Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Exchange RPALs and call in to the CFP to verify. Once they send the funds, call the CFP to initiate a registration transfer, then get the buyer to call in and complete the transfer. Ask for the transfer notification to be emailed so you don't have to wait on paper mail. Then call the CFP to get an appropriate STATT, likely to the local post office to ship it off.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

The hardest part is waiting on hold with the CFP. I've had the shortest wait times when I've called right away in the morning.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I transferred a restricted today, only had to wait like 2 mins. I called around noon atlantic time. They are always extremely pleasant. I feel bad they probably get a lot of grief over stuff they are not responsible for.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

I transferred a restricted today, only had to wait like 2 mins. I called around noon atlantic time. They are always extremely pleasant. I feel bad they probably get a lot of grief over stuff they are not responsible for.

I make a point of being as polite and kind to them as I possibly can be because holy Christ I can only imagine the poo poo they have to take.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Agreed on both - I'm on my last nerve with this hobby given how hard this city makes it to enjoy, but that's not the CFO's fault. One of the clerks and I even shared a chuckle about it when I got the ATT for my move.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Paging the Canadian Snider-Enfield gurus: does this piece look legit, or at least legit enough to be an eventual shooter?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

Paging the Canadian Snider-Enfield gurus: does this piece look legit, or at least legit enough to be an eventual shooter?

I am going to have to take some time for a dig through some references, but I have concerns about the front sight for sure. If the bore is good, that should make for a decent shooter (in that it will shoot) but with Sniders it is really important to manage your expectations: they are not particularly accurate in the first place, and such a slow rate of twist on such a short barrel isn't likely to make the carbines like that any better.

E: The cadet carbines, such as they were, used the same kind of front sight you'd find on a shotgun-- just a simple brass bead. The front sight on that is significantly taller and looks much later, but I am not sure that that is entirely a detriment given that Sniders were zeroed at something like 250 yards and at anything less than that will tend to shoot high.

The DC in a diamond is the Dominion of Canada stamp and should feature prominently on Sniders purchased by the Canadian government, but there were also a shitload of them purchased by private interests and individuals to outfit militia companies and as a part of the Volunteer Movement in Canada and they will not have this mark.

Anyways, I shoot a 3 band infantry rifle and that is a surprisingly sedate experience for such a massive bullet but there is also a lot of mass to deaden the recoil. These cadet carbines are similar in dimension to the cavalry carbines and might be a bit more lively... but also a shitload easier to handle. The 2-band and artillery Sniders are far handier than the infantry models.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 17, 2021

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I'm assuming the front sight is a later replacement, which I can live with.

How not particularly accurate are we talking? Minute of man? Minute of elephant? Minute of SMS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

I'm assuming the front sight is a later replacement, which I can live with.

How not particularly accurate are we talking? Minute of man? Minute of elephant? Minute of SMS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse?

Well, my infantry rifle pulled off 4" at 50m and 9" at 100m (5 round groups) today. With enough research and practice that will undoubtedly shrink but the Martini Henry was regarded as a major improvement in accuracy and the Lee Metfords and Lee Enfields even moreso. The Snider is basically tossing a heavy, squat .577 minie ball down range and that's not exactly the most aerodynamic shape ever devised.

E: On the plus side, Sniders are fun to shoot and fairly easy to reload for. And they don't savagely beat the poo poo out of you for having the audacity to shoot them (unlike the Martini).

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 17, 2021

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Thanks. I will think carefully about it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

Thanks. I will think carefully about it.

Yeah. Not sure what the Snider market is like in the US, but the current price is around where a cavalry carbine will sell in a lot of auctions after the currency conversion in Canada. It seems a touch pricey to me.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 17, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Double posted so it is visible:

A couple of more things:

1) The cadet carbines were cut down from longer Snider infantry rifles. They weren't rebarrelled; they were literally bobbed versions of a longer rifle. An infantry rifle has a 36.5" barrel with a 1:78" twist. A proper cavalry carbine has a 19.5" barrel with a 1:48" twist. The bobbed cadet carbines will have something like a 19.5" barrel with the rate of twist of the infantry rifle it once was. I am not an expert as such, but I do not think this aids accuracy much.

