Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Nine Lives posted:

You guys need CCW, otherwise your country is poo poo. Sorry. I'm sure many of you already know this (Gtab)

Don't loving remind us. The official Canadian stance on encountering trouble either in the streets, or in your home is "run away and call the police". Waiting on a cellphone with the police while some rear end in a top hat stabs you with a pocket knife in the street is the true measure of Canadian politeness.

Wisdom: Are you looking to actually do some shooting here in Canada, or are you just inquiring about bringing a firearm across the border in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Flanker posted:

I am unaware of any gun ranges that rent firearms in Ontario.

I can confirm that. Also, Ontario is the only province that requires big box retailers (Canadian Tire, Walmart) to record all ammunition sales. Meaning if you go to one to buy some bulk .22 or something, they have to copy your PAL information, along with your home address, your phone number, and the caliber and quantity of ammunition you bought.

The other thing is, and I'm not sure if it's Ontario-wide or just locally, but in order to shoot a restricted firearm (mostly handguns) you need to pay an annual fee to join a shooter's club. My local club requires 9 supervised shoots over 9 weeks before they'll even give you a membership, meaning a minimum of 9 weeks at one shoot per week before you can go to the range on your own goddamn time.

In closing, gently caress Ontario, and gently caress it hard.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

helno posted:

RA centre in Ottawa doesnt rent guns per se but has an assortment of guns that can be used by members if they buy ammo from the club. Memebers do not need to have a PAL but it is an expensive club to join and has pretty lovely hours.

My current club has its ups and downs. Temmiskaming bullseye club
I just hope they don't poo poo themselves if I show up with my AR-15

Cons
-Took a long time to get an ATT
-had to wait for a member to die to get a key
-average members age is late 60's
-middle of nowhere northern ontario
-no action shooting sports
-Executive sucks the CFO's cock

Pros
-not a bunch of fudds as I expected
-dont have to shoot with the old guys
-range has no hours of operation (yay night shooting)

Where the heck is this? I'm in the middle of nowhere northern Ontario, and I'm looking for a place to shoot outdoors. I drive a sports car which doesn't lend itself to finding isolated areas of crown land/gravel pits. If it's within a reasonable distance of me I'd love to check it out.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

helno posted:

That range is on twin lakes road off of highway 65 west of New Liskeard. Where abouts are you in northern Ontario?

Thunder Bay, which I think is a little further away from your area than I had hoped.

Edit - Oooohkay. Google Maps tells me it's near the Ontario/Quebec border. When I read "northern Ontario", my brain added "west", hearing "northwestern" instead. That's a little bit far for me to go to shoot my guns.

Caedus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 18, 2008

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

sedated posted:

This is the biggest racket ever, especially if you live in a city where every single gun club is crazy costly and it makes me so mad I want to line every single MP up and punch them all in the dickhole.

Yeah, I know. And the kicker is there's only one indoor shooting range in town, so it's not like I actually have the option of choosing a less expensive place. I'm not even going to bother getting into handgunning until I'm out of this loving province.

Gtab: I'm selling my car to my sister, who lives in Vancouver, so I'll actually be out there in the next couple months. I was actually planning on going though Edmonton to spend a day with Drakerider along the way.
beaver_cheese: Come to think of it,if we can get planning on an actual Canadian goon meet going, I can offer two seats in my car going from Northwestern Ontario to Vancouver. I just need to time bringing the car out to when we plan this thing.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Flanker posted:

Hello epic drive of insanity. July is free train month for CF members, so I plan on hitting up can gun goons from here to van. Its going to rock.

It would be awesome. And where is "Here" for you? I was under the impression you were also from BC.

Also keep in mind that my seats are one way, I'm selling my car after all, spending a week in BC with family/any goons who would have me, then taking a flight home.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Gtab posted:

I don't mock you for not being from BC. I mock you for being from Ontario.

