Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fearless posted:

Or all the stuff that got reclassified with little to no notification after the OiC was introduced. That's really going to hurt folks.

Hey, gently caress you pal!
Why do you hate safety and love crime so much?

CRIME LOVER!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I totally forgot about those. I've been seeing lots of SLR, ATRS and SAI reciever sets on gunpost and the nutz. People either don't know or don't care.

I imagine those will end up getting settled in court even if ATRS lawsuit doesn't. Maybe the RCMP will actually be forced to define what the gently caress a variant actually is.

There are so many more though (thinking especially of the big bore rifles) that you would have no idea about unless you check armalytics.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

I totally forgot about those. I've been seeing lots of SLR, ATRS and SAI reciever sets on gunpost and the nutz. People either don't know or don't care.

I imagine those will end up getting settled in court even if ATRS lawsuit doesn't. Maybe the RCMP will actually be forced to define what the gently caress a variant actually is.

There are so many more though (thinking especially of the big bore rifles) that you would have no idea about unless you check armalytics.

I mean potentially there are a whole lot of Mossberg 715T and ancient shotgun owners (and loads of others) who are operating off the assumption that the OiC affects only owners of restricted rifles and are in for a really rude shock at some point. None of these arms are registered, so the argument that they were informed by mail falls pretty flat.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Fearless posted:

I mean potentially there are a whole lot of Mossberg 715T and ancient shotgun owners (and loads of others) who are operating off the assumption that the OiC affects only owners of restricted rifles and are in for a really rude shock at some point. None of these arms are registered, so the argument that they were informed by mail falls pretty flat.

The mailers had nothing to do with registered firearms. I got a mailer and I don't have any restricteds.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I got a mailer and I don't have any long guns. I think it was everyone with a license.

e: vvv Hadn't thought of that. It's like this whole campaign was created to generate billable hours; everyone on all sides is going to have to defend something in court. vvv

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 5, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There were two letters. The first was an alert that you may perhaps be in possession of a firearm that had been impacted by the recent OiC. The second was the notification that specific firearms registrations had been nullified-- I got one for my AR-15. To the best of my knowledge, nobody got nullification/reclassification notices for their Iver Johnson shotguns that were made in the 1920s or their .22 rifles in tactical clamshells.

If you didn't own a restricted rifle, I think you could be easily forgiven (by a reasonable person, if not law enforcement) if you got that first letter and then assumed it didn't apply to any guns you owned without further communication.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Well guess what IRUNGUNS is carrying

just
loving
GUESS

https://www.irunguns.ca/product_detail.php?p=pmag-gen2-223-remington-5-56-nato-30rd-call-of-duty-kenosha

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Yeesh.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

What does White Supremacist Ratfucker and IrunGuns have in common?

They both move guns across borders.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

They must have restocked

They were called out for it in the racism, etc. thread I believe.. but yeah. I won't be giving them a cent after seeing that. If you really want to hate humanity, see how many people were asking for them on cgn.

In other news, this happened.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thermos posted:

I'm calling the liberals on you

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Thermos posted:

If you really want to hate humanity, see how many people were asking for them on cgn.

Ugh I'll pass, there's only so much I can take per day.

Thermos posted:

Palette cleanser right here, nice.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Reading CGN outside of the EE reached the status of reading YouTube comments for me a long time ago. Actually CGN is worse and actively saps my will to care about Canadian gun rights.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Maverick quick impressions:

-I have never really done a complete build before, but it went together fairly easily. The instructions are decent.

-The firing pin retainer and takedown pins from my Stag were too large.

-The slot where the mag catch goes was out of spec. Took some time with the file and emery cloth to get it moving freely. Not a big deal but I expected better from a $900 reciever set.

-I still don't like the cocking handle. I have some ideas I'm going to try.

-Hiperfire trigger did not fit. There isn't room for the springs on top.

-It really didn't like the XCR mags. The shape of the upper stops them from seating fully. A little work on the corners of them with a dremel and now they seat fully and drop free.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I had a similar issue with the drop-in trigger I just installed in my Renegade. The trigger opening itself was ever so slightly tight and it kept the trigger from resetting until I relieved that channel with a file and some polishing sticks. I think most of it was down to the finish on the receiver, which seems rather thick. It runs freely now though and I am hoping to get it out to the range soon to see how much nicer a 3.5lb trigger is in practice over the ~8lb milspec that came from my AR-15.

Also, those Kenosha mags are loving gross.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

The only good thing about IRG is that they're getting roasted as traitors for offering to buy people's banned guns for export.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The only good thing about IRG is that they're getting roasted as traitors for offering to buy people's banned guns for export.

For an AR, it would have to be one they imported in the first place I think, because otherwise it's is not importable into the US.
That's the goofy hitch for sending stuff back, has to be through the original importer.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Some dealer on my side of the border listed seven Diemaco and Colt Canada complete uppers at the start of the week, ranging from an OG C8 to some fancy monolithic stuff.

Every single one got bid out of my budget range pretty much overnight.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Some dealer on my side of the border listed seven Diemaco and Colt Canada complete uppers at the start of the week, ranging from an OG C8 to some fancy monolithic stuff.

