Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FogHelmut posted:

Does Harbor Freight sell individual sockets? Or where can I get a 1.25" socket as cheaply as possible?

Farm & Fleet does if there's one near by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

After a lot of searching I finally found some triple square (serrated) bits that don't suck.

Are these crap:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Tools/View_All/ES9013/
:?:

I haven't had the need for triple squares yet, but I think I'll need 'em when I get around to doing my brakes (still going strong after 40,000 miles). The ones from ECS tuning are 50% cheaper and have an extra bit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

somewhat of a tool question...any brand recommendations for headlight restoration kits?

Try pissing on them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_WF5Iei_I

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't use my cordless one often (sorry, don't remember the model number), so it always has a dead battery when I pick it up. I need to remember to charge it before I need to use it. And the battery life isn't amazing. Good enough for small jobs, but it drains kinda quickly if you need to use it for more than 10-15 minutes. Still, I bought it because I'm in an apartment and can't get power out to the parking lot where I would use it. I'd rather have a corded one, but a cordless one I can use is preferable over a corded one that I cannot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blocko posted:

All I asked for was a toolbox, and that's what I got. It also came with a bunch of tools.

Happy Christmas!

I'm pretty jealous of this. It's so organized! :fap:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jared592 posted:

Whaa? Who told you they're going to singles? That's nuts if they really are as full socket sets are a pretty important part of a toolbox and having to buy them piecemeal would probably be a lot more expensive.

On the other hand, it's nice when you need just one odd size you don't have. I'd think they'd have both, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

UK goons, looks like tomorrow Aldi will have a special on air compressors and air tools.

Heh, in the US, Aldi is a chain of really, really cheap grocery stores. So cheap that you have to pay for bags at the checkout if you don't bring your own. I can't imagine them selling tools.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

oxbrain posted:

I'm thinking of buying some foam blocks and making cutouts for all my more delicate instruments.

I got some of those, but got super frustrated cutting out the shapes. To be fair, I'm not good with poo poo like that.

Instead, I cut out roughly rectangular shapes and use the foam like trays. That works just fine for me. One thing I'm thinking of doing is gluing the foam down as it sometimes lifts up a bit and things slide underneath.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I should have asked before ripping up a few hundred, but is there a tool made for pulling staples out of a floor? There's got to be an easier way than pliers and brute force.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

One of those things teachers use to remove staples from paper.

You're the second personto suggest this.

That second link looks wicked. My dad had something like in the first link, but couldn't find it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've got a small set (both few pieces and for small sized bolts) like that. It's great for adjusting my valves on the bike as I can put the screwdriver through the socket and tighten the valve down while using the wrench to keep the adjusting nut from turning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What if I run one cord from my house and one from my neighbor and splice them together? :derp:

You cut your power bill in half.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Awesome!

I noticed he had this brake piston tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-97143.html

Seems like it would work fine, right? Nothing too complicated to screw up. I'll eventually need one for my VW, though that's a couple years away based on how much the pads have worn.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

(wtf did Sears buy Ace?)

Not sure, but they had a shitload of Craftsman there last time I went in (about two weeks ago).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Huh, thatwhole article is bitching that the brand is somehow diminished by being sold in other stores. Well, not Craftsman, but Sears. Seems to me that selling tools is good for buisness no matter who you self the tools to.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

Ace always seems to have a better selection of nuts and bolts compared to Lowe Depot.

This and it's around the block from me instead of 3 miles away. Ace first, then Menards or Home Depot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Why don't you buy #2 or #4 and add this for a couple of bucks (quid?)?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-719776-Drive-Spinner-Handle/dp/B000LFVMMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1320077152&sr=1-1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

So my dad has a set of drillbits. The larger bits have grooves cut into the shaft that the drill grips really well. The small bits have round shafts and tend to spin in the chuck (keyless) when the going gets tough. Is there a good set of bits, say 1/2" and smaller, that won't spin? This would be used in wood. I was thinking of getting him some that are attached to hexagonal bases like screwdriver bits, but I'm worried about them breaking at the base.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'll by that the bits could be sharpened, but I honestly think it's the chuck. Haven't had this problem so bad with other drills we've had in the past.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Whenever I use my Dad's pancake compressor, I take the time to purge the system of air when I'm finished. It usually sits unused for months at a time and I figure better safe than sorry. Is this prudent, or just a waste of time, or somehow detrimental? FWIW, the tank never gets above 120 psi.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

grover posted:

I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but I picked up a Knifeless Leatherman Fuse to fly with, and it's worked out great; TSA gives it extra-special scrutiny to make sure it's knifeless, but allows it as a carry-on. I don't need to check a bag just to bring tools with me anymore :)

