Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah I agree. That is awful, maybe not in a "so what?" answer kind of way, but more in that they were lawfully ordered to and didn't, and lied about it in the process.

For a non-firearm parallel of this behavior of ignoring the law that was in the news only about a week ago,

quote:

Court heard the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, or IHIT, had a long-standing policy not to apply to a judge for evidence extension orders under Section 490 of the Criminal Code.

It began when police learned in 2007 they were contravening the charter by not asking for the continued detention of the evidence.

A memo went out to officers telling them to avoid seeking detention on evidence orders in cases where doing so would draw the judge's attention to their non-compliance, the decision reads. “The IHIT policy of non-compliance amounts to systemic, flagrant disregard for charter-protected rights. While I cannot with certainty attribute to the police a deliberate decision not to comply with the charter, I find that the RCMP was at best willfully blind towards the charter implications of the policy and of the over-holding generally,” Masuhara said in his ruling.

“There is something particularly concerning about a police policy of deliberate non-compliance with mandated requirements due to the unilateral prioritization of their preferred investigative methods over following the law.”

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/police-s-flagrant-disregard-for-evidence-policies-may-impact-hundreds-of-cases-says-judge-1.5401544

Shumagorath posted:

If you meet Ian Runkle again I'll buy him an account (hoping we wouldn't drive him off somehow).

Ian R has a Discord account (I just checked my message list and he's even online right this moment), and he's fairly open to 'cold messages' on it, email, as well as his reddit account, so you can always initiate contact through one of those avenues.
He's a good dude in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I would've bet money that Ian is/was a goon at some point.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

>_>

Kobbo_Fett
Dec 5, 2016

Boba? Never heard of 'im.

<_<

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

When the Fett's are out, you know what to serve for dinner at least.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Skip the zucchini

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Skip the zucchini

To paraphrase mothers everywhere; "You won't even taste it."
But alright, as dinner guests you have a degree of input.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I made broccoli pasta once, using the leaves and cores of the stems and everything, I loved it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Broccolini gommae is loving amazing and everyone should try it

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

I made broccoli pasta once, using the leaves and cores of the stems and everything, I loved it.

That looks good, the "recipe" above, not so much...

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Thank allah I got my license after the registry was destroyed stopped having information added to it.
Not that I have anything that I'm not allowed to have but still that poo poo creeps me out.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Thank allah I got my license after the registry was destroyed stopped having information added to it.
Not that I have anything that I'm not allowed to have but still that poo poo creeps me out.

Actually, we don't even know if that's actually the case.
C-71 added both the requirement for private sales to call the CFO for verification and a ID as well as businesses to start retaining records again, and it amended Harper's backdated changes to the privacy act and ATIP, so odds are pretty good they have a shadow registry in place, even if it's still patchy. Considering the RCMP monitors firearms sites (CGN, reddit's CanadaGuns, etc) it's trivial to link firearm collections and a individuals username to a real name if they post something identifiable like a R's serial, or even a unique set of R's. then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks. They've demonstrated repeatedly over the last few years they are willing to subvert the law to achieve their goals (or to cover something up) so they no longer get the benefit of the doubt in my eyes. Can't really trust them.

large hands posted:

That looks good, the "recipe" above, not so much...

I agree, it looks darn tasty.
Everytime I see the SW one it bugs me that they'd neglect the stalks. It's from a cookbook that's more or less aimed at making meal prep fun for kids, which might be why.

edit;
I haven't been paying attention to the news at all recently, so only because of this registry data bit did I discover they raided a chap in Alberta who had both an AK-47 and an AK-74

https://globalnews.ca/news/7820562/rcmp-counter-terror-unit-parkland-county-weapons-threats/

kupachek fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 4, 2021

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kupachek posted:

Actually, we don't even know if that's actually the case.
C-71 added both the requirement for private sales to call the CFO for verification and a ID as well as businesses to start retaining records again, and it amended Harper's backdated changes to the privacy act and ATIP, so odds are pretty good they have a shadow registry in place, even if it's still patchy. Considering the RCMP monitors firearms sites (CGN, reddit's CanadaGuns, etc) it's trivial to link firearm collections and a individuals username to a real name if they post something identifiable like a R's serial, or even a unique set of R's. then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks. They've demonstrated repeatedly over the last few years they are willing to subvert the law to achieve their goals (or to cover something up) so they no longer get the benefit of the doubt in my eyes. Can't really trust them.

Awww gently caress. You're right. When did that go in to effect? Or has it gone in to effect?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Awww gently caress. You're right. When did that go in to effect? Or has it gone in to effect?

Heck, don't know offhand. I don't think I've bought anything new since the changes?
We need ChillyRabbit and his encyclopedic knowledge of whats in force.

I did just stmble across a 4 hour old article from Newfoundland though that answers a question regarding safe storage.