Every single one got bid out of my budget range pretty much overnight.

What's the appeal for non Canadians? Is diemaco seen as "executive colt" because the SAS use them or something?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

large hands posted:

What's the appeal for non Canadians? Is diemaco seen as "executive colt" because the SAS use them or something?

They are generally regarded as pretty top shelf. Lol that they are now verboten to us and we are stuck using crap like wk180s.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Some months ago I was perusing the court dockets in New Brunswick as I occasionally do to keep tabs on some of my former clients and their current endeavours. One entry stood out-- my former gun club, Springfield, had some sort of hearing scheduled. I wondered if this had something to do with recertification of the range, but life got busy (as it does) and I got distracted.

Today, Ian Runkle released this monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsZjqMBoMA

Turns out that Springfield took the Chief Firearms Officer of NB to court as she had attempted to circumvent the appeals process in section 74 of the Firearms Act by using language that was not found in the act itself. Normally if a CFO has concerns about a shooting facility, they can choose to refuse or revoke certification and the affected facility executive are given instructions on how to challenge this decision via section 74. In this instance, the CFO approved the certification of Springfield's excellent facilities but with a whopping 26 conditions added on to it, and then claimed that the club had no recourse for a challenge as they had not been refused. Sound familiar? Kinda like "you don't have recourse under section 74 because we nullified your registration, but did not revoke it?"

The CFO then claimed that the provincial court had no jurisdiction to hear the case... which the presiding judge shot down hard, citing one of Ian's own cases from 2015 dealing with the same subject as precedent. As you can imagine, Ian's pretty pleased with this. The judge then proceeded to rule in favour of Springfield in almost all of the CFO's conditions for a variety of reasons, including the CFO ignoring her own provincial regulations, failing to actually consider that Springfield's design exceeds those same regulations and for some pretty significant examples of overreach. In a couple of instances, the CFO claimed that her decisions were consistent with those made by the CFO of NS, so those conditions being overruled has opened a bunch of doors for clubs across the country to force errant CFOs to bowl in their own lanes once again.

I was a member of that club for a few years. It is an excellent place to shoot that has only gotten better with age and is a real treasure-- if you live in Atlantic Canada, you owe it to yourself to try and get out there for a shoot (they've got a 1km range with electronic targets and are, thanks to this ruling, now exploring avenues for night shoots). It also has a significant number of lawyers in its membership and I think the CFO of NB is probably beginning to regret antagonizing a club that has a bunch of people with the postnominals "QC" in their ranks.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I wish Toronto's municipal range ban had the same legal exhaust port

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

If anyone cares: After one year of being a very polite crank, the reply scores for Parliament Hill snail mail are now:

PMO: 2/2
Minister: 0/1 (soon to be 0/2)
MPs: 0/2

I'm not sure if "we'll forward this to the Minister" is better or worse than "tl;dr" but this beat their last reply time by a factor of five.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fearless posted:

Some months ago I was perusing the court dockets in New Brunswick as I occasionally do to keep tabs on some of my former clients and their current endeavours. One entry stood out-- my former gun club, Springfield, had some sort of hearing scheduled. I wondered if this had something to do with recertification of the range, but life got busy (as it does) and I got distracted.

Today, Ian Runkle released this monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsZjqMBoMA

Turns out that Springfield took the Chief Firearms Officer of NB to court as she had attempted to circumvent the appeals process in section 74 of the Firearms Act by using language that was not found in the act itself. Normally if a CFO has concerns about a shooting facility, they can choose to refuse or revoke certification and the affected facility executive are given instructions on how to challenge this decision via section 74. In this instance, the CFO approved the certification of Springfield's excellent facilities but with a whopping 26 conditions added on to it, and then claimed that the club had no recourse for a challenge as they had not been refused. Sound familiar? Kinda like "you don't have recourse under section 74 because we nullified your registration, but did not revoke it?"

The CFO then claimed that the provincial court had no jurisdiction to hear the case... which the presiding judge shot down hard, citing one of Ian's own cases from 2015 dealing with the same subject as precedent. As you can imagine, Ian's pretty pleased with this. The judge then proceeded to rule in favour of Springfield in almost all of the CFO's conditions for a variety of reasons, including the CFO ignoring her own provincial regulations, failing to actually consider that Springfield's design exceeds those same regulations and for some pretty significant examples of overreach. In a couple of instances, the CFO claimed that her decisions were consistent with those made by the CFO of NS, so those conditions being overruled has opened a bunch of doors for clubs across the country to force errant CFOs to bowl in their own lanes once again.

I was a member of that club for a few years. It is an excellent place to shoot that has only gotten better with age and is a real treasure-- if you live in Atlantic Canada, you owe it to yourself to try and get out there for a shoot (they've got a 1km range with electronic targets and are, thanks to this ruling, now exploring avenues for night shoots). It also has a significant number of lawyers in its membership and I think the CFO of NB is probably beginning to regret antagonizing a club that has a bunch of people with the postnominals "QC" in their ranks.

Dang, that sounds like a big deal. Thanks for the summary.

