Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'd heard of PC-BSD, but, never DesktopBSD.
I may have to have a go at that.

I have a spare machine at home (needs a disc though), and I've been wanting to get into a nix for a long long time. I've tried BSD a few times, but once its installed, I've never really know what to do next.

I have a few ideas on things I'd like to do this time, so hopefully, this install will hang around/last longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
For some reason I can't fathom, D-BSD wont install.
It hangs, at 12% or 13% (two separate attempts).

The discs continue to spin (both hdd & DVD), but the mouse is unresponsive, meaning I can't cancel to see if it would give me a message.

PC-BSD and FreeBSD will install. So i'm not sure what the issue is, I reburned the .iso. But, it did the same.
I really wanted the D-BSD since when I'm older and more grown up, I'd like to be able to used FreeBSD proper.

ATM, I'm putting on PC-BSD until I can figure out what the beef is.

The version I was trying was the current DesktopBSD-1.6-i386.iso

I have no idea what I'm doing, I just know I want to do it.

edit: i think its a flaky HDD

url fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 7, 2008

• Locked thread