Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm currently sifting through the links provided in the OP but I'm hoping someone will fast track me to a site/shop. I'm looking for a magazine for a .303 Lee Enfield. I have the original magazine but it holds too many rounds to go out hunting with and I don't want to modify it to only take fewer rounds so it will be legal. Is there somewhere to get smaller capacity magazines or ones that have been modified already?

Gunbroker is your friend (did a search for "enfield magazine" it was in the first five hits)

You could also just disassemble your own mag and stick a chunk of dowel in there so it only depresses to five rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

charliebravo77 posted:

mikerock is not female :psyduck: Is mikerock female :psyduck:

Sadly enough, this IS considered female in Canada:

:canada: That beaver's not just crying because of Canadian gun laws.

He's a dude. Some goons manage to convince women to associate with - and possibly even touch - them. Shocking, I know, especially since I've never seen a picture of him where he wasn't wearing obsolete European cammo

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 4, 2008

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Petit.Conan posted:

Am I the only person in the world who absolutely refuses to pay for anything with a money order?

I used to hate it but then I started doing more and more poo poo on gunbroker. Those things are pretty standard payment with the people who use it so I hd to get off my rear end and start using them.

It's not that bad. I live 10 minutes from a post office and you can buy them there for some stupidly small surcharge - I think the last one I bought was $150 or so and it cost me less than $1.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So every time something cool gets imported to canada you guys restrict it, huh?

I wish we could still get surplus x39 down here :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

slidebite posted:

I'd like to agree with you, but I look at it this way:

*Other* than the pain in the rear end the process of actually doing an amendment, what is a good, valid reason to not have property rights? Especially from the oppositions' viewpoint?

Remember their big argument (and I swear to god I am not making this up): OH, YEAH, WELL, IF THERE WERE PROPERTY RIGHTS A FEW HUNDRED YEARS AGO SLAVES COULD STILL BE PROPERTY!!!! :rolleye:

We've got property rights down here, up to a point ("nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation." -5th Amendment) and we don't have slaves any more :colbert:.

And yes, the South lost their slaves at gunpoint, but there were significant numbers of slaves in Union states that were freed right along with the others, and individual states banned slavery quite effectively long before the Civil War.

How'd they do this? They didn't outlaw slaves per say, but outlawed buying and selling them and defined the children of slaves born after a certain date as free people, letting the problem fix itself in a generation.

The only people who are against property rights are people who want a huge, over blown government which can meddle in the affairs of citizens as it pleases (and I"m pretty sure that's the whole point).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Well, since it looks like you guys will still be able to own guns at least until your next election, I'll cross post this from the Milsurp Megathread:

Me, talking about good milsurp forums posted:

Military Surplus Collectors Forum. This one is based in Canada and is a little frostback-centric, but there's plenty of useful information in here, especially if you're big on Enfields or SVTs. There's a decent sized population of American milsurpers on there too, and information about stuff like production dates and how to care for a nice milsurp gun is kind of international. I'm pretty sure a goon directed me to this place. . . One of the canadians I think. . . Mikerock, was that you? Anyways, decent place, still growing, and I don't check it as much as I should.

It's a forum. There's a picture of an SVT and a maple leaf on the front page. I'm pretty sure that one of you guys pointed me at it in the first place (Mike?) but I figured the rest of you that don't know about it should. DrakeriderCA, I'm looking at you you SVT-loving freak you.

Oh, and if you ever wanted to know more about the Enfield than you thought was humanly possible, go read in there. So. . . many. . . Enfields. . .

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chunderbucket posted:

Anyone?

My google-fu is strong today.

some canuk on some random forum google turned up posted:

It is on SUNDAY ONLY in Edmonton Aviation Heritage Society 11410 Kingsway aveneue. 9.30am to 4pm

FYI I googled "Edmonton gun show" and found that in the third hit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

We still have a few ammo boxes full of .303. $100 for 180 rounds. And no, the rifles are still inbound thanks to government fuckery.

It really amazes me what you guys pay for ammo up there. Given the huge numbes of Enfields you have I'd expect .303 to be a lot cheaper than in the US.

