Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

large hands posted:

With the Scorpion confined to the safe I picked up one of these for my Glock 48 on sale last week. I'll try it out next weekend but ten rounds vs 5 in a more compact and (i suspect) lighter recoiling package is somewhat of a consolation.

Is the mag feeding from there or is that a spare? Does that whole thing attach like a slide replacement...?

Thermos posted:

It's going to die on the table at election time anyway, so when it comes back I'm sure they'll make it extra lovely.

If nothing else, maybe the Liberals will finally realize that PSS will never be happy and using them to push their gun control agenda is no longer worthwhile. A guy can dream.
I wrote as much to my MP, even if there's zero chance they'll ever been unseated.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Is the mag feeding from there or is that a spare? Does that whole thing attach like a slide replacement...?

I wrote as much to my MP, even if there's zero chance they'll ever been unseated.

Foregrip is a spare mag. The whole pistol locks into the frame, there's an ambi charging handle that grips the back of the slide.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

large hands posted:

Foregrip is a spare mag. The whole pistol locks into the frame, there's an ambi charging handle that grips the back of the slide.
Gotcha - I think I'm just used to seeing guns photographed loaded for no good reason, so when I couldn't see a floor plate in the grip I forgot this is the one place that doesn't do that

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If I ever get back into restricted shooting, it'll be for a G48 with carbine kit.

And maybe a Ruger Wrangler.

mewse
May 2, 2006

On May 1 it will be 1 year of their two year amnesty and there are no details of the buy back yet

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

The only detail we know is that IBM is supposed to be implementing it, who infamously botched the Phoenix pay system which is still facing issues to this day.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

took the glock 48/carbine to the range on monday and it was actually a good substitute for the scorpion evo. held zero, about as accurate and although its ugly i found it a little more ergonomic. plus twice the legal capacity and i think it was $250 well spent. i may still pick up one of those ruger pcc's but i feel that's kind of a different beast.

Jehde posted:

The only detail we know is that IBM is supposed to be implementing it, who infamously botched the Phoenix pay system which is still facing issues to this day.

m...maybe they'll screw up and give me extra money?

lol

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I really enjoyed the feel of the Scorpion Evo when I first held one, and when they finally showed up in Canada they were one of my "someday!" guns, then lol they got illegaled without me ever so much as being able to shoot one. Actually that also goes for a Steyr rifle I considered one of my "if I win the lotto" guns.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I really enjoyed the feel of the Scorpion Evo when I first held one, and when they finally showed up in Canada they were one of my "someday!" guns, then lol they got illegaled without me ever so much as being able to shoot one. Actually that also goes for a Steyr rifle I considered one of my "if I win the lotto" guns.

don't get me wrong, I love mine and spent hours and :tenbux: upgrading and tweaking it and absolutely wish I could shoot it. The time and effort I put into various guns making them just right for me that is now wasted really pisses me off.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

large hands posted:

took the glock 48/carbine to the range on monday and it was actually a good substitute for the scorpion evo. held zero, about as accurate and although its ugly i found it a little more ergonomic. plus twice the legal capacity and i think it was $250 well spent. i may still pick up one of those ruger pcc's but i feel that's kind of a different beast.

m...maybe they'll screw up and give me extra money?

lol

The Ruger PCC is pretty good for what it is, but definitely a different beast, more of a clunkier thing which is easier to sling up with. I'm still tempted to get a Glock carbine stock kit to compliment having a more "short arm" format to go with the more "long arm" format of the PCC.

Also I wouldn't hold my breath, they still owe me thousands.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 7, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Got the Renegade out to the range today for some load development. Went in with 100 rounds, 40 of which were just some quick but functional 55gn soft points that I wanted to use for some rough sighting in and generally farting around. These turned out to be decently accurate and I left the range giddy at the prospect of finally having shot a sub 1 MOA group with this rifle but it turns out I did not. I managed 1.164" and I think that a lot of this comes down to me getting sloppy with technique and also the stock trigger that migrated over from my AR. It's not the worst trigger I have in my gun collection (my Brown Bess wins that competition by a goddamned mile) but it is fairly heavy at around 7.5lbs and not as consistent as I might like. I have a CMC drop in trigger coming that should reduce that to a much nicer 3.5 lbs, but in future range days I need to be more disciplined.

That said, I did get some interesting and useful data out of the 60 round ladder that I prepared-- I did 10 rounds for 0.5gn steps from the starting point of 23.0gns of 4895 up to 25.5gns, all loaded with 55gn Hornady FMJ-BT bullets that I weighed out to get those as consistent as possible (all rounds in the ladder were loaded with projectiles weighing in at 54.9 gns). From the observed targets, this rifle and bullet combination seems to best agree with something close to 24.5gns of powder. This was independently corroborated by the bulk ammo that I brought, which was also loaded with around 24.5gns and shot quite well. I will probably have to set up another ladder to get an idea of what the sweet spot really is. I have also taken a real shine to an older Hornady beam scale that I got cheap a while back; it is calibrated, and I trust it a lot more than the Frankford Arsenal digital scale I have and it has made getting my powder charges consistent a lot easier.

