Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Fearless posted:

I initially read "Walther Colt" as "Walker Colt" and came away confused why people were even asking about mag safeties. Or safeties in general.

So they don't accidentally shoot their horse of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Ö so many preventable equicides :smith:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Martytoof posted:

Ö so many preventable equicides :smith:

Poor freckles, thought of 60 grains of black powder behind 131 grains of lead and died.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Fearless posted:

I initially read "Walther Colt" as "Walker Colt" and came away confused why people were even asking about mag safeties. Or safeties in general.

Imagine, a Colt Walker, but chambered in 22lr :3:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Frank Dillinger posted:

Imagine, a Colt Walker, but chambered in 22lr :3:

https://www.kirstkonverter.com/22-colt-conversion-kit.html

or

https://www.howellarms.com/1851-navy/185161-navy-pietta-36-conversion-kit-to-22lr

But nothing for Walkers, sadly. A massive gun like one of those spitting out .22LR would be quite the thing.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I was about to post asking if anyone knew where we can source pick-foam in large-ish sheets here in Canada without ridiculous shipping fees and prices because last time I checked I found squat and I want to re-fit one of my rifle hard cases, but then I decided to do one last google just now before hitting the submit reply button so I wouldnít look like a dummy. Lo and behold I see that Canadian Tire sells it in sheets for a reasonable price.

Iíll have to glue a few together at the seams to get one contiguous sheet to pick apart and itíll still be close to a fifty or sixty bucks to finish the case but thatís a lot better than the prices I was getting last time I googled. So leaving this here in case anyone ever asks the same question.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The pickable cubes in CT's sheets run from from top to bottom, it's just plain-rear end foam around the edges. Might take some fandangling to make work as intended FYI.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

You could also grab a sheet of some polyethylene foam from somewhere like uline and trace the gun/case then cut it out with a sharp knife.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

That's my fallback plan for sure. I'm not too keen on my knifework but will definitely give it a good effort if that's what it boils down to. Shame about the CT pluck foam but I'm not counting it out yet. Will see if I can grab a pack just to experiment on and see if I can make it work :)

If it comes down to cutting a solid sheet, I'm going to invest thirty bucks in a cheap hot wire knife from Amazon so I can just run through the sheet without hacking.

In the meantime, waiting on my Walther paperwork still.

Martytoof fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 20, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hey Thermos, for Guns with Gord #2, I respectfully suggest filming him with a Martini and titling the episode "Gord of Khartoum."

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

Hey Thermos, for Guns with Gord #2, I respectfully suggest filming him with a Martini and titling the episode "Gord of Khartoum."

:perfect:

Sadly it might be a while, he was visiting from the Rock for a couple weeks and just went home. Had some good times at the range and managed to film a couple videos though.

Edit: drat this gun is beautiful.

https://www.gunpost.ca/firearms/shotguns/barrie/ithaca-m37-trench-gun-clone

I really want it but I don't know if it's worth the asking price (I know nothing about shotguns). I need a bayonet for my P14 anyway so that would be a bonus...

Edit2: apparently it's sold, oh well!

Thermos fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 21, 2021

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

:perfect:

Sadly it might be a while, he was visiting from the Rock for a couple weeks and just went home. Had some good times at the range and managed to film a couple videos though.

So no giving him a revolver and filming the lobster western The Gord, The Bad and The Ugly? We're all lesser for it.

Not a box thread, but a lengthy post involving boxes:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3167883&pagenumber=626#post516395789

Fearless fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 22, 2021

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Have any of you guys used one of these Caldwell recoil shields?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0009TRNRK

I'm basically admitting defeat and my 308, Mauser, and SKS tenderized my shoulder last time I was out. Just wondering if there's anything else I should be looking at (other than YER DOIN IT WRONG technique fixes)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Martytoof posted:

I'm basically admitting defeat and my 308, Mauser, and SKS tenderized my shoulder last time I was out. Just wondering if there's anything else I should be looking at (other than YER DOIN IT WRONG technique fixes)

Have you tried those slip-on limb saver buttpads? Those reduce felt recoil to basically nothing.

but yeah if an SKS is beating up your shoulder there's something odd going on there and you should really look at your technique. Something like 8mm Mauser is pretty unforgiving if you aren't spot on, and I'll give myself a bruise now and again, but x39? That shouldn't be beating you up

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

Went target shooting for the first time this weekend and it was pretty kickass. Only fired like 3 rounds from a 243, and maybe 10 from a sig 226. I'm looking at doing a safety course and getting my pal/rpal, but does anyone know anywhere good to shoot in Ottawa that's not the RA gun club which I've heard sucks?