The TL;DR is a fellow was storing his rifles and ammunition in a padlocked display case, and the keys were stored stashed away in a drawer underneath it.
The judge has ruled this was in fact safe storage. How far away we store our keys to be compliant is a reoccurring question that no one really had a good answer for. Personally, I store my main set of keys (for the safes as well as trigger and cable locks) locked in a small safe with electronic access that I keep cash, jewelry, passport, airpistols etc in.

quote:

A rifle in a gun cabinet with the keys kept in another compartment of the same case meet the law’s requirements of safe storage, a Newfoundland judge ruled recently.

Judge Harold Porter presided over William Barry’s trial in provincial court in Grand Bank on March 25.

Barry was charged with careless storage of a rifle and ammunition stemming from an incident in which police responded to an alleged complaint of assault on Nov. 16, 2020.

Porter gave his written decision in the case on April 28, acknowledging he was “not satisfied beyond reasonable doubt” that Barry’s storage of a .22-calibre rifle and ammunition violated the Criminal Code, and acquitted him of both charges.

According to Porter’s decision, police investigating the alleged assault found several long guns belonging to Barry in a gun cabinet with broken glass in the door as well as some ammunition elsewhere in the same room.

quote:

There is no requirement under the law for firearms and ammunition to be kept in separate rooms and the regulations are “silent” about the storing of keys, Porter noted.

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/news/canada/newfoundland-man-acquitted-of-careless-storage-of-rifle-and-ammunition-100583625/

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I go above and beyond the storage laws, but I'm thankful they're open to reasonable interpretation. I flat out don't have room for a six-side tool resistant safe and couldn't bolt it to the floor without making the condo corp very angry.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

I'm only encyclopedic by just knowing where to look for information. In this case no, the requirements for businesses to record your PAL information and get a reference number is not in effect after reading the current Firearms Act.

When it does come into effect every firearms business will let you know, since it has to be activated by an Order in Council. This is the section to look out for section 58 under the Firearms act, for retailers recording your information (which is not currently in effect). Ontario though still has their provincial ammunition record keeping laws.

C-71 posted:

Conditions — licence issued to business
58.‍1 (1) A chief firearms officer who issues a licence to a business must attach the following conditions to the licence:
(a) the business must record and, for the prescribed period, keep the prescribed information that relates to the business’ possession and disposal of non-restricted firearms;
(b) the business must record and — for a period of 20 years from the day on which the business transfers a non-restricted firearm, or for a longer period that may be prescribed — keep the following information in respect of the transfer:
(i) the reference number issued by the Registrar,
(ii) the day on which the reference number was issued,
(iii) the transferee’s licence number, and
(iv) the firearm’s make, model and type and, if any, its serial number; and
(c) the business must, unless otherwise directed by a chief firearms officer, transmit any records containing the information referred to in paragraph (a) or (b) to a prescribed official if it is determined that the business will cease to be a business.
Destruction of records
(2) The prescribed official may destroy the records transmitted to them under paragraph (1)‍(c) at the times and in the circumstances that may be prescribed.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm only encyclopedic by just knowing where to look for information. In this case no, the requirements for businesses to record your PAL information and get a reference number is not in effect after reading the current Firearms Act.

When it does come into effect every firearms business will let you know, since it has to be activated by an Order in Council. This is the section to look out for section 58 under the Firearms act, for retailers recording your information (which is not currently in effect). Ontario though still has their provincial ammunition record keeping laws.

Thank you for your encyclopedic knowledge!

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Shumagorath posted:

I go above and beyond the storage laws, but I'm thankful they're open to reasonable interpretation. I flat out don't have room for a six-side tool resistant safe and couldn't bolt it to the floor without making the condo corp very angry.

Trigger and cable locks are cheaper than a lawyer in any case.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I'm only encyclopedic by just knowing where to look for information.

Hey, I'm trying to compliment you, work with me here.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I replaced my safe keys with a combination tumbler, I hope I didn’t violate some obscure safe storage law

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Martytoof posted:

I replaced my safe keys with a combination tumbler, I hope I didn’t violate some obscure safe storage law

Only permissible if you changed it at 3:02am on an idle tuesday while wearing woolen trousers.

Nah, that kind of thing is fine. It's still up for debate if leaving the combination dialed in (or one digit/turn off) is alright or not, but use your best judgment and avoid the dumbest options.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I leave it dialed in to 665 to make people think I'm both stupid and an unbearably bland person

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Martytoof posted:

I leave it dialed in to 665 to make people think I'm both stupid and an unbearably bland person

I set the dials on my combo triggerlocks to resemble the caliber, so if you grab a rifle, it'll be sitting on "022", "223","762","792" or something like that. I don't know why, I just do. I change the actual combinations of them up every once in a while, but always leave them sitting showing the caliber when I put them away.

No_talent
Jul 29, 2009

Once, as I was digging through the keys to unlock my case (because I hadn't etched an identifier yet) the dude beside me at the range was making fun of me and explained how he only buys combo locks and sets the code to 001 for everything.

Or the dude that showed up with the loop on his levergun tied to the stock with a breakaway chain, like the bank uses to prevent pen theft.

