Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I am absolutely brand new to BSD and fairly new to Linux/UNIX. What are the essentials to getting a BSD box online in a corporate environment? Currently I am running a test virtual BSD box and IP's don't resolve. Can anyone help a stupid noob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman
May 8, 2004
can anyone quickly sum up how to install software on bsd from cli? i dread reading the bsd docs..

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

# make install

But no, really, what BSD flavour? Are you installing packages or from source/ports? If you don't want to read the documentation (which is, really, not that hard to slog through) you're going to have an unpleasant time at things..

freebsd, both ports and not

Megaman
May 8, 2004
What is the difference between port and source? Isn't that the same thing?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
Porting from the tech haus forum:

I'm trying to boot a live freebsd iso directly from USB so I can install it on any computer I plug it into, but I don't grub4dos doesn't seem to want to load it.

I can entre the BTX loader but freebsd claims it "can't work out which disk we re booting from, guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

can't load 'kernel'

Does anyone know how to resolve this error? Is this something with FreeBSD or a grub4dos directive that I'm missing to specify disks?

Also, should I be booting freebsd as an iso (which I prefer) or should I be extracting it.

I guess what I'm really requesting is a menu.lst example of the freebsd live iso direct boot entry or the extracted iso entry. Anything to get freebsd to boot off a usb key will do.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

EvilMoFo posted:

iirc, this works on the usb drive I have loaded with this
code:
title FreeBSD 8.1 x86
find --set-root /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
map --mem /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

That did it, minus the --mem

Swear that's what I had...maybe it was the (hd32) instead of (hd0,0) or (0xff) that allowed it to boot, but I'm not sure why that is because they should all do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman
May 8, 2004

EvilMoFo posted:

iirc, this works on the usb drive I have loaded with this
code:
title FreeBSD 8.1 x86
find --set-root /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
map --mem /FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

So now I have another question, I get it booted up but when I go to apply the partition information and install the base it gives me "cannot install from [insert whatever USB disk I'm using]" It cannot find the USB key that I have the iso on. This is when I select "install from DOS partition". When I select "install from USB key it thinks I have no USB key installed. Do you have any fix for this?

• Locked thread