Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

Krittick posted:

I run a small web server in my apartment for web development between a few people. It currently runs Ubuntu, but I've been considering switching to FreeBSD. One thing is, I use the computer for other things besides the web server. My video card (Radeon X1300) only works properly in Ubuntu with the fglrx driver, and I'm not sure how well it would work in FreeBSD. I really only need it working so it can support a widescreen resolution. The vesa driver will not support it, from what I've read and experienced. It's pretty much the only thing holding me back from switching.

Anyone know if there's some way to get that specific video card working on FreeBSD?

I ran a few X1300s through the radeonhd driver. I haven't tried widescreen (only dual) and there's no direct rendering, but to be fair, I haven't tried all that hard to get it working. I switched one machine over to the 6.8.0 xf86-video-ati driver that hit ports this month, and it seems to cope a little bit better without DRI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Maggot Monster posted:

I wish Dell provided support for FreeBSD servers as I was only allowed to pick between RHEL and SuSE due to hardware support implications. I loving hate both of them, and I wish I could go back to FreeBSD. :(

We're an all BSD/Dell shop. The only problem is in-OS RAID monitoring and control. With the 9th gens, we're forced to use linux-megacli, which leads to fun layer stuff like:
code:
$ sudo ktrace megacli -AdpAllInfo -aAll 2>&1 > /dev/null
$ sudo kdump |grep -i mount
   lpfs=`mount -t linprocfs | wc -l | awk '{ print $1 }'`
          echo "You need to mount linprocfs to run `basename $0`." >&2
        lsfs=`mount -t linsysfs | wc -l | awk '{ print $1 }'`
           echo "You need to mount linsysfs to run `basename $0`." >&2
 12230 MegaCli  NAMI  "/compat/linux/proc/mounts"
which is great when you've got stale NFS mount points you're trying to update and it spawns eleventy processes that ignore kill -9s until it panics.

whetu posted:

Yup, that's an obvious problem, however Flash-9 on Linux isn't 100% rock solid either...

My solution is to run linux-firefox. Some sites still cause hardlocks, but they're mostly caused by ads. With adblock plus installed, it's completely usable.

CrzyDTpBoy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 17, 2008

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Absorbs Quickly posted:

Dell has a secret team somewhere certifying the FreeBSD 6.X tree for their 2950's so they should continue to be a safe bet for FreeBSD well into the future.

Where did you hear that? I've got 2950s that periodically lock up that we've narrowed down to a chipset difference that Dell refuses to acknowledge because we're running FreeBSD.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

We have lots of Dell 2950's running FreeBSD. Can you be more specific about the problems you're experiencing? What version are you running?

Random loving lockups. Periodically, I/O completely freezes and when something tries to hit the disk, instant panic or fault. It happens on 6.2 and post-6.2 6-STABLE after some promising mfi commits. It's much less frequent since I disabled patrol reads.

no_fuse posted:

My 2950 runs like a top. What chipset difference? I'm about to buy a couple more, I think. I'd like to avoid headaches if possible.

It only happens on the first two 2950s, which predate me. I don't remember the exact chipset (Intel 5xx??) and I hosed syslog-ng and have a nice blank dmesg, but the mobo P/N is 0NH278A03 on those vs. OCU542A00 on the newer, and not hosed, ones.

The controllers are also different, 0R9376A00/0PN610A00 (bad) vs. 0RR901A00/0PN610A01 (good).

This is the most thorough troubleshooting I've ever done. They've replaced everything, but with the same P/N, at our request. Slightly less stable servers can be reduced to lab duty if it means we can trust that the vast majority of our (unsupported) 9th gens are fine.

Absorbs Quickly posted:

Well they only started rather recently, and like I said, you have to be a huge customer for them to even consider supporting freeBSD. I just know that they're doing it for somebody, but I've already said too much.

Yeah, that ain't happening then. We just lie to them most of the time anyway.

quote:

Just stay away from the broadcom nics.

em for life.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Absorbs Quickly posted:

less /var/run/demsg.boot

We're doing something with klog that clears that out if I don't add dmesg to the REQUIRE statement in syslog-ng's rc script.

But I was able to reboot one during our outage window this morning and the two we're having problems with are Intel 5000x based.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

no_fuse posted:

Even my desktop has em0 :c00lbert:

gently caress desktops, my virtual machines have em0:

quote:

2. Don't use lnc

This tip is no longer current, as lnc doesn't exist in FreeBSD 7. It's still valid for FreeBSD 6.2 and earlier versions.

While it's the default, lnc driver is the worst network driver for your virtual machine. It's GIANT-locked (meaning it doesn't allow for much parallelizm in the OS), and it's actually deprecated and will be dropped in FreeBSD 7. The replacement for lnc is le and it's present at least in FreeBSD 6.2 and newer, but it's not included in the default GENERIC kernel. Thus, you'll have to configure and compile a custom kernel with device lnc replaced with device le. (Just loading the if_le kernel module won't work because the lnc driver present in the kernel at boot time will detect and use the hardware first.)

