas so I figure shipping on the website will be cheaper on most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

A review of that kit says that you get two sets of allen wrenches in SAE and two sets in metric. That's a lot of allens. You probably also get a buttload of shallow sockets

Still better than the bullshit "multifit" sockets that strip everything. Totally going to my local lowes today for that 3/8ths direct drive handle, tossing the bs sockets in the garbage on the way out.