And in other news, I scrounged a shitload of .223 brass of the range. An off duty RCMP officer who was practising with his patrol carbine gave me his expended brass so that was nice. I discovered that when I started reloading again last March I had purchased a carton of small rifle primers instead of a couple of packets, so I am well set for components aside from powder. I hope I can still find 4895 locally, or failing that 4064.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

That's great, looks promising! Had you done any load development prior to switching the parts over?

I wish you good luck finding powder. Everything I use has been sold out locally for a while. I will probably have to suck it up and order online.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Stupid Canada gunstuff question: are all/most gun parts disallowed for export from Hoserland? I know I'd looked at get a CAR lock ring (the original carbine type before castle nuts came about) but the company that had them claimed they couldn't be exported. Now, I found a different company that has the Griffin XM Linear Comp in stock (or so the website claims), but they don't export at all. Would that muzzle device be legally exportable to the US by a Canadian citizen?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Ygolonac posted:

Stupid Canada gunstuff question: are all/most gun parts disallowed for export from Hoserland? I know I'd looked at get a CAR lock ring (the original carbine type before castle nuts came about) but the company that had them claimed they couldn't be exported. Now, I found a different company that has the Griffin XM Linear Comp in stock (or so the website claims), but they don't export at all. Would that muzzle device be legally exportable to the US by a Canadian citizen?

I believe ChillyRabbit is most likely the one who is most up to date on the particulars, but in general we have pretty lax rules for export, the hassle that companies want to avoid is typically on the US import end, unless the company is one that has no clue what export requirements even exist. (a lot of things don't require a permit, and those that might you need to actually ask a govt department about, I think it's 'Global Affairs'?)

Unfortunately, the simplest way forward is to go with a company like Aztech Armory who has both US and Canadian business locations and does import/export and get them to bring one down. The lousy thing is the fee's tend to suck for such things.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Fees being what they are, I still heartily recommend Aztec. They've even changed parts on an order for me when I realized I needed something different, as they knew they could probably sell my original item to someone else.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Looking at Aztech's FAQ, it appears to be "import to Canada"-specific. In any event, they don't have this bad boy, but CTCSupplies.ca apparently does, or at least doesn't list it as out of stock/lets me add it to my cart.

Might just wait and see if Griffin will contact me about estimated lead time for a new run...

Thanks for the info, though!

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Ygolonac posted:

Looking at Aztech's FAQ, it appears to be "import to Canada"-specific. In any event, they don't have this bad boy, but CTCSupplies.ca apparently does, or at least doesn't list it as out of stock/lets me add it to my cart.

Might just wait and see if Griffin will contact me about estimated lead time for a new run...

Thanks for the info, though!

Oh shoot, sorry. I could have sworn they used to move stuff both ways.
My internet is barely functioning today (I live remote, and have bad weather right now, so signal is awful) so I couldn't load up the site to check what they currently offer. I haven't used them in about 5 years.
Prophet River is another of the better companies to deal with with Iporting, but it looks like Clay doesn't export to the US either..

Rather annoying considering you don't need an export permit for non-restricted or restricteds (for R's you do have to prove it left the country for it to be taken off the registry though), or for the bulk of plain parts (including the lock ring and muzlebrake), so I think the reluctance is purely due to the US end.

On the US side, it looks like you need to fill out a Form 6 since it would be considered a defense article.
Borderview has a form you can fill out for importing but I don't know if it will give you a quote at all? it does allow you to set the item as just parts, accessories, or ammunition at least.

I did a quick google to see if I could spot which retailer had the lockring and noticed a US based listing for a lockring for 25 bucks,
is this what you were wanting? (make sure you hit the radio button for the price to update with the new selection)
https://retrorifles.com/lock-ring-castle-nut-rare-hard-to-find/

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

That's great, looks promising! Had you done any load development prior to switching the parts over?

I wish you good luck finding powder. Everything I use has been sold out locally for a while. I will probably have to suck it up and order online.

I had done some workups with .223 back in New Brunswick before we moved and while the Renegade was still an AR-15, but that rifle was also set up to do some very different things than this one is-- namely, it was meant to be a functional AR for 2-gun competitions rather than set up for accuracy. Yesterday's ladder was the most systematic work I have done on accuracy with this rifle to date, and I get to do it again! No 4895 to be found in Vancouver, but I did get some 4064 which has also run well out of the AR and is pretty close in burn rate to 4895.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

kupachek posted:

Oh shoot, sorry. I could have sworn they used to move stuff both ways.
My internet is barely functioning today (I live remote, and have bad weather right now, so signal is awful) so I couldn't load up the site to check what they currently offer. I haven't used them in about 5 years.
Prophet River is another of the better companies to deal with with Iporting, but it looks like Clay doesn't export to the US either..

