Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Any recommendations for waste fluid storage? When I did all my fluid changes at my parents house I never had to worry about recycling anything. My dad would take all my used oil/atf/diff lube and throw it in his chainsaw as bar and chain oil. I found a 3 gallon jug on Amazon, but I'd like something a little bigger, maybe with a built in funnel. I drive a Dodge Ram so transport is a non issue.

If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd just get a 55 gallon drum :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Hypnolobster posted:

Big drums are a pain in the rear end, the best system I've ever come up with is to just use oil buckets (the 5 or 6.5 gallon buckets with pour spouts that hydraulic oil/other bulk oil comes in) and just fill one or two up. Drums are really, really heavy.

They work best if you can get buckets that never had the lid removed, just the pull up spout used. Fill it with a funnel instead of opening the big lid and they don't leak.

Never thought of those 5 gallon buckets. Perfect.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
For lug nuts and suspension bolts my HF 1/2 drive clicker has been fine. Same goes for the 3/8 version. For 10 dollars with a coupon, you can't really go wrong. All three of mine were made in Taiwan, they seem to be of decent quality.

If I was building a motor I would buy a CDI, it's basically a Snap-on wrench for less $.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I use a pistol grip Lincoln grease gun at work to lube machines daily, they are just about the best I've used. I've never had a problem with them loving up, but if a zerk is sticking or grease is spilling out then I just put a new fitting on. I also wipe the fitting off after I lube it, which goes a long way in avoiding any hassles.

The lever style ones suck rear end, and usually end up chucked out in the brush.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

nwin posted:

What's a decent torque wrench to get? I only very occasionally do some light work on my Accord and my wife's Explorer, so nothing too crazy. I'm thinking 3/8 would be the best drive size to get, yeah?

If I had to go with one size, I would choose 1/2, mostly for doing lug nuts. It depends entirely on what light work you will be doing.

Harbor Freight has the clicker-type wrenches for 9.99 with coupon, so I just bought one of each size. For the occasional home mechanic they are great.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Just picked up the new teardrop composite 3/8 ratchet from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-professional-composite-tear-drop-ratchet-62318.html

Incredibly smooth action, this thing has already replaced my Craftsman as my go-to. Waiting for a 1/2 version to come out, I had a chance to handle the flex-head version and it was nice as well.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Everyone should wear some type of eye protection, although I can see if you are the type to wear glasses only and no contacts, then prescription safety glasses might be considered a luxury. Still, I recommend getting some, as your eyesight is worth protecting.

Either way, here are two styles I use at work, they are both very good and I think everyone should have at least 1 pair, and with them being under 10 dollars a pair, you really have no excuse!

Jackson Nemesis

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-30003...+safety+glasses

Jackson Hellraiser, I recommend these for smaller/narrow faces

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-30138...kson+hellraiser

After using both I will never use any other kind again The anti-fog is pretty good, at least I've never had a pair fog up on me unless it was really really cold (like, in the 20s or teens). I like these because they are at least somewhat stylish. My only complaint with these is that they scratch pretty easily if you wipe them off with any kind of dirt on them.

They also come in shaded versions, which make for some nice looking sunglasses!

I also have a pair of prescription ones, made by 3M link removed, nevermind

This is the only pair I've had, but they are comfortable, lightweight, hard to scratch, and never fog up.

Strawberry fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
My bad, link removed.