Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I missed a tool thread?

Unfortunately, I have very little space in which to store tools, so I only buy what I need when I need it. I don't even have a jack at my apartment.

I need to get my chain adjusted on my bike really soon, I just bought a 1/2 in. socket set from Harbor Freight to get the axle off. It'll be good enough for what I need to use it for. The socket feels/sounds really cheap and the breaker bar is only 14 inches long, but I have a 2 foot one in my car for taking the wheels off, so that's okay. As long as the 27 mm socket doesn't break, I'll consider it a success.

I also got their 1/4 in. clicker torque wrench for small torque applications. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

I picked up a $2 plastic caliper from there. It's gonna be crap, but I have no need for precision. I just wanted something to get quick/rough measurements of diameters and such.

The HF racing jacks in the first post sound great. My dad has a cheap ($16) generic jack from the auto parts store. It get really difficult to lift the car up high enough to get jack stands underneath. The creaking noises it makes make you cringe with fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I just picked up the Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack from the OP on sale again for $80. I'm really, really excited to use it this weekend. Is that weird?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

I recently picked up the slightly more expensive "quick pump" version (I mentioned in a previous post I had a coupon), I jacked up one side of my car just for the hell of it. It was really nice .

I was looking at it, but I'm going to use it so infrequently, that it's not really worth the cost.

I did think about jacking up the car in the parking lot, but then I'd have to unpack it and it'd just cause more trouble when I have to pack the car for my drive this weekend.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I only buy Craftsman stuff if it's on sale for a decent price. Stuff like screwdrivers and wrenches aren't going to break enough to justify spending more for the warranty to me.

I haven't used anything nicer than Craftsman, but I can't stand cheap screwdrivers. Everything I've owned except for the Craftsman ones has either stripped the tip of the screwdriver or failed to grip the screw properly.

I got a set of 8 Craftsman screwdrivers for like $15, which I feel is a solid investment.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My dad picked up a 6 gallon DeWalt compressor (I can't to find it online) for some reason. I mean, he doesn't have a need for one other than filling tires, but whatever. I think it's 1.5 hp.

Anyway, is that big enough for anything useful? I'm pretty sure it's good enough to run a nailer or a stapler. I'm assuming grinders and such are out of the question. Would it be able to handle an impact wrench? It'd be nice to get a cheap one for at least removing lug nuts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

I am going to post up a big review of a bunch of HF tools after xmas but I am sorta curious, would anyone be interested if I started a tool deal watching thread in coupons? I tend to watch sales pretty closely and would add some instructions for how patient people can find great deals on stuff.

That'd be sweet. Post a link here or I'll never find the thread.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

I want to organize all my nuts and bolts, right now I have a bunch just sorta thrown in with everything else. Mostly old metric bolts from my 4.6 and previous 302s but some SAE stuff as well.

I'm totally getting something like this once I get enough stuff to warrant the cost and space:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=94375

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

daslog posted:

What do you plan to work on?

I was going to ask this. I have a German car and a Japanese bike. I never touch my SAE stuff, just the metric stuff. Also, having a VW, I will eventually need some triple-square bits to get at the suspension.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Squishy Buddha posted:

Word of warning, though, it all comes in this pretty nice carrying case, but when the fittings on installed on the tools, they don't fit in there anymore.

Weird, it looks like there are slots cut out specifically for the fittings behind each tool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a portable holder/organizer for screwdrivers or nutdrivers? My dad has all of his mixed togther in a box and it's a PITA to find the correct one. It's not a big problem, so I'd only be willing to drop $5 or so to fix it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 20, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I figured you guys would like this guy's tool cart setup:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380892

EDIT:
And I found the perfect hammer:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Pro-tip: In a pinch, you can buy quality tools at the Sports Authority!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 22, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

oxbrain posted:

The problem with those sets is they include a lot of duplicate sockets and the quality is always rock bottom to keep costs down. That set has 12 sockets to fit a 7/16" bolt.

One thing that annoys me with these sets is that they throw in tons of Allen wrenches and screwdriver bits to up the count.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Phone posted:

There's a Craftsman jack, jackstands, and roller dolly on your back thing on sale for 100 bucks. Is it poo poo?
Depends on the jack. The cheap ones suck.

Phone posted:

On the subject of jacks, I need one; gently caress the Miata's spare scissor jack. The big orange HF one doesn't exactly fit underneath my car, is the blue RACING one any good? Better than the Craftsman?

The blue racing jack is pretty nice. I know I've enjoyed using mine much more than the cheap Craftsman jack I have. See the OP.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, that looks a lot like the crappy one I've got. Go with the HF one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

The coupon fine print says it can't be duplicated or printed, do you know where you can get the real flyer?