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Have you tried those slip-on limb saver buttpads? Those reduce felt recoil to basically nothing.

but yeah if an SKS is beating up your shoulder there's something odd going on there and you should really look at your technique. Something like 8mm Mauser is pretty unforgiving if you aren't spot on, and I'll give myself a bruise now and again, but x39? That shouldn't be beating you up

I haven't tried the specific buttpads but in general I don't really want to buy like six or seven of these for various rifles if this works.

I'll be honest, the SKS may not have done a lot of damage but my shoulder was already sore when I took it off the rack. I'd hope that a pad like the above would cushion enough that it might prevent that.

But for sure my technique could use help. Problem is that I get out maybe five or six times a year (at this rate) so that's not ideal for retention.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Martytoof posted:

I have that model, I find it works quite well. I take it when I'm going to shoot multiple videos because I do find my shoulder a bit tender after shooting a few old guns with metal buttplates.

I wore it when I shot my Forestry carbine and it took it from "Ow oof gently caress, that stings" to manageable. https://youtu.be/pVrmWcOJhQ4

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I haven't tried the specific buttpads but in general I don't really want to buy like six or seven of these for various rifles if this works.

I'll be honest, the SKS may not have done a lot of damage but my shoulder was already sore when I took it off the rack. I'd hope that a pad like the above would cushion enough that it might prevent that.

But for sure my technique could use help. Problem is that I get out maybe five or six times a year (at this rate) so that's not ideal for retention.

Try asking over in the milsurp thread, it's full of people who shoot old guns with steel butts all day.

As far as the technique goes, it's not the kind of fine thing that you need to drill all the time for retention. The tl;dr is to make absolutely sure that the gun doesn't have any place to recoil into your shoulder. Even a small gap between the butt and your shoulder will pummel you. Pulling back firmly into your shoulder is about three quarters of it. After that it's positioning (finding the pocket etc), but honestly just having a firm connection between gun and shoulder goes a LOOOONG way.

edit: which is to say it's the sort of thing you can correct if you take a bit of time and maybe practice shouldering a little bit in your living room or whatever. It's not the sort of thing where it's hopeless if you're not going to the range every week.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Martytoof posted:

How high (or low) are you shouldering the rifles?
And are you generally going shooting in a shirt, or with something like a jacket or a hooded sweatshirt on?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

The 9mm WK-180-C update;

The package arrived, containing not just a complete bolt with firing pin, but two spare firing pins. I don't yet know if the intention is for me to just use them for testing for getting the upper running and then send them back, or to keep as spares. I am operating under the assumption they are for testing and will be sent back when I return the bad bolt. Either way, great customer service giving me what I'll need to get this sucker running.

First thing I did was check protrusion on the new bolt, and it was a marked improvement. Second thing I checked was the spare firing pins in the first bolt, and they seemed to make no difference and my operating assumption there is the firing pin channel is what's out of spec.

But a new problem arose when I went to install the new bolt, it binds about an inch and a half out. After three hours of testing and futzing about (and being rather irritated) I established that the left guiderod channel is where the binding is occurring, but only with the new bolt. It bind's in the 9mm upper, .223 upper, and stripped upper. The old 9mm bolt cycles fine in all three, and the 223 carrier has no issues in the stripped or original upper, so that rules out the guiderods being the problem. If I leave the guiderods unseated the bolt can travel correctly, but the action can't latch closed. However, that brought up something else. A mere six cycles of the (new) bolt slamming home as if chambering did some chewing. This did not occur with the original out of spec bolt.

It is worth noting that this is the only one of the three uppers that have this flaw, as both the other two are recessed at that location. I assume a time and cost-saving measure that was not fully thought through, or deemed unnecessary (incorrectly)

I've fired all manner of firearms over the years, of varying quality and construction, but this is the first time I've verbalized calling a gun a piece of poo poo. The irony is for all the complaints you can find about the wk180-c itself, mine has run great with all the types of ammunition I've run through it. A problem only arose when I decided to try this upper. So, another round of emails with TNA is in the works. I already dashed one off with my experience and observation, and a line of thought on things to try, and asking for Colin's opinion. (He's the poor sap who's been given the task of dealing with me and my issues with this)

TNA has been great so far through this, but I can't say I'd endorse it or encourage anyone to buy one of these things.
I probably should have just bought an MRA Renegade receiver set instead.

