Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

RandomG posted:

Finally chose to get an expensive tiny crowbar:

http://www.e30m3performance.com/mai...pegs/pict01.jpg

I ignored step one of the valve adjustment procedure which is make sure the car is cold, I dealt with the slight pain of heat as I took off the valve cover, only to realize I couldn't get the shims out with the tools that were supposed to work... I think you're suppose to have the car cool off so everything contracts a little bit.

Um. On many motors (all?) that you need to adjust the valves on it makes a HUGE difference. If you set the clearances to a COLD setting when the motor was at operating temperature, they are going to be LOOOOSE. Although, worse - if you set to a COLD setting when the engine is even a little warm - they will be too tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!

GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo.

So I am an idiot and sometimes leave my tools (Basically a complete metric and std set of Craftsman, with some HF stuff, screwdrivers, multimeter, various vice-grips, etc.) in my truck, locked with a bike lock.

There has never been a problem before, I live in a nice area. Today I drove to work and.... Not in the bed.

So, I just got ganked. $300 worth of tools, probably. God Damnit. It may not seem like a lot of money but it was literally every single tool I own. I make my money during the summer with these tools and I can't afford to go out and replace them all. I don't know what I am going to do. I'm in the middle of the project that I have to get finished before I move, I have work that I have to get done at work THIS WEEK. I was hoping to work more the week after next to make money to get me through to my first real teaching paycheck. gently caress gently caress gently caress. I swear to christ if I find the person who stole them I will loving kill them with my bare hands.

Not really, I have a screw/nut driver (WITHOUT THE BITS), a drill, and an impact screwdriver at work still. All of those are cheap though.

Needless to say, I am about to go out to price a full mechanic's tool set that has everything I lost (I think a set is going to be the cheapest way to go). I'm hearing a lot of bad stuff about Craftsman quality and warranty going downhill. I've heard good things about Kobalt from Lowes. GAHHHH. I'm trying to calculate what I'm going to get paid tomorrow and maybe my boss will advance me my paycheck (cash) today so I can go buy some tools.

I will NEVER have my tools stolen again, I will tell you that. From now on they will be kept in a big roll-away style cabinet either locked in my apartment or in a locked garage.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Check craigslist and start trolling garage sales. You can find complete or mostly complete tool sets for much cheaper than buying new. Bonus points if you can find old(pre-90s) craftsman, snap-on, mac, etc.

Yeah. I am going to check Craigs. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to "shop", I kinda need tools.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Alright, so I am going to need to buy a jack. It needs to be relatively small, able to fit under a pretty low car, and able to lift high enough to fit some pretty beefy jack stands (6Ton) under it. The car is an Audi 4000CS, so, not a very heavy vehicle (2824lbs with 18.5 gal of gasoline, all other fluid full and a 165lb driver). I don't want to spend a whole lot.

I'm guessing we're talking about a HF Racing jack, yeah?

WHICH ONE THOUGH? I know the 3000lb will be good enough no problem (you don't lift the whole car+driver at once, but I could if I wanted to). They have Rapid Pump, ones with LEDs, some that are seemingly identical, all of the prices are different. Does anyone have a current part number for the good one(s)?

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

So, I still haven't replaced my tools that were stolen. I was trying to decide between buying a ~$200-300 set (which will cover a lot of the stuff that was stolen, the rest I can accumulate as I need it (much of it was WWII Jeep specific, so now that I'm a teacher with a Saab that time might not ever come...)) from Kobalt (Lowes) or Craftsman. Most of the stuff that was stolen was Craftsman. I know their quality has gone down a bit and their policies are no longer as cool as they used to be. I've decided on possibly a third option though:

Use Ebay to buy real professional grade tools for some stuff and supplement with Harbor Freight stuff for things that I rarely use/aren't all that breakable.

So things like:

-Ratchets
-Torque Wrenches
-Drivers
-Some sockets
-Locking pliers

Things like combination wrenches, a lot of the sockets (I'd probably get the good stuff in 3/8s and use HF stuff until it breaks for 1/4 and 1/2 drive), etc would come from HF, at least until I find that it sucks and I'm using it a lot.

This will also allow me to focus on Metric stuff as I have a small selection of std tools that were given to me by a coworker after the theft.

Or should I buy a Craftsman set?
Or should I buy a Koblat set?

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Contraband posted:

I'm not arguing with what you're saying, but how do you even know that the HF torque wrench is torquing to what it is set to?

How do you know with any torque wrench?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

EnergizerFellow posted:

Quality torque wrenches will have serial numbers and a NIST certification certificate.

HF tools come with a certificate as well. That doesn't mean they are accurate when you are using them. It just means they were at the factory. Same with a pricey wrench.