Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t think I have anything that old, and honestly not really looking to expand my collection any time soon in the current climate. I think I’ll just see what I can get to firm up my alloy?

But that’s cool, I didn’t realize I could buy cast projectiles, that never really occurred to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Martytoof posted:

I don’t think I have anything that old, and honestly not really looking to expand my collection any time soon in the current climate. I think I’ll just see what I can get to firm up my alloy?

But that’s cool, I didn’t realize I could buy cast projectiles, that never really occurred to me

Buying cast is good if you either don't have the equipment to pour your own, or the space (like apartment dwellers), or if you need a diameter/weight combination that you can't get a mold for.

You can always check the stamping on wheel weights and use a couple appropriate ones for firming things up.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Martytoof posted:

Lyman #2 alloy is a mix of 90% lead, 5% each tin and antimony. As I understand it, the tin and antimony are mainly there to reduce the surface tension of the lead so that you get better flow into the bullet mold-- in essence, the alloy flows into the details of the mold. I have used vulcanized rubber molds to cast lead and tin soldiers in the past and a tin/antimony alloy captures the details of the mold far, far better than just straight up lead. It also hardens the bullet slightly, ostensibly leading to less leading (but decent lube also has a lot to do with this). So find some tin to toss into your alloy and off you go, though from memory tin tends to oxidize at high temperature so you want to creep up on your casting temperature rather than burn the living poo poo out of it.

So yeah, find some tin and/or antimony and off you go!

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

This is great info thank you! We’re getting into perfect “I can do this in my backyard without freezing” temperature too.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Martytoof posted:

This is great info thank you! We’re getting into perfect “I can do this in my backyard without freezing” temperature too.

You ever check out Humasson for your reloading stuff?
They're just down the road in Ancaster, only problem is they're only open Monday to Friday like 8-5 or so.

I don't reload, so I don't know if their prices are good or bad though.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

You reloading types are definitely braver than I am. I hesitate to clean my gear within 10ft of anywhere I eat (yay condo living), so any lead not copper jacketed and flying away from me is bad news. What kind of precautions do you take at the reloading bench?

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

You ever check out Humasson for your reloading stuff?
They're just down the road in Ancaster, only problem is they're only open Monday to Friday like 8-5 or so.

I don't reload, so I don't know if their prices are good or bad though.

I haven’t, actually. I keep meaning to since they’re literally a five minute drive down the road from me, but right now I haven’t had reloading on my mind. I will check with them to see what they’ve got going on though.

Now that I mostly work from home it’s super easy to hit them up during business hours. Before it was a pain since I had to get home from Toronto first :|

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I haven't seen the Pre-Owned section of Firearms Outlet this busy since I started the hobby. Do you think everyone reduced their exposure to lovely legislation or just got frustrated at ranges being closed?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

You reloading types are definitely braver than I am. I hesitate to clean my gear within 10ft of anywhere I eat (yay condo living), so any lead not copper jacketed and flying away from me is bad news. What kind of precautions do you take at the reloading bench?

My workbench is right next to my apartment kitchen and my blood tests have always come back fine, although I only ever work with jacketed or plated rounds.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Shumagorath posted:

Spent primers are a larger source of contamination than the lead projectiles. As long as you keep your workspace clean and wash yourself up, it's not much to worry about.

A friend of mine wears nitrile gloves when loading just to keep contact down. I don't bother with that but i clean the floor after depriming and give it a damp cloth once over (its own cloth, not a dishcloth) and scrub my hands before i handle other stuff.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I lucked out on a CMC tactical AR-15 drop in trigger in an auction that takes the trigger weight from 7-8lbs down to an extremely crisp 3.5lbs. This, naturally, went into my Renegade and I got so excited while removing the mil-spec AR trigger that I forgot that it can indeed launch itself in pieces all over hell and creation, which it promptly did. The drop in trigger required some fitting-- the opening that the trigger itself drops into was a smidge too tight so I had to go back in there with some abrasives and very gently relieve the edges to let the trigger move freely. This took a couple of minutes, and now everything is running smoothly. I have not gotten to the range recently as BC is getting hit hard by its third wave, but I am hopeful that in a couple of weeks things will have calmed down enough that I can get back out and see the difference that the new trigger makes.

