Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«829 »
Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!

Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

Even if the RCMP never inputted any new FRT entries you should still be able import firearms albeit more expensively and time consuming as CBSA would have to check every single firearm to see if its legal in Canada instead of using the reference table.

I doubt the RCMP could unilaterally block import of firearms by never classifying them and if they did that is an action that would get them sued into the ground. CBSA decides what is allowed into Canada not the RCMP.

Firearms reference table

What is allowed into Canada and what we are allowed to have in our hands are two different things. When I started in the industry the new sex were Walther .22LR that looked like the AUG(I think. Running off of memory). They were nothing exceptional and were imported. Some time between the paperwork clearing and the pallets landing at Phoenix the RCMP decided they were prohib. So they are in the borders. But no one can shoot them. I'm not sure what ended up happening with the rifles. When I exited the industry in 2013 afaik they were still taking up space there.

So basically me saying no more FRT is shorthand for saying the borders are closed to all new models and what we have is what we have. Something akin to the machine gun registry in our neighbors to the south. A slowly dieing pool of gradually more expensive farmerd SMLE sporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The FRT is just a database, it has no legal weight. Its use is almost 100% internal to the RCMP as a reference guide.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mikerock posted:

The FRT is just a database, it has no legal weight. Its use is almost 100% internal to the RCMP as a reference guide.

That may be true but you canít discount how unsettling it is to have all these models of firearms being changed to prohib in the database in secret, when they arenít part of the 1500 in the OIC

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

"Law made in secret" sounds like a great intro paragraph for the CCFR's suit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

It might not be law, but if the RCMP uses it as a base to take your property and force you to go through the court of law... well, goodbye gun unless you love pissing away money.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Does the CCLA have anything to say about this? In the US we had the EFF filing amicus with goddamn paedophiles to unearth a Firefox / Tor browser exploit so you'd think this would merit some attention.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if my poo poo gets banned I'll find something else to do, but I intend to fight this until ~1 week before I get declared a criminal.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Bhurak posted:

What is allowed into Canada and what we are allowed to have in our hands are two different things. When I started in the industry the new sex were Walther .22LR that looked like the AUG(I think. Running off of memory). They were nothing exceptional and were imported. Some time between the paperwork clearing and the pallets landing at Phoenix the RCMP decided they were prohib. So they are in the borders. But no one can shoot them. I'm not sure what ended up happening with the rifles. When I exited the industry in 2013 afaik they were still taking up space there.

So basically me saying no more FRT is shorthand for saying the borders are closed to all new models and what we have is what we have. Something akin to the machine gun registry in our neighbors to the south. A slowly dieing pool of gradually more expensive farmerd SMLE sporters.

Sounds like the Walther G22 Bullpup that you are talking about, got hit with the prohibited device hammer for being a bullpup stock separable from the firearm receiver. Armalytics link to FRT

Our Non-restricted bullpups get away with avoiding the bullpup stock ban by the bullpup stock being the firearm itself and not a seperate stock. Which by the letter of the bullpup ban legislation makes it okay as it bans separable bullpup stocks.

I still disagree if the RCMP just don't classify firearms they can't convict you with a crime if they can't prove what you have is a firearm or not. But Jobbo_Fett is right they could use the missing FRT data to just take you for the ride to court one day before the Crown drops charges after deciding you had a Non-restricted rifle and not an unregistered prohibited.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 21, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

Coxswain Balls posted:

Everyone looking into their first .223 bolt actions be incredibly careful, because that's the road that leads down to reloading, ladder testing, and having to try out that different power just to see how it does.

All I'm saying is make sure you got a buddy with a chronograph.

An addendum to this: please don't shoot my chronograph.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 21, 2020

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Coxswain Balls posted:

An addendum to this: please don't shoot my chronograph.

Oh dear.
At least you can take advantage of the replacement/upgrade program they have. I assume they are still offering it at least.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

kupachek posted:

Oh dear.
At least you can take advantage of the replacement/upgrade program they have. I assume they are still offering it at least.

They told me they got it working again so I'm not terribly upset. Worst case scenario our mutual friend will print up a new plastic housing for me, hahahahah.