Rather annoying considering you don't need an export permit for non-restricted or restricteds (for R's you do have to prove it left the country for it to be taken off the registry though), or for the bulk of plain parts (including the lock ring and muzlebrake), so I think the reluctance is purely due to the US end.

On the US side, it looks like you need to fill out a Form 6 since it would be considered a defense article.
Borderview has a form you can fill out for importing but I don't know if it will give you a quote at all? it does allow you to set the item as just parts, accessories, or ammunition at least.

I did a quick google to see if I could spot which retailer had the lockring and noticed a US based listing for a lockring for 25 bucks,
is this what you were wanting? (make sure you hit the radio button for the price to update with the new selection)
https://retrorifles.com/lock-ring-castle-nut-rare-hard-to-find/

Retro Rifles is problematic - they *list* lots of things, and sometimes people get them, and sometimes in a timely manner. My experience was ordering two things, getting one, and having no contact trying to find out about the other until I told them I was disputing the charge. At which time they "updated" me simply to reset the clock on the dispute. Still no contact nor item, bank credited me back, *six months* after the initial order (and a full month after the bank closed out the dispute) I get an "update" cancelling the rest of the order.

Every supplier of those lock rings has repros, some of shittier quality. The Canadian supplier (Nordic Marksman) had actual Colt/Diemaco ones, but no more. They do have a vinyl acetate C8 CAR stock, though, at non-exorbitant pricing, but non-exportable.

Fake edit: CTCS got back to me, they're actually in stock, and can ship via Borderview; awaiting their reply now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

The Canadian supplier (Nordic Marksman) had actual Colt/Diemaco ones, but no more. They do have a vinyl acetate C8 CAR stock, though, at non-exorbitant pricing, but non-exportable.

Umm it looks like it's $140 then you click the "grade 2" which is the only option and it jumps to 389 cad

https://www.nordicmarksman.com/Early-Vinyl-Acetate-coated-Aluminum-C8-Buttstock.html

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Ygolonac posted:

Retro Rifles is problematic - they *list* lots of things, and sometimes people get them, and sometimes in a timely manner. My experience was ordering two things, getting one, and having no contact trying to find out about the other until I told them I was disputing the charge. At which time they "updated" me simply to reset the clock on the dispute. Still no contact nor item, bank credited me back, *six months* after the initial order (and a full month after the bank closed out the dispute) I get an "update" cancelling the rest of the order.

Every supplier of those lock rings has repros, some of shittier quality. The Canadian supplier (Nordic Marksman) had actual Colt/Diemaco ones, but no more. They do have a vinyl acetate C8 CAR stock, though, at non-exorbitant pricing, but non-exportable.

Fake edit: CTCS got back to me, they're actually in stock, and can ship via Borderview; awaiting their reply now.

The C8 stock, I think can't be shipped due to stuff around the non-competition agreement that was originally between Diemaco and Colt from the initial licensing, even though Colt ended up owning both in the end before CZ bought them up.

Hopefully CTCS does you well.

I used to know a few guys with Diemaco C7/C8 builds, so I can always poke around and see if anyone is wiling to part with a lockring since at the moment prospects for keeping the rifles aren't so good, but it's not something I'd hold breathe over. Most guys are holding out hope it'll be reversed, so it might take a while before anyone bites. If I can turn one up that way, then we can look into the paperwork aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

mewse posted:

Umm it looks like it's $140 then you click the "grade 2" which is the only option and it jumps to 389 cad

https://www.nordicmarksman.com/Early-Vinyl-Acetate-coated-Aluminum-C8-Buttstock.html

Yup, and I'm usually seeing these running $500 US or so. Not moving on GB, unless dude has a supply and is throwing more up as they sell. Some are moving on Arfcom's Equipment Exchange.

I can live without the Absolute Perfectly Correct And Authentic Retro, myself, especially given what some folks want for stuff. Original 20" AR barrel for $1000, for example. (Chrome-lined, correct early makings, 1:12 twist, yadda yadda is this thing even gonna be shot or placed lovingly in a glass case to be admired...)

kupachek posted:

The C8 stock, I think can't be shipped due to stuff around the non-competition agreement that was originally between Diemaco and Colt from the initial licensing, even though Colt ended up owning both in the end before CZ bought them up.

Hopefully CTCS does you well.

I used to know a few guys with Diemaco C7/C8 builds, so I can always poke around and see if anyone is wiling to part with a lockring since at the moment prospects for keeping the rifles aren't so good, but it's not something I'd hold breathe over. Most guys are holding out hope it'll be reversed, so it might take a while before anyone bites. If I can turn one up that way, then we can look into the paperwork aspect.

Nah, I was looking last summer, and ended up getting a couple of the better repro items from a much better supplier than Retro. Thanks anyway!

I should ask if Borderview might be willing to add a few bottles ten cases of cider to the shipment - I miss my peach cider *so* much...