Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«829 »
large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you guys get the Tula TOZ rifled up there? They’re amazing little cheap Russian .22s. I got one years ago when they were very briefly imported to the US and it’s a great gun.

I know they’re popular in the rest of the world but I believe US imports stopped for some reason.

I've never seen them for sale new, which is weird. I still have my Baikal .177 pellet rifle made in glorious USSR that my Dad bought me when I was ten.

We do get some Norinco .22 trainers and I think a weird Chinese k98 .22 copy that somebody here had at one point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Norinco stopped making those k98 .22's. it apparently was based of the CZ no4? A precursor to their cz 452/455/457 line because cz 452/455 magazines work in them.

The savage mk 2 is the most popular "production" .22lr for the Canadian rimfire precision series matches. (Production means less than $500 MSRP to exclude all cz models)

Edit: those supposedly prohibited not an ar-15 variants were not prohibited from what some Reddit verified business accounts could see.

Disregard me setting the barn on fire, in my defense I was still asking for verification as I didn't believe it until a verified business could check it.

See my first post for more details or see here.

Reddit OiC not an ar-15 prohibited possibly more to come.

quote:

There are many conflicting reports regarding this update to the FRT and FRNs of several firearms. Some businesses are confirming guns are now prohib, others still show Non-restricted. We will continue to update it as more information comes alight.

For a better explanation, here is /u/CalibreMag
's clarification regarding this post:

Ok. To explain, since people seem confused about these screenshots vs the screenshots others have seen with blue bars. These guns are prohib now. Here's why they don't appear that way on some screens:

There are two parallel ways to access the FRT data. One is through the business portal, you can tell because it has the blue bars and the formatting. It is updated, generally, weekly and does not reflect the "live" FRT.

The second way is to access a recently-updated interface for verifiers, which is live, and provides updates in real time as the FRT is updated by the Firearms Technologists that run it. This is the system from which I pulled these screenshots I posted of these guns as prohibited.

The confusion stems from an update the verifier system got six months ago that required verifiers to re-apply for status to access it. Many businesses with staff that have verifier status did not re-apply to access this verifier portal because 1) they can access the business-facing FRT, and they have better things to do with their time than re-apply to access a document that (up until now) they've not needed real-time, live-updated access to, and 2) they don't verify much any more. Thus, they cannot see the updated FRT, and are going off the business portal posted above.

So tl;dr, Screenshots from the business portal are not the most current reflection of the FRT, and the screenshots with the grey index bars instead of blue are. No one doctored anything. It's just people not understanding the two parallel systems.

Second tl;dr: Verifiers are people who have passed an RCMP course and are able to identify and correctly register firearms that require registration. We needed them a lot back in the LGR days, nowadays, they tend to only see much use with businesses like O'Dell and Wolverine, who see a lot of unpapered prohibited stuff come through the door as a result of their proximity to gun museums (staff at both also volunteer with museums).

TL;DR expect more OiC prohibitions to shake out through the FRT, I believe the Macabee Defense SLR and ATRS Modern sporter are getting hit with the prohib hammer because they have commonality with the AR-10 design which was added into the original AR-15/M16/M4 prohibited variant class.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 16, 2020

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

In fairness, even if they arenít prohib this instant, thereís nothing stopping them from ruling them an AR-15 variant at any time and/or banning them by name through OIC if they think that wonít stick. I, personally, would not be in the market for a semi-auto right now.

The ďis it a prohib?Ē circus will continue for as long as the full list remains private and the classifications are based on anything other than completely unambiguous laws.

Thanks for all the .22 advice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

large hands posted:

I've never seen them for sale new, which is weird. I still have my Baikal .177 pellet rifle made in glorious USSR that my Dad bought me when I was ten.

We do get some Norinco .22 trainers and I think a weird Chinese k98 .22 copy that somebody here had at one point

If you ever see a Winchester Wildcat it's the same thing. Towards the end Winchester imported a bunch of them and fiddled with them a bit to make them more "american market." I think they either put a new stock on or maybe stained it and like one other thing. Same rifle, same mags, same bolt and barrel, and it still looks like a Mosin around the trigger guard.

The joke at the time was that you knew poo poo had gotten bad when the only way Winchester could make a good rifle was to buy it from a factory that used to make Mosins.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

David Corbett posted:

In fairness, even if they arenít prohib this instant, thereís nothing stopping them from ruling them an AR-15 variant at any time and/or banning them by name through OIC if they think that wonít stick. I, personally, would not be in the market for a semi-auto right now.

