Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
:frogsiren: KDE 4.1 has been added to ports :frogsiren:

freebsd.kde.org posted:

Recent Updates
[2008-08-09]: KDE 4.1.0 for FreeBSD now available

On behalf of the FreeBSD KDE team, it is my great pleasure to announce that KDE4 has been merged into the FreeBSD ports tree. The official KDE 4.1.0 release notes can be found at http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/ and FreeBSD users should also refer to the KDE 4.1 on FreeBSD notes.

Compiling now... on a P4 (10 hours so far) no errors unless you don't reinstall glib 2.16.5 instead of 2.14.x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

complex posted:

Big updates like that scare me. I usually take a few weeks vacation from portsnap'ing.

But that is just because I'm a big wuss. Kudos to the KDE on FreeBSD team.

Well its a P4, so I don't have that much going on with it. But so far its been smooth sailing.And I can give bug reports if it cocks up since I am really looking forward to 4.1 and its candy coated goodness.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
Does anyone know of a kernel module that will read/mount HFS+? I have a drobo formatted in it and I would like it to mount to my FreeBSD desktop. I looked around and found an old article about it from back around 5.1 but nothing else.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

There's http://www.freshports.org/emulators/hfsutils/, but it doesn't explicitly say HFS+.

yea, saw that too. Whelp I'll give it a shot and report back with... something.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

roadhead posted:

Got myself some wheels!

Installing mencoder - FreeBSD has a high "scrolling text" in response to commands ratio, all I typed was "make" and the bitch has been going crazy for a bit now.

That's why its awesome. press enter and movie style "lots of stuff happening"

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

three posted:

No, it doesn't explain it. That is the dumbest loving excuse ever. His logic is essentially "how can users get root without authorization if su requires them to be in the wheel?!"

Hack the planet! Hack the planet!

No seriously, he is a fat ol' hobbit that needs to die of the diabetus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
I started with FreeBSD without doing much with Linux. Everytime I tried to play with linux (command line up). The documentation was horrid / out of date etc

The FreeBSD handbook was really good, and what it didn't fully explain was really easy to look up. I started from nothing, to having a usable gateway with DHCP, DNS, pf Firewall, and super slim kernel in about 5-6 days . It was a lot of fun for a first project. Now it's my go to for server OSes.

• Locked thread