Hell, that's about what you can buy really nice hunting rounds for down here. Surplus runs in the $.30/rd range.

Is reloading an option up there, or is there some kind of crazy law that prevents that?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mikerock posted:

Those are hunting rounds. Surplus is almost non-existent up here.

So what's the story on this? I know you guys also pay an almost comical amount for 7.62x54r. Does your government just not allow ammo importation or something?

That's what's been loving with US surplus prices, at least.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gtab posted:

Don't it just? If I were Prime Minister I would make some awesome rules. :D

If you were PM the canadian gov't would go from :gay: to :black101: overnight, the spending on the military would go up geometrically, and huge chunks of Montreal/Quebec would attempt to emigrate to CA and NY because of your new "everyone who's not a felon and wants one gets one of these FALs from these warehouses and a few thousand rounds of "welcome to freedom" ammo" legislation.

Hopefully they would be shot at the border.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flanker posted:

If I were PM pot smoking, gay marriage and CCW would be mandatory. Yes, I said mandatory.

I don't know man, none of that's exactly mandatory, but it's all pretty cool in Oregon.

Oregon: like the beautiful Canadian West, only without all the faggy laws.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I assume that they're more common in Canada than in the US, and I know I whore myself out for them at every oppritunity, but if you can track down a Tula TOZ of any flavor they're amazing. The bolt action TOZ-78 is a GREAT, accurate little plinker and mine is one of my favorite guns. I forget the model number right now but they also have a semi-auto one that's supposed to be really damned accurate and fun as well. I'm actually thinking of picking one up if I can get a source down here.

Tula makes amazing guns, rugged, reliable as hell, and accurate as you could want, plus they're priced way below what they should be.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gtab posted:

.22 = party all night long.

You can have highcap rimfire rifles because they aren't dangerous. Same reasoning behind why an AR15 can only go to a sanctioned range but an M14 with longer range of fire and more powerful caliber is free to go where you please.

So, theoretically speaking, one could chamber a rifle in .44 Henry Flat or, better yet, .58 Miller and rock and roll all day long with high cap magazines?

I'm sure that's probably illegal somehow, but drat if it doesn't seem like an incentive to bring back some of the old obsolete full sized rimfire calibers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gtab posted:

That was my same question in my course (only, I asked .44 Henry Rimfire) and the answer was "yes" from one of the men who was a paid consultant for the rules and who starred in the videos.

So, yup.

Oh god. . . that would be so damned cool. I'm just envisioning some kind of crazy .44 Henry AR or FAL or AK or something. . . and it's getting me irrationally excited.

It would have to have wooden furniture, of course, and a saddle ring.

I don't know why, exactly, but I want this to happen so bad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mikerock posted:

the walther can be deactivated or sold to a business or destroyed.

The odin press can be inherted by a direct relative, and they will get 12(7) [or 12(6)? drakerider has this] status. Otherwise it can be deactivated, sold to an appropriate license holder, or to a business.

drat, another P38 dies. That really, really sucks. :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lobstermagnet posted:

Hmm... ok then, what's a better .22LR in the lower price ranges then? Everybody tells me I should get a Ruger 10/22 but thats a lot of money to put down on such a little rifle IMO

A Tula TOZ-78-01. I don't know how availability is in Canada, but in the US you can find them for around USD$150, and cheaper if you look around. Made in Russia, decent fit and finish, accurate as all hell, easy to maintain, and all around a great little rifle - especially for the price.

Winchester sells the exact same rifle, made in the exact same factory in Russia, as the Winchester Wildcat with a different color stock and a different bolt bend angle for $300 if that gives you any indication.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That reminds me. . .

When I went shooting on the 2nd day with Chrieger and Reforger outside Zürich a few other random swiss guys that they knew showed up.

One of them had a CGN shirt, the one with that beaver with the rifle tossing the peace sign (or V for Victory sign if you're from 1940s England).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Everything west of Manitoba should be raffled off to the Americans :colbert:

Are you trying to imply that these are the inferior provinces and should be given to the domain of cheesburgers and Paris Hilton or that these are the superior provinces and should be allowed into the promised land of freedom and pistols without comically long barrels?