To be fair, it's not like that's difficult.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Hmm, I just found out I'm probably going to be heading to BC in the first week of May to sell my car, which may or may not work for anyone else. Even if we can't get an 'official' goon thing going, I'd still like to do a few stops along the way, but I don't know who is where, aside from Drakerider, and the BC Goons.

The offer is still there for two seats, but again, I'm not sure if early May will work for anyone else, and again, it's a one way trip for me. If anyone is still interested in a road trip on those conditions, or interested in hosting a goon or two for a day, shoot me an email/catch me on messenger at shortcircuit989 (at) hotmail (dot) com. Or, our neat new email feature through my profile.

Flanker: When are you planning on doing your cross-country trip?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Alright, well I'll definitely be back home by then, so consider this an official invitation for a stop in Thunder Bay.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Blistex posted:

The town that killed the Marathon of Hope. If you stop by GMK tell Goiterman I said hi, and I'll be around to pick up that $550 yugo mauser any day now.

I know. We have that Terry Fox memorial dealie, and to me, the reason we put it up was less about honouring that brave man, and more about saying "hey sorry our lovely town gave you cancer again"

I'm not sure who Goiterman is, but GMK is my shop of choice. Is he an employee? I'm going down on Tuesday to fondle the different 870's they have so I have an idea of what to pick up. I may not BUY one from them, but I do want a chance to look at them, and they have 5 or so in stock.

The prices here are totally hosed. They turned my $8/5 box of 10-gauge slugs into $15/5, which is a little too steep for five loving shells. I've gotten to fire my shotgun a grand total of three times, because I can't justify spending that much to put large holes in objects.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

So after selling my car, I've been on the lookout for a Remington 870. I went to my local shop (GMK for those who are familiar) to see what they had in stock. Because American and Canadian prices vary so much, I was curious of any of these are good deals, or if I should keep looking online/in other shops for a better price.

New 870 Super Express: $429, 2.75" chamber, 26" barrel, synthetic stock
Used 870 Wingmaster: $369, 2.75" chamber, 26" barrel, laminated wood stock
Used 870 Wingmaster: $400, 2.75" chamber, 28" barrel, wood stock
Used 870TB Wingmaster: $579, 3.50" chamber, 28" barrel, wood stock
(Crossposted from the general shotgun thread)

My aim is for a fun range toy where I can take advantage of Canadian Tire's $24/100 target shotshell deal, and nothing 'serious' IE Hunting or home defense. I fondled all of the guns mentioned above, and a few more on top of that, and aside from ware on the magazine tube from the pump, all guns listed are in the "good" to "very good" condition.

From my understanding, a used Wingmaster is superior to a new Express, and that's what the shop has in stock, though they are getting more 870s in, in a few month's time.

Are any of these good enough deals to jump on, or am I forever doomed to lurking CGN's EE for a better deal?

Caedus fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 3, 2008

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Flanker posted:

I want to pick him up and kiss him, that sexy creationist nutbar!

I know. I want to give him a big hug, then buy him a beer.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

You know, I've got copies of my Canadian Safety Firearms Course handbooks lying around, should I throw up some pictures/scans of it in the picture thread for a lark?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Gtab posted:

You realize .pdfs of the whole thing are freely available online right?

Sure, but that wouldn't encourage our American friends to view the sillyness that is our firearms instruction manuals.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Can't you (PAL holders) take under 18, non PAL holders shooting as long as you stay close enough to them that you can take the firearm away if they do something unsafe?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

You know, I heard a hair-brained idea about chopping Ontario into two seperate provinces around around Sudbury; a Southern Ontario and a Northern Ontario. It sounded like a really stupid idea when I heard it.. but now it's not sounding too bad.