Oh, and my old reloading bench fell apart under the stress of resizing Martini Henry and Snider Enfield cases so I built a new one out of scrap wood. It cost me absolutely nothing!

Still have to tidy it up though. It looks as if a grenade went off.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Once in a while, dumb late night purchases occur, especially when there is no one to talk me out of it.

But, aforementioned dumb purchases can be worthwhile. (at least, that's the lie I've been telling myself.)

So, this one fits nicely in with the other books I have that touch on the rifle, as well as all the primary documents I have in my reference library. I have several other books by Phillips already, so I know what kind of quality his research is. (I also have scans of some of his old advertisements from the 60's when he was looking to buy certain rifles to document them.)

So far I only opened to a few random pages, but I more or less like what I see. Lots of good stuff in here to absorb. Many photos.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

My maverick still hasn't shipped

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Hopefully it does soon. Did you settle on a barrel for it yet?

I'm really digging the Anti-Tank Ross, but I feel like something a little beefier than an 8mm cartridge is needed for the role. Darn crazy Johnny Canuck.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

If that wasn't in the Ross book I'd swear it was something a child doodled in their school notebook. Its definitely serving me tankgewehr M1918 vibes though.

Haven't had much luck with a shorty barrel, I guess I'll stick with the 22" 6.5cm for now.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I'm thinking about a fun .22 revolver. Tenda has a .22 Heritage Rough Rider for $200, anything obviously horrible about this for a fun time plinker?

At $200 even if it does get banned at some point I can't be too broken up about it.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Thermos posted:

If that wasn't in the Ross book I'd swear it was something a child doodled in their school notebook. Its definitely serving me tankgewehr M1918 vibes though.

Haven't had much luck with a shorty barrel, I guess I'll stick with the 22" 6.5cm for now.

It looks like original documents are stored as a Secret and Confidential record and as such is in the Classified Storage Area? Not really sure what the odds are about seeing a copy of it fullsized.
I haven't looked at barrels/part prices since before the pandemic, but I'm assuming demand and importation issues have skewed the field a bunch.

Martytoof posted:

I'm thinking about a fun .22 revolver. Tenda has a .22 Heritage Rough Rider for $200, anything obviously horrible about this for a fun time plinker?

At $200 even if it does get banned at some point I can't be too broken up about it.

If it has both LR and WMR cyliinders, then stop hesitating.
Heck, at that price even if it's only LR, go for it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Martytoof posted:

It was a good price at $200 USD and I left that one behind. If I bothered to renew my restricted I'd buy it again for $200 CAD today.

No_talent
Jul 29, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Get it. I have a Ruger Wrangler and it's super fun.

If it can run .22 Short, get some. It's a hoot putting shorts in my Wrangler.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Just got an email about Campro bulk projectiles getting restocked. Picked up a thousand in 308, which will hopefully last a while.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Is there a regulation on magazine capacity for lever action centre fires?
I haven't really tested it out, but I get the impression that my .30-30 might hold more than 5+1.
I've been able to get 4 snap caps in it, but I don't have any more than that so I can't verify until I either get more snap caps or load it with the real poo poo. And obvs I don't want to load it with the real poo poo till I'm at a range, and they're all closed atm.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

I haven't really tested it out, but I get the impression that my .30-30 might hold more than 5+1.
I've been able to get 4 snap caps in it, but I don't have any more than that so I can't verify until I either get more snap caps or load it with the real poo poo. And obvs I don't want to load it with the real poo poo till I'm at a range, and they're all closed atm.

Non restricted manually cycled rifles have no magazine restrictions outside of any hunting regulations you may have to observe if you're actively hunting with them.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Manual action centerfire has no magazine limit set.
Enjoy.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

kupachek posted:

Manual action centerfire has no magazine limit set.
Enjoy.