2) Canada did purchase cavalry carbines, but these were relatively few in number and all were of the Mk III pattern. The rifle in the listing that you provided is a Mk II** based on the markings on the receiver (and a few telltale signs like the breech latch) which lends credence to it being a cadet carbine.

I think it's certainly plausible that the rifle is a cadet carbine (though I cannot state that it is definitively so as these weren't particularly well documented). The Dominion of Canada markings are in the right place according to the period regulations (thanks Kupachek) suggesting that whatever it was before it became shortened, it was Canadian issue. That being said, I am extremely skeptical of the cadet carbines being particularly accurate... not that the Snider itself has a reputation for unerring accuracy anyways. If you want a Snider that shoots really well, look into a 2-band Sergeant's model-- those were optimized for accuracy at the time with polished locks for faster lock times, faster rifling and a slightly heavier barrel. If you want something that is an historical curiousity that can let the smoke out from time to time, this will do but the price seems high to me... but I am unsure of what the American Snider Enfield market looks like so this might be a screaming deal and I am just ignorant.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Someone else hit Buy It Now while I was comparing Snider prices, so I guess the point is moot.

FWIW there are seldom many of them on Gunbroker and most of the ones I've seen recently are Nepalese. The last Canadian one I can recall was priced rather higher.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Somebody Awful posted:

Someone else hit Buy It Now while I was comparing Snider prices, so I guess the point is moot.

FWIW there are seldom many of them on Gunbroker and most of the ones I've seen recently are Nepalese. The last Canadian one I can recall was priced rather higher.

I have a suspicion it was cut down post-service anyways. A few little things about it just seemed too off that my gut said it wasn't a cadet rifle.
Someone hitting BiN explains why the seller didn't bother responding to my request for some photos of the buttplate, muzzle, and underside of the barrel just ahead of the foreend. (I wanted to check patina, for toolmarks, and my suspicion is it was cut down by the second or third owner, long after being sold out of service. Unit markings were applied on the buttplates)
There is another Canadian Snider listed for 1500, but its not pretty. Seller has it marked as British, doesn't seem to know what the Dominion property stamp is. It's missing it's buttplate and striker nippple. I wouldn't buy it, especially for that price, but it is there.

Don't discount the Nepalese rifles entirely though. Some are British made Enfields converted to Snider-Enfields, some are domestic Snider-enfields made as a new rifle and the quality can be surprisingly good. (even in the IMA imports that showed up a few years ago)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wolverine posted a thing on facebook where the CFP is sending letters to firearm retailers asking them if they want a fast-tracked deactivation license or something because of the expected surge in demand. Not huge news but I found it interesting.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Runkle did a video on it. Essentially they are going to try and recruit gunsmiths to dewat as part of the buyback.

https://youtu.be/wUOZRVGvPWs

Some people are super pissed and demanding a boycot of anyone who accepts. I personally don't care that much, but anything that fucks with the plan & drives the price up is fine with me.

Thermos fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 17, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Runkle did a video on it. Essentially they are going to try and recruit gunsmiths to dewat as part of the buyback.

https://youtu.be/wUOZRVGvPWs

Some people are super pissed and demanding a boycot of anyone who accepts. I personally don't care that much, but anything that fucks with the plan & drives the price up is fine with me.

There are precious few true gunsmiths in this country anyways. Boycotting and driving a bunch of them out of business is a galaxy brained move that does nothing meaningful to stop what is happening and only hurts the shooting sports as a whole.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

I think honestly you can do a lot better than what was presented in that auction.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

There are precious few true gunsmiths in this country anyways. Boycotting and driving a bunch of them out of business is a galaxy brained move that does nothing meaningful to stop what is happening and only hurts the shooting sports as a whole.

Also dewatting is a necessary service for people who want to keep a prohib in the family for sentimental value. I can't fault any old fogies wanting to cash out on their 12.x guns either. They're worth far more as a decoration than a safe queen.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

kupachek posted:

Don't discount the Nepalese rifles entirely though. Some are British made Enfields converted to Snider-Enfields, some are domestic Snider-enfields made as a new rifle and the quality can be surprisingly good. (even in the IMA imports that showed up a few years ago)

Yeah, I know. I just really want one with original markings, and preferably Canadian markings for dumb family history reasons.