One other observation of note involves the buffer. The original rifle should have had one, but the thickness of the one for the 9mm kit prevents the bolt hold from activating if used with the .223 upper. I'll need to experiment with some homebrew buffers to find something that works and keeps the BHO.

Also, gently caress the left handed only charging handle. I'm fairly ambidextrous by necessity after breaking my right hand twice (and still default to using my left hand for a lot of common tasks), but being stuck racking the bolt on this with my left is crummy.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My wife ordered some stickers from an artist she likes and this was an extra in the packet:

She hated it, but I think it is awesome and now it resides on my safe.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

My wife ordered some stickers from an artist she likes and this was an extra in the packet:

She hated it, but I think it is awesome and now it resides on my safe.

Haha that owns!

Any of you goons know any WW1 re-enactor groups? I won an impulse bid on four DP SMLE's from the NS International Tattoo. They all look to be in good shape but I will know more when I pick them up tomorrow.

I figured worst case scenario I could find barrelled actions for them or sell them off for parts. I kinda hate to do that though as they are a neat piece of history in their own right.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Haha that owns!

Any of you goons know any WW1 re-enactor groups? I won an impulse bid on four DP SMLE's from the NS International Tattoo. They all look to be in good shape but I will know more when I pick them up tomorrow.

I figured worst case scenario I could find barrelled actions for them or sell them off for parts. I kinda hate to do that though as they are a neat piece of history in their own right.

SMLEs suitable for restoration are pretty easy and cheap to find. You could get a couple of those and swap the wood around, and retain the old DPs if you ever wanted a DP rifle for display. I would be very interested to know how fuckered the upper handguards are... those are often found split, chipped or damaged (especially the rear handguard) and life as a DP rifle at the NS Tattoo would not have been kind to them.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Just picked them up. Surprisingly the condition seems pretty average for an SMLE. Lots of bumps and bruises but no cracks immediately visible. Will have some pics later.

I also got this cool C1 bayonet :yarr:

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Thermos posted:

I have that model, I find it works quite well. I take it when I'm going to shoot multiple videos because I do find my shoulder a bit tender after shooting a few old guns with metal buttplates.

I wore it when I shot my Forestry carbine and it took it from "Ow oof gently caress, that stings" to manageable. https://youtu.be/pVrmWcOJhQ4

I picked it up just because it wasnít super expensive and if it can save me a few stingers itís probably worth the investment.

Cyrano4747 posted:

As far as the technique goes, it's not the kind of fine thing that you need to drill all the time for retention. The tl;dr is to make absolutely sure that the gun doesn't have any place to recoil into your shoulder. Even a small gap between the butt and your shoulder will pummel you. Pulling back firmly into your shoulder is about three quarters of it. After that it's positioning (finding the pocket etc), but honestly just having a firm connection between gun and shoulder goes a LOOOONG way.

edit: which is to say it's the sort of thing you can correct if you take a bit of time and maybe practice shouldering a little bit in your living room or whatever. It's not the sort of thing where it's hopeless if you're not going to the range every week.

So on my rifles with a bipod, I absolutely pre-load the bipod against the raised edge of the shooting bench. For things like the SKS or Mauser, I do think I push into them on the bag but itís entirely possible I *think* Iím pushing forward when in reality itís just me bracing it with my arm and thereís still room between the stock and my shoulder. Iíll pay more attention to this next time I go, probably Tuesday.

kupachek posted:

How high (or low) are you shouldering the rifles?
And are you generally going shooting in a shirt, or with something like a jacket or a hooded sweatshirt on?

To be honest Iím not entirely sure ó I do it by feel so Iíve never analyzed the actual position. The best I can say is ďit doesnít feel awkwardĒ so the rifle just sort of slips into my shoulder but thatís an awful answer so Iíll see if I can document it better this week. I tend to shoot with just a shirt these days since itís hooooot but Iíve definitely gone with more padded outerwear and canít really say I thought it made much of a difference. If it did I could have easily mistaken it for ďeh I didnít shoot the heavy guns as much todayĒ. All very anecdotal.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Follow up on kupachek's chronicles of the TNA 9mm upper:

They already posted about some of the issues I was having with mine (too tight magwell conversion block, off index handguard, lack of right hand charging, lack of bolt hold open, short firing pin)

Given the amount of issues I was having with mine, and some not really being fixable, I decided to return it. Colin was very good about the return, with no hassle or anything, just shipped it back and got a full refund. It is a shame, because the kit does seem well made, especially the magwell conversion block, it's just unfortunate that it doesn't really work for me.

