Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Sindai posted:

Also there was no Otoyome chapter last month because Mori drew this one shot instead: https://mangadex.org/chapter/810890/1

Mori's detail work is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The Snow Country Hunting Life of the Northern Nobleman and the Raptor Wife has started updating again after 1 chapter in the past 2 years

quote:

A touching story of hunting and romance takes place in the vast expanses of Nature.
Ritzhard governs a wintry territory far to the north. Sieglinde is a soldier with the nickname "Crimson Eagle"
Ritzhardt falls in love at first sight with her, and they begin their life together... for a trial marriage of one year!?

Hunting reindeer, snacking on nuts, making traditional handicrafts...
In their peaceful and modest life in the land of winter, will the couple truly become husband and wife?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I am disappointed Seigland is neither an actual raptor, nor a Harpy. This is good enough to overcome that shortcoming.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I just binged the whole manga, and I really like it. Thanks for posting it!

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

New Vinland Saga.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/869441/1

In which Gudrid feels insecure and we have another setup for testing Thorfinn's beliefs.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

We have gone from full violence to me no violence and now NO ONE does violence.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"I'm not coming if I can't bring my sword."
"That's fine, don't come then."
"But I want to come!"
"Then you can't bring your sword."
"But I wanna bring my sword!"

What exactly is this dude expecting to happen? There is one clear rule. One. It's not like Thorfinn has to accept him no matter what.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 27, 2020

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Well, that is indeed a problem. How do you force other people to accept your 'pacifism / no swords allowed' ? What if some vikings decide to follow them with weapons ?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fukken Longbow hax

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 4, 2020

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Hey, that's, uh. That's a large image you posted there. Mind thumbnailing it?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Fukken Longbow hax

"Then we shall fight in the shade."

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

For anyone who's a fan of Vinland Saga I highly recommend the the Saga Thing podcast. It's a pair of professors of medieval literature going through and rating the various Icelandic Sagas one by one. It's got intrigue, humor, ghost lawsuits, and enough men being split in half by axes to make Thorkell blush.

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

ThingOne posted:

For anyone who's a fan of Vinland Saga I highly recommend the the Saga Thing podcast. It's a pair of professors of medieval literature going through and rating the various Icelandic Sagas one by one. It's got intrigue, humor, ghost lawsuits, and enough men being split in half by axes to make Thorkell blush.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just finished the introductory episode(s) and am already enjoying this a lot. As a Scandinavian I've always had a low-key fascination with Iceland, but my knowledge of its history has been limited at best and I've never known much about its literary tradition beyond the Eddas. This should keep me entertained for a good while.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/title/38821

Follow this manga.

-Obscure Chinese/Indian relation History
-Incredibly good art
-WRITTEN BY TANAKA "LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES AND HEROIC LEGEND OF ARSLAN" YOSHIKI

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Don't gotta tell me twice.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
And translated by Hokuto no Gun? drat, that's some promising series to follow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

-Incredibly good art
It's Itoh Sei, that's all I needed to see. He does great collaborations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yo that dude's on a rhino

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Strong opening to that manga.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Plutonis posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/38821

Follow this manga.

-Obscure Chinese/Indian relation History
-Incredibly good art
-WRITTEN BY TANAKA "LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES AND HEROIC LEGEND OF ARSLAN" YOSHIKI

Is the manga arslan better than the anime arslan cuz that poo poo sucked rear end

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Is the manga arslan better than the anime arslan cuz that poo poo sucked rear end

definitely

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Arslan I feel loses a lot of the appeal the further into the supernatural it leans.

Also wo Historie is finally picking up a thread from... god how long ago would that have been published

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Vinland Saga : No hanky panky allowed

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Jojo gave us the Aztec Gods of Fitness. Otoyomegatari has given us the Tajik Goddesses of fashion

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh poo poo Admiral Yi appears on the new Hyouge Mono. Oribe is hosed.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

So there's a new manga that just got scanlated called Katabami to Ougon and it seems very promising. It's about a starving Irish immigrant girl fleeing the Great Potato Famine with big dreams of getting rich in America:

http://sensescans.com/reader/read/katabami_to_ougon/en/1/1/page/1

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
So it's a tragedy, right?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The forum might be going up in flames but you can always cool off at the beach.*

*beaches may actually be closed or undesireable to visit at this time so exercise due caution.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Given recent events, is there going to be a discord of historical manga as well or at least a compilation of what works to follow up on?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here is an archive of this thread.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This week on Throfinn And Friends: Introductory Lecture on The State Monopoly On Violence and The Social Contract

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i would be be a lot more hopeful for the success of vinland if thorfinn's argument wasn't identical to political commentators right before ww1

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i would be be a lot more hopeful for the success of vinland if thorfinn's argument wasn't identical to political commentators right before ww1

I'd be more hopeful if this wasn't a historical manga based on a famously failed colony.

(Which, to its credit, at least had people survive to go back home, unlike most famous failures.)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd be more hopeful if this wasn't a historical manga based on a famously failed colony.

(Which, to its credit, at least had people survive to go back home, unlike most famous failures.)

sure, but there's some fantasy to this story, so you can always wave that off

when a character is confidently stating that no two countries with a mcdonalds have ever gone to war, that's some foreshadowing in the text

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thorfinn is a rehabilitated knife boy trying to compress an additional millennia of political theory into a handful of years, he's doing his best

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I made the mistake of looking at the comments on mangadex. Don't do that. Why would I ever think to do that.

New chapter was good fun. I wish Thorfinn all the best on his doomed journey.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
There's talk that some of the Green/Vinlanders assimilated with the Natives instead of going back.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when a character is confidently stating that no two countries with a mcdonalds have ever gone to war, that's some foreshadowing in the text

Argentina didn't have a McDonalds?

*checks*

Huh, '86.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

sure, but there's some fantasy to this story, so you can always wave that off

I feel like the fact that the last arc was literally a peaceful trading voyage that was derailed by a civil war among the Danes is somewhat relevant. Though I guess that also goes to show why Thorfinn is trying to get the heck away from Europe entirely instead of just accepting the offer to inherit Iceland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arbite posted:

Argentina didn't have a McDonalds?

*checks*

Huh, '86.

As someone in Argentina who bought some nuggets and fries from McDonalds yesterday, I can confirm that we indeed have McDonalds.

I can't confirm if we had McDonalds that far back though, I wasn't even born back then.