I either need to get the gently caress out of this province or buy me some pistols before Toronto up and fucks everything up for me. I'd rather be grandfathered with stuff I own, then not be able to buy anything in the future.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

I'm moving to Vancouver. Who else from TFR besides Gtab live there?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

gently caress yes. I'm doing a trip out west to sell my car and get a feel for schools and living arrangements, and once I've got that worked out, I'm making the move permanently. gently caress this little town and gently caress Ontario, I'm out of here before firearm owners are chained and lead though the streets to be spat on.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

mikerock posted:

If you want to sell your car in Greater Vancouver, we have an emissions regulation system called "Aircare" which your car has to pass. I would look into that before you try to sell it out here.

I'm selling it to my sister, so it's already sold. I just need to drive it out there. Also the car came from the states, so it's already passed a Georgia emissions test, and an Ontario emissions test, I'm pretty sure it'll do ok in BC. But thanks for the heads up, I'll let my sister know about that.

Flanker: There's room for one more if you want to take it.

Cruster!: Thanks. Which island are you referring to?

Caedus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 8, 2008

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Are there any decent places around Vancouver (not indoor ranges) that you guys shoot at? I *finally* found a great gravel pit with proper backstop and everything around my area, and I'm a little scared that I'm going to be stuck in lovely ranges with retarded rules. I mean you guys seem to manage, I hope there's somewhere to go.

It looks like I'll be setting up shop in Burnaby near BCIT by sometime in August. Anyone have any tips for a gun owner moving from buttfuck nowhere with 100,000 people to big scary Vancouver?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

So there are most definitely out of the way in the woods areas to shoot at. Awesome, I am down with that.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Flanker posted:

If I were PM pot smoking, gay marriage and CCW would be mandatory. Yes, I said mandatory.

I would be truly proud. Flanker/Gtab for PM.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

My local gunshop got 10 or so Mosins in for $185 and they were gone within a week. I picked one up for my shooting buddy, but it's in my possession until his paperwork comes though. It's really nice, and wicked fun to shoot.

I think I might get rid of my Grizzly. I love the rifle and all, but $40 mags and next to no spare parts didn't put me off when I bought it, but they do now that I lost my only mag.

I've been looking around and those 10/22s that everyone talks about have really caught my eye.. what does one of them run for used here in Canada? Maybe someone else would appreciate my old Grizzly more than I would, because I'm looking for something cheap and reliable with lots of aftermarket parts for general plinking and a 10/22 really seems to fit the bill.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Awesome. I'm curious if I can get a straight trade for my Grizzly though. I paid $215 for the rifle + scope, and I will pick up a mag for it (because I'm not an rear end in a top hat who's going to sell a rifle without a next to impossible to find magazine) before I sell it. I wonder if I can find someone who will appreciate an older, rare rifle more than I will.

Oh yeah, what's the deal for mag limits on .22s in Canada? I know they make big-rear end mags for the 10/22, but do .22s fall under the normal rifle rules in Canada, ie, 5 round max for semi-auto rifles. That was the only area of magazine cap laws that I didn't quite understand. It's 10 for all pistols, 5 for center-fire semi-autos and 10 for bolt-action rimfires.. but where does the 10/22 fall under that?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Oh god that makes me so happy. I remember all the cap laws for center-fire stuff, but I couldn't recall why I would be clueless as to rimfire mag caps.. turns out they're aren't any!

10/22 with 25 round mag, here I come!

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Phlegmbot posted:

Reading the CFC's site, it seems that you only need one for restricted and prohib guns.

Yes. You don't need an ATT to take your non-restricted guns anywhere.

e- beaten damnit. Let me be useful for once! <>

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Phlegmbot posted:

Let me give you another chance: are M1 carbines non-restricted?

I'm not even bothering to look it up, just so you can help me!

M1 Carbines are indeed non-restricted.

When I talk to people who aren't interested in shooting/new to the sport, it feels awesome to be able to answer tons of questions. Then I come and lurk on here and realized I don't know poo poo compared to most of you guys.