Either way, as an American from the PacNW I fully support the annexation of the Pacific provinces. They are loving awesome and I, for one, would be honored to bring BC into the fold.

Also I really want to shoot Mike's Nazi BHP and customs won't let me :(

Plus, I hear that if we stuck a USMC recruiting office in Vancouver it'd do some brisk business.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

slidebite posted:

And then there is Layton (untouched original photo)

Oh sweet, I was worried I was going to have to go to CGN for this today.

Also chiming in as an American saying that a Greater Cascadia would be the most awesome country on the planet, assuming of course that we had sane, sensible firearms legislation*

*i.e. none.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

slidebite posted:

CGN posters know how to attach photos to their posts?
:monocle:

Touché. . .

spelling it like a francophone in a :canada: thread

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gtab posted:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080227/dems_nafta_080227/20080227/

They've repeatedly said the NAFTA thing is just rhetoric. He spouts a big game about it but his campaign team has consistently denied any actual desire to change anything. Politics at its best.

Obamma won't change anything. He's promised a HUGE laundry list of sweeping reforms and changes including, but not limited to: NAFTA, fixing the insurance industry, national healthcare, fixing the credit industry, lowering higher education costs, improving public schools across the board, putting the US back into its position of moral authority on the international scene that we had pre-2003, decreasing our dependence on foreign oil, massively pushing the development of green and alternative fuel sources, and I do believe possibly harassing the raw power of happy thoughts to run our economy and end world hunger. Seriously, if he was able to follow through, even in part, on just ONE of his campaign promises he would have accomplished something that any other president would (rightfully so) consider the crowning achievement of a two term presidency. In his case he's just going to have a bunch of voters pissed off that he promised 25 miracles and only delivered two of them.

And that's giving him the most benefit of the doubt possible. Even if he wins this election I really think the democrats are setting themselves up to be hosed, hard, in the decade following due to the appearance of broken promises and a disillusioned voter base that checked off the box for "hope" and "change" and ended up getting "politics."

Then again, McCain's running mate wants to mandate teaching creationism in all US public schools.

God I wish we could flush them both and start over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HPL posted:

No poo poo. So is this one of those deals where she just says that she supports it to gain favour with Creationists or has she drunk the Kool-Aid?

She's a total loving train wreck. Yes, she's a NRA member, hunts, and has video of her (very comfortably - not like the typical politician) shooting an AR15. On the other hand she's also vocally against all abortion, is a religious fundie, and is hue on the "family values" politics. She has four kids, the latest of which has downs syndrome. It's worth noting that that kid is something like half a year old and women her age are not supposed to get pregnant specifically BECAUSE of the insanely higher risk of that disorder.

Oh yeah. Her 17 year old daughter is pregnant. My guess is that they're also one of those "abstinence is the best contraception" families. They're making a big deal right now over how the daughter is going to keep the kid and, apparently, the father is going to marry her.

How they managed to rope that poor schmuck into marrying his mistake is beyond me.

I was kind of leaning towards McCain before all this, but I think I'm like a lot of moderate voters in being pushed right out of his camp by his VP choice. This is a pretty huge disaster for his campaign - basically in pandering to the most nutjob right wing religious parts of the party (the very parts that were going to vote for him no matter what he did) he's managed to alienate every voter who's even somewhat moderate, the very people that McCain was always best at courting in the first place.

Goddamn I hate that woman. At this point I'm seriously considering voting for some random 3rd party just to avoid supporting either one of them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

slidebite posted:

You know, it's kind of sad that we probably cannot expect a "perfect" candidate, regardless of what country you live in.

However, a ticket that actively wages war on real world science and other more basic "freedom of choice" issues, I personally would probably have to decide which of my "causes" is expendable.

I hate to say it, but if she and McCain are as hard core nutjobs as you say they are, I might have to hold my nose if I was American and vote for the "less loony" party. And value wise, I'm very right wing other than the whole batshit religion bullshit thing that for some reason seems to go in hand with the far right.

