Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

jt posted:

What's the state of 3d acceleration of the desktop on FreeBSD? It's been years since I used it as a desktop OS but if I was to give it a shot now i'd probably want some 3d jiggly windows action!

I just built myself a new FreeBSD 7.0 STABLE desktop for work. It's got an NVidia 8800GTS. I had compiz working. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, though. I had some minor artifacting and window decorations disappeared from all but the front window. I turned it off.

As far as 3D acceleration in general goes, FreeBSD 7.0 seems to be right on the money. I use the x11/nvidia-driver from ports. I installed the Windows Eve Online client today and it runs like a champ in a window on the version of Wine (.9.57) that's in ports now. All I had to do was install the arial font on my Wine install and things work just as they do on Windows.

My only complaint with using FreeBSD as a desktop is that the Flash 9 plugin for linux hangs. I switched the Flash 7 and things work for sites that are 7 compatible like YouTube but won't work for any site that uses the features in Flash 9. My solution is to just install Firefox in Wine. That's easy enough for me.

Overall I've been very happy with FreeBSD 7.0 as my desktop OS. Right now I'm building some qemu virtual machines on my machine which will provide pinch-hitting for some core services like DNS and Samba in case I need it.

I guess it's also worth noting that I run 6.3 STABLE on my file, dns and web servers and 7.0 STABLE on my snort/backup/you-name-it machine. I made the switch from an all RedHat AS 3 operation a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. FreeBSD is my primary OS now. I can't imagine going back to Linux unless it would be for a very specific purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

whetu posted:

Yup, that's an obvious problem, however Flash-9 on Linux isn't 100% rock solid either. I have a feeling it might be to do with the linux compat layer that you use - FBSD tends towards the Fedora libs whereas NBSD tends towards OpenSUSE - apparently you'll get a better time with the OpenSUSE libs. Though the most reliable way is WINE + Win32 version of your browser of choice + Win32 version of Flash 9. Especially in FBSD 7 where it has been patched to deal with Wine's lovely threading

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Before I switched to fc7 from fc-4 compat the nspluginviewer.bin segfaulted instead of just hanging as it does now. Frankly, I can't be bothered to recompile. The Wine solution works well enough. :)

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

timb posted:

Anyone test out ULE under 7.0? I'm seeing reports that it's slower than 4BSD in pretty much everything.

I run ULE on my desktop and it seems to work like a champ. No audio skipping or anything even when I tried to get it to freak out by doing make -j 3 buildworld and make -j 3 buildkernel at the same time. A few days ago when I was doing some MySQL benchmarking with sysbench I found (when using more than twice the number of threads as CPU cores) my 7 STABLE quad-core desktop with ULE was about 10 times faster than my 6 STABLE quad core database server with 4BSD as long as lots of disk access wasn't involved. The 10k RPM SATA drive in my desktop just can't match the RAID setup in my database server. :)

This is just my experience, though.

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Where did you hear that? I've got 2950s that periodically lock up that we've narrowed down to a chipset difference that Dell refuses to acknowledge because we're running FreeBSD.

My 2950 runs like a top. What chipset difference? I'm about to buy a couple more, I think. I'd like to avoid headaches if possible.

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

em for life.

Even my desktop has em0 :c00lbert:

• Locked thread