Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minute
Jul 31, 2003

I just got a macbook pro, so I decided to put FreeBSD on my old Dell 600m to play around with. Everything's going pretty well so far, except for wireless.

I tried reading the man pages and the FreeBSD handbook, and put the following lines in /boot/loader.conf:

if_ipw_load="YES"
legal.intel_ipw.license_ack=1
wlan_load="YES"
firmware_load="YES"
ipw_bss_load="YES"
ipw_ibss_load="YES"
ipw_monitor_load="YES"

Unfortunately, Dell's BIOS sucks, and I can't verify that I have an ipw wireless card, but I'm pretty sure that's the one.

During boot, there were no messages about ipw. I did a "less /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep ipw" just to make sure.

I ran "ifconfig ipw0 up" and it tells me that the ipw0 interface does not exist.

Any ideas? Is there anyway to verify that loader.conf is actually being loaded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minute
Jul 31, 2003

ifconfig -a doesn't show ipw either, nor is it an option in sysinstall.

After looking at that guide it seems I was trying to load the ipw module when what I actually wanted was the iwi module. Haven't verified that everything works correctly yet, but at least it seems to be loading the module.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, a dumb question, what does it mean for a device to be "up"? Is it not up by default after being loaded?

minute fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 9, 2008

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Okay I added the line

ifconfig_iwi0="ssid klinksys wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey 1:0x<40-bit hex> DHCP"

to my /etc/rc.conf. When I rebooted I got:

DHCPREQUEST on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
No DHCPOFFERS received.

I'm pretty sure the hexkey is right, as I tried it on my macbook, but I'm not sure about the weptxkey. I tried the 104-bit version of the wepkey and it didn't work either.

Am I missing anything?

Edit: drat it I'm so confused. The man pages say that the WEP key is either 5 or 13 characters? The passphrase I chose is neither of these...?

minute fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 9, 2008

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Yep, it's the right device. It's loading correctly, and I can scan for access points just fine. Right now, I'm just confused about WEP keys. Apparently I have to give a 5 byte or 13 byte key, but the one I chose when I set up the router is 10 bytes. I'm not really sure how that's supposed to work.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

edit: nm

minute fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 11, 2008

• Locked thread