Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Before I buy http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-...jack-68048.html and a set of stands there tomorrow, for what is pictured to be and reviewed as a solid floor jack for $80 I shouldn't be too concerned about it being useless in six months should I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

Before I buy http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-...jack-68048.html and a set of stands there tomorrow, for what is pictured to be and reviewed as a solid floor jack for $80 I shouldn't be too concerned about it being useless in six months should I?
Figured I'd follow this up and say this jack seems as good as my uncle's Craftsman that's just as big with the same lifting capacity. Works really good, very smooth and the $20 jack stand pair I got with it feel solid enough too.

Lifted up the entire side of my TL in a few pumps and the long handle also came in handy fitting over my tire iron giving me some leverage with some rusted lugs.

Now that I'm moving out on my own I've wasted time at work and found no less than 36 items at HF that I want to have

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Are the jack and stands online only or is the same price in-store?
They were the same price in-store and looks like they're still on sale.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Over the course of several days at work I've read through the entire thread, but can't recall anyone commenting on these sets:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...-set-66087.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...-set-66286.html

Reviews seem decent on their site and I was looking to pick some up as my first ratcheting wrenches.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Nice box. I want to get the big red HF set for a fraction of the price, even though it's more storage than I'd ever need for the tools that I have.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Wild Bill posted:

HF just mailed out a 25% off one item coupon for 1/1/12, and the taller jack is down from $120 to $70, so I might have to do that, although as a big guy, the extra lift with the steel jack would be nice.
My store has a bunch of signs up stating no additional coupons on jacks and storage chests/cabinets.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Can someone explain what the difference is between a 1/4" impact driver and a 3/8" drill?

I've used drills for years for driving screws, and well, drilling, but I've only ever seen an impact driver used for high torque applications and having never used one, can't see what a 1/4" one would do that a drill couldn't.

Specifically these two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...iver-68126.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...iver-68568.html

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

An impact driver like that would still sink big screws into things easier than a normal drill driver, but you lose the adjustability in speed and the ability to drill holes in things. I think unless you're a professional framer or something a drill driver is more useful. If you need the extra juice get a hammer drill driver.

Impact drivers aren't really impact wrenches, either. If you're looking to get something to get bolts off get a legit impact wrench - and you can always throw a 1/2" to hex adapter on the wrench if you're in a pinch.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Harbor Freight has a model that they usually sell for 25. I've had a few 12V pumps and this one pumps as fast as just about any. Gauge is accurate enough.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Assuming it's the same nationwide, it's $30 to sign up, and $10 gift card in return.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I've the 3 ton non-low profile and got nothing but great things to say about it. The handle also has been used to break loose some rusty lugs that I've had as well.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I've never seen them used, I don't think my dad ever had a set, and therefore have no idea how or why you would use those.

e: makes perfect sense looking at it that way, thanks

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 7, 2012

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Rabble posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I'll take the stands back and keep the jack for if I ever want to change the tires.
You'll want to keep the stands to actually put the car on rather than using the jack as a stand, though 4 ton stands for a Mustang are overkill, and you'd be fine with some HF 3-ton for half that price.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

The Third Man posted:

Is there a generic AI recommendation for a good torque wrench? I'm going to be picking picking up the HF aluminum racing jack and I figured I might as well bundle some other poo poo together that I've been wanting to pick up.
The HF wrenches can be had with coupons as low as $10, and someone here at some point checked one against either a beam-style or a more expensive clicker and they were spot on.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

For the earlier discussion about drills, for basic use around the house this is what I've been using since buying my new place:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...iver-69360.html

$32 (after 20% coupon) and it's done just fine for me over the past couple months. It's driven plenty of screws and drilled some holes here and there and still on its first charge. You can also order additional batteries too, unlike some of their models.

e: Certainly not against a nice drill though. My dad had an 18 or a 19.2 (can't remember which) Milwaukee which was great to use, but I actually like the HF drill for most uses more since it's so much smaller and lighter to carry around.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Sockington posted:

Euro designed cars have weird sizes. 16mm and 18mm were somewhat common on the first gen Focus.

