Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

What is CGC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Coalition for Gun Control.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Iím deeply confused with the new gun laws here. Is the AR15 and M14 platform banned now?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Kraftwerk posted:

Iím deeply confused with the new gun laws here. Is the AR15 and M14 platform banned now?

Yes. If you own one, legally you can keep it until May 1st 2022 unless the deadline is extended. There may be a buyback at some point, or you may be allowed to keep it as long as you pinky promise never to use it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So what is legal?
Can you own .357 revolvers or a Beretta 9mm? What about the SKS, Mosin Nagant or like a Mauser action rifle?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Yeah those are all fine. Here is the Coles notes on what was banned.

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cntrng-crm/frrms/paf-afa-en.aspx

Handguns are all fine for the moment. They are trying to pass a bill that would give municipalities the ability to ban them, but realistically that's a long way out, if ever.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I am excited about the impending lifting of lockdown so I can finally make use of the range I pay $500/year for. At this rate itíll average out to be $500/visit.

Kraftwerk posted:

So what is legal?
Can you own .357 revolvers or a Beretta 9mm? What about the SKS, Mosin Nagant or like a Mauser action rifle?

Hereís some light bedtime reading

https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/html/sor-dors96-eng.html

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

My gun club just opened back up (for now). Finally renewed my membership, 5 1/2 months late but whatever. Went and shot a couple rounds of trap. Didn't do *that* bad I guess, considering I haven't pulled the trigger on anything besides a snap cap since November. Got a 22 and a 20. I might have done better on the second round, but my shoulder is out of practice. No bruise but it hurts like hell.
I should have brought my 1145fps shells instead of the 1200s.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

My gun club just opened back up (for now). Finally renewed my membership, 5 1/2 months late but whatever. Went and shot a couple rounds of trap. Didn't do *that* bad I guess, considering I haven't pulled the trigger on anything besides a snap cap since November. Got a 22 and a 20. I might have done better on the second round, but my shoulder is out of practice. No bruise but it hurts like hell.
I should have brought my 1145fps shells instead of the 1200s.

Nice! I'm a little jealous, indoor ranges here just shut down after I got a membership at one near my brother's place. Now I have two memberships I can't use

Had the maverick at the dnr range a couple times, about 50 rounds through it and it's still getting stuck cases semi-regularly. Going to try some other brands of brass and see if they fare any better. It's a new TNA bargain barrel so I'm thinking it may just need some more breaking in.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I jury-rigged a bolt hold open solution for my Renegade:

This should make cleaning a little less of a fuss.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

I jury-rigged a bolt hold open solution for my Renegade:

This should make cleaning a little less of a fuss.

*nods of approval*

Spectre had the LPC on sale again (I'm starting to think they sold quite poorly) so I decided to go for it. My initial build is going to be something light and handy with a 10" barrel.

Maverick 100 round review:

It's very fun. It's extracting just about everything pretty well now. Doesn't like Sako brass that much, but I only had to mortar it once. People can (and will) bitch about how it's a 'cope gun' but I love straight-pulls and I'd have bought one anyway. Being a new product they obviously have a few kinks to work out (Mag catch hole being a bit too small). I am pleased with mine so far.

I hope they offer a better charging handle aftermarket. I got mine working, but where there isn't much support I'm worried about it damaging the threads over time.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

The wheels are slowly turning in regards to the groups of people challenging the OiC. CCFR et. al vs Canada.

TL;DR is that the applicants (CCFR et. al) asked for the government to disclose the documents the Cabinet (Respondent) used in making the OiC. The Respondent stated that it was all covered under Cabinet privilege and was not going to release any documents except the OiC, Amenesty order OiC, and impact regulation statement ie. everything already public.

The Judge ruled that because the Respondent did not properly follow the procedure to use Cabinet privilege, and that their excuse to not use section 39 (which is the proper way of invoking Cabinet privilege) because it would cause an undue delay, has caused an undue delay because of the way they objected to the applicants request. They failed to respond to the applicants application, then waiting until the last day of the required deadline response to say they are not responding to the application, and failing to provide any generalized information that they are claiming Cabinet privilege over which is a requirement to claim.

The Judge has ordered that the Respondents provide to them (the judge) the applicants requested documents, and that they will be the arbiter on deciding what is properly covered by Cabinet privilege and what can be released to the applicants.

So a minor win, that hopefully will expose the shoddy work in crafting the OiC and give the pro-gun cohort some ammunition to use in the following court battle.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

This has me feeling cautiously optimistic. It's the same judge that heard the injunction, and she seems to be seeing through the crown's BS.

Obviously there are still many hurdles to be cleared, but I feel like at least the fight isn't over before it's begun.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Chillyrabbit posted:

The wheels are slowly turning in regards to the groups of people challenging the OiC. CCFR et. al vs Canada.

TL;DR is that the applicants (CCFR et. al) asked for the government to disclose the documents the Cabinet (Respondent) used in making the OiC. The Respondent stated that it was all covered under Cabinet privilege and was not going to release any documents except the OiC, Amenesty order OiC, and impact regulation statement ie. everything already public.

The Judge ruled that because the Respondent did not properly follow the procedure to use Cabinet privilege, and that their excuse to not use section 39 (which is the proper way of invoking Cabinet privilege) because it would cause an undue delay, has caused an undue delay because of the way they objected to the applicants request. They failed to respond to the applicants application, then waiting until the last day of the required deadline response to say they are not responding to the application, and failing to provide any generalized information that they are claiming Cabinet privilege over which is a requirement to claim.