My stupid gunshop isn't even going to have my Grizzly magazines in until after I leave for BC, and even if they did, they couldn't promise me that they'd still be $40, which is what they told me when I bought my rifle.

Damnit, I was too eager to get a .22 rifle when I got my PAL, and under such a tight budget. They must have laughed their asses off when they unloaded the Grizzly on me.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Our website lied to me! To be honest I had no idea, I figured I'd check the Canadian Firearms Center site, and the M1 Carbine wasn't listed under in either the Restricted or Prohibited lists. I recall Gtab or someone saying it wasn't non-restricted, and looked on the website for confirmation.

I have me some learning to do .

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

I'm in the market for a 10/22, and I've been checking out sites like crazy looking for deals. So I've got 2 questions since this is the first time I've actually been able to buy something I found right off the internet.

1) What's the most I should pay for a USED basic model 10/22? The most I should pay for a NEW basic model 10/22?

2) Aside from the usual suspects that I've already been looking over, what are some other decent Canadian websites that have reasonable selections of new and used stuff?

I've noticed that every time a good deal on a used 10/22 comes up on CGN, it's snapped up within minutes so I'm not having any luck with that, and I'm curious if there's any other reasonably frequented sites that I could take a look at.

I feel like a bit of a dork asking, but after getting hosed and mistreated at my local gunshop, I'm not too eager to give them business, and this is my first time actually buying something firearm related off the internet.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Ikantski posted:

http://ellwoodepps.com/ is usually the first place I check. They'll ship to you for $30 extra I think and I've bought used and had them hold onto it for a few months before I could come pick it up.

SIR is listed in the OP (and is now Cabelas Canada) but I also check http://lebaron.ca because it's local and if the planets line up they might have something in stock. Prices are similar and with a lebaron card you get 7% extra off including firearms.

http://wholesalesports.com for price checking as well although I've never bought from them, not sure how their service is.

1) Depends on condition and if you're going to swap out the barrel and stock. $175-200 seems to be the norm for good condition 10/22s

ellwoodepps.com was the first place I checked, and they didn't have any used ones, except an expensive target model. I know they have excellent cheap deals, because I saw one new in box with 3 mags for $199 and the next day it was gone.

I'll check out those other sites too, so thanks for that, and I've gathered that's about what they go for used, but honestly I'm not too adverse to buying a new one either, and I wanted to know what's the most I should pay for one retail, on the internet or otherwise. (If it comes down to getting one locally)

E: loving awesome, I found a brand new basic model for $230. Best I've seen so far. Thanks a bunch.

Caedus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2008

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Actually, I found it on the Wholesale Sports site. Epps DID have one for 199 with a scope, but that's the one that got snapped up over night. I told my shooting buddy I was interested in a 10/22, and the next day he linked me to it, and while I was hemming and hawing over it, he bought the damned thing himself.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

I went to a local gunshow on a hunt for a magazine for my retarded little Grizzly .22. I found a guy who had some, but had sold them the night BEFORE the gunshow, then quoted me $150 for a mag. I paid $150 for the whole goddamn rifle. I understand supply and demand, and that it was my fault for not looking further into the availability of mags when I bought the rifle, but the nice gunsmith man told me I'd be able to find them for $40 or less when I picked it up. Seriously, $150 for a magazine? I wonder if I could find someone to manufacture a whole new one for less than that.

Thank god I've got a 10/22 on the way, because my Grizzly wasn't designed to put rounds in one at a time. It turned a nice little plinker into a coatrack.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

beaver_cheese posted:

Haha, yeah it's not so bad. It's not great, but I have to tell myself it's not so bad so that I don't cry myself to sleep every night.

It really is that bad and you should move to BC.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Gtab posted:

I just want to say

I hate this country and everyone east of Alberta who isn't a TFR goon.

