Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Maggot Monster posted:

I wish Dell provided support for FreeBSD servers as I was only allowed to pick between RHEL and SuSE due to hardware support implications. I loving hate both of them, and I wish I could go back to FreeBSD. :(

It seems to run fine on all their machines that we have at work. The only problems we have seen are with broadcom network chipsets and you can just order intel to solve that. We get our machines without the OS pre-installed.

No idea about running stuff like management tools with linux compatibility layer though as we don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
NetBSD is the one that will run on tons of different hardware, I think its more used for embedded devices and appliances. Probably not as friendly to set up, but very portable.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

unknown posted:

No - I'm looking at imaging a disk, and installing that disk in another physical server. Think of it as doing raid1 across 2 disks, then breaking the raid set and installing 1 of the drives in a different server (and having now both raid sets rebuild back to safety)

I'm just curious if anyone else has done this and what kind of issues that have cropped up.

Never really broke up geom raid sets. Usually our software raid servers are linux. You could use G4U and produce 2 images (one for each hard drive). If the drives aren't filled with data it will only be the size of what is actually on it since the images are compressed.
The other way is to do disk to disk cloning, just clone one at a time. Once you have a clone you can use that on a second machine so you can do two disks at once. G4U doesn't even require the CD to stay in the drive, so once its booted you don't even need multiple CDs. Just take it out and put it in the next machine. See if hot swap works once one is done. If it does then you don't have to even reboot, you just remove disks and put in the next one to be cloned.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If the driver for your wireless is loaded (it might not even be in the kernel if you haven't built a custom one) you can do 'ifconfig -a' and it will list all the devices even if they aren't up.

I've never done wireless on freebsd, but if it works like a normal device then it should be listed in sysinstall too when you configure your network interfaces. I usually use that to add the network info to rc.local when I am doing ethernet configs.

This might be relevant: http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/iwi-freebsd.html

EDIT: But the background says DISCONTINUED. So the page might be outdated.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

minute posted:

Edit: Also, a dumb question, what does it mean for a device to be "up"? Is it not up by default after being loaded?

It essentially means it is enabled. When you run ifconfig without any flags it just shows you devices that are up. It could be up, but not active. Such as with ethernet, where the device can be up but the media (the ethernet cable) isn't active (plugged in and getting a link).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I thought when you pipe ls instead of outputting it to the screen it doesn't need -1.

And you could use wc -l to count the lines, by default it counts words.

From ls man file:
-1 (The numeric digit ``one''.) Force output to be one entry per
line. This is the default when output is not to a terminal.

So if you are piping to another command you don't need the -1 flag.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 13, 2008

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
That one message talks about procfs. I think you might need linprocfs mounted for that to work.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

juggalol posted:

I'm pretty rusty with BSD, but from what I recall, that ought to be set in /etc/rc.conf , and it looks like it's already there:

code:
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
Nothing at all happens. Using putty, choosing telnet, specifying the right hostname/port just sits at a blank screen until it times out (what happens if I try and use the webserver on 8043 as well).

I think you need to set that to the public gateway, the gateway of whatever you need to connect to the outside world. You should try pinging out from the machine too, to a machine like 4.2.2.2 or google.com. Then you can tell if traffic even leaves the box.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

LooseChanj posted:

Yes, I do. And they're retarded as gently caress for it, because like I've said a dozen times what happens when the automagic doesn't work? I'm expected to guess what settings to put in xorg.conf?

And that other stuff didn't work, I end up with the exact same error about VGA2. Is there an X thread somewhere?

If there isn't, someone should create one. Half the drat posts in the Linux thread end up being people who can't get their nvidia card to work or something like that.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

8.0 is hitting the FTP sites today, they should be making an official announcement soon.

Interesting... 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img 996.3M
Never seen that type of image before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The original post said:
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE *** VULNERABLE
FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE *** VULNERABLE
FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE *** NOT VULN
FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE *** NOT VULN

I am assuming 7.2 and 6.4 are at risk as well? If it was an 8.0 only thing it wouldn't be too bad cause none of our customers have upgraded yet.

Any more info/discussion to be linked to?

• Locked thread