Modified has one inside this month's issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fuzz1111 posted:

This was posted some time ago but no-one seems to have given an easy solution - when I did this on an aussie-spec R31 Skyline I found the winder to the scissor jack the car comes with (the style that ends in a T on the side that goes in that jack) fit perfectly into the notches on either side of the piston, and actually made the rears on that car the easiest brake pad change I've ever done. outside edge), and the reason why the handbrake never really worked that well.

I plan on getting a set like this when I need to do my brakes:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...d_Tools/ES9747/
I think you can borrow these sets from auto parts stores if you need 'em.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

We were thinking about getting my dad a wet/dry vac for Christmas (we never know what to get him). K-Mart has this one on sale for $45 (Craftsman 12-gal 5.0 peak hp), which I think would be good enough for what he'd use it for (vacuuming around the garage, sucking water out of the fish tank, helping keep the water at bay next time it rains hard and the basement begins to flood). Thoughts?

Home Depot has a Rigid and Lowes has a Shop-Vac with the same specs for $80.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Christmas tool question edition:
Is there an easy way of checking which bulb is burned out in a string of lights? I just went through them one by one, which sucked and it's more worth my time to just buy a new strand. At this point, though, there's like 8-10 mostly good strands in the house that just need that one bulb tracked down and replaced.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

helno posted:

If you have a multi-meter it is easy.

Set the meter to check for resistance.

Remove a bulb from the middle of the string and check for resistance from the contact in the socket to one end of the string and then the other. One will have resistance and the other will be open circuit. The open circuit has the burned out bulb. Now do the same check by dividing the bad half in half again. Keep doing this until you have it narrowed down to three or four bulbs and then just start checking the individual bulbs.

That's only marginally easier than swapping in known good bulbs and only because pulling out bulbs is hell on the fingers. Does this method even work for the kind of lights I have (A couple burned out bulbs and the string still lights. Five or more burned out bulbs on a half, and only that half the string stops lighting. Pull out a bulb and only half the strand goes dark.)?

grover posted:

Fortunately, christmas lights have progressed from component level maintenance in the 60s, to assembly-level maintenance today. If one bulb in a string burns out, you buy a new one (by which I mean a new string) for $2 and move on. Shoot, it's probably easier just to throw out all your old lights and buy new than to try to save them from year to year.

Yeah, I think that's where we're at. Seems like a waste, though. We have some LED lights outside, which I hope will last forever. Couldn't find an LED set that had more than 50 bulbs when we went looking today.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Already been answered, but are they really old lights? I don't think I've seen 2 wire light strands in about 10 years. They're all 3 wire strands I've seen now so they don't have that particular irritating one dead bulb problem.

3 wire. There were at least six dead bulbs on the burnt out side and three or four more on the good half.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sharkytm posted:

McMaster's prices leave a lot to be desired, but their shipping is dirt cheap, fast, and they have EVERYTHING on earth (usually in stock too).

Their prices are great when your mom works there and gets everything at cost! I should really utilize them for tools in addition to random nuts and bolts and parts.

grover posted:

We just unwrapped a brand new 1/2" craftsman ratchet last week, and the loving thing was broken out of the box. I've seen them break before, but never broken out of the box. Their quality control has absolutely gone to poo poo, but they're still priced like it's a premium brand. At least the generics are priced like generics.

That happened with the socket set my dad bought years and years ago. They replaced it right away and haven't had a problem with it since.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Lucky you, my mom's a teacher. So I get education for free, just like everyone else in the US.

McMaster also has a great college scholarship program for children of workers, so I got close to a free education, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

I do almost all autocad as they didnt want to or need to buy me a seat of Inventor >. That aside, I used SolidWorks/CAM works quite a bit in machinist school. I actually just heard of Pro-E last week, you take a class on it in college but im not there yet.
ProE's great. It's like a more powerful version of SolidWorks. There's a lot of options and settings, so it can be daunting, but you can do tons of stuff with it. I'm currently using Unigraphics and I curse at it loudly many times a day. It's like someone with zero CAD experience read a wiki about it and then decided to write a program.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What do you use to strip very small wires? My cheapo wire strippers go down to 22, but I've come across wires smaller than that before. A couple tiny wires on some aux lights I put on my bike for one. Telephone wire, for another. I haven't been able to find something that goes lower than 22 at the big box stores.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Suniikaa posted:

I have a pair of these http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/product/100 that I got from radio shack for cheap, does 30 gauge no problem.