Thankfully, up here our Conservatives (who are actually on the political spectrum probably closer to the US Democrats than Republican) made it a matter of party policy to not bring the hard core religious views into political matters. IE: Abortion, etc. And it's paying off for them.

That's the killer. McCain ISN'T a total loon! If anything, he's one of the more moderate Republicans who can actually work with democrats. I'm sure someone will be along to say how wrong I am about this by pointing to his voting record on some issue that the party votes as a bloc on, but the point is that he's no Strom Thurman.

Basically this is the first time in decades that the Republicans haven't run someone who just goes apeshit when presented with science, and they saddle him with a nutjob VP who probably still thinks that the world is flat.

Goddamn I hate my country's politics.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cypress posted:

It would be cruel irony if Dion were to get mugged with a knife.

"No more knives in Canada, from now on it's only forks and spoons!"

That happened a while ago in Britain. I forget who it was, but some gun control advocate got stabbed to death.

As I recall it was used in the ongoing campaign by British pussies anti-violence advocates to crack down on knives.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hey, any canadians in here able to get me a few good photos of the current iteration of the M16 clone (forget the Canadian designation) that you're using?

It's some kind of full length upper on a collapsible stock, right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HPL posted:

http://www.casr.ca/101-army-smallarm-1.htm

The Canadian Forces web site has, or at least had a nice section on their gear as well.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0.asp

Wow, lots of typos on that equipment page. Here's an example:

quote:

The C7A1 assault rifle is a soldier's best friend. It is the personal weapon for most soldiers both in Canada and on operational missions around the world. The weapon is a Canadian adaptation of the U.S. firearm known as the M16. It is capable of being equipped with a grenadE launcher, laser pointer, and a night vision sight.

Cool sites though. Thanks for the info.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HPL posted:

No, but it's yet another case of "We're Socialists so we're allowed to use American examples when it suits us" syndrome. God forbid should you or I use an American example because if we do, suddenly we're selling our sovereignty and becoming a puppet of the US.

I think I've said this before, possibly in this very same thread (it was a thread full of canadians at the very least) and that's a godawful bullshit argument in the first place.

Yes, we had slaves. We then passed a number of laws legally emancipating them. Those slaveowners who stayed with the union were compensated for the loss of their slaves. It actually wasn't a precedent for property rights violations, and in no way weakened American property rights.

Goddamn the Canadian left is silly sometimes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mikerock posted:

oh those evil liberals!

oh those evil conservatives!

oh oh hey minority government you're willing to let me have some say?

why sure i'll gobble your cock, hell i'll even lick your rear end in a top hat!

reminds me of the old lady in blazing saddles:

"of course you'll have the good grace not to mention this to anyone else"

This is why I love you mike, right here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

slidebite posted:

NDPs tough crime plan: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008/09/20/ndp-guns.html

The evil internet and its guns! Also note the caving in (as if the NDP had to cave in) to Ontario and Quebec demands for handguns and likes the divide and conquer technique. I must say, it's a far better way of going about it as the "average" Albertan really couldn't give 2 shits about the gun rights for our brothers back East. Not here though. :glomp:

Well, plus the fact that a general ban would probably only be a decade down the pipe. Once they ban all the handguns in Quebec and realize that people are still *gasp* somehow getting and committing crimes with pistols they'll wonder what's going on.

I'm fairly certain they'll change the line of "Damned Americans and their lax gun laws giving criminals the ability to smuggle arms into our country! :argh: " to "Damned Western Provinces and their lax gun laws giving criminals the ability to smuggle arms into our provinces! :argh: " over night.

The difference is that the Canadian Parliament, as much as it may wish it could, can't enact legislation in the US. It can in Alberta.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there any way to get Canadian C7 (preferably C7A2) furniture up there?

Does anyone know what, specifically, you guys are using? It looks like standard 20" foregrips except in that nice green color, but what's the collapsible stock?

Something makes me suspect that your gov't wouldn't want even non-gun parts being sold off of old rifles to the public, but I figured I'd ask in case they're available up there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HPL posted:

Do a google search. It's been tried before.