The Judge has ordered that the Respondents provide to them (the judge) the applicants requested documents, and that they will be the arbiter on deciding what is properly covered by Cabinet privilege and what can be released to the applicants.

So a minor win, that hopefully will expose the shoddy work in crafting the OiC and give the pro-gun cohort some ammunition to use in the following court battle.

"On balance, this court finds the idea that the people's representatives, elected to do the people's work, do not need to account themselves to the people, and that their decision making process is inherently 'privileged' and must be hidden, to be so much bullshit it's not even funny."

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Someone ought to make a steamed hams gif.

Judge: "You're telling me you have overwhelming evidence it was necessary to ban via OiC a puzzling assortment of firearms, chosen mainly by appearance or notoriety, for the safety of all Canadians?"

Crown: "Yes!"

Judge: "May I see it?"

Crown: "No."

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Thermos posted:

Someone ought to make a steamed hams gif.

Judge: "You're telling me you have overwhelming evidence it was necessary to ban via OiC a puzzling assortment of firearms, chosen mainly by appearance or notoriety, for the safety of all Canadians?"

Crown: "Yes!"

Judge: "May I see it?"

Crown: "No."

Lol

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I find it grimly amusing that the Liberals have been getting an education recently on the perils of making policy decisions based off of ideology and opportunism rather than evidence.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Judge:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Chalmers: You call a piston actuated shotgun an 'AR-15 variant'?

Skinner: Yes! It's a regional dialect.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Agnes: Seymour, they're importing Chinese LMGs!

Skinner: No mother, those have wooden furniture!

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I stole this one from reddit.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Ok, so basically im very smol.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

A+. Definitely need a short barrel to throw on mine.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thermos posted:

Ok, so basically im very smol.

Oh my god it's adorable I want six

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

That looks like it would be awesome as a lightweight backpacking rifle with a caliber that's suited to the short barrel.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Coxswain Balls posted:

That looks like it would be awesome as a lightweight backpacking rifle with a caliber that's suited to the short barrel.

My plan was to build it in 300 blk, but was having a hard time finding a barrel in stock for a decent price. I ended up getting a 5.56 barrel off cgn for 90 bux to tide me over until then.

It weighs 4 lbs 11 oz built with basically the cheapest parts TNA had to offer. It's very cool to have such a light, compact rifle that's non-restricted even if it is a straight pull.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

So the NB CFO has decided to appeal the decision from the recent court case against the Springfield Sports Club. Given the comprehensive way in which the CFO's arguments were shot down, my entirely uneducated opinion is that the appeal is not likely to change much as far as outcomes go, but the purpose is likely less about changing the decision and more about punishing the club and draining its resources. The decision that was reached was a pretty big deal that has the potential to change how ranges are regulated via slapping back government overreach in a number of provinces. A Go Fund Me has been posted by the club president with a mind towards helping to defray the new and impending legal costs, so if folks are so inclined and are feeling generous, donations would be most welcome.

https://gofund.me/5efde866

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Anybody want a non-restricted semi auto M60? Only 45k!

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/2156117-M60E4-nonrestricted

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

So the NB CFO has decided to appeal the decision from the recent court case against the Springfield Sports Club. Given the comprehensive way in which the CFO's arguments were shot down, my entirely uneducated opinion is that the appeal is not likely to change much as far as outcomes go, but the purpose is likely less about changing the decision and more about punishing the club and draining its resources. The decision that was reached was a pretty big deal that has the potential to change how ranges are regulated via slapping back government overreach in a number of provinces. A Go Fund Me has been posted by the club president with a mind towards helping to defray the new and impending legal costs, so if folks are so inclined and are feeling generous, donations would be most welcome.

https://gofund.me/5efde866

gently caress our government sucks. Donating because I might as well be funding both sides of this fight.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

And your daily dose of NS gunpost.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Thermos posted:

gently caress our government sucks. Donating because I might as well be funding both sides of this fight.

That situation is super unpleasant but yeah. Glad the link was shared. This past year I have spent more on this kind of thing than I have on e.g. ammo or anything, and like any of us I ain't a rich man.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

The Eyes Have It posted:

That situation is super unpleasant but yeah. Glad the link was shared. This past year I have spent more on this kind of thing than I have on e.g. ammo or anything, and like any of us I ain't a rich man.

Thank you both, and also to anyone else that chipped in. Three days since I got the link and the fund has gone from $200 to about $12500, thanks in no small part to regular folks like us who've just done our bit.

Speaking with Tim Kairns, the president of the club, he figures that the CFO does not have much to go on for an appeal as the reasoning is quite firm but the CFO basically has to appeal for fear of precedent that it sets.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Our guy Ian just put a video up about it! Glad to see the donations pouring in.

https://youtu.be/IdcK0gqcyvk

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Our guy Ian just put a video up about it! Glad to see the donations pouring in.

https://youtu.be/IdcK0gqcyvk

They just shot up another thousand bucks in the time since I last posted

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Fearless posted:

They just shot up another thousand bucks in the time since I last posted

You can have my donation when you pry it from my Cold DeadWet (wet coast) Hands!.
Or something.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

That Runkle Rumple doing its magic.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jehde posted:

That Runkle Rumple doing its magic.

I'd loving say. It's nearing 18k as of a few minutes ago.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

21k now... let's get those rookie numbers up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

21k now... let's get those rookie numbers up!

Just crested 22k, which is very exciting! I think that people understand that this has national implications.