Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

oxbrain posted:

No, you'll need a lot more than that.

I'm planning on building something like this, but with a larger tank, for track use.
http://www.instructables.com/id/CO2...-filling-tires/
I don't like that rig. There are some problems with it that I could fix.. But filling your tires with CO2 has it's own trouble. CO2's pressure of vaporization is a rather nasty curve, and you can reach tempratures and pressures that will cause co2 to condense without any real trouble. If that's "all I had to work with" I'd do it, and I'd put a vapor separator between the bottle and the regulator, and then I'd put some sort of radiator on the regulators output, the closer to ambiant the co2 is when it goes int the tires the better off you are. And then I'd fill my tires slowly.

The 100psi air tank won't get you far either. If you picked up a paintball air tank you could have a chance, but you'd need to find a 88 or 114/4500 do do any real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

ease posted:

Dremel tools are good for taking down toe nails.

... I have done this three times. The smell of ground, burning, infected, toenail will never leave my memory.

However, dremmels with cutoff wheels are quite useful. Not just for toes. I've burnt out one craftsman model, and a black and decker clone. My actual dremmel is still humming along nicely.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

contact cleaner?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I have a screwdriver with two heads. Phillips and Flathead. I was told that I shouldn't use the flathead because it does both.

..... No, it's perfectly fine to use the AC setting on your multimeter.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

chem42 posted:

That is such a idea
you have no idea. There was a tractor company, that had a four, or six cylinder engine in the tractor. Two cylinders were a compressor, and the tractor had built in air tanks.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Kynetx posted:

For cheap hand tools, you can hardly miss with Harbor Freight. Their wrenches and socket sets are nearly as good as Craftsman or Cobalt and they have the same warranty.

You're wrong. It's easy to miss at harbor freight. I bought a small set of metric double ended wrenches... not a single one was machined to size, nor were they strong enough to work on fasteners they did fit. This is the same for almost every screwdriver they have. Most of the pliers they have are also soft, and poorly made.

That said, the Pittsburgh brand hand tools they have. THOSE are good quality. You need to be very careful about what you chose there, as to weather you got plated cheddar cheese, or you got actual workable metal.

And I really like harbor freight....

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

RealKyleH posted:

It says it can cut up to 4.5" round which is pretty much the biggest I can handle in my machine.
I picked mine up for $75.. used. :-) the thing is devilishly useful

I own a metal cutting bandsaw, drill press, and grinder. Now I just need to add REAL machine tools.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Most people I know with these bandsaws run them dry. I've had no trouble with mine, even running dry. A big, long, belt does a lot for keeping the blade cool.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Maybe a Park Tools backpack case?

That backpack, with minor changes was sold by JT as a paintball pack. It's some serious gear.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Suniikaa posted:

A big loving hammer.

To back this up. This is not a joke.

Harbor freight's pittsburgh series of hand tools are good. I wait for sales and buy sets of combination wrenches for $10. They're better than the craftsman bits I have.

Harbor freight is hit and miss. The good stuff they have is GOOD. There are items that are right next to each other, with similar prices, that are complete trash. You need to use careful judgement there.

Dont' forget to goto home depot, or lowes. Home depot has craftmsan seconds in orange bags there. And screwdrivers that look like craftsman.. are craftsman, just dont have the warrenty.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I do mine by type of tool EAch gets it's own drawer, screwdrivers, pliars, Sockets/Extentions/etc all take up two drawers. A small drawer for my nut drivers. A drawer holds my bits taps, and tap holders.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I bought two sets of these last time they came on woot. The sockets are decent. The ratchet itself is somewhat rough, but didn't leave me with the "I'm going to lose my knuckles" feel.

They're probably worth the $12 individually, much less as a set of two.

I may well be buying another two sets. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've worked on a lot of machines. And I've never broken a rachet.. And i'm not gentle. I am not beyond taking a mallet to the handle on a rachet to break lose a bolt. Or standing on a rachet.

Speaking of tools. Have any of you built your own? Say your own grinder, or buffind wheel? Perhaps a special breaker bar? Or the right spanner to undo a custom nut that honda decided had to be on a clutch. (I had to do that...) I'm building a mill right now. Which will eventually be CNC.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So I asked.... But didn't offer up my own.

I'm building a 3 axis cnc mill. I think that qualifies as "building your own tools"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3216673

So far, I've been able to make "some" progress every day. As little as tapping eight holes some days, to as much as cutting out 13 parts another day.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I picked up a Brute 10gallon compressor tonight. $114 out the door at Home Depot, with an accessory kit, and extra QD. For all of my paintball stuff I use the female connectors on the hoses. Is there a standard? Is it all female going towards the air source?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

sharkytm posted:

And FYI: Your paintball gun needs upwards of 2000psi, nothing that your home compressor can put out. I figure you know that, but just checkin'.

The guns need 150-1100psi, depending on valve design. the tanks are 3000,4500, or 5000psi. ;-) I have no pretense of filling a paintball HPA tank on a LP compressor.

With my paintball stuff I always set it up with the female ends on hoses so I could use parts universally, either end.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

well, I fired up the compressor for the first time tonight. It's like 3 minutes from startup till 125psi. good-nuff for me.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I think I've only gone through three cutoff disks in my angle grinder. And I've used it to cut a lot of material. I am using the harbror freight brand cutoff wheels in their blue 4.5 amp grinder.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Two things...

First harbor freight has some nice tubing cutters for $5. 1/8-1.25" capacity.