I like the Japanese autos that are almost completely disassembled with 8mm/10mm/12mm/14mm/17mm/19mm
Your autos are almost completely disassembled with rust.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Geoj posted:

Maybe I'm spoiled but the gas station I frequent (Sheetz) has one of these:

Set the pressure and fill your tire, it pumps air until the selected pressure is reached and then shuts off and beeps at you. That thing seems like more of a solution in search of a problem, I can't really think of a situation where you'd save time pumping air after hooking up the lines to both tires.

The Sheetz pumps are the best pumps, especially when the other stations around charge for air.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

It's not automotive, but I've some wood that I need to split and/or cut up smaller for firepit usage.

Debating between swinging away at it with an axe:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ndle-98096.html

or if I should go buy a reciprocating saw and a big gently caress off wood cutting blade:
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp-...-saw-69066.html

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Lord Gaga posted:

You know when something so obvious hits you you feel super stupid for not realizing it before?

Want a HF 20% Coupon to print out

Google Habor freight 20% coupon
Click Images
Click Search Tools
Set date as in the last 2 months
Print coupon

Couldnt imagine a faster way of finding them
Open any car related magazine, any Sunday paper ads, or your local HF register trash can.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Here's what I would do by hitting up the nearest Harbor Freight tools:

I agree with all of these (and have the same items) with the exception of that jack. It's a very compact jack, and I personally prefer something with a larger footprint. I have the 3 ton steel unit linked below, and I don't mind it being over twice the weight of the aluminum ones since it never leaves my garage floor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-...duty-69227.html

They also do have a cheaper set of the plastic covered impact sockets, but it's a smaller set than the one you linked.

The torque wrench is fine, I've confirmed mine is accurate alongside a 3/4" drive wrench, the stands are solid, and that same breaker bar has broken loose very rusty lugs/nuts and a spindle nut without complaint.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Raluek posted:

Looks like HF has a great deal on their clicker torque wrench. $10 with coupon. And a bunch of other stuff. I'll be sure to swing by there before the sale ends on Thursday. Hopefully they still have some in stock.
http://www.harborfreight.com/oct-tab1.html
I've been working part-time at HF; they should always have those on hand.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

blk posted:

Anybody know how often the HF racing jacks go on sale? They have the 1.5 ton on now, but I'd like something with bigger capacity.
I'm assuming you mean the aluminum ones. Aside from the compact 1.5 ton coupons, occasionally the larger frame 1.5 will be 89 but item specific coupons for the 2 or 3 ton are very few and far between from what I've seen.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Had no idea that such a large international corporation like Unilever ran Turkey Hill, but when they put their ice cream on 2/$5 I always walk down to the nearest one and grab a couple.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

This is what working part time at Harbor Freight will do to you:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

spog posted:

I get how you got the allen keys (pockets), but how did you steal the long ratchets?

Stick them down a pant leg and claim to be very happy at the end of the day?
Wild things happen when you have a carefree disgruntled assistant manager.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

I notice that these are pretty much only the lifetime warranty hand tools. Go fig.
I have their "professional" blue jigsaw, magnesium circular saw, 12V Li drill, 9A reciprocating saw, "pro" blue oscillating multi-tool, 10" sliding miter, and the small 5-speed drill press. I don't use any of them frequently (except the drill which has been unbelievably superb for <$40) but nothing from that place has really let me down except for one of the hand-hammer impact drivers that fell apart. But, that was probably a lost cause trying to unscrew rusted up Honda rotor set screws that I had to drill out anyway.

I don't do any professional work and just basic stuff around the house, so for my very very light wood working and occasional car repair, the HF stuff has suited me just fine.

No complains either about the 3-ton steel jack, the 3-ton steel stands, 25" breaker bar (which had no issues with a 36mm axle nut).