In VMWare ESX 3 and VMWare Server 1.0 there's an undocumented configuration option for the virtual machine that enables VMWare to emulate Intel E1000 hardware instead of the AMD Lance[*]. To use it, edit the .vmx file and put ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000" in the appropriate place (anywhere). The simulated device also has TSO support (which is usable in FreeBSD 7, though I don't know what performance can be achieved with the simulated hardware). Device em is faster and not GIANT-locked so it should give the best performance.

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/vmware.html

It works in 6.3 as well.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

dwarftosser posted:

Hmm.. I've got a pair of 2950s running 6.2 without any lockup or stability issues at all.

And we've got another 20+ with no problems. It's only the oldest two, which were purchased right after the 9th gens were released and have the P/N & chipset differences in my previous post.

So incredibly frustrating...

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Kapser posted:

If any of you happen to be in NYC, or would like to travel, NYCBSDCon will be happening over the weekend of October 11-12, 2008 at Columbia University with a similar format to the 2006 conference.

I actually might be going.

My supervisor did a presentation last year - I'll have to see if he's submitting anything.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

I'm Libertarian u rear end posted:

I think 5.5 is still getting security errata.

5.5, and by extension the whole 5.x branch, is EOLed as of 5/31/08.

quote:

And here's a bonus question from a FreeBSD newbie; does the version of FreeBSD affect what versions of software I get from ports or are they totally separate?

The ports tree is the ports tree, but not all ports necessarily build on all unsupported/older branches.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

If start KDE I can use the desktop config app to reset the resolution to 1600x1280@60hz just fine, but I don't like being chained to KDE and I'd prefer X to just work.

What graphics card do you have? If it's Nvidia, install nvidia-xconfig, run it with sudo, configure the display, then use built-in "write to xorg.conf" function.

If it's not Nvidia do `egrep "EE|WW" /var/log/Xorg.0.log` to look for errors. Alternately, post your xorg.conf and I'll see if anything sticks out.

Wrexsoul posted:

Funny, I've just been setting up a FreeBSD 7 VM template for running some monitoring software and was following some of the tips there. I'd disagree on two points, first the network driver, em0 performance is great, but it creates issues when/if you need to vmotion the box off one server to another.

Remember that the network driver tips on that page refer to avoiding GIANT locked modules, which are finally completely removed in 7.x.

We haven't started using 7 at all, but thanks for those tips, it'll be a helluva shortcut once we finish with our 6.3 rollouts.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Word around the Internet is that FreeBSD's Samba performance is not as good as Linux. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm asking because if there's ever a need to replace my current Linux box, I want to know that FreeBSD can perform just as well, if not better.

What's Linux performance like?

On a (gig) network that looks like this:

code:
traceroute to samba(192.168.1.100), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  ds0 (192.168.1.1)  0.245 ms  0.242 ms  0.140 ms
 2  samba (192.168.1.100)  0.424 ms  0.580 ms  0.430 ms
Completely untuned samba gets:
code:
smb: \> put 100megs
putting file 100megs as \100megs (10478.9 kb/s) (average 10478.9 kb/s)
SCP reference:
code:
scp 100megs samba:
100megs  100%  100MB  10.0MB/s   00:10 

fled posted:

Reason: Internal dev webserver. Going to have developers connect through a SOCKS proxy on the firewall so their traffic to our real webservers gets diverted/rewritten to our internal webserver for mucking about with webserver settings and not messing with production. This is the only way. Hosts file changes, changing DNS servers that points to internal addresses is not viable. Webservers MUST use the hostname/virtualhost or they dont function (heavy Oracle PL/SQL sites, custom site software, requires this to function).

This is the only reasonable way to do it. I currently have it rigged up through a Linux box right now but I'm dying to get this answer for pf.

Are you able to assign an alias on one of the interfaces and allocate another IP for the application to use?

`rdr inet proto tcp from alias0 to IP -> OTHER_IP` might do the trick. I've got something similar going. The traffic originates from inside a jail, but that's just an alias as far as the networking stack is concerned.

LooseChanj posted:

(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
Of course the next line is:
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon 9600 AP (AGP) found :doh:

That card doesn't have both DVI & VGA, does it?

Post your xorg.conf or see if you can get that KDE program to write one for you.

CrzyDTpBoy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 17, 2008

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Is there some easy way to remove a lot of packages without typing out pkg_delete [package] a million times? My first thought was to go back into the ports collection and do make uninstall but that doesn't work at all (feels like it should though).