Awww thanks. I'd done my part in Ontario, getting guns into as many hands as possible in the short time I've had my PAL, and even manged to convince a few guys (and girls!) to get their own licenses. Now I get to escape out West, and in due time I'll set up a safehouse for Ontarian gun enthusiasts. I'll set up a route Underground Railroad-style, and provide food, water, and safe place to practice their hobby without fear of persecution! (or really loving stupid public servants)

My buddy joined a pistol club, in order to shoot the Dan Wesson .357 he had bought. He only joined the club to get his ATT and a place to shoot, and it turns out they wanted him to do ANOTHER eight hour course which consists of exactly what the Restricted PAL taught. I only went because it was free, my buddy would have gone alone, and there was a live-fire exercise at the end of the course. And hey.. any excuse to shoot.
The guy condensed it to 5 hours after it was clear we knew what we were doing, but holy gently caress our eyeballs were rolling to the back of our head. ACTS, PROVE - We loving know already! We even have a license that says so! 5 loving hours of stuff we already knew with exactly zero new information.

Then we got to shoot his Buckmark, and his S&W single-action .22. That was fun, I guess, but not worth 5 hours of it. I am now extra-licensed to buy and get an ATT for a handgun in Ontario, should I ever decide to come back in then next 5 years.

But I won't, because gently caress Ontario.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

I really want to participate in my country's political process, but how in good conscience can I vote for any of these political parties, when almost all of them want to deprive me of my right to own and shoot handguns and "military style assault rifles"? I really don't want to be a one-issue voter, but despite the fact that I agree with bits and pieces of all the party's various policies, almost all of them are straight-up insulting regarding firearms. I don't like it when people kill other people with guns, and I'll put up with our licensing system because I know it helps keep criminals and the mentally ill from walking into a local gun shop, picking up a gun and then committing a crime. However for these parties to be saying that I, a fully legal, fully licensed, fully informed citizen shouldn't be allowed to use a pistol for target shooting, or a semi-auto rifle that happens to be black makes me not want to participate at all.

I hate the Conservative Party in all regards except for their firearms policy which is merely apathetic at best. Harper hasn't made anything specifically more difficult for me to do as a firearms owner, and that's the only credit I will give him.

Not that expected any more from them, but that email from the Green Party had me fuming, and the other parties aren't much better. Storage laws already prevent me from using a handgun for self-defense, so why the gently caress can't I target shoot with one? Why, in the face of evidence that most illegal handguns are smuggled in from the States, despite numerous examples of areas going handgun-free and not see any drop in gun-related violence, is the only viable solution that anyone will pay attention to is "BAN THEM ALL!!!!".

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the more I hear about this the more uneasy I get. I love guns. I love reading about them, I love talking about them, I love learning about them, I love shooting them. I enjoy it as a hobby, I enjoy (some of) the firearms community, and my future ambition is to work with them for a living. Why then, despite spending 28 hours in a classroom learning safety, despite having a government issue license, and having all my firearms directly registered to the government is taking my rights away to own and shoot the guns I'd like to shoot the only way to reduce gun crime?

I want to use my vote to have my say in what policy's my country and government adopts.. but what do I do when no party is saying what I want said? What do I do when every political party in the country wants to ban my hobby instead of actively trying to fight the crime that's already going on? I want to vote for a party that wants to enact common sense gun laws, but none exist.

I love my country, but drat your political parties really suck.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Hate was a bit strong of a word. I dislike them for attacking the DMCA and all that crazy copyright stuff, telling me that if I own a CD I can't rip it and put it on my Ipod. A few other things too but I don't want to go into it right now. Harper has done a decent job in the way that he hasn't made my life more difficult in any way. I don't hate the Conservatives, I just think they've pulled a few dick moves.

I dislike pretty much all of the political parties. I think the word I'm looking for is "disenfranchised". When I read though the different parties' agendas on their websites, I'm usually half "Wow that sounds like a really good idea" and half "who could be that loving stupid?". I would really like a party I can get behind 100%, but none exist.

