Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

What's a good place to find decent stubby allen sockets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Not a terrible idea but aren't those allen keys made out of hardened steel or something? Also where the hell can you even find a large allen key (17+mm)?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wav3form posted:

Get the Harbor Freight. I have this one and it's very well made and gets the job done. Then again I don't race in the desert.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=40105

The handle hex end is rounding off on mine. It barely rotates left and right now on the jack.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I'm probably going to be picking up an electric impact wrench this weekend. Is the $50 harbor freight one w/ 230 lb/ft a good one?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ended up buying the $50 one. Says 230 ft/lb. I hope so.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Splizwarf posted:

You're talking about the corded one, right? I have it, it rules. Bought it to replace my exhaust and it's paid for itself a hundred times. The tradeoff is it's huge.

Yeah the red and silver one.

I'm taking it back. This thing blows. It couldn't even break loose lug nuts that I had personally tightened with a star bar. I used it to crank the lugs back on and then busted out the torque wrench, and I was still getting rotation at 75 lb/ft.

Oh and you guys weren't kidding about the noise. You seriously risk hearing damage just using it outside in a driveway.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wav3form posted:

Mine rips off lug nuts no problem. Maybe you got a dud?

I dunno, seems like it. I think I'm going to return it and invest in a slightly better one that will last me a while. Someone want to recommend a preferred electric impact? I'm thinking I want a minimum of 300 lb/ft.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I think I might buy that.

EDIT: Blegh. It has pretty subpar reviews on Amazon. Also it doesn't appear to come with a case or have a speed/torque adjustment. I at least want like 1-5 or something.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 18, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I dunno. I actually used it a little bit this morning and it seemed to be torquing more, maybe it just needed to break in. I returned it anyways because I want something with more features. I want a carrying case and adjustable torque output. Also something that locks the sockets in is important.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

edit: scratch that. Look at this impact wrench:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-907...16556191&sr=1-2

I think this is the one. Any opinions?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 20, 2011

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

What's the situation with aftermarket or 2x batteries for power tool kits? Are they worth the extra cash?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rhyno posted:

I bought my obviously stolen sawzall out of the back of a van from a craigslist ad. I forget what I paid but it retailed for $300, I know I paid less than $50 for it.

Congrats! Receiving stolen goods is a crime. And you just admitted to it in a recorded medium. Your parents must be proud.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CornHolio posted:

I think there is a legal difference between thinking "this item is cheap and the seller seems shady, I wouldn't be surprised if this was stolen" and "this guy just told me it's stolen."

Depends on the state.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

We're getting off toolchat pretty far, but manufacturers could encode the VIN on some ROM inside the radio and probably stop OEM theft overnight. I don't think OEM radios are stolen very often though...

Re: tools. I just got the green cordless Ryobi 200ft/lb impact. I'm thinking on going and swapping it for the plug-in Crafstman 350ft/lb impact at Sears. I'm worried the 200ft/lb won't be adequate in the long run, plus dealing with battery life, age, etc.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

EDIT: nm.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

This setup kicks rear end

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

200ft/lb

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

revmoo posted:

This setup kicks rear end

UPDATE: I've worked on three cars with it so far and still loving it. There are occasionally bolts it can't break loose and I have to fetch the breaker bar, but for 99% of the bolts on a car it works a treat. I did 6 wheels, and 20-30 bolts with it and the big battery (not shown) still had half a charge or so according to the fuel gauge. What's kind of odd is that sometimes it can tighten a bolt that it can't remove. Great impact wrench though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Definitely go for more lift. I find myself constantly regretting getting the aluminum racing jack from HF. Just last week I had to stack it on four paving stones to get enough lift do a motor mount job.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Plus an impact driver is less likely to try to rip your hand off or strip the head of a screw.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Couldn't find something that would fit in your purse?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

drat that thing is nice. Good price too for what you get.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

That security bit set is awesome. I was just there today and I would have bought it if I'd seen it. I had that impact and returned it because it was kind of weak. I will say though, after I decided to return it, it seemed to break in a bit more and work a little better.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I have that HF 3-piece set. A tip: wrap the u-joint in tape to limit it's floppiness.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Splizwarf posted:

That has a lifetime warranty if you want another, just sayin'.

poo poo I didn't know that. I've been using a 10mm socket + extension to lock/unlock for like a year and a half now since the drat handle end rounded off.

EDIT: Ask me about crawling under the car and twisting left to let the car slowly drop back to the floor.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I've been using a $12 Radio Shack multimeter for years. It even does audio resistance checking. My favorite part is that it's got an analog needle on it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ok, my HF racing jack is now in the dumpster. What is a decent jack that will last me more than a year? My main complaint with the HF jack was the low height (and crap construction).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Arcan? I really really want it.

EDIT: I actually would have bought it like 2 hours ago but shipping was 80 bucks and Prime wouldn't cover it.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 3, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Just bought the HF 4ton 100lb jack. Fucker is a BEAST

It looks identical to the Arcan 35xl, I think it's probably the same jack from a Chinese supplier.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Definitely bullshit. I tested mine today and it was 8 with no load.

But....the jack is loving amazing. I feel like it will last me the rest of my life. It's a monster, but so handy. I can actually jack up my E36 from the diff without rolling onto blocks first.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

For real

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...=2&blockType=G2

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Milwaukee has a similar model for a similar price, I'd get that instead. I've used do drill sheet metal and it worked great. I have a magnum now, that thing is a beast.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Been using the 4-ton version of that jack and it is amazing. It's not portable in the slightest but other than that it is seriously fun to use. Solid, solid piece.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Good for o2 sensors.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

You guys are funny. I used sandpaper on my VC and it's been leak free for years. Nice shiny mating surface too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Third Man posted:

Ok, thanks for the advice. Would something like this be a good investment? http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19.2...=1&blockType=G1

For those more knowledgeable than I, is there specific voltage/power level I should be looking at?

No do not get that. That 1/4" impact is only really good for driving bolts into wood around the house. It's probably good at that but it's useless on the car.

Pick a top-tier brand and stick with it. Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Ryobi, etc. Buy a charger/batteries as a separate investment. I own two Lithium batteries and a charger that cost me like $160 or so plus 10-12 tools (Ryobi). Get any drill from one of these brands and get their uprated 1/2" impact. Make sure whatever brand you get supports lithium batteries.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

mod sassinator posted:

Sears has their Craftsman bottle cap wrench for $5: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...30x000545&aff=Y

This is a seriously awesome bottle opener that has a nice heft to it and great lever action.

Sweet I was admiring this the other day in-store. Just bought it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

If it's an E36 believe it or not the body color is underneath that rubber poo poo. I've heard of people rubbing the coating off and then polishing the color back without a paint but I think you'd need to be a ninja to pull it off.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Hahah. I think we're all guilty of that at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Chiming in to say that I love my 100 pound HF full-size steel jack. Best tool purchase ever. It's portable enough if you eat your wheaties.