For that price, I'll see if I can't find some at RadioShack when I go in there next week. I don't have an immediate need, but I'll be glad to have 'em when I do.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I bought a big one of those and gave to my dad. I like the concept, but they are awkward to use sometimes. Like if the wire is in a tight space or coming at you at a weird angle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PeaceFrog posted:

Sawzall-ing is an art form.

I did listen to my cousin talk about using a sawzall for making artwork this weekend.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Has anyone ever used a Thru-Ratchet? I was given some crazy Kobalt 110 piece set that goes up to 1.25 inch sockets but I'm not sold on the design. I'm strongly considering returning it and getting something more like a Gear Wrench for even tighter spaces. Thoughts?

I have a small set and it's very specialized for when I use it (on my motorcycle to tighten a jam nut while using a tiny screw driver through the middle to keep the screw from turning). I'd think Gear Wrenches would get more use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm gonna attempt to clean up my rusty exhaust by taking care of the rust, taking off the chrome from the non-rusty parts, and painting the whole thing flat black (which I've wanted to do anyway).

What's the best way of getting the chrome off? I was thinking of hitting it with a wire wheel, using a Dremel for the stubborn parts, and finishing off with some sandpaper to smooth it all down.

I'll have access to a drill and a bench grinder.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have those jack stands (not the pads) and I hate 'em. I, too use the emergency jack points to hold up the car (but I can use the front suspension point once it's up high enough). The cutouts on those jack stands are too deep and I start hitting other parts of my underbody before the seam sits down in the groove.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How do you gently caress up zip ties?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

RealKyleH posted:

HF has socket organizers that I use for like $4. Check earlier posts of mine in this thread about them.

Are you talking about these? I was always worried about holding the sockets in place while carrying a tool box.

Personally, I have a few clip rails from McMaster. Lets me take all my, say, 1/4" drive sockets with me if I don't want to carry the box and the sockets stay where I put them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

So I need to do a compression test on my motorcycle in the near future. Any recommendations on what to buy? I see this at Harbor Freight, but it only comes with 14 mm and 18 mm adapters. I need a 12 mm.

Alternately, is this something I'd be able to rent from an auto parts store?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Autozone rents them but it's a nice tool to own. I think the AZ only has 2 size fittings though, same as the HF one.

I don't think they rent this one out but it has 12mm
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...randName=Actron

$40 ain't bad. I looked at Bike Bandit because I was there for other things and they only had a $100 set, so I was worried it'd be that much.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I read the past few pages, and it seems there's a lot of hate for cheaper compressors, so this might be a bit of a lost cause, but if I wanted to do basic repair work (I'm thinking the clutch on my Miata soon), is there anything sub $200 that'll be portable and useful at all? I'm in an apartment, so I'd have to lug it back upstairs. I get work cycles and all that, and don't mind using it for ten minutes and waiting for the air to build back up, but it sounds like I'd be wasting $200 to get a cheap Harbor Freight 3-5 horse compressor. Am I wrong in this assessment? I can do this poo poo with normal tools, I just feel like I'd have fewer issues with stubborn bolts with access to a compressor and an impact wrench.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Do you want to charge your air compressor and carry it out to your car or run a long extension cord and have it hooked up outside?

My dad has a small, cheap compressor and I don't mind using it. I get enough air to take off a wheel before the pump turns itself on. It's good enough for light work that doesn't require a constant stream of air (impact gun). It is, however, loud and heavy; not something you'd want to be lugging around and using in an apartment building.

A better use of your money would be to get an electric impact wrench. More portable and probably cheaper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ericadia posted:

I have no idea what the current line of Craftsman torque wrenches are like, but a few years ago they had a pretty dogged reputation.

I bought one, used it once or twice, put it back in the box, and found it in a pool of oil the next time I picked it up to use it. Since I don't use it often, it was way out of warranty.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Not on everything and definitely not on torque wrenches.

Yeah, it's like 90 days on torque wrenches.

BigKOfJustice posted:

The worse part was that the plyers had no teeth on them

I'm not sure if they're Craftsman brand, but I have small needle nose pliers from Sears with no teeth that I really like. They are great for grabbing small things without putting grooves into. I used them a lot when working on my desktop computer.

But, yeah, if you're working with big pieces of metal, all you get is slip.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's easier to use them in awkward angles where you can't see the indicator.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Whitey Ford posted:

haha I can barely see or even reach half the bolts on most cars.

This would absolutely kill me having to make sure that each of those washers was positioned correctly while tightening. Especially manifold bolts

What impact does it have on torque values?

You just make sure they're facing the correct way, which doesn't sound too difficult.

The video mentioned torque values having to increase by 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I need to lock up my Dad's tools. I can never find them after he gets done using them...