Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I'd be more than willing to trek out to Vancouver. I think this could really be awesome if we organize it properly. What's your range like Gtab? Would they allow visitors for a weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

beaver_cheese posted:

I'd be more than willing to trek out to Vancouver. I think this could really be awesome if we organize it properly. What's your range like Gtab? Would they allow visitors for a weekend?

PCDHFC, and yeah, $15 a pop.

As a bonus, that's HPL's club too.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Jesus, that makes me want to move out of Toronto right away.

I think the next step in this process is to pick a weekend that everyone is alright with. I'm basically free to go at anytime. I have a very flexible schedule.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good time to do this? Mid July seems good since it gives us a while to organize everything. Let's keep that ball rolling. It really is about time we had a big Canada wide meet.

Edit:

I think I might actually be getting ahead of myself. We should most likely do an interest check before we start planning a date, but mid July is a good a date to strive for as any.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

I have a bunch of retailers you might want to add to your list on the front page.

S.I.R. Mail-Order: That's M-A-I-L order. I'm lookin' at you, buddy.
Marstar Canada: If you're a Canadian shooter and haven't found this place already you really need to learn how to internet.
Frontier Taxidermy: They apparently do more guns than taxidermy and not much frontiering.
Canada Ammo: I've been told these guys are legit.
The Montreal Firearms Recreational Center: They sell guns. Past that, I don't know.
Reliable Gun: Another previous mention in the thread. Out of Vancouver.
William's Arms:
Astor Arms:

Canada-friendly American sites.

SKS Man: Will ship anything to Canada except frames and receivers or anything otherwise illegal (eg, bullpup stocks).

Please note, I have only ever ordered products from Marstar and SKS Man. Any of the rest could be elaborate hoaxes designed to steal your money.

Edit: Removed those already on the front page.

ductonius fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 28, 2008

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Downside is that it's by Winnipeg in Manitoba, so I dunno how many people would be willing to go there. Upside is that it's smack in the middle of the country, so no-one has to drive way the hell to the other end of Canada.

I'm in your neck of the woods that whole month (not by choice), so we could meet up at the very least. Depends on how close to Winnipeg it is, since I won't have my own transport there. I get the feeling that Flanker will be making a stop in that area anyways though.

If we do decide to meet up in BC or AB (Edmonton? Anyone? ) I can try to get out for the weekend. I'll probably end up spending most of my time on the train though.

Ductonius: Keep in mind that basically all firearms parts coming out of the states now require an export license. The $100 law has apparently gone by the wayside.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 28, 2008

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Gtab posted:

PCDHFC, and yeah, $15 a pop.

As a bonus, that's HPL's club too.

I use Thompson Mountain.

Also, we should do a woods/mountain shoot

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Going into the woods or mountains to shoot would be really awesome.

I remember probably around 2 years ago someone on here posted some pictures of people shooting in the mountains. I forget who posted them or where they were taken, but god drat they made me jealous. I think they were shooting SVT-40's, but I could be wrong.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

That would have been me.

Edit:

mikerock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 28, 2008

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

mikerock posted:

I use Thompson Mountain.

Also, we should do a woods/mountain shoot

I agree.

mike, you want [.img] in front of and [./img] behind them pics homie. Without the periods.

----------------

Gtab fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 28, 2008

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It was the () that was loving poo poo up. All fixed now, including unexpected table breakage.

DrlHn
May 7, 2007

The Poco range has actually raised their rates to include some insurance on their day cards

CDHFC website posted:

CDHFC has recently revised the Day Card program.

A regular adult day card is $20. Or, you can buy a three-visit adult day card for $50.

Youths under 18 can buy a day card for $5. Note that Juniors must be accompanied by a licensed adult who provides supervision.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thompson mountain is $15 and is rarely busy. It is a bit farther out and is only about 40m but for shooting pistols that's ok. Rifles are for non-range use in my opinion.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

mikerock posted:

That would have been me.

Edit:

This is where you're taking me in July.

jarude
Apr 11, 2007

by The Finn

Cut Like Knives posted:

Any more LondonONGoons?