Like a clear 60% of people I see only use that lovely little plastic trigger gaurd (because it's not a lock) that comes with most guns as their "lock" and move it around in a soft case or just loose.

The other 40% are the above and beyond types that bring things in locked hard cases, with cable and trigger locks, bolts pulled/uppers and lowers seperated/slides and frames seperated.

It's wild.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I just use a basic trigger lock & combo hard case because unless it's in a safe bolted to the floor, any thief is just going to take it home and open it with power tools.

Realistically the lock is only to keep children or dumb adults from loving around with it while your back is turned.

Edit: My safe at home is bolted to the floor, not that it has stopped people from being charged with unsafe storage

Thermos fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 4, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Well you don't want this to happen to you at the range, do you?

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

You’re at a range, just get someone to shoot the lock off

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Someone at my local range actually had a masterkey on his AR.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Just pick the lock

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hey this is a gun range not a hackerspace d00d

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Martytoof posted:

You’re at a range, just get someone to shoot the lock off

I did this one of my first hunting trips, I had forgotten the key to the cable lock for my deer rifle and I had wrapped it so tight we couldn't fit some tin snips around it but I did also have a .22 rifle. Most stressful trigger pull I've ever experienced

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Aces High posted:

I did this one of my first hunting trips, I had forgotten the key to the cable lock for my deer rifle and I had wrapped it so tight we couldn't fit some tin snips around it but I did also have a .22 rifle. Most stressful trigger pull I've ever experienced

Wait, it actually worked?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it didn't completely defeat the lock, but what we did was angle it so that enough of a loop (since this was one of those freebie, came in the box cable locks) was away from the rifle and the bullet would ricochet away if it didn't just go straight into the ground. The end result was a cable that was damaged enough that we could fit the snips around it to finish the job.

I used to have a photo of the before and after to remind myself of the importance of always remembering your keys (or to switch to combination locks) but that was over a decade ago and probably 2 or 3 computers ago so now I just have the memories.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There was a fellow at the range recently who was definitely not a law enforcement officer and was shooting an AR-15. I tried explaining to him that those had been prohibited and he was taking a serious risk by transporting it, but he didn't seem to understand as there seems to be a language barrier. I don't know about the rest of Canada, but on the west coast I think there will be cases of non-compliance that occur because folks just don't understand what has happened and may not be keeping up on the legislation/OiCs, etc.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Key chat:

My first ipsc provincials, I forgot the key to the gun case *and* the trigger lock. Switched to combo locks immediately after that.

On a completely unrelated note, hauling all of your tools around with you comes in pretty handy.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Fearless posted:

There was a fellow at the range recently who was definitely not a law enforcement officer and was shooting an AR-15. I tried explaining to him that those had been prohibited and he was taking a serious risk by transporting it, but he didn't seem to understand as there seems to be a language barrier. I don't know about the rest of Canada, but on the west coast I think there will be cases of non-compliance that occur because folks just don't understand what has happened and may not be keeping up on the legislation/OiCs, etc.

A notice was sent to everybody with a registered firearm. Anybody who claims ignorance is going to be examined to see if their restricted firearms were unregistered, or if they haven't been keeping up with the legal requirement to have an accurate address on file.

Key chat:

All of my firearms, R and NR, have combo trigger locks. The combo is all set to the same number. When I'm transporting Rs, they go into a plastic gun case, with sturdy padlocks, which will no doubt remain securely fastened while the thin metal hinge pins easily yield to a nominal amount of force. NRs tend to just get wrapped up in a blanket in the trunk because who wants to lug around a bunch of long cases?

The real question is, how many people store their powder properly?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

I have a revolver I haven’t fired in years at this point because it has a combo lock and I don’t remember the combo…someday I’ll find the time to try them all.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

I expect a lot of people to get hit by this in the coming years if the oic sticks around. Not so much the ARs or other restricted, but m305s, vz58s and such.

You still hear stories of old geezers getting in trouble because they had a FAL or something at the back of their safe they never even realized went prohib decades ago.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

I have a revolver I haven’t fired in years at this point because it has a combo lock and I don’t remember the combo…someday I’ll find the time to try them all.

You can probably look up a youtube video of whatever combo lock it is and break it in 60 seconds

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

No_talent posted:

slides and frames seperated.
Ooh, I should start doing that around the IPSC guys who claim cable locks through the feed path wreck your spring. Too bad I'd need new foam cut-outs for my P226.

(Spoiler: It doesn't - only dynamic forces do that to any real extent vs having the slide closed on a 1cm diameter cable. I think.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

I expect a lot of people to get hit by this in the coming years if the oic sticks around. Not so much the ARs or other restricted, but m305s, vz58s and such.

You still hear stories of old geezers getting in trouble because they had a FAL or something at the back of their safe they never even realized went prohib decades ago.

Or all the stuff that got reclassified with little to no notification after the OiC was introduced. That's really going to hurt folks.