Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Watch some teardowns, DeWalt has some great stuff that's engineered well and then they have total inexcusable crap right next to it on the same shelf.

I'm saving for Milwaukee because all their tools seem solid and I really like PackOut, their storage system. It makes sense for what my garage does, which is maintenance and restoration in two 12-car warehouses. I probably wouldn't buy in to PackOut if I had a regular garage with only a couple of bays, but being able to leave tool storage with the tools next to the car I'm working on and not getting bitched at for leaving tools out sounds cool as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys like for AC gauges? Our Harbor Freight set's plastic housing broke, it still works but you have to hold the housing away from the dial or it won't turn. Is there a price-reliability sweet spot somewhere if I'm looking to replace them?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

These manual tools are better than an air / electric impact gun in one specific situation - trying to get a phillips screw out where you're fighting both stuck threads and a head that's trying to round out. The act of hammering also drives the bit into the screw to make round-out much less likely.

I always thought driving a Philips head with a powered brapp (electric or pneumatic doesn't matter) is playing dangerous games because if it cams out it can slip several times and chowder the head before you can remove power. The manual impact driver won't do that because of all the force used to interlock the driver and head.

Is that not the case?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Is there some reason a garden hose as a siphon wouldn't work? Did you just really want to kill a Shop Vac?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Get Torque and a no-name bluetooth OBD2 reader off eBay for $5. I'm on my second (first got stolen off a desk) and I've had no problems. I used to double check with a Snap-On reader owned by the shop but it never found anything my cheapo didn't.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just buy a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 reader off Ebay and use an app on your phone. I personally use Torque, and a reader I bought for $4 three years ago and when I worked at a garage I found that Torque worked more reliably and refreshed faster than the dedicated Snap-On ODB2 reader that belonged to the garage.

The only downside I know of is that some people have bad luck with bluetooth OBD2 readers showing up DOA, but they're so cheap to make and ship here that the resellers rarely give you any poo poo and will just send another and tell you to destroy the first without even asking for proof that it's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

There are a select few things I'll g out of my way to tell people not to buy also. How do these companies not realize how damaging this is to their reputation? Over simple, basic customer service that they are failing to provide.

With Price Pfister I get it, because home consumers are not The Customer. The Customer is the contractor who's gonna install fourteen hundred of them in new or renovated apartments every couple months. That's their model, and if they lose out on consumer sales so be it, they're still going to sell millions.

From what I've seen, Stihl cares about chainsaws and chainsaws alone. Not that all their chainsaws are good, but I'd honestly be surprised if they had in-sourced manufacturing of anything other than chainsaws and chainsaw accessories. Maybe sending you to a service center is their way of hiding how the sausage gets made, so you don't see the brand they bought it from's name on the box for the repair part?

I'd bet if you found a part number you could probably order that hose from somewhere.