Apropos of nothing, a few years ago (well, probably more than few now) AB got a new CFO who immediately began playing FU games.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

If anyone cares: After one year of being a very polite crank, the reply scores for Parliament Hill snail mail are now:

PMO: 2/2
Minister: 0/1 (soon to be 0/2)
MPs: 0/2

I'm not sure if "we'll forward this to the Minister" is better or worse than "tl;dr" but this beat their last reply time by a factor of five.

Bill Blair seems to be where correspondence goes to die. My friends son was killed by prison guards and I contacted my MP who forwarded my concerns to Bill Blair and I haven't heard anything (death occured on valentine's day)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Eyes Have It posted:

Dang, that sounds like a big deal. Thanks for the summary.

Apropos of nothing, a few years ago (well, probably more than few now) AB got a new CFO who immediately began playing FU games.

I think it is a very, very big deal insofar as it gives gun clubs further recourse to push back against CFOs that are intent on exceeding their briefs-- and I wonder if the judge's rejection of the "revocation/refusal by any other name" shenanigans will have some impact on the challenges to the OiC as well.

Regarding Springfield itself: if you live in or close to the Fredericton area and you enjoy the shooting sports, join this club. New members that sign up after 1 September of a calendar year get membership for the balance of that year, and up to December of the next. Beyond that, a membership runs $150 per year for unlimited access to a club with a range out to 1km (with baffles for 200m, 400m and 600m), multiple 50 and 25m ranges for pistol and 2x 100m ranges for rifle work. There has also been talk of turning one of the 100m ranges into either a 300m range or perhaps a 360 degree range for tactical shooting. On top of this there are active groups for marksmanship events of just about every taste. It's one of the best gun clubs I have ever belonged to.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 11, 2021

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Great summary, the Runkle video is a tad long while it is very comprehensive.

That complete reversal of the range approval (conditional) has some interesting implications.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Took my Maverick to the range the other day.

https://youtu.be/90yVhpia_aw

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Good stuff! Hoping lockdown gets lifted this month so I can finally take the Rengade out for its maiden voyage.

A little concerned about the gas port block I chose for the Renegade though. I ended up just putting the gas block in backwards and tightening the grub screw on it to the barrel. I have no idea if that's a stupid idea or not. I'd hate for the gas to blow this thing the first time I pull the trigger. Other than investing in a barrel without a gas port is there anything else I should be doing?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Martytoof posted:

A little concerned about the gas port block I chose for the Renegade though. I ended up just putting the gas block in backwards and tightening the grub screw on it to the barrel. I have no idea if that's a stupid idea or not. I'd hate for the gas to blow this thing the first time I pull the trigger. Other than investing in a barrel without a gas port is there anything else I should be doing?

My gas block is jammed with an unported gas tube section of my AR. I have ~250 rounds through it with no gas leaks. Long term, I will likely get a new barrel but for now this one works just dandy.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Interesting, the Maverick came with a gas port block. It's a little aluminum donut with a set screw through it.

I wonder if they have a similar thing for the Renegade now. It might be worth dropping them a line. MRA seems good to deal with.

Edit: Prototype charging handle

This was made from an old busted arcade stick knob and shaft (lol) that I turned down and threaded. For future versions I'll try to find a smaller knob and move it inboard a bit.

As is, it already feels much better than the stock one.

Thermos fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 12, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Pac Maverick ITT!

Renegade kits also now come with the Iron Donut. Due to a previous shipping error, I have two that I will not be using so if anyone wants one, let me know.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Thermos posted:

This was made from an old busted arcade stick knob and shaft (lol) that I turned down and threaded. For future versions I'll try to find a smaller knob and move it inboard a bit.
Not bad, but you'll have trouble topping Hi-Point making their stuff out of recycled Time Crisis light guns.

(Seriously: good job)

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I think the kits come with a gas port blocker that is a different diameter than my lovely Chinese AR barrel had, unfortunately. I think mine came with one too.

Iím not exactly sure what happens if the gas block doesnít do a great job containing all the gas so Iíll be sure to be wearing gloves in addition to eyepro but hopefully itís not huge blowback directly to the face. If itís not that then I wonít really worry about it and just use my lovely backwards gas block until I decide to invest any more money into the Renegade.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Love how invested in American politics our gun stores are.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gross.

In other, better news I got my first vaccine appointment booked-- it will be in about 2 weeks time. I'm looking forward to this quite a bit, and am also looking forward to telling the crazies that I encounter that my farts now sound like modem noise.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

Gross.

In other, better news I got my first vaccine appointment booked-- it will be in about 2 weeks time. I'm looking forward to this quite a bit, and am also looking forward to telling the crazies that I encounter that my farts now sound like modem noise.

Congrats! The wife and I should have ours around then too. With the price of data plans here I can't wait to have free 5g in my blood.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Fearless posted:

Gross.

"Now"? <pppffffffTTHHHHPPP *NO COLON*>

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I thought Frontier Firearms was... off but that definitely clinches it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Apparently Rod from the CCFR is going to be involved in the Portapique inquiry. I don't know in what capacity exactly, but that's good news.

Also it looks like the CGC might be involved but requested to be paid for it lol.