Second, they have these fairly large tubes of epoxy for sale. Which only have .2oz of epoxy in them. That was upsetting to discover.

Tonight I need to clean my garage, so I can use my freaking tools.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

sounds like it would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper to just have them laser or water jet cut one by one.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

walmart won't have it. That's like going to aldi for foi-gras. I am suprised ace didn't have it. That said, 1500grit is just fine.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MetaJew posted:

What jack stands do all of you guys use? I'm tired of crushing the pinch seams on my car, and I haven't found much in the way of unibody-friendly stands.
The best place to support a car is either on a cradle mounting bolt, or near a suspension mounting point. On both my focus and sable, I had good points near both. Both cars had tire changing jacks that have the standing seam adapters built into them.

Alternatively, make your own standing seam adapter.. I can't see that being difficult. a block of HUMW, or wood with the grain going across the seam would do nicely.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

oh, BIRTHDAYS. How I love you so. 11 amp Milwaukee Sawsall. Time to do some plumbing.

I was asked what a sawsall was... My answer: It's one giant motherfucker of a jigsaw. It's the badass Armenian cousin of the jigsaw. The one born to the mother with really wide hips, and whose dad bench pressed volvos for fun.

This may have been a bad tool for me to receive. Everything is looking like a nail suddenly.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Lock your tools.

A few months ago, I threw a fit because my stuff had gone missing. "stuff" meaning several sockets, and my socket set had moved around the house. Several times, without my interaction. Best I got was an "oh I'm sorry." I threatened to lock up my tools and got some astonished responses.

Last week I came home, and found my drywall saw laying in the middle of the back yard, with two yard bags full of chopped up tree parts.

This weekend, Mother gave sister permission to tear out the bathroom. To "fix" the vanity and hole in the ceiling. Sister takes my tools, and uses them. Cutting a huge hole where the medicine cabinet should be, and doing a hilariously bad job patching the hole in the ceiling. Hey look, my drywall saw showed up again, and now my putty knives are missing. And my nice tape measure is nowhere to be found.

So I go to work on my car, and I get stopped 3/4 the way through because I can't find my drill. I looked where I left it. It wasn't there. Mother swears up and down she loaned her drill to a friend. She...has...no...working...drill.

The charger, and spare lithium ion battery are sitting in my bedroom. ..... I expect to receive my $80 drill back with a fried battery.

The garage is getting cleaned. My tools are getting paint labels, and locked up. I'm sick of this poo poo.

This was never a problem when I lived with skreemer.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Baby Hitler posted:

Torsen differentials wouldn't work if worm/screw drive could spin itself the other way.

while this is true, the pressure angle is what matters. Torsen diffs are setup with the pressure angle almost 90 deg off from what you'd find on a screw jack.

If screws didn't self lock, screws would just fall out of everything.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

jesus christ, that guy is doing 1.5" depth cuts with a drywall bit... No wonder his surface quality sucks :-) STill that's impressive.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've always gotten better service at murrays/o'riely. I can get in and out in 5-10 minutes. Including going through their slow checkout process.

Autozone is always stocked with people who don't know a spark plug form a coil, or 5w30 from 10w40. ... don't ask me how I know this.

I asked for a vacuum gauge or a manometer. The gauge was on the wall behind the kiddo answering my question. Or not answering the question. He said, without a blink of an eye, or a shadow of a doubt, that they didn't carry anything like that. I walked out. I called his manager the next day.

Napa has always left me wanting.... service. 30-60 minute wait times have been the norm. I only go there for things I can't find otherwise, and can't wait for mail order.

I suppose that's my endorsement for o'rileys.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Uthor posted:

I should have asked before ripping up a few hundred, but is there a tool made for pulling staples out of a floor? There's got to be an easier way than pliers and brute force.

In fact, there is. it looks a little like a demonic fork.

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Up...le-Remover.html

or

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=10758

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

That's my solution too. It works well. A small slit and viola, off it comes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So what's wrong with this picture? And yes.. I still have all of my fingers.

That's a 10 year old craftsman circular saw. Which was brand new before I clamped it to the bottom of my workmate.

I'm happy with the results though. I will likely use this technique again.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

R-Type posted:

Indeed. If that saw ever cuts loose on you, it's going to get more than a pound of flesh.
You're right. I kept my distance. I had a remote shutoff switch. I also didn't disable the blade guard. So if it did come loose, the blade guard would have closed. It was also on a slanted driveway, I stayed uphill from the whole contraption. My hands also never passed over the edges of the table.

Yes, it was redneck as hell. if I am actually going to use that technique again I think I'm going to make a sheet of plywood that will be the saw mount.

That said, I don't foresee needing it much in the future. I know much more about the project I made, and can now cut all the pieces properly at one time. The delta table saw I was using to make the slats for my yurt turned out slats that were almost shiny due to how smooth they were. This thing left pretty rough edges.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I found some micrometers at a local garage sale last weekend. The guy selling them didn't know what he had, so I bought them... and a snowblower.

I paid $30 for all three.

The B&S one is .. for lack of a better word... tight. And it gets tigher as I pull the spindle out, around .8 it becomes worryingly tight. I'm not sure the cause yet. The Starett ones are just fine though.

I'm kinda excited. I've not owned anything more accurate than half a thou until I bought these.

PS: Like my 1970's speckled countertop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I am pretty certain my dad has a standard hanging around his shop, so I should be able to do that myself.