Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Can anyone recommend a good starter set of ratchet/sockets for just general maintenance of a Ford. I was thinking about something like This but I don't really think I'll need the metric working on an american car (haha that's probably wishful thinking).

Anyway I'd like a good set with some deep sockets and at least a 6" extension to get into deep spots. Also, why do all of these kits come with the same socket in different ratchet sizes? 1/4, 1/2, and 3/8, is it mainly just for leverage situations or is it so they can bulk up their part count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

chem42 posted:

A kit like that would be a good start. The 3 different socket wrench sizes have same overlap, but each can have advantages in certain situations. I probably use my 3/8" 75% of the time. You wouldn't want to use a big heavy 1/2" ratchet to remove some tiny bolt with a million threads in a cramped locations, and you wouldn't want to use a little 1/4" ratchet to put 200lb/ft on a rusty suspension bolt.

And American cars do use a lot of metric. When I'm king everything will be 100% metric so you'd better get used to it now.

Good to know, maybe I'll pick one up next time I get a 20% sears coupon.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Ok so I had a $60 part that I wanted to install on the underside of my mustang, this was as good of an excuse as any for a trip to sears for some goddamn overpriced tools.

Socket Set
Low Profile Jack Might need to get a different one that goes up higher, we will see...
Jack Stands

I guess I made out ok for someone who will probably only ever change the oil. I've needed a socket set for a while just for basic home maintenance and the jack/stands weren't that much more. The only problem is that when i jack up one side of the mustang the whole car comes up (front and back wheels), I wasn't comfortable with this so I never made it high enough to put the jack stands in (my part remains uninstalled). Is it ok if the whole side of the car comes up, I know the rear tire will come back down when I jack the other side up.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I'll take the stands back and keep the jack for if I ever want to change the tires.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well since I didnt have the nerve to even get the car high enough to reach the bottom point of the stands I figured there wasn't much reason to keep them. But, I'll take the advice and keep them even though I can't see a reason to right now. What's the rule? No matter how many tools you have, you're always missing the one you need.

And I'd never ever get under a car supported only by jacks.

I'm going to stick to oil changes with ramps until the warranty runs out. I've got thousands of miles to go before I'll need to worry about brakes and other bits (I hope).