You can always try pkg_cutleaves. It's basically a script that cycles through the ports tree, asking whether you want to delete each package that it finds that nothing else depends on. When one loop is done, it cycles back through with any new "orphaned" packages it finds.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, so here's a half-assed example: I have php5 and a single extension (i.e. php5-mysql) installed. The first round asks if I want to nuke php5-mysql, so I do. Since it's now gone and there's nothing else that requires php5, the second loop will now give me the option to remove php5.

It's a pretty efficient and safe way to prune down installed ports.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Read the handbook.

Specifically the part about /etc/resolv.conf.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Grayham posted:

Do I need to download all of these individually?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: there may be a way to get it to recursively install packages, but probably not from the web GUI.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

feld posted:

Any ideas on how long before ZFS on FreeBSD is going to be considered stable? I'm interested in turning it on and using it on a FreeBSD NAS I have here at work... Non critical data, but would be nice to have it not disappear.

ZFS is a scary blackbox of a beast. My understanding is it's not that it's unstable, you're just on your own for tuning (i.e. nothing in the kernel or userland is going to prevent your data from getting hosed). If that's what you mean by stable, probably not until 8-RELEASE.

helixxo posted:

I'm guessing the xorg.conf file needs some dang information in it about my monitor and the driver and such. I thought nvidia-xconfig was supposed to edit all that into the file.

Wait, are you hitting the "Write to xorg.conf" or whatever the gently caress the button is in the bottom right? If not, you're just changing the run-time configuration.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

helixxo posted:

What button where? I run nvidia-xconfig from command line and it creates a a blank xorg.conf.

...from the terminal? nvidia-xconfig a GUI configuration panel like the ones in Windows. Run it with sudo*, do your configuration, then click "Write to /etc/xorg.conf".

*The problems you had in Gnome could actually be caused by not running it as root - I think it tries to write to ~ or something and X isn't looking there for the config file unless you tell it to.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

helixxo posted:

I'm not in X when I do it and root is the only login while I'm setting it up.

When I try it from a terminal in gnome by entering "su" and then "nvidia-xconfig" it says

"garth# nvidia-xconfig

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

ps: Process environment requires procfs(5)
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'"

Here we go - procfs(5) error.

Do you have the linux compatibility packages installed (pkg_info | grep -i linux)? If not, cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-fc6/ && make install clean. If you do, did you put the right entries:

in /etc/fstab:
code:
linproc  /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw              0       0
linsys   /compat/linux/sys       linsysfs        rw              0       0
and /boot/loader.conf:
code:
linux_load="YES"

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

chrispyman posted:

It's just the x64 versions of Windows. FreeBSD runs great on x64 since for the most part everything is compiled from source and works fine.

Purely anecdotal: a few coworkers and I noticed a enough of an increase in random X problems and general instability when running amd64 to keep everyone on i386.

EDIT: The problems were only on desktops running X. We're almost exclusively amd64 on servers. The last i386 server is getting the beatdown this week.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Sergeant Hobo posted:

If I wanted to put FreeBSD on my laptop (not going to at the moment, but just for the sake of discussion), is it possible that I can NFS mount my server's ports tree so I can update that only once and have my FreeBSD laptop access it or would that cause issues somehow?

If you're going to be doing it read-only and don't want to have to ssh to the NFS server to fetch distfiles, you'll need to set WRKDIRPREFIX and DISTDIR in /etc/make.conf.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

ptier posted:

Does anyone know of a kernel module that will read/mount HFS+?

There's http://www.freshports.org/emulators/hfsutils/, but it doesn't explicitly say HFS+.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Kapser posted:

If any of you happen to be in NYC, or would like to travel, NYCBSDCon will be happening over the weekend of October 11-12, 2008 at Columbia University with a similar format to the 2006 conference.

I got my travel confirmation for NYCBSDCon yesterday. Anyone else going?

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Pavol Paska posted:

I am trying to put FreeBSD on my old HP Omnibook 6000 with an ATI Rage Mobility graphics chipset and I get this when starting up X.org:

It appears to be a known issue.

Do none of the other ATI modules support DRI?

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

feld posted:

That doesn't tell me exactly what was changed in p5, it only lists the history of the security advisories. I could do some guesswork by looking at the dates of things, but that doesn't answer everything such as bug fixes that aren't security issues.

Bugfixes don't really hit patch levels. But looking in UPDATING:

quote:

20081002: p5 FreeBSD-SA-08:10.nd6
Default to ignoring potentially evil IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation
messages.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Absorbs Quickly posted:

If you're making a jail, look at ezjail, it does some nifty stuff like mount the whole base system read-only (enforced by the host, not the jail), and makes upgrading your jails a significantly less painful experience.

Jails are amazing. ezjail3's archive & restore options are going to make my life a thousand times easier.

