Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The End if Nigh. (imdb link)
Written & Directed by Neil Marshall

It's difficult to really transcribe in mere words the horrors I saw transpire with my very eyes during a sitting of this movie. I walked into the theater expecting pretty much poo poo; I was completely blown away, as the movie was actually far, far worse that I expected! Most people expect Doomsday to be a Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic warzone a la Beyond Thunderdome, but it's. . .well, really not much like that for a majority of the film.

With all this said, however, it's easily one of the most comically bad movies I've seen in a long time, and I really do think it's worth viewing at least once to get it out of your system. I don't want to spoil too much of the film, but there's a lot of really gratuitous violence and everything is a re-hash of something else you've seen before--literally.

The Good: I guess the main character is hot. Unintentionally funny. A Schoolbus with flame throwers and sawblade launchers, with a sign that says "out of loving nowhere" on it
The Bad: Everything else.
The Ugly: Middle Earth out of loving nowhere.

1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Doomsday is for fans of action, horror, zanyness, and the 1980s.

It's a love letter to 70's and 80's classics like Mad Max and Escape From New York. It's pretty reminiscent of Grindhouse: Planet Terror, so if you enjoyed that modern cult classic, you could get some kicks out of this one too.

Rhona Mitra kicks rear end, she's looks good. Bob Hoskins gives the movie heart with his fatherly performance, although he gets less screen time than he deserves. Malcolm McDowell is as entertaining as always, the go to guy for a crazy villain.

How about the mayhem? Yes, this film has it all. Crazy punks, medieval gladiators, and modern futuristic soldiers. It's got tons of inventive kills and bloody gore to spare. There's a car chase with more explosions and splattered bodies than I can recall in movie history.

Oh hell yes.

5/5

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pretty much cribs from every well known apocalyptic/zombie film but in the end I found to be a very entertaining,crazy action movie. Despite being loaded with a campy atmosphere a few scenes like the wrecked cities and initial exploration scenes were pretty creepy and well-done.

Like most action films it will not be winning any awards but at the least you will be entertained and not fall asleep during the film.

Pros
-Pretty good practical special effects,gore and chase scenes.
-entertaining
Cons
-No original ideas/cribs heavily from other films
-So-so acting and only a few characters were even slightly memorable

Most Recent CD thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2781820

Final Score:
3.5/5.0

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I loved it, and had a great time.

Pros:
- Awesomely gratuitous violence and gore
- pretty decent characters, overall
- Tons of cool little "oh poo poo, that's loving awesome" moments
- Gore gore gore gore gore gore gore.

Cons:
- Character death spoiler: I got really pissed when that black dude from Primary Colors - the one who says "No! Damnit!" to that retard asking if he wants "apple fritta?" - died.
- Acting was a little iffy from some characters, but nothing major.
- Silly plot point detail spoiler WE'RE CANNIBALS! LET'S HAVE A ROCK CONCERT/STRIPPER SHOW AND THEN EAT SOME DOUCHE!

My friend summed it up perfectly:

"It is the best stupid action movie ever."

5/5

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 24, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This movie should have been called "The Road Warrior Escapes from New York 28 Days Later". I'd say it's less a homage to the movies above than an obvious ripoff. Entire scenes are essentially lifted from these movies and frankensteined together.

I'm also getting REALLY goddamn bored of the whole "femme fatale" thing.

But since the Road Warrior is such a great movie to rip off, I'll give it a generous 2/5.

Agentfortune
Jan 30, 2007

Now you see it, now you don't...Now you do again.. ha ha!
This movie is a complete ripoff of the films already mentioned above, and the acting is to be frank, rubbish.

However... I still found it strangely enjoyable. I know I should pick holes in a car chase where 30 year old, rusty motorbikes are keeping pace with a Bentley but it was still strangely enjoyable. Like alot of this movie. I should not have enjoyed it for it's obvious flaws, but I did. There were some good action scenes, lots of blood and a few nasty deaths so maybe that helped.

It should'nt get above a 1/5 but..

3/5

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
Ha! This movie was the drizzling shits. I "get" that it was supposed to be an homage or sorts, to movies like Mad Max, but that doesn't make it anything more than a lovely "B" movie. No sense in writing anymore about the movie, as it was all just slapped together nonsense.

1/5.

Coffey fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 22, 2008

HOT BRITISH SEX
Jun 12, 2007

She's just coming, sir.
So...many...plotholes...

For example, how did the top secret spy satelite things not pick up the loving MASSIVE STRIPPER MOTORBIKE RAVES IN THE MIDDLE OF GLASGOW?!?

Terrible film, but you'll laugh at how ridiculous it is. Glasgow is pretty much exactly like that, by the way.

1/5

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Total loving garbage. I watched this last night with my girlfriend (who thought it was excellent) and it was almost painful at times. The main problem for me is that the film didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. If they'd taken one style of film and run with it for 90 minutes it could have been ok, except they didn't and the film ended up a patchwork quilt of crap.