Fearless posted:

I think honestly you can do a lot better than what was presented in that auction.

I'll keep an eye out and see what else comes up.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Somebody Awful posted:

Yeah, I know. I just really want one with original markings, and preferably Canadian markings for dumb family history reasons.

I'll keep an eye out and see what else comes up.

That's not a dumb reason at all. Fearless is right though, you can do better than that one, it'll just take a little more time.

Unfortunately, the numbers are stacked a bit against you. There were somewhere in the neighbourhood of 62,000 Sniders* (closer to 61,000 to be more accurate) between the various marks and configurations, and they were used hard (As were the enfields before them). Some were destroyed through use and abuse, some through fires. (The Great Saint John Fire in 1877 alone destroyed 2204 arms of varying types, most of them believed to have been Sniders)
Once you go from broad to more finegrained, something like a Calvary Carbine Mk III, well, that was a pool of 2500 arms in total, and you can bet that fancy blue star of yours that the number dropped significantly between when they were purchased in 1871/72 and when the wholesale selling ($0.75 each, and condemmed rifles for $0.25) of obsolete Sniders occurred in 1898. And then you factor in the amount from the available pool that would have gone south of the border, and the pond gets mighty shallow quickly. It would look bleaker if I wrote out a breakdown of how many of each type of rifle there were, the numbers are pretty small all things considered.

Cadet Carbines, we don't really have records of. We have no real idea of how many of the sixty thousand rifles were cut down to spec, or how many survived, or what units they were originally issued to, apart from a case by case basis.

*I should clarify here, this is an optimistic number that's including Enfields that were potential conversions. The number of nominal Sniders was actually in the neighborhood of 55,000. I went with it because it was the upper end of my figures that I was crunching, but I shouldn't have because it can give a false impression because it's a bit of a leap to assume those 6 thousand rifles survived long enough to even be converted.

kupachek fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 17, 2021

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Might you have better luck getting one exported from Canada? afaik you don't even need a license to buy one here, there are a couple import/export companies that handle paperwork for a relatively small fee.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

large hands posted:

Might you have better luck getting one exported from Canada? afaik you don't even need a license to buy one here, there are a couple import/export companies that handle paperwork for a relatively small fee.

Considering they are antiques both sides of the border, it certainly simplifies things.

Not entirely sold on the idea of just letting him deplete our small pool of available one though. Thems takin' are gunz.

(Kidding, I think your idea has merit and should be looked into)

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Are you set on a carbine? "Snider MK1* Canadian Issue Rifle" https://www.joesalter.ca/products/snider-mk1-canadian-issue-rifle

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

large hands posted:

Are you set on a carbine? "Snider MK1* Canadian Issue Rifle" https://www.joesalter.ca/products/snider-mk1-canadian-issue-rifle

For what it's worth, Salter operates on both sides of the border, so they might even handle the export/import itself. It's something to look into.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

kupachek posted:

That's not a dumb reason at all.

It's dumb in the sense that I don't have anything that points to members of the family using Snider-Enfields specifically, I just wanted a Snider-Enfield and thought one with a connection to the old country would be cool. I do have some ancestors and great-great-uncles who carried Ross Mk IIIs and SMLEs, so one of these days I'm going to have to cough up for a notorious straight-pull.

Overall it sounds like I'm probably better off getting my Canadian milsurp fix from Long Branch, Inglis, or Diemaco stuff and picking up a Snider (or an 1853) with some other provenance. I do appreciate all the input, though!

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Somebody Awful posted:

It's dumb in the sense that I don't have anything that points to members of the family using Snider-Enfields specifically, I just wanted a Snider-Enfield and thought one with a connection to the old country would be cool. I do have some ancestors and great-great-uncles who carried Ross Mk IIIs and SMLEs, so one of these days I'm going to have to cough up for a notorious straight-pull.

Overall it sounds like I'm probably better off getting my Canadian milsurp fix from Long Branch, Inglis, or Diemaco stuff and picking up a Snider (or an 1853) with some other provenance. I do appreciate all the input, though!