Today was very productive. All our scopes came in so we got them installed and sighted in, then had plenty of fun at 200 meters.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Coxswain Balls posted:

They told me they got it working again so I'm not terribly upset. Worst case scenario our mutual friend will print up a new plastic housing for me, hahahahah.

Today was very productive. All our scopes came in so we got them installed and sighted in, then had plenty of fun at 200 meters.

I'm almost afraid to know who accidentally hit it.
They are pretty simple devices though, so as long as the sensor doesn't get smashed it can be put back together easy enough.

By the way, I have a sheaffer snorkel with the desk holder that used to belong to Judge Scow, the pen itself needs a repair (snorkel stuck extended) but I was wondering if you'd like it, because I can include it for you when I send a package out that way. I need to figure out what box I put it in, but I'll send a photo when I do unearth it again.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

kupachek posted:

I'm almost afraid to know who accidentally hit it.
They are pretty simple devices though, so as long as the sensor doesn't get smashed it can be put back together easy enough.

By the way, I have a sheaffer snorkel with the desk holder that used to belong to Judge Scow, the pen itself needs a repair (snorkel stuck extended) but I was wondering if you'd like it, because I can include it for you when I send a package out that way. I need to figure out what box I put it in, but I'll send a photo when I do unearth it again.

Hahahah, in the end I don't know who actually hit it. It was nearing the end of the day so I biked to the truck to grab a garbage bag and was on the way back picking up bush trash to leave with more than we came with. All of a sudden I got a call on the radio saying "you know that one thing you told us not to do with the chrony? About that..."

And it would be an honour to have that and I'd definitely work on getting it repaired properly. Part of why today was so great was I finally finished my final paper for my Canadian Indigenous Law course so we were able to spend the whole day out and I wasn't stressing out. Got an A+, and my prof is down to set up a video call to talk about these new firearms laws and the ways they conflict with Section 35 rights.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Coxswain Balls posted:

Hahahah, in the end I don't know who actually hit it. It was nearing the end of the day so I biked to the truck to grab a garbage bag and was on the way back picking up bush trash to leave with more than we came with. All of a sudden I got a call on the radio saying "you know that one thing you told us not to do with the chrony? About that..."

And it would be an honour to have that and I'd definitely work on getting it repaired properly. Part of why today was so great was I finally finished my final paper for my Canadian Indigenous Law course so we were able to spend the whole day out and I wasn't stressing out. Got an A+, and my prof is down to set up a video call to talk about these new firearms laws and the ways they conflict with Section 35 rights.

The chrony should have only been about ten to fifteen feet in front of the firing line, so I'm not entirely sure how it got smoked /after/ the scopes were zeroed, but then again, the height over bore leads to lower barrel placement and well, poo poo happens.

I shall prepare it to send for you when I remember what box it's in (I think I know which one, the trick is getting to it). The stand is marble, and there is a property label on the bottom. I've had it in my possession for a number of years now (he was retired but still alive and active at the time). Embarrassingly, I'm the one who got the snorkel stuck while getting ready to refill it. I used it for a while, and then after I borked it I utilized it as a bookend (right next to my copy of "Wahbung"). I honestly never thought I'd be able to part with it (for obvious reasons regarding its former owner) but I figured you'd be the right person to appreciate both it and him.

Congratulations on the A+!. It might seem weird because we've never formally met, but gently caress am I ever proud of you.
I'd like to read your paper if you wouldn't mind sharing a copy with me at some point. And wouldn't mind hearing an update on how the videocall goes as well.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I am given to understand that there are two different kinds of chronographs: those that have been shot and those that have yet to be shot.

Same as reusable target stands. It sure is a magical experience when the 520gn .577 Snider bullets you're sending down range will consistently make contact with a 2" piece of frame, but not the actual paper target holding it up.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 21, 2020

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Fearless posted:

I am given to understand that there are two different kinds of chronographs: those that have been shot and those that have yet to be shot.

Accurate observation.

Fearless posted:

Same as reusable target stands. It sure is a magical experience when the 520gn .577 Snider bullets you're sending down range will consistently make contact with a 2" piece of frame, but not the actual paper target holding it up.