Now to find a Canadian supplier for this: https://riflemags.co.uk/lucky-13-browning-blr-81-9-round-308-243-magazine/

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Lucky 13 is an Australian company, so the main hurdle is going to be on the export end, rather than import on this end. The magazine is $140aus before you start adding in transport and paperwork fees.
To add to that, they are winding down operations, so not making them anymore. That means limited supply and rising prices.
I offer condolences to your wallet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I haven't bought a new gun in forever, but was sure tempted by the Rough Rider sale. But a $259 gun somehow turns my cart into $500 when I poked around a bit more... Ammo here, an optic on sale there, drat.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Alex Colville's waterfront cabin in Nova Scotia is up for sale by the family.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/painter-alex-colvilles-self-designed-waterfront-cabin-put-on-the-market

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 30, 2021

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Ahhh drat that is extremely cool! I just picked up another book about him recently.

I wonder how absurdly over asking price it'll go for.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Supposedly the RCMP has been keeping a copy of the Long gun Registry again.

quote:

When criminal defence lawyer Ed Burlew was sifting through the documents sent over by a Crown prosecutor regarding his client, one jumped out. It was proof that the RCMP had kept a copy of the gun registry despite Parliament ordering it destroyed in 2012.

The long-gun registry was brought into being in 1995 with Bill C-68 but was done away with after the passage of Bill C-19 in 2012.

Yet, here was Burlew looking at a document from 2019 with information that could only have come from the registry.

“I was shocked and disgusted,” Burlew told me. “They kept it, it’s a secret file.”

“This shows that there is someone within the RCMP who has deliberately lied to Parliament and the courts.”

The document that Burlew uncovered was prepared by the Registrar of Firearms, part of the RCMP, and sent to the OPP for a case they were working on.

That document contains not only the serial number of each firearm seized but also the Firearm Identification Number, a number that would not exist or be attached to the rifles and shotguns seized without a copy of the registry existing.

Might be a nothing burger, but yeah great fun.... Pretty disillusioned with the government in general and the police.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

At this point it really is a nothingburger.

Recent events have shown that knowing whether the person owns a gun, either legally or illegally, does very little to prompt action by the RCMP that they haven't already decided to take.

As far as the horse cops are concerned as long as you aren't threat to capital you can go right ahead and gear up for your little murder spree.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Chillyrabbit posted:

Supposedly the RCMP has been keeping a copy of the Long gun Registry again.

Might be a nothing burger, but yeah great fun.... Pretty disillusioned with the government in general and the police.

It's been a long time since it was discussed, but I believe Harper slipped in a little thing to protect the RCMP from repercussions for keeping the registry.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

As far as the horse cops are concerned as long as you aren't threat to capital you can go right ahead and gear up for your little murder spree.

Pretty much. Still probably worthwhile to minimize poo poo they can use to gently caress you with.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I'm not terribly worried about it being used against me but I feel it's still important to call them out on stuff like this at every opportunity.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Yeah I agree. That is awful, maybe not in a "so what?" answer kind of way, but more in that they were lawfully ordered to and didn't, and lied about it in the process.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if I can use the same destruction method for my AR15 next May

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I just completed my first (of for sure many) Mapleseed events this past Saturday. Is there any interest in a (semi) detailed post on the event?

Also, Ian Runkle is a chill dude and based on personality, is basically an SA goon and would fit right in here. He was one of the 7 other attendees.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

YES! I am supremely interested in hearing about it.

I'd love to do one but they're always a prohibitively long drive away. I guess I'll have to just get over it and do a long trip for one of these opportunities.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

I was setting up to try mapleseed when covid hit, hopefully they come to Vancouver Island again someday. Definitely interested in your experience.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

If you meet Ian Runkle again I'll buy him an account (hoping we wouldn't drive him off somehow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Retaining the registry data is a big deal in that the Canadian government has demonstrated time and again that the only way for it to securely hold on to data is to not have it in the first place. That the registry still exists is a problem less because of what the government may do with it, but rather the privacy implications of a leak or breach.