Their power tool accessories (bits, blades, etc) even I'll admit are largely junk, but I have a few sets of Milwaukee, Bosch, and DeWalt bits and blades that cover me fine in those regards.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I've put in some use with these, and the reviews are favorable:

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-pie...-set-36891.html

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

two forty posted:

I want a set of British Standard Whitworth wrenches (spanners?) to use on my old English bicycles. On ebay it seems like the best I can do is $40-45 for a set of eight which seems somewhat unreasonable to me. They won't be seeing heavy use or anything, but I hate beating up the nuts with an adjustable. The fasteners on these Raleighs are as hell, with Whitworth heads and a non-standard 26tpi so I can't just replace them with modern hardware and need to preserve them. Surely there's a factory in China churning these wrenches out for cheap, right? Or do I just pay the premium for tools for an obsolete specialty fastener gauge with negligible demand?

(One of the better brands is made in England and called King Dick which amuses me greatly but a waste of money for my purposes.)

Basically, WTB: cheap Whitworth wrenches. Any ideas?
How well would spline wrenches/spanners/sockets work?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I've got snap-on for 1/4 and 3/8, so I'm not too worried about those. My 1/2" is this Craftsman, so I guess that's the next one I need to update. Extensions I have a variety of Pittsburgh (wobble) and Craftsman (non-wobble).

My Jeep is oddly rusty given it's supposedly an AZ car, but it's largely stuff we've worked through by now, in doing maintenance and upgrades. Not TOO worried about that.

So basically, get a better 1/2" ratchet, and don't worry too much about the socket brands?
Being at HF part-time I've seen a lot of the wobble extensions break. I can't tell if that's from them being cheap (likely) or just from another one of the mindless camo Carhartt goons (er, customers) putting way too much torque behind a 1/4" or 3/8" wobble extension.

On the other hand, very few of the actual sockets I see come back broken.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I love Pozidrive. It's like Phillips, that actually works.

My favorite screw (not automotive related though) are those ones that use the Phillips/square drive combo bit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phillips...1vZbqprZ1z10ytg

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

The ratcheting crimper is not a bad unit, though it seems like yours certainly is. I'd take it back for a swap rather than tossing it.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I've had that same one for a few years. Yeah it's not as quick as ones that cost twice as much and the gauge has always been 3-4 PSI higher than what is actually in the tire, but it's been consistent and I put mine through a lot of use frequently when I had a tire leak 10-15 PSI a week for way longer than I'd like to admit before getting it fixed properly.

Just turn it on before putting on the chuck or you'll blow the fuse.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So do Rhino ramps suck or something? There's a whole bunch of reports of them cracking and failing on Amazon reviews, should I get the stronger ones? I've been wanting them to ease oil changes and they would've been fantastic during the exhaust installation.

Comedy option?
http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...-set-68365.html

Those HF ramps aren't really a comedy option; they're not a house brand and are actually US made.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Head design and handle length for the differences between engineer and drilling hammers. Engineer hammers resemble small sledges due to the head design and the longer handle.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Uthor posted:

Is a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer for knocking things loose (like a stuck brake rotor)?
Difference between a rubber mallet and a dead blow is that a dead blow gives you, well, a dead blow. It won't bounce or jump back with recoil after hitting something because it's not a solid head in the way a mallet is.

For knocking a brake rotor loose, probably won't matter between the two.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

From that same page there's this 300-piece set which looks clearance down to just over $100:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...ollow&cId=PDIO1

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

ExtremeODD posted:

Still better than the bullshit "multifit" sockets that strip everything. Totally going to my local lowes today for that 3/8ths direct drive handle, tossing the bs sockets in the garbage on the way out.
How do they strip everything when they're advertised to work on partially stripped heads?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I don't believe all advertisements, but I had not used any spline sockets before and so wasn't personally aware of how good or bad they are

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

Does Harbor Freight replace broken vises the way they do hand tools? I'm not planning on becoming a blacksmith, I just want to be able to stop securing things with a C-clamp.
No, they're not lifetime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

HF flare wrenches are utter trash too
I spent two years part-time at an HF and the flare nut wrenches were the most returned hand tool for being broken by far. I think the only thing that came close were those wobbly socket extensions.