Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is there a generic AI recommendation for a good torque wrench? I'm going to be picking picking up the HF aluminum racing jack and I figured I might as well bundle some other poo poo together that I've been wanting to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Not necessarily auto-related, but I'm making a run out to harbor freight tomorrow afternoon, and I'm thinking about picking up a general around-the-house power drill. Is there generally affordable model that should last me a good long while? I don't want to cheap out since this is the sort of thing I'd like to have for a while, and I'm thinking about building a deck later this summer anyway. I just need something to drill holes and drive screws and not crap out on me after a few months of use.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Black88GTA posted:

Keep driving until you hit Sears or Home Depot. HF is good for some things, but power tools are not one of them.

That said, I have a couple HF power tools and they still work. Then again, I don't use them often.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Would something like this be a good investment? http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19.2-volt-c3-combo-kit-drill-driver-impact/p-00911550000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

For those more knowledgeable than I, is there specific voltage/power level I should be looking at?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I'm finally going to buy my first cordless drill and my budget is around 100 bucks. Is there any appreciable difference other than weight between a dewalt with a NiCad battery and a craftsman with a lithium ion? I've heard dewalt is better, but in my price range is the added weight worth it?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

So how big of a crapshoot are used snap-on torque wrenches on ebay? I like the idea of having a tool that I can be confident will last me the rest of my life, but would it be smarter to just save up and buy it new?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Also, can anyone recommend a ~6" bit holder that will work with standard .25" craftsman bits? I've been to every hardware store in a 10 mile radius and can't seem to find anything other than the flexible extensions...

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Coincidentally, I was just ogling this guys setup: http://aviationmechanic.blogspot.com/2012/11/tool-box-shadowing.html

Someday when I have money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I just bought a CDI 1/2" primarily for wheel lugs, but it goes as low as 20 ft/lbs so it should be useful for other things as well, if it a bit large. CDI was pretty universally recommended around the web, and I guess they are owned by Snap-On now? Either way, I wanted to get something that would last a good long time instead of going cheap, but we'll see...