You're suppose to claim you were targeting that particular tiny spot. Never admit you had a miss!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

Same as reusable target stands

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A garden full of trees, and a pocket full of cheese.

Something something maybe banned, but might not be, yo have to prove yourself innocent in court because innocent until proven guilty doesn't actually exist...

Is something like this worthwhile?

https://firearmlegaldefence.com/

They advertise themselves as "insurance against bullshit firearms charges".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bleak Gremlin

Is my smooth bore Supernova still in a legal grey area?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

wesleywillis posted:

Something something maybe banned, but might not be, yo have to prove yourself innocent in court because innocent until proven guilty doesn't actually exist...

Is something like this worthwhile?

https://firearmlegaldefence.com/

They advertise themselves as "insurance against bullshit firearms charges".

I know a couple of the lawyers that contract with them and it's legit. Whether it's "worthwhile" is a typical insurance question. What are the odds that you're going to find yourself in court? Are you willing to hedge your bets against it?

What's odd is that they advertise and talk a lot about civil stuff, and I truly have no idea how common that is. Civil actions have costs and fees that spiral out of control super quick so it makes sense to have something to plug it with. Criminal court costs are predictable and something you should negotiate with your lawyer before hand (I work on flat fees 99% of the time, for example).

That being said, if you bet that one day you'll pay a low-end rate of $5k for a day in court, that's *50 years* of insurance payments before you've wasted your investment in insurance, so...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

As a religion, bilingualism is the god that failed. It has led to no fairness, produced no unity, and cost Canadian taxpayers untold millions.

e: Posting about guns on the internet, good or bad?

I know on the face of it Iím only arguing for what the laws were a month ago, and posting photos of legal, registered firearms I obtained lawfully and will dispose of within the amnesty period, but these are strange times.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 21, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

I'd say you're fine. Admitting to owning/writing a blog about world war 2 explosives didn't get me shitcanned from a clearance check so

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

kupachek posted:

Congratulations on the A+!. It might seem weird because we've never formally met, but gently caress am I ever proud of you.
I'd like to read your paper if you wouldn't mind sharing a copy with me at some point. And wouldn't mind hearing an update on how the videocall goes as well.

Thanks! Once I get my webspace issues sorted out I'll have it uploaded there, which will hopefully be at some point around when I speak with my prof. All of these pics are on Imgur right now which I'll have to fix once I finish the migration stuff on my personal webspace, since it sucks to look through old threads for info from others and get "this image no longer exists" errors.

Fearless posted:

If you have a Labradar and it's been shot, something has gone terribly wrong.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Coxswain Balls posted:

Thanks! Once I get my webspace issues sorted out I'll have it uploaded there, which will hopefully be at some point around when I speak with my prof. All of these pics are on Imgur right now which I'll have to fix once I finish the migration stuff on my personal webspace, since it sucks to look through old threads for info from others and get "this image no longer exists" errors.

If you have a Labradar and it's been shot, something has gone terribly wrong.

I can't afford a Labradar, I piss my disposable income away on other frivolous things (box thread coming soon).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

From what I understand doppler chronographs are typically set up beside you so if it's in the first category of chronograph someone must be really confused about how they work in the best case scenario. Although I suppose there's always the chance of a seriously unlucky ricochet.

Magnetospeeds weird me out because they seem like one slight misalignment during installation away from blowing up, except they're many times the price of an old-school chronograph. My buddy says that virtually never happens if you set it up right, but he's also a potential suspect in my chrony's attempted murder so maybe his tune has changed a bit.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

But also, they look like a cyber bayonet.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

kupachek posted:

You're suppose to claim you were targeting that particular tiny spot. Never admit you had a miss!

That only holds water when the target stand gains gaping speed holes in the same general place rather than two feet apart!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

For me being a spotter for my friend who has a Ruger American in .223 and collecting data is just as fun as shooting, and often we're just at the 50 or 100 yard line.