Right here, mang. Maybe when I get back from BMQ/SQ/CG this summer we can shoot things. Too bad the only ranges around here huff cocks.

Now, since I'm CF, I also benefit from the free VIA rail trips in July. Maybe they'll let me out of the barracks long enough to shoot...

jarude fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 28, 2008

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I've heard that East Elgin Sportsmen's Association's range in Aylmer is pretty good, also heard that Crumlin is full of old guys with deer guns that have problems with black rifles, but who knows since most of this is second hand info.

We should try to get a London meet together at some point for a laugh.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

By lack of responses, I'm guessing i'm the only Montreal goon in TFR?

That's kinda depressing since I was hoping to learn the ropes from someone. Oh well.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Flanker posted:

This is where you're taking me in July.

It's a lot nicer in teh summer. It's also a hell of a hike up there, about 1km from where that first picture was taken to the last picture. I took Miso Beno up there early last summer and we found a whole pile of 7.62 bullets from the snow shoot pictured, almost all of them undamaged from having impacted with teh snowbanks and then falling to the ground when teh snow melted.

Somewhere out there Ben has some pics from that trip.

TEH

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

Caedus posted:

The other thing is, and I'm not sure if it's Ontario-wide or just locally, but in order to shoot a restricted firearm (mostly handguns) you need to pay an annual fee to join a shooter's club. My local club requires 9 supervised shoots over 9 weeks before they'll even give you a membership, meaning a minimum of 9 weeks at one shoot per week before you can go to the range on your own goddamn time.

This is the biggest racket ever, especially if you live in a city where every single gun club is crazy costly and it makes me so mad I want to line every single MP up and punch them all in the dickhole.

I've had my R/NR PAL for almost a year now and have yet to buy anything because guns and ammunition are prohibitively expensive and I also live in an apartment which makes storing any firearms in accordance with the 'legal standard' next to impossible.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

sedated posted:

I also live in an apartment which makes storing any firearms in accordance with the 'legal standard' next to impossible.

No it doesn't.

----------------

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Cypress posted:

By lack of responses, I'm guessing i'm the only Montreal goon in TFR?

That's kinda depressing since I was hoping to learn the ropes from someone. Oh well.

Yeah sorry, looks like you're a lone pioneer

Join a club and take your friends shooting and brainwash them into getting their own PALs. Worked for me!

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Can someone explain to me how mailorder works? I'm sure it's not as easy as the gun being delivered right to your house, and I think I want to order an SKS from SIR.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

Gtab posted:

No it doesn't.

I live with my girlfreind in a triplex, where could I securely store a firearm where she would have no access to it that would also be secure enough that if my house were broken into I wouldn't be charged for unsafe storage.

I may have been misled in how foggy the laws are but I was basically told 'if they want to gently caress you they can'.

e: she will not get her PAL or even go to the range any more because there are always bumpkins there attempting to help her with her stance.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Millow posted:

Can someone explain to me how mailorder works? I'm sure it's not as easy as the gun being delivered right to your house, and I think I want to order an SKS from SIR.

You buy a gun over the phone with your PAL and credit card. Restricted will require verification over the phone with your PAL via the firearms center. Then the gun is delivered right to your house. I prefer to have handguns mailed to me because then I don't need an ATT to pick it up. And yes, its that simple.

edit:

sedated posted:

she will not get her PAL or even go to the range any more because there are always bumpkins there attempting to help her with her stance.

That's YOUR job, you're failing. Touch the way I touched you when w- nevermind.

Flanker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 29, 2008

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

sedated posted:

This is the biggest racket ever, especially if you live in a city where every single gun club is crazy costly and it makes me so mad I want to line every single MP up and punch them all in the dickhole.

Yeah, I know. And the kicker is there's only one indoor shooting range in town, so it's not like I actually have the option of choosing a less expensive place. I'm not even going to bother getting into handgunning until I'm out of this loving province.