The ďis it a prohib?Ē circus will continue for as long as the full list remains private and the classifications are based on anything other than completely unambiguous laws.

Thanks for all the .22 advice.

This is what makes me tempted to unload my unbanned semis while the price is high. But I really like them and don't want to It also makes it really loving hard to enjoy my hobby when basically any of my guns can be banned at any moment.

My brother is building a sweet .22 range back in the woods so hopefully we can go pew pew there and be left alone

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

It's called a hassle, sweetheart..

Chillyrabbit posted:

Norinco stopped making those k98 .22's

I have one of these and it's definitely getting way more range time once we're back in business.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

After cleaning mine up by redoing the finish and rough machining mine's been a consistent favorite with others whenever I bring it out. I wish I could get more magazines for it but Marstar has been out of stock forever and I can't even find them on their new website any more. I know they take CZ452 mags but those are $50 a piece, half of what the rifle itself cost.

If you can find a cheap supply of Savage MkII magazines apparently you can do a little fitting to get them to work, but right now they aren't that much cheaper than the CZ ones. I'd want to go with 5 rounders for that nice flush look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64sd-hE_DtI

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Mine is a favorite for sure. With a cheap scope and some decent ammo it shoots as well or better than any of my more expensive 22s. Gets lots of attention at the range too.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bleak Gremlin

Shotgun thread seems to get infrequent posts, so I'll try this here instead:

Professor Shark posted:

I'm on the brink of ordering a Vortex Venom [for my Benelli Supernova]. Should I go with the 3MOA or the 6MOA? Eventually I'd like to get a rifle and have the ability to swap this sight, so I'm leaning towards the 3.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

Thermos posted:

Mine is a favorite for sure. With a cheap scope and some decent ammo it shoots as well or better than any of my more expensive 22s. Gets lots of attention at the range too.

For a long while I was thinking of scoping mine, but after I cleaned up the completely garbage front sight with a file it feels perfect now. I even lucked out and took off enough material so that the elevation markings more or less match. I just need to cold blue the front sight blade and it'll be all done.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Jury still seems out on this one. The current story is that RCMP replaced FRT entries that previously had "not technically an AR variant" in their definition to change them to be AR variants yesterday. They haven't updated the version of the FRT for retailers, but that there exists this supposedly more up to date "verifier" version of the FRT does not bode well.

Maybe there will be clarification on Tuesday?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

CTC supplies posted another one for the macabee defense slr about an hour ago.

Blue bars indicate that it's the business FRT table.

mewse
May 2, 2006

From wanstalls on facebook:

quote:

Update: The RCMP is acting under the orders of Bill Blair and the Trudeau Liberals and are currently going down the list and prohibiting hundreds of firearms and not telling anyone. Typhoon Shotguns, type 97s, modern spotters, BCL coyote, Macabee Defense. Allegedly the list is at 255 new firearms and growing.

Don't know how they can justify the type 97, will have to see if that's just rumour

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

Don't know how they can justify the type 97, will have to see if that's just rumour

Well, part of the OIC is they no longer have to justify it beyond "too dangerous for public use", however there have been widespread reports of T97s runaway slamfiring, so.

Doesn't detract from this being hosed up and bullshit.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Lol my Ruger ranch will probably be prohib for taking AR mags before I get it, at this rate.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Savage Axis II Precision looks like a good way to burn through all this .223 I have sitting around. Thoughts?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

HPL posted:

Savage Axis II Precision looks like a good way to burn through all this .223 I have sitting around. Thoughts?

I grabbed the Ruger American Ranch for basically the same reason, and it's really light and compact and uses my AR mags. Can't really go wrong with a modern Savage though. Either of the two are supposed to be great if you're not looking to spend CZ/tikka/Sako money

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I've been looking at those Howa mini actions in .223 that come with a scope and bi-pod, they seem pretty cool.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Been looking at those Ruger American rifles for a reliable .223 thing, what's the difference between the Ranch and the Predator, just the colour of the stock?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Predator is a 22" barrel, Ranch is 16 1/8".