I should look into one of those. I want to carry a multi-tool in my bag, but I just know I will forget it in there one day and get in trouble/have to throw it out over a tiny little knife.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's an awesome idea. I use a 4x4 block, but without a groove. It doesn't cradle the pinch weld, but it spreads the load out over a longer distance along the weld and keeps it from bending. I'll see if my dad has a piece of 2x4 laying around I can use instead (the extra height from the 4x4 has its own issues, anyway).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

At that point, doesn't portability lose all meaning? Why wouldn't it be better to just build some permanent cabinents?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I wasn't questioning the worth of a good tool box but rather the worth of a tool box that is 12 feet long and weighs a ton (unloaded). I can't even picture how you'd move something like that. Put a hitch on it and tow it behind your truck?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not sure about older Golf's (don't know what you have), but new ones have a lot of "triple square" bolts in them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have this set of precision screw drivers and I hate it.

I can never get a good grip and use enough torque (why are all the tiny screw I encounter stuck?). I find the handles both too small to hold comfortable and too slick to grip. Does anyone (HF, Sears, or Lowes? I'll be near those tomorrow.) make a decent set with bigger handles?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

My only real beef is that they aren't magnetic (and don't magnetize particularly well).

That's not an issue. Chances are, I'm using them on something computer related, anyway.

I try the pliers thing when I get frustrated, but it's kinda hard to hold a component, a screw driver, and pliers at the same time.

The Sears ones seem exactly like what I was thinking of, but I might check out HF first because those are 1/10th the price :D.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I know I'm a little late since you're shopping today, but Lowes has a Kobalt-branded pair of bits-in-the-base fat-handled drives that replaced exactly that lovely set for me. One of them is various Flat and Philips sizes and the other is various Torx (which came in a lot handier than I expected). I hated my set for the same reasons you do and these were perfect.

I've been lazy watching 70's sci-fi movies, so I haven't gone out yet. I'll give Lowes a look, but for some reason, I'm not a fan of using bits vs. individual drivers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, I found these at HF for $2.50 (they had orange ones linked earlier in the ad, but these in the store):

While there:

My friend has a folding utility knife that I've been jealous of and I don't own any locking pliers (not that I can remember ever needing some).

All for less than a precision screwdriver set from Craftsman.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 8, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

penis bandana posted:

Remove the bathroom and just put a urinal on the wall somewhere.

Get one of these to accommodate the ladies, too:
http://www.icanhasinternets.com/2010/05/i-hope-to-god-this-never-catches-on/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Put the big stuff in storage for now before moving out of state, bring the essentials in a small tool box, and get a tool bag for when you actually need to take things out of the apartment so you don't carry everything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a Battery Tender Junior by Deltran for my bike. Works fine and I've never heard complaints from that company. They have larger and more feature filled models if you need something more for your car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Triple square and Torx drivers if you are going to be working on VWs and Audis. I know my GTIs skid plate is held on by Torx and the calipers have a triple square bolt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like having a flashlight in my car, but I don't use them often enough and the batteries are usually dead when I need it. Any recommendations on one I can stick into a 12V socket (have a spare one in the trunk that isn't being used for anything) to keep charged for when I need it? Something like this would be okay if no one makes a bigger one with a cord, I guess.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kastein posted:

this is the one I suggested.

Note the hexagonal ends - it'll lay on the ground or balance across suspension members quite easily. I did an entire front axle/suspension linkage swap on a jeep with one charge, starting after dark.

Thanks. I ended up getting this. It's almost exactly what I want. I wish I could leave it plugged in all the time, but instructions specifically say to unplug after charging. Still, I can always just plug it in if the battery's dead. The reviews mention some of the bulbs burning out quickly, so we'll see about longevity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is the Harbor Freight trim tool set complete garbage or would it get me through one small job?
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

I'm going to be swapping out my radio and need it to remove one or two small pieces. I don't want to spend $15-30 like I've seen on more expensive sets if this will work. I've seen a guide where a credit card was used instead, but I figure a proper tool would give better leverage.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

McMaster has "Citrus Based Degreasers", $5.12/can (if you buy 12), $12.76/32-oz spray bottle, or $37.22/gallon. The website is awful and I can't link directly to the page, but just do a search for degreaser.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Saw this torque wrench on a bicycle repair site and think it's prefect for other uses around the garage.
http://sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Long story short, I need to splice some wires together for an adapter harness for my car's head unit. I am also terrible at soldering. I see McMaster carries "Sure-Connect Sealed Butt Splices", which look to be a butt connector that you crimp on, then heat to simultaneously melt some enclosed solder and melt the heat shrink. Is this something that I would want to use?