Gtab: I'm selling my car to my sister, who lives in Vancouver, so I'll actually be out there in the next couple months. I was actually planning on going though Edmonton to spend a day with Drakerider along the way.
beaver_cheese: Come to think of it,if we can get planning on an actual Canadian goon meet going, I can offer two seats in my car going from Northwestern Ontario to Vancouver. I just need to time bringing the car out to when we plan this thing.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

I can offer two seats in my car going from Northwestern Ontario to Vancouver. I just need to time bringing the car out to when we plan this thing.

Hello epic drive of insanity. July is free train month for CF members, so I plan on hitting up can gun goons from here to van. Its going to rock.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Flanker posted:

Hello epic drive of insanity. July is free train month for CF members, so I plan on hitting up can gun goons from here to van. Its going to rock.

It would be awesome. And where is "Here" for you? I was under the impression you were also from BC.

Also keep in mind that my seats are one way, I'm selling my car after all, spending a week in BC with family/any goons who would have me, then taking a flight home.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

And where is "Here" for you? I was under the impression you were also from BC.

the Hammer, ontario. I am often teased for not being in the elite BC TFR gun jerk boat.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

sedated posted:

I live with my girlfreind in a triplex, where could I securely store a firearm where she would have no access to it that would also be secure enough that if my house were broken into I wouldn't be charged for unsafe storage.

I may have been misled in how foggy the laws are but I was basically told 'if they want to gently caress you they can'.

Funny story it's called "a gun locker" or "a gun safe".

Let me know it that answer is somehow to you.

Flanker posted:

the Hammer, ontario. I am often teased for not being in the elite BC TFR gun jerk boat.

I don't mock you for not being from BC. I mock you for being from Ontario.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Gtab posted:

I don't mock you for not being from BC. I mock you for being from Ontario.

To be fair, it's not like that's difficult.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Flanker posted:

I'm waiting for them to put up the conditions for this offer. I'm a former Reserve member so I don't know if I qualify or not. If they do I plan on doing a round trip from Moncton to Vancouver, then back again. It'll be a wonderful way to spend a week seeing the countryside.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Does anyone know what the scoop is with 7.62x54R? I'm thinking about a mosin but from what I've read it seems like theres none of this stuff anywhere. Does anyone know of any suppliers who have it, and is there any on the horizon?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Oh, it's available out west here. Just like everything that is good in the world. God loves the west coast and he hates the rest of Canada.

----------------

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

Gtab posted:

Oh, it's available out west here. Just like everything that is good in the world. God loves the west coast and he hates the rest of Canada.

Do you know of any websites that I can order a case from? SIR lists it, but they don't have it.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Caedus posted:

beaver_cheese: Come to think of it,if we can get planning on an actual Canadian goon meet going, I can offer two seats in my car going from Northwestern Ontario to Vancouver. I just need to time bringing the car out to when we plan this thing.

That would be great. It's a massive drive, but I figure if we make stops along the way to hang out with some other TFR guys and go shooting with them and if there is room pick them up for the rest of the trip, then it should work out pretty nicely.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This would be pretty epic if it works out.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I've said it before, but any active TFR poster that wants to come out and shoot with me and the other Edmonton TFR Goons is welcome, as long as I'm alive and in town. However, if you guys make the drive in June, I won't be around. Any other time, and I'm game.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Hmm, I just found out I'm probably going to be heading to BC in the first week of May to sell my car, which may or may not work for anyone else. Even if we can't get an 'official' goon thing going, I'd still like to do a few stops along the way, but I don't know who is where, aside from Drakerider, and the BC Goons.

The offer is still there for two seats, but again, I'm not sure if early May will work for anyone else, and again, it's a one way trip for me. If anyone is still interested in a road trip on those conditions, or interested in hosting a goon or two for a day, shoot me an email/catch me on messenger at shortcircuit989 (at) hotmail (dot) com. Or, our neat new email feature through my profile.

Flanker: When are you planning on doing your cross-country trip?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Caedus posted:

Flanker: When are you planning on doing your cross-country trip?

July, if I'm not doing army stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Alright, well I'll definitely be back home by then, so consider this an official invitation for a stop in Thunder Bay.