Now to get rid of the .sh on the rc script...

LooseChanj posted:

In other news, I took the parts from my old computer, the one I couldn't get freebsd's Xorg to run in anything but 640x480 and built a new box for OpenBSD and I have the same drat trouble. I guess my radeon 9600 is just a piece of poo poo.

You've got a problem somewhere else. I've got those cards all over the place with no problems.

LooseChanj posted:

Yeah, mergemaster. That thing is so drat annoying you're better off just wiping everything and redoing what you need.

That's not at all viable in a corporate environment. Just look for the file location and repeatedly hit "i" for anything in /etc/defaults/ or /etc/rc.d/. Since it's alphabetical, you'll know when you're getting to the end of the directory. I can pound out a 6.3 -> 7.1 mergemaster in about 2 minutes.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

DeciusMagnus posted:

I just need 2D capabilities for desktop applications (web, email, etc). Is there someway to get this to work again?

Do you know which driver you're running? If you don't know how to find out, post the output of `pkg_info | grep xf86`.

It wouldn't hurt to go to 7.2 (current 7-STABLE) since there are a bunch of drm/dri fixes.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

DeciusMagnus posted:

Right now no driver is being used.

Are you trying to do the automatic configuration (with no xorg.conf)?

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

I don't know about him, but Xorg just seems to ignore that file over here since 7.3 I think. I had to stick an xrandr command in xinitrc just to get the resolution I wanted.

Well, mine definitely uses the xorg.conf. It's the only way I can set the virtual desktop size for xrandr-based dual screen that's required in xorg 7.x.

DeciusMagnus posted:

I don't know if it's making any use of acceleration or on-board memory though.

Use glxinfo. If you don't have it, it's part of graphics/mesa-demos.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

DeciusMagnus posted:

It looks like I'm using software rendering with Mesa. I am currently using a GeForce 8400 GS. Is there any way to get hardware OpenGL support with it on amd64? From my initial searches on Google, it doesn't appear so.

Have you tried the nouveau driver?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a reason why there's still no 64bit NVidia driver?

Well, it's proprietary and I guess Nvidia just doesn't feel the need to do it. I don't know if this completely anecdotal evidience means anything, but I've had nothing but stability problems running Xorg on amd64.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

falz posted:

On a somewhat related subject, didn't AMD/ATI open up the specs to all of their video hardware 18ish months ago? I was under the impression that this would generally eventually result in good open free drivers for ATI GPU's. Anyone know the progress or status of this?

As far as I can tell, the result was ATOM BIOS, which is essentially an API that can be common across different chipsets. It's working reasonably well, but not completed. 3D rendering is only done up to RV5xx and my 2400XT at work just(!) received DRI support in xf86-video-ati 6.12.2. I believe the closest they're coming to a true open driver is providing support for Novell's development of radeonhd.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

jnr posted:

Does freebsd-update only track release branches?

Yeah - all official binaries are only done for -RELEASE and, if needed, any subsequent SAs.

juggalol posted:

[root@cholera ~]# lsof -i :953
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
named 883 bind 21u IPv4 0xc3414740 0t0 TCP localhost:rndc (LISTEN)
named 883 bind 22u IPv6 0xc3414570 0t0 TCP localhost:rndc (LISTEN)
[/code]

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Cholera is only listening on 127.0.0.1, not 192.168.1.25

LooseChanj posted:

What the hell is up with xwindows these days? They removed any sort of config tool, so if -configure doesn't work you're hosed. Whatever version of X that's in 7.1 and 7.2 makes fbsd a command line only OS for me.

I have a feeling it's this bullshit:
(EE) NV(0): Output VGA2 enabled but has no modes

Are you using xorg.conf or letting dbus/hald figure it out?

CrzyDTpBoy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 26, 2009

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

The way I've always done it in the past was use that graphical thing they dropped in the version before last, then tweaking xorg.conf by hand. I have no clue about any of this dbus/hald stuff.

Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf and is this just a single monitor?

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

No it's not. At least, not in my case. I even installed the driver you can get from nvidia. Honestly, I'm so sick of banging my head against this I'm not going to worry about it. If it gets fixed, fine, I can use fbsd again. If not, so long.

Also, that driver is x86 only and I've already tried it. I even installed x86 just to give it a shot and it bombed too.

Your realize this isn't a FreeBSD problem, right? X.org is moving to an automagic config and the ports tree finally caught up.

To get it working:
1. Make sure the following lines are in your rc.conf:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
2. Move /etc/X11/xorg.conf to your homedir
3. Reboot
4. startx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

conntrack posted:

Who doesn't? I'd trample little furry creatures for a non retarded nfs client for windows xp/vista.

You can mount NFS in XP/Vista with Services for Unix or whatever the hell they're calling it these days.

• Locked thread