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah, looks like you can get shorter barrels for larger calibers in the Predator rifle, but only 22" for .223, where as the Ranch rifle seems to be that 16" length across the board. Ranch seems to make more sense for .223.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

If you have a pile of AR mags there's a ranch model that uses them, which is kind of a crackerjack prize at the bottom of the box full of turds the last couple weeks have been.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I was thinking of buying something bolty and .223 just because itís cheap to send downrange. I wonder whether this new development will have any negative effect on the price of .223 overall.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I was thinking of buying something bolty and .223 just because itís cheap to send downrange. I wonder whether this new development will have any negative effect on the price of .223 overall.

Is negative effect prices going up or down, do you mean? It can read both ways.

large hands posted:

If you have a pile of AR mags there's a ranch model that uses them, which is kind of a crackerjack prize at the bottom of the box full of turds the last couple weeks have been.

Don't forget about the optics you can recycle too!

I missed a ballin' deal on a 1-8 LPVO for ~$300 after taxes, shipping, and rebate. That's as much as I paid for a 1-4x a year ago

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I doubt .223 prices will be affected aside from the usual increase in production costs. They're cranking that stuff out there's no tomorrow. It's not like some oddball calibre like .280 Ross or something.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

Is negative effect prices going up or down, do you mean? It can read both ways.

I guess negative could be read as lesser demand driving the price down but I was being selfish and hoping it didnít mean an increase to offset said lesser demand.

Martytoof fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 17, 2020

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Lesser demand would also mean smaller orders which would mean not as good volume pricing for dealers.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I'm curious to see how things will be affected overall. I stopped into my LGS the other day and they were doing gangbusters. The owner said they have never been so busy. Tons of people especially in my community lining up to get their PAL/RPAL.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I'd be happy to level off the supply of 5.56 if someone would make me this: https://futurewarstories.blogspot.c...ds-blaster.html

(just no Hi-Point or Norinco plz I like having both my hands)

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

While not a repeater, I have always thought about getting a Thompson/Centre G2, or similar break action pistol to shoot .223

Slap one of these bad boys on it:

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I've been toying with the idea of building a target rifle in .223

I was thinking something like a tikka barreled action in a GRS stock with diopters. Nordic marksman has a bunch of different sights but I know poo poo all about them so I would need to do some more research.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I saw on a cgn mateba thread that there was a lead that the 2006M was coming to Canada with an announcement on Facebook. I couldn't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

They've been saying the unica 6 has been on the way for almost two years now...

Only thing I could spot that's recent is Mateba posting a news article in January 2020 that they were assembling them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bleak Gremlin

I'm glad that I went with my instincts and didn't order from Optics Planet. Originally they were one of the few places online offering Supernova extension tubes+nuts, with the caveat that they would be shipping in ~10-14 days. I kept checking back on the site and saw that the estimate was never updated and some light research on Reddit showed that they had a history of selling stuff they didn't have in stock. I just checked again and now their estimates have been updated to 6-10 months.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Good Lord we went to well known crown land in the first time in forever and while it was good when we found an out of the way place to shoot, the "designated" shooting area was filled with more trash density than I've ever seen at a gravel pit. There was a loving rusting hulk of a hot tub there that was almost big enough to be a below ground pool.

Exploring deeper in the crown land was fun, especially on bikes, but when we'd find an out of the way site that was open, clean and safe to shoot at with adequate backstops, within 20 minutes the NIMBYs would show up on a side by side telling us why we weren't allowed to be there. We confirmed everything on the maps and bylaws in the days before we headed out, but getting into a confrontation with guns in the woods just didn't seem worth it.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

within 20 minutes the NIMBYs would show up on a side by side telling us why we weren't allowed to be there.

Legendary lack of self reflection there. Or did they actually have good reasons other than "this is my place"?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

My .223 Savages. I like .223 in a bolt action, its a nice cheap way to have some fun.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

In love with this.

If I get some cashola for my now-prohibs itíll probably go to one of these.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Bhurak posted:

Legendary lack of self reflection there. Or did they actually have good reasons other than "this is my place"?

"There's houses close by and people using those trails. We're gonna drive our side by side directly behind your backstop so we can gather ~*MEDICINE*~"

There were no houses within a kilometer, and an empty golf course 600 meter away through dense bush. Also no trail behind where we were shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Feeling a bit scummy by taking advantage of this gun ban business and sold used firearms for brand new prices.

But holy hell I could have charged more than new considering I got like 10 offers in 10 minutes for both of them. A used NR gsg16 in 22lr for $420 and a used NR FX9 for $1250.

It did incentivize me to actually trim down the collection though, taking good with the bad.

«829 »