If you don't mind the lack of right hand charging and bolt hold open, I figure it's still a good piece of kit, and the other issues are probably easy enough to fix with TNA's fantastic customer service.

So overall: :shrug:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Martytoof posted:

So on my rifles with a bipod, I absolutely pre-load the bipod against the raised edge of the shooting bench. For things like the SKS or Mauser, I do think I push into them on the bag but itís entirely possible I *think* Iím pushing forward when in reality itís just me bracing it with my arm and thereís still room between the stock and my shoulder. Iíll pay more attention to this next time I go, probably Tuesday.

Try pulling back into your shoulder with you trigger hand. Don't just push into it against the sandbag, actually pull it rearwards.

You don't need to put a ton of pressure on, but you need to make sure the rifle is firmly into your shoulder so that your shoulder moves with the recoil rather than being recoiled into.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Martytoof posted:

To be honest Iím not entirely sure ó I do it by feel so Iíve never analyzed the actual position. The best I can say is ďit doesnít feel awkwardĒ so the rifle just sort of slips into my shoulder but thatís an awful answer so Iíll see if I can document it better this week. I tend to shoot with just a shirt these days since itís hooooot but Iíve definitely gone with more padded outerwear and canít really say I thought it made much of a difference. If it did I could have easily mistaken it for ďeh I didnít shoot the heavy guns as much todayĒ. All very anecdotal.

if you have a mirror at home you move a small table near (or, mirror towards the table) you can set yourself up in shooting position and see if you can see how high the top of the buttstock is on your shoulder? (or, how low)
If someone else is around, they can take a photo, and you can then compare that to photos of other shooters and get an idea for if you are holding it considerably different or not.

I can't recall now if you and I talked about how to check the natural shooting pocket 3 or so years ago now or not, but you know how to extend your arm to create the hollow for checking, right?

But shooting seated will change the dynamic of how the rifle is snugged up against you.

Jehde posted:

Follow up on kupachek's chronicles of the TNA 9mm upper:

They already posted about some of the issues I was having with mine (too tight magwell conversion block, off index handguard, lack of right hand charging, lack of bolt hold open, short firing pin)

Given the amount of issues I was having with mine, and some not really being fixable, I decided to return it. Colin was very good about the return, with no hassle or anything, just shipped it back and got a full refund. It is a shame, because the kit does seem well made, especially the magwell conversion block, it's just unfortunate that it doesn't really work for me.

If you don't mind the lack of right hand charging and bolt hold open, I figure it's still a good piece of kit, and the other issues are probably easy enough to fix with TNA's fantastic customer service.

So overall: :shrug:

I didn't have a chance to give you a laugh about it yet. it made a bang, but just one..

A single (spent) factory round of 115gr blazer brass, stuck tight.
I had to drive my boot down on the charging handle to move the bolt, the extractor just slipped over and the case is still in the chamber. I haven't had time to deal with it because of other thing going on all the sudden.
I had planned to only shoot a small handful of rounds carefully anyways due to the fire risks with this patch of drought, but the upper decided one was enough

It made the teeniest little fireball poof as well, coming up a little smaller than half an inch high from the birdcage.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

kupachek posted:

I didn't have a chance to give you a laugh about it yet. it made a bang, but just one..

A single (spent) factory round of 115gr blazer brass, stuck tight.
I had to drive my boot down on the charging handle to move the bolt, the extractor just slipped over and the case is still in the chamber. I haven't had time to deal with it because of other thing going on all the sudden.
I had planned to only shoot a small handful of rounds carefully anyways due to the fire risks with this patch of drought, but the upper decided one was enough

It made the teeniest little fireball poof as well, coming up a little smaller than half an inch high from the birdcage.

In my expert opinion, it's definitely haunted. Seriously that sucks and I hope one day you will either get to shoot it or have a full refund.

Here are a few pics of the Enfields. They are all welded up tight, mags and bolts included. I put a cleaning rod down the bore and there seems to be something in the chamber, but no holes cut in them that I can see. Overall, nice wallhangers.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Thermos posted:

In my expert opinion, it's definitely haunted. Seriously that sucks and I hope one day you will either get to shoot it or have a full refund.

Here are a few pics of the Enfields. They are all welded up tight, mags and bolts included. I put a cleaning rod down the bore and there seems to be something in the chamber, but no holes cut in them that I can see. Overall, nice wallhangers.

Man, those are in much better shape than I expected based on you calling them DP's. They'd make fantastic wallhangers as-is, as well as the furniture and fittings having value to someone doing a restoration.
The only welds that jump out in the photos are the magazine to triggerguard ones.