Why won't anyone think of the squirrels?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gtab posted:

You must feel truly blessed to step into the glorious PNW. It's perfect here.

Move about 500 miles south of Vancouver and it gets a lot more perfect.

But yes, the PacNW is pretty much paradise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flanker posted:

marstar.ca sells green AR furniture.

a) looks like the wrong shade of green, unless those are just terrible photos

b) only carbine-length

:(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flanker posted:

I'll keep looking. Why the hell do you want green furniture anyway?

Go take a look about three pages back in the AR thread.

The tl;dr of it is that I'm finally building myself an AR over the next few months (stripped CMMG lower + LPK coming to me from Gewehr43 after I mail in a check on Friday). It's going to be a CMMG 20" A4 upper with a detachable carry handle to start with. I like collapsible stocks and getting one would let both me and my girlfriend use it comfortably, so I'm also throwing on a Magpul CTR. Why the CTR? Because any kind of stock rattle drives me loving insane.

What is the only country to also appreciate the awesome that is a flat top 20" rifle with a telescoping stock? That's right, :canada: So, being the surplus fruit that I am, I'm building it as a faux-C7A2.

You guys use some horrifically, hilariously ugly green furniture, though, and I'd love to get my hands on a set of surplus C7A2 plastic. Assuming I can't get it I'll just Durakote the 20" handguards and the CTR in the right shade of green.

It's also going to get one of Miso's Canadian broad-arrow stickers applied before spraying the stock, and peeled off afterwards to leave a nice, black C-arrow on it because, hey, Canada, WW2 stamp, Cyrano, fake C7A2 - well, it makes sense in my head.

I'm thinking the eventual box thread (I'm putting it together over about 4 months) will feature a bowl of poutine, maple syrup, and the tiny canadian flag on a toothpick that I have left over from some departmental meet and great thing (we have a Canadian among us this year).

Yes, I'm a freak, I know.

I'm also mildly disappointed that there's apparently no good source out there for a C79 ELCAN for less than $1500.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm assuming you haven't shot with one then. They're okay, but not $1500 okay.

Yeah, I figured they weren't $1500 worth of cool. I was looking around on general "if I'm going to do this, might as well do it right" principle and figured that if they were in the $300-600 ballpark that eotechs and the like sit in then I might go that route.

But yeah, gently caress $1500.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Holy poo poo, somebody actually had the balls to charge that much for a C79? I actually find it pretty crappy.

Yeah, its just a supply issue.

Like I said, I figured it might be a cool "make the rifle REALLY kinda/sorta authentic" toy at $300-600, but at that point gently caress it.

During the search I also read quite a few things on message boards that pretty much pointed to it being a pretty mediocre optic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

I can't recall if I mentioned that the crate was the Longbranch packing crate, and that the rifles were all consecutively numbered. Did I? Because that's how ludicrous Al is. It was stuck under a shelf in the attic.

Ok, the crate of Longbranches was cool, but not really awesome.

It has not crossed the threshold into "Awesome."

Hell, I'd probably trade a rifle just for the crate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mikerock posted:

Your inbox is full.

Also it makes more sense as "now"

Yes, it should have been "now." I was trying to articulate that a simple box full 'o enfields, while cool, did not really make my eyes pop.

A crate still sealed from the factory, however, does.

I will leave it as it is, unedited, for posterity.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blistex posted:

Korean ms word sucks!

Korean anything sucks.

The only things they really do well:

1) televised starcraft matches
2) grain liquor so cheap you can kill yourself for less than $20 (seriously, TRY to drink 20,000 won of soju - the stuff tastes like it was distilled in Kim Il Sung's jock strap, but it sure fucks you up on the cheap).
3) cheap, cheap hard drives.
4) Nakji bokum.

also, since this is the thread for canadian questions, can someone point me to a good, authentic recipe for poutine? Googling turns up a bewildering variety of "homestyle authentic" poutine.

Yes, this is a serious question. You people just happen to be the largest concentration of Canadians I have easy access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gtab posted:

Cyrano brings shame to Oregon.

Just wait until you see what use I put this to.