1/5

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Starts out like a perfectly mediocre modern day zombie/epidemic. Then it kinda turned into the Erotic Adventures of Thunderdome.Then there was some King Arthur medievil bull poo poo that seemed out of place, and the whole black knight death match was a bit of a stretch. The Bentley dealer happened to be open, but when they left, Mapquest sent them back through the wasteland, headlong into the DEATH BUS and a post-apocalyptic desert Cannonball Run to rival that in Road Warrior, except instead of a school bus full of sand, it's a freakin' Bentley. Remember the guy in the leather gimp suit that was strapped to the front of the trike with the sidecar in RW? He was in this one too! The Mothership landed and the president was with, he congratulated the hot chick with the robot glass eye, claimed all the glory, and lived happily ever after. The hot chick went back to Thunderdome and I think she's in charge now.

The effects were pretty cool, lots of gore, lots of poo poo blowin up and even some boobies. Bob Hoskins was cool(and the only one I recognized from other work), but he usually is

2/5

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I liked it. Cannibal gutter punks with a leader that looks like Wattie Buchan from The Exploited.
4/5

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Great action movie with plenty of gore. If you liked Mad Max, you will like this. Pointing out plot holes in a movie like this is like complaining that there's holes in swiss cheese. Some great action scenes throughout. Turn off the brain and enjoy.

Pros: Chick is hot
Gore Gore Gore
Mad max style vehicle chase with zany vehicles!
Post-apocalyptic(sorta) cannibals and medieval knights in one movie

Cons: Light on plot (but honestly you should expect it!)

4/5

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another review after watching it again a few months later on DVD

Pros
-Pretty good set design and props. Great emphasis on practical effects
-Good action scenes and tons of Troma-esque shocking moments and deaths
-Pretty decent computer special effects
-The world in the beginning is pretty well-developed and depressing

Cons
-The Jump from Mad Max cannibals to medieval times is really disjointed and out of place
-None of the characters are really interesting or well-developed. Even a mindless action movie can still have interesting characters

Conclusion:
Despite its flaws still a pretty fun post-apocalyptic action movie but don't expect anything original.

3/5.5

DVD Extra Features:
Extremely sparse with just one feature on computer special effects and another feature on the set-design/practical effects.

Could have used more extra making-of features since the movie was able to do pretty well considering the relatively low budget of $30 million USD. Or maybe a feature with concept art from the movie for the set design and props.

Overall the extra features were pretty disappointing especially since the director Niel Marshall probably has a lot of interesting stories to tell about how to make a good looking movie with a lower budget and resources.

2/5.5

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

If you try to take any part of this film seriously, you will not understand any of it. It's pure 80s over the top wacked out cinema.

It's almost a poor man's "Planet Terror", just gore, and crazy people. I mean, come on, the ending? I liked it well enough, and it was far better than 28 Days Lamer, er.. Later by far.

3/5

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
This movie is absolute trash. It is a mishmash of scenes from other, better films, combined with pretentious tripe in that uniquely British vein. The l33t mohawk-sporting villain is the worst offender, as he tries so very hard to be scary and ends up just sucking balls. I tried desperately to watch this gagortion and only regained consciousness for the retarded car chase at the end. Do not support this cinematic diarrhea.

1/5

The Scarlet Hot Dog
Jan 18, 2005

Trust me, everything will be fine.
This is the most unoriginal mashup of movie genres I ever had the chance to watch. Instead of Doomsday they should have called this garbage, "Revenge of Mad Max: The Middle Earth Gladiator Bentley Complex of 28 Days Later." I really would love to hear someone try and point out anything not derived from some other, more successful movie in this film.

Cons:
-The acting
-The writing
-The pacing
-Cinematography
-Absolutely awful soundtrack
-Cannibal rock concert with shite music
-Nonsensical overly drawn out indestructible Bentley chase scene
-The main heroines removable Eyeball camera gimmick, which serves no loving purpose!
-The reuse of music from movies that had done it well, like 28 days later
-Middle earth\Gladiator scenes out of loving nowhere
-Characters that are introduced and never heard from again
-Goatse sized plotholes like you wouldn't believe

Pros:
-The gimp with the bone, possibly the best actor in this movie.

At least its funny, right?

.5/5

The Scarlet Hot Dog fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 13, 2008

Alferd Packer
Sep 17, 2004

Fudge, Packer?
After Marshall's The Descent and Dog Soldiers, this movie was pretty disappointing.

Even though I know it wasn't aiming higher than B-movie status, it still just seemed really lame. It felt like Underworld or Equilibrium to me: visually pretty with a decent premise but badly written and thrown together plotwise.

It was really boring in parts too, which didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.
Watch it without wanting it to be serious, and you'll have a whale of a time. Total over the top Mad McMax style stuff. Saying that, seeing as it's set in Glasgow, I can find the cannibal savages pretty believable.