For the older deactivation spec, barrel plugging could be done one of two ways, either a roundbar inserted in at the chamber and welded in place, or a hole cut in the underside and a plug inserted up, and then welded at the bottom. (there are also some dewats out there with a more haphazard "layers of weld over the chamberface" as well.)

I expect the smith probably slipped a rod into the chamber, welded it into position, and closed the bolt, decocked, and welded the bolt body to the receiver through the magazine well before doing the final tack at the triggerguard.

Yeah, the 9mmm upper sure is something.
I actually hadn't mentioned the case jamming (several days ago) after I finally got a bolt/firing pin combo to work to anyone yet until that post, a lot of stuff came up suddenly and dealing with it is really low priority in comparison.
Might be a week or two or more before I have the time to even touch it. (I also need to see if I have a sturdy nonmarring rod I can use to tap the offending case out)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Those look really good. If you decide to sell them, let me know.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

Those look really good. If you decide to sell them, let me know.

I'll likely end up keeping one and selling the others. If you or any goons are interested I'd sell at my cost ($450 after fees etc) plus shipping.

If you're interested shoot me an email at bigthermos420 at gmale.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thermos posted:

Those are way nicer than I was expecting. If I were you I'd be on the hunt for sportered guns right about now.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

e: double post somehow

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

I'd love to buy one off you and put a barreled action from a sporter in it. Gave my bubba'd no 1 mk3* to a friend years ago but one of those would be a nice match for my fazakerly no.5 and the RAF enfield revolver mikerock sold me a couple years back

large hands fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 1, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

How many M14 parts can you cram into a Garand with modification? Much like how there are AR-180 derivatives and manual rifles coming out so that you can put your AR-15 parts to good use, my friends were talking about how it'd be hilarious if someone came out with a nu-Garand receiver in .308 that uses en-bloc clips. I'd be all over that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

How many M14 parts can you cram into a Garand with modification? Much like how there are AR-180 derivatives and manual rifles coming out so that you can put your AR-15 parts to good use, my friends were talking about how it'd be hilarious if someone came out with a nu-Garand receiver in .308 that uses en-bloc clips. I'd be all over that.

Basically zero. I dunno, maybe there's a screw somewhere that you can make fit, and I suppose part of it depends on how much work the word "modification" is doing. I mean, the Turks managed to cobble together these so . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQjo3MhgVw

That said, if all you want is a nu-Garand in .308, that's a thing that already exists. The USN rechambered a bunch in the vietnam era (iirc mix of really good rebarreling and lovely inserts) and IIRC getting an existing garand re-barreled for .308 isn't all that challenging.

fake edit: the M14 was a giant boondoggle of people swearing up and down that old tooling and old parts would be able to be used during the trials, and then basically no tooling and no parts being able to be used.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of rechamberingÖ I have an old Chilean Mauser rechambered to 308 that I havenít shot even once. Terrified of taking it out because apparently the welding job on some had been subpar causing Ö failure? Definitely a safe queen :(

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

There are .308 Garands coming in right now but they're like $2.5k+, which is what led to our initial bellyaching regarding the semi-auto market right now. M305s are so common here that it would be nice if we could reuse the parts like what can kinda be done with AR stocks, barrels, trigger groups, etc. Just like how the WK-180 clones coming out aren't exactly AR-180s, maybe someone can come out with a bastard Garand receiver that has decent parts compatibility with an M14 while still being Garand enough to not get slapped by the CFC/RCMP.

Although going by what I'm hearing about the current quality of 180 clones who knows if we have any manufacturers that are up to the task. I just found out that they're machined aluminum instead of the original stamped metal. Wasn't that supposed to be one of the selling points of the AR-180 since it made construction cheaper and easier? Maybe it's only cheaper on a mass-production scale that our market isn't big enough for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

Although going by what I'm hearing about the current quality of 180 clones who knows if we have any manufacturers that are up to the task. I just found out that they're machined aluminum instead of the original stamped metal. Wasn't that supposed to be one of the selling points of the AR-180 since it made construction cheaper and easier? Maybe it's only cheaper on a mass-production scale that our market isn't big enough for.

Milled aluminum is generally nicer than stamped steel but stamped steel could be stronger. The thing with the AR-180 was that the design pre-dates CNC machining so the stamped parts were a clear cost saver. Nowadays with affordable CNC alu milling, might as well do the ar-180 receiver in billet aluminum just like an ar-15