Blast from the past, but any good recommendations on an entry level spotting scope? I don't see myself shooting past 200 yards anytime soon, and my range maxes out at 100 Most of the reviews I could find on glass is 99% is either superficial clickbaity SEO crap or arfcom ..though that's probably true for anything gun related.

e. I would like to shoot out to a few hundred yards one day, it's just...not likely to happen in the near future.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 24, 2020

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Guest2553 posted:

Blast from the past, but any good recommendations on an entry level spotting scope? I don't see myself shooting past 200 yards anytime soon, and my range maxes out at 100 Most of the reviews I could find on glass is 99% is either superficial clickbaity SEO crap or arfcom ..though that's probably true for anything gun related.

e. I would like to shoot out to a few hundred yards one day, it's just...not likely to happen in the near future.

https://www.barska.com/20-60x60-wp-...-scope-straight

This is the one I have and I quite like it, though the tripod is a little basic.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Guest2553 posted:

There's some talk of it in the optics thread right now, and it sounds like it comes down to use case.

As for what I use, I have a bunch of astronomy gear lying around so I just use that. For shooting from a bench at 100 yards I use a 4" Schmidt-Cassegrain configured to the equivalent of a 46x magnification spotting scope and it works well enough that I can read the text on the targets. Without a Porro prism you'll need to correct in your head for the image being flipped or mirrored, though.

Right now I'm bugging the long range folks about being an effective spotter so it might be worth keeping an eye on that thread, too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for the tips.

Know offhand if it's an asspain for Barska to ship to Canada, Fearless?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Guest2553 posted:

Thanks for the tips.

I think I got it from Cabelas or Amazon years ago as I recall. I don't remember it being a particular bother regardless.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

It's called a hassle, sweetheart..

Guest2553 posted:

Thanks for the tips.

I bought my Barska off Amazon, no sweat.

My project for this quarantine period should be to 3D print a phone camera to eyepiece adapter since I can't take off my eyepro to use it at the range.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it

Grimey Drawer

Well, I just posted a fairly innocuous article on my facebook about the gun ban, and sure as poo poo I had guys on either side of the debate teeing off on each other in the comments . Why can't people just have a reasonable discussion? :|

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Mederlock posted:

Well, I just posted a fairly innocuous article on my facebook about the gun ban, and sure as poo poo I had guys on either side of the debate teeing off on each other in the comments . Why can't people just have a reasonable discussion? :|

Well you see the problem lies with "facebook" and "gun"...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mederlock posted:

I tried engaging with a friend the day the ban was announced and explained that my AR was a piece of equipment that was necessary to participate in dynamic shooting sports and that was indeed (and had been) a perfectly valid and legal reason to own it up until it suddenly wasn't. I got about as far as "I can see why you are upset by this but there is absolutely nothing you can say or do to convince me that an alternative view to mine exist" and disengaged after that because it is impossible to discuss anything with a committed ideologue.

Dude's a case manager for Veterans Affairs too and the thought of that kind of outlook in that kind of position just gnaws at me.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

On that topic, over on CGN they were mentioning something about the guy in charge of the rcmp "lab" retiring on wednesday after reclassifying a bunch of poo poo like the ATRS guns. Apparently he was rabidly anti-gun and people are speculating whether he dis this under orders or as a final "gently caress you" to gun owners.

loving blows my mind to have people who hate something so irraionally be in charge of classifying it.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

If there's really something to that they should write the office of the IG responsible for the RCMP or equivalent.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Any strong thoughts on Celestron/Gosky/Simmons brands? The optics thread makes it sound like they're all pretty crappy at that price point, but I can't justify spending more from for the basic-rear end use I'll be putting it through.

e. or plan C of buying a bipod for my 7-21x40 binos and spending the difference on ammo to git gud.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 24, 2020

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

If any of you guys are interested, I have my GSG StG-44 on the EE. I'll ship for free for goons.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...1844-GSG-StG-44

Works great, shoots anything. Pretty accurate for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A garden full of trees, and a pocket full of cheese.

Just bought a Savage Axis in 6.5mm creedmoor. Was going to get it in .223rem but I didn't. I know I should be taking it out and sighting it in with whatever ammo I plan on using for purpose X but for now I'm just fishing around for places to buy it.

Barring sales/clearance etc.., what are some good (cheap) online places to get ammo in 6.5?

My plan is to buy one box each of various brands, bullet weights etc and see which it likes best, then probably stock up on a bunch of boxes of whatever seems the most accurate.

«829 »