Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Bringing this back from the dead...
Has anyone run automotive paint through one of these? How did it work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

ease posted:

Do electric impact wrenches still user the hammer type mechanism that an air one uses? Does it still make that machine gun like sound?

The good quality ones do. There are a few cheap ones that have to spin up for each impact and are more like 'whiiiiir....crack.' Chances are that you won't encounter one of these unless you go for the absolute cheapest - think $30.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

sharkytm posted:

I'm building one around mine. I'll use lead flashing and 3 densities of foam to try and absorb the noise.

What do you plan to do about heat dissipation?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Sexual Lorax posted:

Please let me know your impression of it. I'm in the market for a 1/2" cordless impact, and $100 seems like a really good price for tool, charger, and two batteries.

I've had the same one for two years or so now. The charge in the battery really makes a difference regarding what sort of work it can do. Unfortunately, the only way you start to notice your battery is running down is failure to loosen a fastener. Overall, it is a fairly decent tool for the price, but it does have its limitations. If you're looking for something to use trackside for wheel changes, it works very well. If you're looking for something to break loose every fastener you haven't been able to loosen with a breaker bar, this isn't the tool for you. Then again, unless you're spending quite a bit more either on an air setup or on an extremely expensive electric impact, you won't be doing much better.

The fact that the wrench is cordless makes many of these shortcomings forgivable - you get a lot more use out of it since it is just grab and use. Additionally, when I bought it, it came with two batteries, which certainly comes in handy when doing actual work.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

ab0z posted:

You are correct. Except for their 99cent safety glasses, those are a decent value for throwaway/giveaway/working under the car use.

Welding helmet and nearly all of their gloves as well.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

frozenphil posted:

Because I don't like to purchase disposable tools and I may want it for more than one job or sell it along if I decide I don't?

Looks homemade to me, but not disposable.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Dunno if anyone needs it, but if you're looking for a compressor, Sears has the Dewalt D55273, 10.3 SCFM delivered @ 100 PSI and 150 Max PSI, for $400.97 with free (freight) shipping. Right now you can get 8% Bing cash back using the search term 'hdd.'

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919254000P for

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

sharkytm posted:

DO NOT BUY HF TAPS OR DIES. Dear god, they suck worse than anything I've ever used for tapping. Spend the cash, and get some decent taps. The correct drill bit, good cutting fluid, and a good tap will make you wonder why you ever tried with anything else. Heck, even Vermont American taps from the hardware store are acceptable, but NOT the HF stuff. Their old tap sets used to even say "Not for use in metal, use in plastic only."

THEY WORK PERFECTLY FINE FOR CHASING THREADS THAT ALREADY EXIST. See, I can type in caps too. They are threaded and spaced correctly and are cheaper than anything else on the market. I can't comment on their more expensive tap and die sets, but I have had absolutely no trouble with the cheapo 60 piece set.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Splizwarf posted:

The trouble for me is those round handles. I like corners on my handles, round handles are a lot harder to beat with a sledge.

You shouldn't be beating a ratchet with a sledge under any circumstances. Get the right tool for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

havelock posted:

I got my jack stands and jack from Sears for only a bit more expensive than HF. I don't care whether they were good quality, I had a mental block with buying the cheapest tool when it was something that would potentially be supporting the entire car above my face.

Generally, the Harbor Freight jacks are of significantly better quality than Sears crap. This is especially (anecdotally) the case with aluminum jacks.