I like a lot of the Green Party's ideas, I like a lot of the NDP's ideas too. I even voted NDP last election.. but all of these parties have knee-jerk reactions to shootings and violent crime, and the only proposed solutions I see coming out is to ban all handguns and semi-automatic rifles. The average Joe Canadian doesn't own a handgun or a semi-auto, so when the different parties talk about banning them, it doesn't affect them, so they don't care. Vote passes, there's another gun I'll never be able to own because someone in the NDP thought it looked scary!

I feel sort of how the Democrats in TFR in the US feel - they want to vote Democratic because they agree with most of what Obama has to say, but they feel uneasy because both he and Biden have an anti-gun track record. If I thought Jack Layton wasn't going to pounce on legal gun owners the second he got into office, I wouldn't think twice about voting NDP. Now I just wanna vote for the guy who's going to gently caress me the least when it comes to my hobby and my future livelihood.

I don't see anything wrong with loving my country, Gtab. That's not to say I can't be critical when my leader AND his opposition have their heads up their asses, but Canada has been very good to me. I've never been shot, stabbed or mugged on the street, I've never had crippling medical bills for an injury, and I got a good education in Catholic schools that didn't have an issue teaching me evolution in Science class. I know you got screwed pretty hard by the systems we have in place after your injury, so your mileage may vary.

Besides I get to be a dual citizen so when both countries go loving nuts I'll just live along the 200 yard wide border and obey no man's laws.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Ikantski posted:

The Canadian conservatives are basically pro-gun American democrats, I don't see the problem here. I'm just curious, are you a journalism student at Carleton in Ottawa?

I don't see how you can trust NDP at all. How can you trust them when they say poo poo like this

GLOBAL APOCALYPSE UNLESS YOU VOTE NDP!

I've got my sign up, this is the first election I've actually wanted a party to get a majority. I didn't trust the CPC anti-gay/anti-abortion agenda before but they seem to be over that.

No, I'm a trades student from a certain Liberal stronghold in Northern Ontario.

And no, I don't trust the NDP. I don't agree 100%, or even 50% with any of our political parties, and that's why I feel how I feel. I'm stuck in the middle where I think half of any party says is a great idea, and half is insulting bullshit.

I'll even admit to not following Canadian politics that closely because I'm just so turned off of our political process. There's a lot of talk about extremes, and in the end, the party in power stays in the middle and tries not to rock the boat. I would love a lot of the heathcare and environmental policies that the Green Party and NDP have been talking about, but then they go and say poo poo like that and I feel like I'm throwing my vote away.

I'm tried of political hot air on both sides of the border, and I just want a drat party who will let their positive results speak for themselves instead of that goddamn Dion picture showing up in every attack ad.

However I'm living in a dream world where it rains rainbows and unicorns, so the best I can do is find the party who wants to take away the least amount of my rights (well, I guess I would call them privilages since we don't have a "right" to firearms in Canada) as a firearms owner. I just want to make things go bang with cool guns occasionally, why must I be treated like I'm on the verge of committing mass murder because I want semi-automatic rifles and handguns to shoot with? Especally after all the government licensing and registration I went though to obtain them in the first place?

If any of the parties manage to ban handguns, I want the 100 or so dollars I spent getting my restricted license, plus payment for time spent in a classroom.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

I am in your city now, Gtab. Tell me where the hell I can go shooting.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Wicked. I'm in limbo for the next week or so until my student clears and I can put a deposit on a place to live, but after that I'll check those places out. Unfortunately I'm going to be losing my car soon so that won't be an option to get around so I'll have to figure something out.

We should get together sometime for a shoot or a beer or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

mikerock posted:

I shoot at Thompson Mountain in Pitt Meadows, and it is never busy. http://www.tmsa.net/

I'm looking to go shooting with a friend on Friday, care to tell me a little more about this place? The website looks good, and from what I understand, it's $20 for a day pass.