Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Requested username
Dec 12, 2005

Toiletbrush posted:

Three simple questions:

- Is there driver support for the Intel Wireless 4965? Including WPA support?
- Is there something like hdparm, so that I can disable a today's laptop's drive's annoying power management?
- How stable is ZFS in 7.0?

There's driver support in OpenBSD, so the other BSDs should pick it up soon if they haven't already. WPA is considered a flawed and broken protocol by the OpenBSD guys so there's very little interest in getting WPA support in OpenBSD. I'm not sure about the status of WPA in FreeBSD.

I've never used Linux, but have a look at atactl(8) and tunefs(8). FreeBSD doesn't have atactl but try looking at atacontrol(8).

Since ZFS is both a new filesystem and a new filesystem to FreeBSD, my gut says "not as stable as FFS" but they've been working on it for quite some time. The fact that they've been making so much noise about finally enabling it by default in the 7.0 release makes me think that it's stable enough for real world testing and use.

The BSDs tend to be much more conservative about adding new features, OpenBSD in particular. If something is enabled in the GENERIC kernel it must be stable enough to be considered production worthy. New drivers and features generally start out as a patch on the mailing lists that's thrown around until someone decides it's good enough to be imported into the tree. When that happens it's usually not connected to the build in the case of a userland program, or commented out in GENERIC in the case of a kernel change. Only when the developers consider a feature to be ready for wider testing and real world usage is it enabled by default.

Just keep in mind that this is the first release that supports ZFS. AKA FreeBSD-ZFS 1.0, and we all know how 1.0 releases are. If you're planning on doing some major, mission-critical stuff for a multi-million dollar corporation you might want to wait for FreeBSD 7.1 just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005

wolrah posted:

What? Seeing that the other option is WEP, WPA is a godsend. Or is this only referring to WPA1, with WPA2 being supported?

I mean WPA2. The other option is not WEP. There are many other ways to secure a wireless connection; authpf, SSH, VPNs, and IPSec can already do everything WPA2 can do and more. They're simpler (WPA2 requires a state machine) and they've been around longer. WPA2 is a complex standard and requires too much bullshit in its implementation for anyone to consider writing support for it when there are already multiple tried-and-true ways of accomplishing the same thing.

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005

wolrah posted:

This is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from the OpenBSD guys, sacrificing practical usability over an idealist point of view.

Given that OpenBSD strives to be technically correct, I'm not surprised either.

They're not sacrificing practical usability for any OpenBSD users. OpenBSD targets a different market and userbase (primarily developers) from most other operating systems. Don't mistake lack of interest in supporting a redundant, overdesigned, consumer-oriented "security" standard as anything other than it actually is.

People are working on WPA2 support in OpenBSD, primarily for people who are at colleges and have no other option to connect to their wireless network, but it's a very low priority task. OpenBSD is a small project with few developers. None of them have a pressing need for WPA2, so nobody's interested in writing the code to support it.

wolrah posted:

I can't speak for its design and or the challenges involved in implementation, but from an ease of use standpoint WPA2 beats the poo poo out of all of those.

I use SSH tunnels pretty much daily to get in to my office network from the road and provide remote support to my customers, but I sure as hell don't want to do the same to get online from my own couch. I get home from work, I open my laptop, I have internet. End of story.

If all you want is internet you could have the same convenience with authpf + a shell script. It would require an SSH client but the shell script could automatically authenticate you via SSH at which point authpf adds rules to your firewall to allow traffic to pass between your laptop and the internet.

Your browsing would be unencrypted unless you use SSL or TLS but the overall security wouldn't be much different from using a public AP. If you want more encryption then you would need to use IPSec or WPA2.

wolrah posted:

Wireless networks in the home and most offices are about convenience. WPA/WPA2 means I can have friends show up, toss them a post-it with the key, and expect them to be able to get online almost without care for their OS or if it's even a normal computer. I know the AppleTV, Xbox 360, and PS3 support WPA2, I think the PSP does as well. As far as I know the DS is limited to WEP, but that's it.

None of these devices support VPNs or run SSH (out of the box at least) so from a practical standpoint I know which one I'm choosing.

Since VPNs and the like are complicated and not really supported by most devices, they're not an option to me. WEP is absolutely garbage for security, so that's out too. That leaves WPA and WPA2. As far as I know, there are some theoretical attacks on WPA which have not actually been implemented (and may not be implementable) and WPA2 is as of yet unbroken.

Don't the AppleTV, Xbox 360, and PS3 have ethernet ports that can be used instead? Yes, I know it's not as convenient as wireless but for anyone using OpenBSD in this case it's a lot easier to run a cable than to write who knows how many thousands of lines of code.

OpenBSD is not a consumer oriented operating system. Faulting it for not supporting consumer oriented stuff is stupid. In the end, computers and by extension operating systems, are tools. Use the right one for the job. If one isn't working for you, find one that does. But don't complain about one not having all the features you want if you don't even use it and already have something that fits your needs.

OpenBSD doesn't try to be everything. If it can't do what you want, use something that does. Even some of the OpenBSD developers dual-boot between other operating systems.

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005

Requested username posted:

:words:

For anyone interested, OpenBSD-current just got WPA2-PSK support. Chipset support is a bit limited at the moment but according to the article it will expand given time.

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005
If you truly want to "Create a command that will list the contents of each subdirectory of the /home directory beginning with the letter k, count the number of files found, and save that number in a file called k-users-files."

Then you want this:
code:
ls /home/*/k* | wc > k-users-files
As for your ls problems. All I can say is try "ls -1". The command you've written (and my modified one) both work correctly in ksh and zsh on OpenBSD.

It could also be that ls is aliased to something else. If the output of "which ls" says that it's an alias then you'll have to fix whatever's setting that. On typical *nix systems this will be a file like .profile for Bourne-ish shells or .login for the 'C' shells.

• Locked thread