Depending on where they hailed from, they very well could have a militia connection, which means possibly the Pattern 53, and then the Snider, and then into the Martini family. The issue there, is on my end I can only trace back to a certain point because a lot of the units have no surviving roll records, so I can really only get lists of officers through other means. That said, there were several periods where the units were rather brass heavy, because it was very much a social thing so that might yield something. Overall, the units tended to be, ineffectual, to put it in a kind manner. Not enough rifles, uniforms, funds, or time spent drilling. The Volunteer Movement is actually quite a fascinating chunk of history.

Inglis' and Long Branch's are easier to get stateside, Diemaco will be trickier due to the import restrictions. Diemaco started development of the C7 in early 1983, and then in early 1989 Bush I implemented the import ban. To compound that,there was also a non-competition agreement between them and Colt, which is why Diemaco and Colt Canada marked parts are unable to be shipped across the border, even when they would otherwise be eligible.

kupachek fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 18, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Very few Canadian militia members would have had access to Martinis through their service as the Militia never fully adopted them-- the ones that made their way here were generally for shooting teams and the Infantry School Corps (which eventually became the Royal Canadian Regiment). Indeed, Canada is the leading source of unadulterated Mk I Martinis as we never updated them to later standards like the British Army did.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

The hype is real.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'm very happy for you. If your experience is anything like mine with the Renegade, you're in for a treat.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

So is the Maverick just a larger-caliber-ready version of the Renegade? Or are there any other material differences?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Martytoof posted:

So is the Maverick just a larger-caliber-ready version of the Renegade? Or are there any other material differences?

It also has the bolt release that the current iteration of the Renegade lacks.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I'm sending off my C-21 letters to the PMO and my MP today, as well as calling my councilor to get a head start on boiling that ocean. I'm skipping the Minister's office this time because... why bother? Since my exposure is all on handguns and the potential for a no-knock raid brought by John/Jane Doe for laughs, I didn't include anything about the new rifle prohibitions in order to stay under two pages. Sorry, AR crew.

I think I've now typed more words than shot actual rounds since getting my PAL

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 23, 2021

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Shumagorath posted:

I'm sending off my C-21 letters to the PMO and my MP today, as well as calling my councilor to get a head start on boiling that ocean. I'm skipping the Minister's office this time because... why bother? Since my exposure is all on handguns and the potential for a no-knock raid brought by John/Jane Doe for laughs, I didn't include anything about the new rifle prohibitions. Sorry, AR crew.

I think I've now typed more words than shot actual rounds since getting my PAL

Hey, any more piss in this ocean of piss is welcome.

I'm going to go hard on my local reps when things get closer to materializing. Also going to be focusing on the handgun ban. Basically going to tell them my wife and I are looking to settle somewhere more permanently. Sport shooting is a big part of my recreation and will play a considerable factor in where we decide to move. I'm not living anywhere I am not welcome.

Probably won't accomplish anything but it's true and I feel it's likely the only way I won't be immediately dismissed.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Thermos posted:

Sport shooting is a big part of my recreation and will play a considerable factor in where we decide to move. I'm not living anywhere I am not welcome.

Probably won't accomplish anything but it's true and I feel it's likely the only way I won't be immediately dismissed.
Same, but LOL if I can even pretend that I'd exit the Toronto market after just buying in at the only dip in my lifetime. I'd keep my license for better times, but no way am I moving to loving Woodbridge over a pair of guns.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

https://twitter.com/Polysesouvient/status/1375510732708605956

That's uh wow..... Should I be cheering for Poly?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Ms. Provost wants it withdrawn and rewritten, so you'll have to think carefully.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I'll take "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" because PSS are pushing for mandatory buybacks of prohibs and a total handgun ban, both of which will be way harder (armoured car companies might even line up against the latter). I don't think this government wants to work that hard, nor do they want to deal with the inevitable charter challenge that results from the new red flag reporting.

Quote this post back to me in a year when they introduce an even worse bill and it and doesn't exempt me for having an IDPA card.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 27, 2021

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

It's going to die on the table at election time anyway, so when it comes back I'm sure they'll make it extra lovely.

If nothing else, maybe the Liberals will finally realize that PSS will never be happy and using them to push their gun control agenda is no longer worthwhile. A guy can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

With the Scorpion confined to the safe I picked up one of these for my Glock 48 on sale last week. I'll try it out next weekend but ten rounds vs 5 in a more compact and (i suspect) lighter recoiling package is somewhat of a consolation.